VWVortex.com - OK, What's Up With The Riot Briks?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556
    Results 1,376 to 1,389 of 1389

    Thread: OK, What's Up With The Riot Briks?

    1. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 28th, 2000
      Posts
      8,861
      Yesterday 03:29 PM #1376
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      This just popped into my feed. Seems appropriate.
      That you are frustrated by a conversation shouldn't suggest to you that it was anyone else's goal.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member A.Wilder's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2003
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      29,288
      Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      Yesterday 04:10 PM #1377
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      That you are frustrated by a conversation shouldn't suggest to you that it was anyone else's goal.
      Oh you aren't achieving your goal of frustrating me, if that is your goal. I rarely read your posts. The majority of your posts are "dopey" to use the parlance of your lord.
      signatures are annoying, right?

    4. Member Code Red!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 22nd, 2011
      Location
      I'm a little upset about a bad sexual episode I had last night.
      Posts
      4,060
      Vehicles
      2015 Forester, 2006 CR-V
      Yesterday 05:09 PM #1378
      What sort of windshield and windows or how many tints do I need to get to protect myself from these briks when driving into protestors? Seems like the current fad, so I gotta get things ready.
      A loving welcome from TCL

      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Life is way more fun with people you enjoy being around.

    5. Senior Member Silly_me's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 1999
      Location
      The Blueass State
      Posts
      28,265
      Yesterday 05:14 PM #1379
      Quote Originally Posted by Code Red! View Post
      What sort of windshield and windows or how many tints do I need to get to protect myself from these briks when driving into protestors?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

      Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

    6. Member vwtool's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      4,664
      Yesterday 06:33 PM #1380
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      ...Your wrong, because you're employing an ancient error of supposing that equality-of-outcomes is justice. That's an error common among Communists...
      I'm not advocating for some absolute "equality of outcomes," but I am saying our outcomes clearly indicate systemic racism is a huge issue. If you think our current system is some meritocratic paradise, tell me how do you explain the huge gap between white and black citizens in so many quality of life metrics?

      And I'm gonna keep quoting you every time you say 'communist' because it's just f**king hilarious.




      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      ...Most slaves imported to the U.S. were enslaved by other Africans, not the traders or the tiny number of owners in the U.S. More Africans voluntarily immigrated to the U.S. after importing slaves was banned, than were imported involuntarily as slaves. Its not really clear how many of the ~40M black Americans are mainly descended from those less than 4M slaves, versus the more than 4M subsequent African immigrants and other free people.

      If a relatively smaller branch of one's family tree was enslaved longer ago than many non-black Americans whose families more recently escaped Communist slavery, that's an odd thing upon which to build one's identity...
      ...and this is what happens when we let the morally bankrupt play with logic and statistics. Which is why the Twain quote you ignored was so apt, by the way. Like a builder who can't pour a proper foundation, you start with faulty premises and you end up spewing dribble like this stream of statistical whataboutism.



      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      ...I don't believe that "white people are the proper defenders of "civilization"...
      So pray tell, what group do you think doesn't value "intact families?"
      From the npboards, home of "intelligent discussion:" ...Trump...seems to be appealing quite a bit to black voters. By some estimates as many as one out of four would vote for him. This may well be because he not only has a Strong Pimp Hand, he is also the most "******-Rich" man in New York City. In other words, someone they can both relate to and aspire to."

    7. Member vwtool's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      4,664
      Yesterday 06:54 PM #1381
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Please respect the privacy of my family...
      Why should you get that courtesy on this forum based on both your behavior, and that of your fellow trolling forum members?
      From the npboards, home of "intelligent discussion:" ...Trump...seems to be appealing quite a bit to black voters. By some estimates as many as one out of four would vote for him. This may well be because he not only has a Strong Pimp Hand, he is also the most "******-Rich" man in New York City. In other words, someone they can both relate to and aspire to."

    8. Yesterday 07:02 PM #1382
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Considering you think noting the skin color of those who perpetrated slavery and institutional racism in our country is a "dopey racial stereotype", you don't have any credibility or authority to make these kinds of demands.
      What skin color is that, Westsideseal? What demands have I made?

      Westsideseal, do you believe that people of the same skin color bear guilt or debt because of what other people of the same skin color have done? Are there any other races who might get an even shorter end of the stick, if we apply your backward notions of justice to them as well?

      If modern white people bear some kind of racial guilt because a tiny number of white people owned slaves, then do black people bear some kind of racial guilt for the tiny, but disproportionate, number of black people who commit murder? Where does that kind of racist thinking end, if not right here and now?

      Either its ok to think that way, or it isn't. (It isn't in my humble opinion.) You might want to make up your mind about that.

      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Pedantry noted.
      Orwellian distortion of the English language noted. Inheritances, particularly cultural inheritances, are a right, not a privilege. How would you like it if Trump, the entire GOP, academia, and corporate snake-oil-diversity salesmen started referring your rights, perhaps your right to vote, as a mere privilege?

      Maybe this would be pedantry, if only rights and privileges weren't mutually exclusive categories.
      A person who reads disagreement and reacts by seeking to exclude the expression of other views admits his own insufficiency. - Zukiphile

    9. Member vwtool's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2003
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      4,664
      Yesterday 07:15 PM #1383
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      ...If modern white people bear some kind of racial guilt because a tiny number of white people owned slaves...
      F**k guilt. "Awareness" would be a great start. You insist on pinning a systemic problem on individuals, which is ridiculous. You can't pinpoint an "inventor" of slavery in the American idiom. It happened gradually, almost by chance, but it certainly did (and does) reflect our values. (Your preternatural obsession with "property rights" certainly has its roots in chattel slavery.) And it certainly is a system that did benefit and continues to benefit white people at the expense of black. The 'freedom' you cite as the reason for the disparities that exist is a twisted joke. Do you really insist that those disparities are the result of, what, "poor life choices" made in such a statistically skewed fashion by one race? Did god really err so badly in creation? Did the founders?
      From the npboards, home of "intelligent discussion:" ...Trump...seems to be appealing quite a bit to black voters. By some estimates as many as one out of four would vote for him. This may well be because he not only has a Strong Pimp Hand, he is also the most "******-Rich" man in New York City. In other words, someone they can both relate to and aspire to."

    10. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      15,493
      Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      Yesterday 07:41 PM #1384
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      ...If modern white people bear some kind of racial guilt because a tiny number of white people owned slaves...
      F**k guilt. "Awareness" would be a great start. You insist on pinning a systemic problem on individuals, which is ridiculous. You can't pinpoint an "inventor" of slavery in the American idiom. It happened gradually, almost by chance, but it certainly did (and does) reflect our values. (Your preternatural obsession with "property rights" certainly has its roots in chattel slavery.) And it certainly is a system that did benefit and continues to benefit white people at the expense of black. The 'freedom' you cite as the reason for the disparities that exist is a twisted joke. Do you really insist that those disparities are the result of, what, "poor life choices" made in such a statistically skewed fashion by one race? Did god really err so badly in creation? Did the founders?
      In my view, it’s our obligation as a society to try to make sure all our citizens obtain 21st century job skills. If you try to get people to achieve something close to their potential, it benefits everyone. The spend needs to be on education. It’s not perfect but if you’re going to atone for centuries of public policy that created a permanent underclass, that’s the only sane place to fling money.

    11. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2nd, 2013
      Location
      Below the glide path to KAUS
      Posts
      13,455
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      Yesterday 08:01 PM #1385
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      In my view, it’s our obligation as a society to try to make sure all our citizens obtain 21st century job skills. If you try to get people to achieve something close to their potential, it benefits everyone. The spend needs to be on education. It’s not perfect but if you’re going to atone for centuries of public policy that created a permanent underclass, that’s the only sane place to fling money.
      Careful.
      That kinda talk will get you called a communist.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

    12. Yesterday 08:17 PM #1386
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      I'm not advocating for some absolute "equality of outcomes," but I am saying our outcomes clearly indicate systemic racism is a huge issue.
      Of course you're not seeking absolute equality of outcomes. Clearly the NBA doesn't bother you. Or does it? You didn't react or disagree. Does the inequality of outcomes with respect to Asian Americans' test scores bother you just enough to support institutional racial discrimination against them in admissions, i.e. "Affirmative action"?

      Does the racial composure of the NBA "indicate [that] systemic racism is a huge issue [in the NBA]? If not, why the special pleading?

      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      If you think our current system is some meritocratic paradise, tell me how do you explain the huge gap between white and black citizens in so many quality of life metrics?
      I'm not the Utopian in this conversation, tool. There is no paradise; every nation has its challenges. But if you think there's someplace better, where black Americans would be treated more fairly or have a better chance at building a good life, then name it. If you're stuck on completely unconstructive criticism of one of the fairest political and judicial systems on the planet, and tearing down monuments to the people who achieved that progress just because they don't meet your incoherent standards for perfection, then you shouldn't be surprised when people treat you like a vandal. (This may be unfair of me, since I don't really know the extent to which you support BLM radicals; please feel free to correct me if my presumption is wrong, if you support putting down riots and charging vandals who destroy public monuments.)

      To the extent that there is any cognizable explanation for that gap (many theories by bright people seem to have been undermined by their social experiments, such as when inadequate education funding was remedied in a locality by a Federal judge, who opened the money tap and didn't even make a dent in the black/white academic achievement gap after many years and many millions of dollars) I believe it is the consequence of many factors. As some factors are minimized, the remaining factors take on a relatively greater power of explanation; that's a significant problem for egalitarian theorists. Institutional discrimination hasn't been a plausible explanation for many decades (except to the extent of minor blowback in labor markets that have reacted to irrational affirmative action programs in education and to litigation expenses).

      One of those factors that partially explains the gap is socialism's desperate impact on vulnerable cultures. Under "solutions" to poverty that gutted marriage, fatherhood, and in-wedlock-births, which among black Americans were better than the statistics for whites in the early 1900s, until socialist programs had their "unintended" effects of producing generations of state-dependents (who just happen to have become one of the Democrats most reliable voting blocks).

      I've given you a brief, good faith answer to your very broad question, so maybe you'll return the favor and answer my NBA questions above.
      A person who reads disagreement and reacts by seeking to exclude the expression of other views admits his own insufficiency. - Zukiphile

    13. Yesterday 08:22 PM #1387
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      The spend needs to be on education. It’s not perfect but if you’re going to atone for centuries of public policy that created a permanent underclass, that’s the only sane place to fling money.
      Except that its already been tried.

      https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...051-story.html
      A person who reads disagreement and reacts by seeking to exclude the expression of other views admits his own insufficiency. - Zukiphile

    14. Senior Member 2.0T_Convert's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2009
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      21,825
      Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      Yesterday 08:26 PM #1388
      Quote Originally Posted by Slapoquidik View Post
      Except that its already been tried.

      https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...051-story.html
      Building the nicest schools on the planet matter little if students don't care, don't do homework, and don't make use of the tools provided.

      Goes back to something GeoffD mentions often, family.

      Broken households where the single mother is working 40-50 hours in a dead end job while her kid skips class to push drugs on the street.

    15. Banned by John until they unbanned me zukiphile's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 28th, 2000
      Posts
      8,861
      Yesterday 09:26 PM #1389
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Logic is your constant enemy. I don't believe that "white people are the proper defenders of "civilization", but it shows how accurate Slap is in identifying your racism that you associate "whiteness" with a cultural value.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      So pray tell, what group do you think doesn't value "intact families?"
      Your assumption that the answer is a racial group marks the inferiority of your argument.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT.
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool
      You called me a "moron" on the Vortex, which is clearly in violation of the terms of use. I reported you.

    Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.