Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Lighted Door Sill

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI SE
      05-23-2020 04:22 PM #1
      Recently bought a 17 GTI SE with the factory illuminated red door sills. Previous owner had been in there and mangled the ribbon cable, thus destroying. I've looked and looked through the OEM parts catalog, but can't find the light assy. Hell... I can't even find the entire door sill trim it fit into!

Anyone have a part number for the light assy or where it could found in the parts catalog?

TIA, Marty in Kerrville
      Marty in Kerrville

2017 GTI SE

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-23-2020 05:20 PM #2
      Have you tried the dealer ? Sometimes trim pieces like that have eluded me in the past with former VAG cars. There may even be a part number on the item itself .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Past: 2001 Mk4 Jetta 1.8t w/slushbox, 2012 Mk6 2.5L Golf 3Dr 5MT. Now: MK7 Golf 5Dr 5MT
      05-23-2020 11:56 PM #3
      Driver: 5GM853369BDAT
      Passenger: 5GM853370BDAT

It is for the entire lower sill front to back.
      VCDS Coding in Long Island, NY. PM for details. I specialize in all things Mk7.

2015 Mk7 Golf 1.8TSI S w/Sunroof, LP, DAP

Track my Fuelly page

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI SE
      05-24-2020 05:23 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by LIJetta18t View Post
      Driver: 5GM853369BDAT
      Passenger: 5GM853370BDAT

It is for the entire lower sill front to back.
      Thanks for the help. I looked at that piece several times, but it just didn't look right.
      Wonder if I can just the light assy? I'm guessing not...

Thanks again!
      Marty in Kerrville

2017 GTI SE

7. 05-24-2020 04:44 PM #5
      About 9 months after I purchased new my 2018 GTI SE MT, the driver's side lighted red strip on the door interior (just below the window) went dark. I thought a simple bulb replacement was needed, but no -- the dealer said the entire inner door panel needed to be replaced! And further, that there were no replacement door panels in North America at that time. One was ordered in January 2019, and I still don't have it.

Obviously it's a very minor issue that the red strip doesn't light up, but it's a cool feature to have that red strip lit at night, and there's a lack of symmetry that the passenger side strip does light up. It's an annoyance that something so small hasn't been able to be resolved.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SEL
      05-24-2020 06:57 PM #6
      I don’t understand why they chose to use that paper thin ribbon cable design on a part of the car that commonly sees foot traffic etc, just so silly. So many other wierd little cost cutting things they’ve done that irk me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk