Thread: Introducing The All-New 2021 Acura TLX - Type S

1. 07-31-2020 02:15 PM #151

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      07-31-2020 02:52 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Honestly IMO the 2.0T with SH-AWD will hit the sweet spot. Expectations on the Type-S are too high. Accord 2.0T is a legit quick car, trapping like a Golf R in the low 100s. AWD will just make that power much more useful. And of course the 2.0T takes to mods like a fish to water. Plus the 2.0T will likely be meaningfully lighter overall and more importantly on the nose. No slow car fast or contrarian Jalopnik BS. It's cool that the Type-S is coming but I just get a big feeling people are gonna be disappointed.
      in the accord its fine, but something wonky is going on in the RDX since its never been tested to even break into the 5s although it should be. Some combination of turbo lag, 10AT shens and shawd tuning is probably the reason here.

I will reserve judgement until the actual tests come out since its supposed to be a new version of shawd
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 02:56 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      in the accord its fine, but something wonky is going on in the RDX since its never been tested to even break into the 5s although it should be. Some combination of turbo lag, 10AT shens and shawd tuning is probably the reason here.

I will reserve judgement until the actual tests come out since its supposed to be a new version of shawd
      I like our old-tech V6 6AT RDX way more than the new turbo one the few times I've driven it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      07-31-2020 03:00 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I like our old-tech V6 6AT RDX way more than the new turbo one the few times I've driven it.
      pre covid i asked for it every trip in for scheduled service and the POS was always out. But we have tons of ILX's lol.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 03:05 PM #155
      pre covid i asked for it every trip in for scheduled service and the POS was always out. But we have tons of ILX's lol.
      We only get a service loaner for warranty work and for more extensive service. For an oil change/tire rotation it's "have a granola bar and bottle of water in the waiting area."

At least Jeep service you get a good warm cookie and a self-service soda machine.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      07-31-2020 03:41 PM #156
      The first generation turbo RDX felt very spunky despite 'only' being rated mid-high 6s.

Reminds me of the changeover where VW Tiguan went from sporty to less-sporty all because VW re-tuned the power train for fuel economy.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      07-31-2020 03:43 PM #157

The Accord 2.0T weighs as much as 700lb less than the RDX, and is slipperier enough that drag might even be a factor before 60MPH. RDX is slower than I expected though; you're right. In any case I am optimistic. I have zero interest in replacing my TLX with another one but I'm looking forward to seeing Honda finally meet the potential of its bin of parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      07-31-2020 03:58 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima View Post
      I came here to type exactly that. Classic TCL. The Clown Lounge.
      Wait, what?

I think 355hp is pretty pathetic. Acura makes a huge deal about bringing back the "Type-S" nameplate with a brand new model, lots of fanfare ensues . . . and . . . then . . . it's an also-ran. This is classic modern Acura.

"But it will sell for $6,000 cheaper than an S4!" "But it will be more reliable!" "But it will hold its value better!"

I am sick of this. For once I wanted Acura to say "**** it" and build an S4/M340i/E43 killer. Instead, they built car that appears to be ALMOST as good, but not quite. Sound familiar?

As I stated earlier in this thread, there is no mechanical reason they couldn't do a 400hp engine. It would still have a lower power/displacement ratio than a 2.0T Accord.

Once again, Acura took the safe route.

Maybe I will change my mind when I drive it. But for now? Yawn.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 04:14 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Wait, what?

I think 355hp is pretty pathetic. Acura makes a huge deal about bringing back the "Type-S" nameplate with a brand new model, lots of fanfare ensues . . . and . . . then . . . it's an also-ran. This is classic modern Acura.

"But it will sell for $6,000 cheaper than an S4!" "But it will be more reliable!" "But it will hold its value better!"

I am sick of this. For once I wanted Acura to say "**** it" and build an S4/M340i/E43 killer. Instead, they built car that appears to be ALMOST as good, but not quite. Sound familiar?

As I stated earlier in this thread, there is no mechanical reason they couldn't do a 400hp engine. It would still have a lower power/displacement ratio than a 2.0T Accord.

This is why I ultimately got sick of Acura, and to some extent Honda.

The Honda I liked growing up built cars like the original NSX and the Integra GS-R, and the S2000, and they had this awesome wonderful high-raving engines, and they weren't perfect because they were down on torque, but they had character. They had this feeling like "if you want torque, go buy something else, we built this because it revs to the moon and that's fun and you need to work to keep it in the power band but we've given you the world's best stick shift with which to do it so it's an ffing blast, not a chore, go have fun. And oh by the way beat the snot out of it because it will last forever and takes the same maintenance as that Civic over there."

That was FUN, that was INTERESTING and EXCITING.

Now H/A is like a nerd with glasses on saying "well we calculated that you're only going to need this much horsepower and thus that much brakes and so we built exactly that because it's efficient and blah blah blah" and no one cares.

When I got my Jeep, I looked at a Ridgeline long and hard. And I almost got one. But what I kept coming back to was the idea that they gave you exactly the capacity they thought you might need as a homeowner. And that's probably smart, and good for business and everything. But goddamn is it depressing and boring. "Hey we know your life is boring and sucks and basically the most exciting thing you do is go to the home center on the weekend and get some mulch so that's what this truck can do."

How bleak and terrible. So instead I went out and got a first-year Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat product that will probably burst into flames at any moment, and one of its claims to fame is that you can, in 10 minutes, fold the windshield down. Why on earth would you want to fold the windshield down? I have no friggin' idea, it's stupid. But I love that you CAN because Jeep is sitting there going "Yeah I dunno why you morons might want to fold the windshield down, that's idiotic, but you wanted it so here's a toolkit to do it and a little card that gives you instructions on how, go have fun you big dumbass." And that attitude is pervasive through the whole thing. Do you need 30" of water fording capacity? Almost certainly not, but not only are we going to give it to you, we're going to put a placard on the tailgate telling you that you can so when you're loading mulch at Home Depot you can daydream about "dammit next weekend I'm taking this thing into the woods and going water fording and I have no idea why but doesn't that sound like fun?" You know what you daydream about when you're loading mulch into a Ridgeline? Probably doing your taxes or making meatloaf for dinner or hoping you get creamed by a semi on the way home so you don't have to make another $500 payment on this $40k load of bleakness you've bought into.

And that's the same cynicism in this TLX. "Well technically the competitors have precisely an average of 352.87 horsepower so we gave it the same thing so it's class competitive and oil changes cost $25 less and it will be worth $1700 more when you trade it away in 5 ennui-filled years."

It's what you NEED, but you know what I WANT? Stuff that I don't need. More capability for the sake of having capability.

Maybe it will drive like sex, I dunno. But probably not.

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T
      07-31-2020 04:23 PM #160
      Honestly IMO the 2.0T with SH-AWD will hit the sweet spot. Expectations on the Type-S are too high. Accord 2.0T is a legit quick car, trapping like a Golf R in the low 100s. AWD will just make that power much more useful. And of course the 2.0T takes to mods like a fish to water. Plus the 2.0T will likely be meaningfully lighter overall and more importantly on the nose. No slow car fast or contrarian Jalopnik BS. It's cool that the Type-S is coming but I just get a big feeling people are gonna be disappointed.
      Agreed, I think the V6 will be great, but I think there will be real value in a 2.0T/SH-AWD car with an S-type appearance package for like 39k.

12. 08-01-2020 02:21 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by VWturbonium View Post
      Agreed, I think the V6 will be great, but I think there will be real value in a 2.0T/SH-AWD car with an S-type appearance package for like 39k.
      A 4 banger turbo for 39k is a value nowadays Im getting old haha (I know the near luxury segment is dominated by 2L turbo mills)

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      08-01-2020 06:34 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      A 4 banger turbo for 39k is a value nowadays Im getting old haha (I know the near luxury segment is dominated by 2L turbo mills)
      And they just sound so good, too, right?

Blech! I guess they could just pipe in fake sound with a speaker.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

14. Member
      Vehicles
      08-01-2020 09:50 PM #163
      Wait, what?

If they made this a German sport sedan killer, it would be too expensive and nobody would buy it, including you, T_R_S and all the other chest thumping enthusiasts who would cry when Acura justifiably killed it off.

Frankly I think people should be happy Acura put any money into this whatsoever.......................... sport sedans are dying in their only market, so this is purely a marketing/branding exercise.

I agree that it's probably wise to actually wait and drive the car before totally writing it off. Seems stupid to complain about how great Acura used to be, but then also complain that they don't fulfill all your hopes and dreams with a girthy spec sheet. Acuras, including the real NSX, were always underspecced and underpriced compared to the Germans, and had to be driven to be appreciated. This is actually the first Acura since the TL SH-AWD that can actually be mentioned in the same conversation as German offerings.

All this thread needs is a "mAn I hOpE tHeY pUt A 6mT iN iT.... i'D 'SeRiOuSlY cOnSiDeR iT'" to go round out "meaningless **** dudes say about cars on the internet to sound like enthusiasts" bingo.

Honestly it would have made more sense for Acura to replace this with a damn crossover and yet people are still not satisfied.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-01-2020 09:58 PM #164
      If they made this a German sport sedan killer, it would be too expensive and nobody would buy it, including you, T_R_S and all the other chest thumping enthusiasts who would cry when Acura justifiably killed it off.

Frankly I think people should be happy Acura put any money into this whatsoever.......................... sport sedans are dying in their only market, so this is purely a marketing/branding exercise.

I agree that it's probably wise to actually wait and drive the car before totally writing it off. Seems stupid to complain about how great Acura used to be, but then also complain that they don't fulfill all your hopes and dreams with a girthy spec sheet. Acuras, including the real NSX, were always underspecced and underpriced compared to the Germans, and had to be driven to be appreciated. This is actually the first Acura since the TL SH-AWD that can actually be mentioned in the same conversation as German offerings.

All this thread needs is a "mAn I hOpE tHeY pUt A 6mT iN iT.... i'D 'SeRiOuSlY cOnSiDeR iT'" to go round out "meaningless **** dudes say about cars on the internet to sound like enthusiasts" bingo.

Honestly it would have made more sense for Acura to replace this with a damn crossover and yet people are still not satisfied.
      I’ve bought exactly two new cars for myself my whole life, and you know what they both were? Acura sedans. Don’t give me this “you wouldn’t buy it” BS, I’ve put my money where my mouth is, twice.

16. 08-01-2020 10:06 PM #165
      Wait, what?

The current S4/M340 are a big yawn...So I will save some money, gain a ton more reliability and get this yawn instead.
      Last edited by MonsterM; 08-02-2020 at 09:46 AM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      08-01-2020 10:11 PM #166
      Honda/Acura were NEVER famous for selling big HP products. Even when in their "golden (vtec) era", their cars were never about big HP. It was more like high output with a relative small engine (HP/L). The very first Honda/Acura that emphasis high HP is probably the 2nd gen NSX which is a sales failure.

I really don't need Acura to directly compete with German leasing special brands. Acura is always just a Honda+ to me. I rather Acura give something much better than Honda current offering like this TLX Type S than something old and outdated with a more expensive badge like ILX (a tard up 9th gen Civic ). Why the fxxk I want to buy a 20xx ILX when I can buy a 10th gen Civic sedan, coupe, si, Type R??

Think twice to ask for Acura (Lexus) to make products that will comparatively compete with the German leasing special brands - vehicle that run good for 4 years and artificially jacked up the residual value so they can lease for $500/month.

Most of the people I know are buying Acura/Lexus and leasing BMW/Mercedes/Audi.
      Last edited by Avus; 08-01-2020 at 10:22 PM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08-01-2020 10:36 PM #167
      I’ve bought exactly two new cars for myself my whole life, and you know what they both were? Acura sedans. Don’t give me this “you wouldn’t buy it” BS, I’ve put my money where my mouth is, twice.
      Then you should know better than anyone how Acuras tend to be greater than the sum of their parts or the girthiness of their spec sheets

Hoping or expecting for Acura to blow the spec sheets out of the water, or even worse, writing off the car before even driving it, displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the brand and its history

If I were in the market for such a car this TLX would be one of the first things I'd check out. Specs are just one piece of the puzzle

To a degree I share your frustration... for example the 2G Legend literally had everything in place to go RWD besides a driveshaft + rear diff + accommodating suspension, but they didn't. That's just what Acura does

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-01-2020 11:23 PM #168
      Then you should know better than anyone how Acuras tend to be greater than the sum of their parts or the girthiness of their spec sheets

Hoping or expecting for Acura to blow the spec sheets out of the water, or even worse, writing off the car before even driving it, displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the brand and its history

If I were in the market for such a car this TLX would be one of the first things I'd check out. Specs are just one piece of the puzzle

To a degree I share your frustration... for example the 2G Legend literally had everything in place to go RWD besides a driveshaft + rear diff + accommodating suspension, but they didn't. That's just what Acura does
      Exactly. Go back to my rant...they aren't special enough. When Honda did make a special car I bought that too, and have kept it for 13 years.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      08-02-2020 07:35 AM #169
      Exactly. Go back to my rant...they aren't special enough. When Honda did make a special car I bought that too, and have kept it for 13 years.
      Aren't special enough for what? None of its German competitors are special either. They are all generic practical number generators. This is like crying because a Camry doesn't thrill you like a 911 R. No **** Sherlock

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      08-02-2020 11:11 AM #170
      Aren't special enough for what? None of its German competitors are special either. They are all generic practical number generators. This is like crying because a Camry doesn't thrill you like a 911 R. No **** Sherlock
      I guess the argument is the Germans don't have to be special. German luxury cars are the gold standard that do almost everything right.

What is Acura bringing to the table that sways shoppers from the gold standard.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      08-02-2020 11:42 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      I guess the argument is the Germans don't have to be special. German luxury cars are the gold standard that do almost everything right.

What is Acura bringing to the table that sways shoppers from the gold standard.
      These two statements seem kind of contradictory and speak to a broader point. The Germans don't have to be special. They can phone cars in like the F3x/F10 and still sell by the boatload. Meanwhile Japanese automakers have already made German beaters like the OG LS and Infiniti G, but are still considered second tier players.

So what can Acura bring to the table to sway shoppers from the German big 3? Absolutely nothing; someone with their heart set on an M340i/S4/C43 wouldn't be caught dead in an Acura (gag me with a spoon, I can't EVEN), no matter how good it is. Excuses like platform potential, motorsport cred and other horse**** would begin flying immediately. So Acura might have benchmarked those cars but this thing's main's competitors will be cars like the G70, Stinger, CT5, IS, Q50 etc., against which it compares very favorably.

Germans don't even care about sport sedans anymore; all the originality and uniqueness is gone in pursuit of numbers and cost-friendly iteration. If the leaders aren't trying why should anyone else?

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-02-2020 01:20 PM #172
      There are lots of little things.

Look at the brakes on a German car and compare them to a Japanese one. My TSX used to cook its brakes after slowing the car from 80 to 50 a few times in the freeway; that doesn’t happen with the Germans. My mom’s A6 2.0T has gigantic stoppers in comparison. Acura used to know better, they did Brembos on the TL-S. Then they cheaped out and their brakes sucked.

Vehicles
      '18 Mazda 6 GT-Reserve, '89 Honda Prelude
      08-02-2020 01:57 PM #173
      I can’t help but think… If Pontiac was still around today, the TLX Type-S is the kind of car they would have made. To me it’s over styled inside and out with no one cohesive design theme. It just seems like bits and pieces of different visions put together. Though, I would have to say Pontiac would probably have put a ridiculously big motor in it because they have access to the other divisions and their drive trains. As much as Acura tries, they are still just “Honda plus”.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08-02-2020 01:59 PM #174
      There are lots of little things.

Look at the brakes on a German car and compare them to a Japanese one. My TSX used to cook its brakes after slowing the car from 80 to 50 a few times in the freeway; that doesn’t happen with the Germans. My mom’s A6 2.0T has gigantic stoppers in comparison. Acura used to know better, they did Brembos on the TL-S. Then they cheaped out and their brakes sucked.
      So you didn't even bother to look up the specs you deem to be not "FUN and EXCITING" enough? TLX Type-S comes with Brembos sir

And BMW was notorious for having underspecced brakes on their full on ///M cars for a long time. Do you actually have a point or are you just doing your best choccofrappe impression?

26. 08-02-2020 02:02 PM #175
      TAcura used to know better, they did Brembos on the TL-S. Then they cheaped out and their brakes sucked.
      I believe 2004-2008 TL Manuals only had brembo brakes also

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast