VWVortex.com - Help needed to find part number of roof antenna base of VW Golf MK3
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help needed to find part number of roof antenna base of VW Golf MK3

1. 05-25-2020 09:08 AM #1
      Hi all,

I am having a hard time finding the part number of the antenna base that is on the roof of my VW Golf MK3. I want to buy a replacement one but can't seem to find one. Hopefully if I find the part number it might help my search.

Thanks for your help.

- Mike

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      97 GTI VR6
      05-25-2020 10:35 AM #2
      A quick Google search says 3A0-035-505C

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by vento86 View Post
      Welcome to the vortex, where we smash all of your hopes and dreams.

4. 05-25-2020 01:37 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 97Ginster View Post
      A quick Google search says 3A0-035-505C

Thanks a lot for the info. Believe me I tried various Google searches but didn't manage to find it. 🙂

Do you know the name of the connector plug it uses? Most likely I will have access only to an OEM part and want to make sure that I get the connector plug right?

Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      97 GTI VR6
      05-25-2020 03:09 PM #4
      After a couple more searches that one I listed might be the full antenna assembly, but should point you in the right direction. It looks like some listed for Mk4s fit as well. As far as the connector goes it's a snap fit coax connector which is precrimped on the cable.

7. 05-25-2020 03:19 PM #5
      After a couple more searches that one I listed might be the full antenna assembly, but should point you in the right direction. It looks like some listed for Mk4s fit as well. As far as the connector goes it's a snap fit coax connector which is precrimped on the cable.

Is the “ snap fit coax connector” the same as the RAKU 2 connector?

Thanks.

- Mike

8. Member
      Vehicles
      97 GTI VR6
      05-25-2020 03:49 PM #6
      Looks to be. Sorry I didn't know it's technical name.

Vehicles
      2003/VW/GTI1.8T
      05-25-2020 10:54 PM #7
      Have you looked on www.ecstuning.com by application

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2003 MK4 K&W V3 clubsport suspension, GC Camber plates, Shine Racing rear swaybar, 3"TB Forced-motion exhaust, Meistro Tuning, S3 strut bar, Baily DV, Modified Factory Airbox, VF engineering Motor mounts, TT front Brakes, USRT stage 2 Subframe and lower control arms.

10. 05-26-2020 02:13 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by xspeedracer View Post
      Have you looked on www.ecstuning.com by application

I am based in Europe so my best bet is Ebay UK. I found the below that seems to be compatible.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antenna-F...oAAOSwxw1ZsqX~

Vehicles
      94 Golf
      05-27-2020 12:46 AM #9
      I did the replacement last year. Here are the OE part numbers you want.

1J0035501F = antenna base
      1J0035437 = antenna nut (the base doesnt come with this part)
      3A0051849 = antenna mast

The OE connector looks like the RAKU2 connector. When installing, put some spiral tubing around the section of coax that comes out to make sure that section doesn't kink or bend too sharply (maximizes reception).

Don't buy any of the aftermarket stuff. Those Hirschman or Fuba parts are garbage. I bought them all and the reception is worthless compared to the OE part. Even the aftermarket antenna mast that looks like the OE was garbage. I was able to swap against the aftermaket bits and they definitely had worse reception. My ugly rubber disintegrating OE antenna had better reception that the knockoff stuff.

It is likely the RAKU2 is not great. The aftermarket base I had looked exactly like the OE, and functioned when in the shade or a cold day. When the temperature went up above 80F on a sunny day, the reception turned to garbage. I would assume the parts they used were not temperature stable so don't even waste your money on knockoffs.

Vehicles
      2003/VW/GTI1.8T
      05-27-2020 01:53 AM #10
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ly/3a0035505c/
      They do ship to Europe

2003 MK4 K&W V3 clubsport suspension, GC Camber plates, Shine Racing rear swaybar, 3"TB Forced-motion exhaust, Meistro Tuning, S3 strut bar, Baily DV, Modified Factory Airbox, VF engineering Motor mounts, TT front Brakes, USRT stage 2 Subframe and lower control arms.

