Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EA113 Connecting Rods

1. 06-18-2020 04:36 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I can assure you, that will never happen. I may have about 100HP with this 1.8L now. With a 3 speed automatic transmission, it's a slug. It just needs a few more ponies and a lower ratio R&P so it can keep up with traffic.

I'm certain the rods are probably over built for my use, but size/price matters and these fit the budget nicely. I'm sorry that they will not be used for some impressive numbers.
      you never know, they might get re-incarnated again some day in the future

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-18-2020 09:49 PM #27
      Without a doubt. I have a set of Suspension Techniques sway bars that have been on 4 VW Mk1's, a set of Ronal R8 15" wheels on 3, and a Drake adjustable cam gear on 5. The cars get totaled and the good stuff is taken out.

4. 06-24-2020 12:02 PM #28
      I've already jumped that hurdle. What little bushing that is in the small end of the Golf R 21mm rod is not worn out. That is what Mike [machinist] indicated.

The EA888 rods are too thin on the big end. The EA113 pistons seem to be more expensive. I researched this for several weeks and thought that I could use the EA113 rods with the EA888 pistons. The EA113 rod journal is the same as the ABA journal so I should be good there. If I researched this a bit more, I would have located some pistons with a 20mm pin. That way I would have had more choices/cheaper with the rods. Fortunately, a guy named Oliver PM'd me and saved the day.

Right now my biggest unknown is the compression ratio that I will have. Something tells me a bit of butchery will be needed to get me where I want to be.

Again, this is not going to be any type of hot rod. Just something to move this hunk of metal down the road a bit quicker. Trying to be cheap and reliable and that is a fine line. Highly doubt if it will ever reach reach red line or even spin the tires.
      if you have the problem of too much cr along with the big end catching the intermediate shaft, you could always offset grind the crank big ends slightly? of course you will lose a few cc's, but probably not much.

5. 06-24-2020 12:04 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by garryt View Post
      if you have the problem of too much cr along with the big end catching the intermediate shaft, you could always offset grind the crank big ends slightly? of course you will lose a few cc's, but probably not much.
      1mm offset will leave you with 1963cc, which is not to drastic

6. 06-25-2020 10:08 AM #30
      There is a lot of room in the combustion chamber to open up. I can lower the piston dish too. Those are the two options I will be going with.

As for the intermediate shaft, my goal is to use the original 1.8 gear. I do not believe I have to machine the gear smaller. I have a trick up my sleeve and if it works, I will post the results.

7. 06-25-2020 12:40 PM #31
      There is a lot of room in the combustion chamber to open up. I can lower the piston dish too. Those are the two options I will be going with.

As for the intermediate shaft, my goal is to use the original 1.8 gear. I do not believe I have to machine the gear smaller. I have a trick up my sleeve and if it works, I will post the results.
      are you by any chance, thinking of shifting the intermediate shaft towards the gearbox end slightly?

8. 06-26-2020 11:14 AM #32
      I just confirmed yesterday that if you press the gear slightly over 2mm [crudely measured, it's 2.1mm] off the shaft, there is plenty of room. The freeplay of the distributor gear does not seem to be effected. I will be making a shim then drill a hole. Once the hole is drilled, I'll tap it for a bolt to hold the gear from moving.

More pics https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...or-stroker-1-8

I should close this tread because this has nothing to do with a EA113 engine. I appreciate all the information about rods and Oliver for selling me the rods he had. I'll update this thread when I start to build this abortion of mine.
      Last edited by Butcher; 06-26-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12