VWVortex.com - B1 Passat (Dasher) Coupe: B2 Transaxle & Mk3 ADY Engine Combination.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: B1 Passat (Dasher) Coupe: B2 Transaxle & Mk3 ADY Engine Combination.

1. 06-11-2020 06:32 AM #1
      Hi Guys,

I've got a question for the brains trust. It's a longish one, so bear with me.

I have a 1977 B1 Passat coupe, with the original 1588cc engine and a 4-speed manual gearbox.

I've bought a B2 gearbox/transaxle to replace the existing box (and understand that I'll need to make some slight mods to the tunnel for it to fit).

I've also bought a Mk3 ADY engine, which in Australia is what we got instead of the ABA. It's essentially the same specs, but a U-flow engine.

My question is about mating the B2 box to the Mk3 engine. Because I don't have the B2 engine, at present I've only got the original flywheel and clutch from the B1 engine. (The Mk3 engine uses a different flywheel arrangement, incompatible with the north-south transaxle.

Does anyone know (before I pull everything apart) whether I can use the original B1 flywheel on the Mk3 engine? And if so, will this mate with the starter mounted in the B2 transaxle? I guess essentially the second part of my question is whether the B1 and B2 flywheels are interchangeable?

Anyone done something similar to this? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Greg.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      TT225, 76 Dasher, 2014 Golf
      06-11-2020 08:08 PM #2
      The flywheels are compatible between B1 and B2. Yes, you are correct that the A3 Mk3 flywheel is not.

I don't know the Mk3 engines super well, but I'm 99% sure that the crank is the same bolt pattern for the flywheel to attach. I'm not sure any of them, any year are different. MAYBE the Mk4 is different?

Just be sure the crank from the Mk3 is drilled for the Pilot bearing. I've heard some were not, because they are not used in an Automatic or a Transverse engine.

4. 06-12-2020 12:55 AM #3
      Thanks for the reply B1 16V!

That almost sounds like perfect news... except I'm not sure what the pilot bearing is, or the drilling you speak of?

The ADY that I'm using was from a manual if that helps.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-14-2020 05:39 AM #4
      Right. So I've got a handle on what the pilot bearing is, does, and the difference between the B2 transaxle spline and that on the MK3 gearbox. Tonight I pulled the gearbox and clutch/flywheel off the ADY, and can see a recess that is 20.5mm diameter, with an approximate depth of 30mm. Is this the recess for a pilot bearing? Cheers. Greg

7. Member
      Vehicles
      TT225, 76 Dasher, 2014 Golf
      06-22-2020 02:25 PM #5
      I know I answered you elsewhere, but just for future searches, yes, the pilot bearing goes into that hole in the end of the crank. Used only on Manual shift Longitudinal cars.