13. 05-28-2020 07:29 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by shuttle pilot View Post
      I did the replacement last year. Here are the OE part numbers you want.

1J0035501F = antenna base
      1J0035437 = antenna nut (the base doesnt come with this part)
      3A0051849 = antenna mast

The OE connector looks like the RAKU2 connector. When installing, put some spiral tubing around the section of coax that comes out to make sure that section doesn't kink or bend too sharply (maximizes reception).

Don't buy any of the aftermarket stuff. Those Hirschman or Fuba parts are garbage. I bought them all and the reception is worthless compared to the OE part. Even the aftermarket antenna mast that looks like the OE was garbage. I was able to swap against the aftermaket bits and they definitely had worse reception. My ugly rubber disintegrating OE antenna had better reception that the knockoff stuff.

It is likely the RAKU2 is not great. The aftermarket base I had looked exactly like the OE, and functioned when in the shade or a cold day. When the temperature went up above 80F on a sunny day, the reception turned to garbage. I would assume the parts they used were not temperature stable so don't even waste your money on knockoffs.
      Thanks for the info. The part numbers are different from the ones posted earlier, but since you have done this work before I’ll go with these instead. It’s strange that in general there is confusion about these part numbers.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      97 GTI VR6
      05-28-2020 02:24 PM #12
      The one I posted was the entire assembly which is basically all the part numbers listed above that are individual. Like I said a "quick" Google search of mk3 VW antenna brought me to VW's website. Part numbers do get superceded since these cars are over 20 years old and will still work.

15. 05-29-2020 02:39 PM #13
      The one I posted was the entire assembly which is basically all the part numbers listed above that are individual. Like I said a "quick" Google search of mk3 VW antenna brought me to VW's website. Part numbers do get superceded since these cars are over 20 years old and will still work.

Thanks for the clarification.

16. 05-30-2020 08:33 AM #14
      Hi again. When I check VW's website (parts section), it says that the antenna base with part #1J0035501F is for the Beetle and not the Golf. Do you know why that is? Could there be another part number for the Golf MK3?

Here is the link to the VW's website: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/...J0035501F.html

Thanks.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      97 GTI VR6
      05-30-2020 11:00 AM #15
      Could be a misprint. It was verified by shuttle pilot that bought and installed the parts and they fit.

Vehicles
      94 Golf
      06-04-2020 07:39 PM #16
      Hey espana23, I checked my install pictures of what got put in and you are right there is a difference. I somehow got a cable that adapted the Beetle antenna to work with the gender for MK3. It must have come from some of the aftermarket antenna bases I tried or an OEM base i got from a VR6 car .

3A0035505C is probably the more correct one if you can't check against what you have on ECS tuning. If you do want to see if the cheaper beetle antenna works, pulling down that section of headliner is not hard. Just need to pull the center section near the hatch and just the top portions of the side trim down to get access to the antenna

Beetle = 1J0035501F = https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...se/1j0035501f/

MK3 = 3A0035505C = https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ly/3a0035505c/

19. 06-30-2020 01:30 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by shuttle pilot View Post
      Hey espana23, I checked my install pictures of what got put in and you are right there is a difference. I somehow got a cable that adapted the Beetle antenna to work with the gender for MK3. It must have come from some of the aftermarket antenna bases I tried or an OEM base i got from a VR6 car .

3A0035505C is probably the more correct one if you can't check against what you have on ECS tuning. If you do want to see if the cheaper beetle antenna works, pulling down that section of headliner is not hard. Just need to pull the center section near the hatch and just the top portions of the side trim down to get access to the antenna

Beetle = 1J0035501F = https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...se/1j0035501f/

MK3 = 3A0035505C = https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ly/3a0035505c/
      Hi again. I did not see your reply until now. Yes, I think I will need check if the cheaper option works as the complete assembly one is very expensive. Thanks for your reply.