VWVortex.com - Turbo Problems - Is my mechanic screwing me?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Turbo Problems - Is my mechanic screwing me?

1. 06-24-2020 08:46 AM #1
      I've recently been having problems with my turbo. I'll start my car (S DSG 4-dr non-PP, no mods) and it runs fine for about 30 seconds. Then the throttle response drops and the EPC warning light turns on.

I took it to my mechanic and after a day or two, he said that there are three sensors that aren't working, which is causing the turbo to not provide any boost. $1,000 later, I got the car and things worked fine. However, a few weeks later (I've driven the car about 200 miles), the same thing happens. Turn the car on, 30 seconds later the EPC light turns on and throttle response drops significantly.

I took it back to him and now he says that the new sensors are fine but the turbo is only outputting about 60% of its normal boost. He supposedly called the dealer and said there's not much he can do besides replacing the turbo ($1500 in parts + "a ton of labor").

For reference, I can barely get the engine to rev above 2,000 and the car is very slow, I doubt I can drive on the highway without a really long on-ramp and no traffic.

Does this sound right? If I do need to replace my turbo, how much should I expect it to cost?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-24-2020 09:52 AM #2
      I'm rather new to the mk7s, I come from the Audi world but I think it's pretty rare for turbos to be the issue. If the turbo is at 60% my first thought would be to check the wastegate sensor and the wastegate. If it is a wastegate issue and not the sensor then the dealer would most likely suggest a turbo replacement because they don't sell the wastegate actuator separately it comes from the turbo. Did the mechanic give you the codes from the epc light? That will help us narrow down your issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      06-24-2020 10:07 AM #3
      What year is your car? And yes, what codes were pulled? Knowing the code numbers will be really helpful.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-24-2020 10:16 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rx7efini View Post
      I'm rather new to the mk7s, I come from the Audi world but I think it's pretty rare for turbos to be the issue. If the turbo is at 60% my first thought would be to check the wastegate sensor and the wastegate. If it is a wastegate issue and not the sensor then the dealer would most likely suggest a turbo replacement because they don't sell the wastegate actuator separately it comes from the turbo. Did the mechanic give you the codes from the epc light? That will help us narrow down your issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      I saw a few comments about the wastegate - I believe you can buy an aftermarket wastegate for about $500 and I'm assuming the installation would be cheaper than replacing the whole thing, but I'm not sure.

I didn't get the codes from the EPC light, they may be on my previous invoice but that's located in the car, which is at my mechanic.

7. 06-24-2020 10:17 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      What year is your car? And yes, what codes were pulled? Knowing the code numbers will be really helpful.
      I don't know the codes offhand, my invoice from the previous work on the car is in my glove box, and my car is at the mechanic.

It's a 2015, about 70k miles

Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      06-24-2020 11:58 AM #6
      2015s are known to have turbo issues. But I'm not entirely sure how they manifest. Getting the codes is where I would start.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTi, 2014 S4
      06-25-2020 07:25 PM #7
      Sounds like your car is sensing a major issue and going into "limp" mode. It won't let you rev hard or go fast to keep you from destroying your engine.
      The codes would definitely help. Even if you can get them from Autozone or something.

I would say your mechanic just threw some parts at the problem without knowing the real issue... except for that it DID work for a few weeks.
      Strange.

10. 06-26-2020 10:52 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      2015s are known to have turbo issues. But I'm not entirely sure how they manifest. Getting the codes is where I would start.
      Here's the error code: P00AF

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0...20code%20P00AF.

My car will start fine and then within 30 seconds, the EPC warning comes on and the engine doesn't let me rev above 2200 or so. My mechanic says that the turbo boost will output anywhere from 60% - 80% of what it should be doing. He says the only way for him to fix it is to replace the unit. I haven't taken it to a VW Dealer, though.

11. 06-26-2020 10:53 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vwlippy View Post
      Sounds like your car is sensing a major issue and going into "limp" mode. It won't let you rev hard or go fast to keep you from destroying your engine.
      The codes would definitely help. Even if you can get them from Autozone or something.

I would say your mechanic just threw some parts at the problem without knowing the real issue... except for that it DID work for a few weeks.
      Strange.
      Here's the error code: P00AF

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0...20code%20P00AF.

My car will start fine and then within 30 seconds, the EPC warning comes on and the engine doesn't let me rev above 2200 or so. My mechanic says that the turbo boost will output anywhere from 60% - 80% of what it should be doing. He says the only way for him to fix it is to replace the unit. I haven't taken it to a VW Dealer, though.

12. 06-27-2020 11:26 AM #10
      I had the same thing happen to me with the EPC light. I had to replace my turbo and decided to instead upgrade it to a is38, and I love the change, its a brand new car! To do this you need several supporting mods so its not cheap, but very fun

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      06-29-2020 01:50 PM #11
      I get the same error code with my 2017. The code first showed up around 50k miles. Currently at 73k. It usually happens first thing in the morning or during a cold start. Many times I just shut off the car and let it sit for a few min and it will go away. The wastegate actuator is most likely the culprit and you don’t need to replace the turbo.
      This is probably the wastegate actuator you need.

https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/vag...-r-s3-fitment/

14. 06-29-2020 02:13 PM #12
      I had the same issue on a 2015 w/ under 50k miles. My research of the code online showed waste gate issue. Dealer didn’t believe me. Checked the car, and found it to be the issue. They replaced the entire turbo unit under warranty.

15. 06-30-2020 01:39 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post
      I get the same error code with my 2017. The code first showed up around 50k miles. Currently at 73k. It usually happens first thing in the morning or during a cold start. Many times I just shut off the car and let it sit for a few min and it will go away. The wastegate actuator is most likely the culprit and you don’t need to replace the turbo.
      This is probably the wastegate actuator you need.

https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/vag...-r-s3-fitment/
      Thank you for your comment - I just got my car back from my local mechanic (taking it to VW next week). I drove my car home after it hadn't been driven in a few days and after 30 seconds, the EPC light came on and it entered limp mode. However, once I got home, I turned off my car and restarted 2-3 mins later. Everything worked perfectly fine.

How were you able to tell that the wastegate actuator was the culprit? I know VW doesn't sell that part individually.

16. 06-30-2020 01:41 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by stealthboost View Post
      I had the same issue on a 2015 w/ under 50k miles. My research of the code online showed waste gate issue. Dealer didn’t believe me. Checked the car, and found it to be the issue. They replaced the entire turbo unit under warranty.
      Thank you for your comment - I just got my car back from my local mechanic (taking it to VW next week). I drove my car home after it hadn't been driven in a few days. After 30 seconds, the EPC light came on and it entered limp mode. However, once I got home, I turned off my car and restarted 2-3 mins later. Everything worked perfectly fine.

How were you able to tell that the wastegate actuator was the culprit? I know VW doesn't sell that part individually.

My car has about 65,000 miles on it and I bought it in December 2014 - I'm pretty sure that it is no longer under warranty. Did they replace the whole turbo for free because of your stock warranty, or because they weren't able to actually fix the problem and had to replace the whole unit?
      Last edited by mrlazyboy; 06-30-2020 at 01:57 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      06-30-2020 02:06 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by mrlazyboy View Post
      Thank you for your comment - I just got my car back from my local mechanic (taking it to VW next week). I drove my car home after it hadn't been driven in a few days and after 30 seconds, the EPC light came on and it entered limp mode. However, once I got home, I turned off my car and restarted 2-3 mins later. Everything worked perfectly fine.

The error code you get when you plug in vagcom should say something about turbo boost control position sensor implausible signal. If you can I would try to get a hold of vag com and see what trouble code you get before going into the dealer. Do your homework prior so they won’t give you the runaround.

18. 06-30-2020 02:16 PM #16
      Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have a vagcom and I won't be able to get one before I take it to the dealer

19. 06-30-2020 04:18 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by mrlazyboy View Post
      Thank you for your comment - I just got my car back from my local mechanic (taking it to VW next week). I drove my car home after it hadn't been driven in a few days. After 30 seconds, the EPC light came on and it entered limp mode. However, once I got home, I turned off my car and restarted 2-3 mins later. Everything worked perfectly fine.

My car has about 65,000 miles on it and I bought it in December 2014 - I'm pretty sure that it is no longer under warranty. Did they replace the whole turbo for free because of your stock warranty, or because they weren't able to actually fix the problem and had to replace the whole unit?
      They ran some shop tests and replicated the issue. They replaced it under power train warranty.

Good luck