VWVortex.com - Sold the Matrix XRS - now what?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Results 151 to 175 of 270

    Thread: Sold the Matrix XRS - now what?

    1. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-28-2020 05:42 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      As for the collision the vin tags for the front fenders can be seen with the front doors open and the hood should have one underneath. Could give you an idea of severity based on what was or wasn't replaced. Not sure why someone would lie about how long they've owned a car given how easy it is to find out. Could updated ownership be something like a spouse added to the title after marriage? Not sure how that works. Maybe this just isn't the one.
      I mean collision isn't a big deal as long as it wasn't totalled out or anything like that. He claims it was in his fathers name for the first couple years so he could get lower insurance rates. it looks like it was fixed correctly if anything... I'm still not sure this car is the right car. Wish it had stock suspension, wheels and exhaust.

      The Corolla XRS owner said he's on a trip til Tuesday and then he'd touch base and get me more pics and possibly get a PPI done on it.... The corolla XRS seems to be a winner but its kind of an INSANE drive to take with a car I've not seen in person before...
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member pontiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      2,817
      Vehicles
      Civic/Civic Si/Civic Allroad
      06-28-2020 07:03 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post

      The corolla XRS seems to be a winner but its kind of an INSANE drive to take with a car I've not seen in person before...
      It's a Toyota, you'll be fine. If not..all the better for entertaining strangers on the internet. What color is the XRS? My wife had an 04 LE in indigo ink pearl and I've always wanted an XRS in that color.

    4. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-28-2020 07:19 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      It's a Toyota, you'll be fine. If not..all the better for entertaining strangers on the internet. What color is the XRS? My wife had an 04 LE in indigo ink pearl and I've always wanted an XRS in that color.
      It's black. I just ran the carfax on it and what I thought was a car that lvied in california its whole life, actually lived the first 11 years of its life in montana? also carfax says it had an airbag deployment in 2009 after hitting a parked car, shows it was damaged on the rear. Nothing since then though.









      has a AEM cold air intake and a magnaflow muffler. everything else is stock.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    5. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 11:07 AM #154
      So if that corolla XRS and the civic Si don't fall through.... I think I've pretty much decided I want an 8th gen civic Si. Just need to find a better example.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    6. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 11:53 AM #155
      So far this is the best one I've found. It's in virginia so I'd have to travel to get it, but its got 100k miles and is all stock. It's a blue sedan which is what I used to own, though mine was a 2011.
      https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    7. Member pontiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Nova Scotia
      Posts
      2,817
      Vehicles
      Civic/Civic Si/Civic Allroad
      06-29-2020 11:59 AM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      So far this is the best one I've found. It's in virginia so I'd have to travel to get it, but its got 100k miles and is all stock. It's a blue sedan which is what I used to own, though mine was a 2011.
      https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest
      That's a nice one Michelins on it too which is always a good sign.

    8. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 12:05 PM #157
      There's this one locally but they're asking an insane price....

      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    9. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 12:09 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      That's a nice one Michelins on it too which is always a good sign.
      apparently it sold already
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    10. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,735
      Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-29-2020 12:49 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      It's black. I just ran the carfax on it and what I thought was a car that lvied in california its whole life, actually lived the first 11 years of its life in montana? also carfax says it had an airbag deployment in 2009 after hitting a parked car, shows it was damaged on the rear. Nothing since then though.

      has a AEM cold air intake and a magnaflow muffler. everything else is stock.
      If this was a local car, I would look at it and maybe give a low offer. But for a "travel across the country and buy sight unseen" car.... HARD PASS. Way too many red flags.

    11. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,735
      Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-29-2020 12:50 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      There's this one locally but they're asking an insane price....

      It's at a dealer, go drive it and then tell them you will think about it. Wait a couple days and then shoot over a lowball offer.

    12. Member burgerbob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2020
      Posts
      161
      Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      06-29-2020 12:54 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      It's at a dealer, go drive it and then tell them you will think about it. Wait a couple days and then shoot over a lowball offer.
      Yessir. It's been listed for quite a long time, and they're sure to be desperate for a deal in these times.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

      ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

    13. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,735
      Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-29-2020 01:06 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      Yessir. It's been listed for quite a long time, and they're sure to be desperate for a deal in these times.
      Oooh, that's even better for the OP. They will definitely want to move some inventory especially if it's been sitting for a while.

      And OP - always justify your potential offer with some comps that you can get for the offered price. You don't need to share the exact listings as the sales rep will pick them apart to try discrediting them, but you need to have a good baseline. "I like this car, I have found some other comparable Civic Si's that I can get for $XYZ so I would be willing to pay $XYZ for this car today." But don't do that until after you drive it, then leave without making an offer. Most importantly: leave and think about it.

    14. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 02:39 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      It's at a dealer, go drive it and then tell them you will think about it. Wait a couple days and then shoot over a lowball offer.
      I messaged them about the price and they said they are pretty firm... They think the price is reasonable for the mileage and condition. I said I would be interested at about 9k and they just said no.... Some dealers/sellers are just unreasonable. There are MUCH better vehicles to be had for $12k. like the fiesta ST i saw with 50k miles, 9th gen civic Si's can be had for that price with lower miles... its just a stupid price.
      Last edited by elite.mafia; 06-29-2020 at 02:42 PM.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    15. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 02:48 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      If this was a local car, I would look at it and maybe give a low offer. But for a "travel across the country and buy sight unseen" car.... HARD PASS. Way too many red flags.
      yeah im glad I pulled the carfax. The carfax doesn't even come close to what the seller told me... super lame.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    16. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 08:40 PM #165
      holy crap, a nismo juke
      https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/spt_us...ting=261811587

      completely forgot these existed lol. what a goofy looking car. has a 6 speed too

      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    17. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,735
      Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-29-2020 09:50 PM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      holy crap, a nismo juke
      https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/spt_us...ting=261811587

      completely forgot these existed lol. what a goofy looking car. has a 6 speed too

      So my sister-in-law has one of these goofy little things and loves it to death. She has rallied the crap out of it for like 4 or 5 years with no issues, and has no plans to replace it.

      For what you're getting, that seems like a good price. Go drive it and see what you think.

    18. Member Elite_Deforce's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2012
      Location
      Ottawa-Gatineau
      Posts
      8,904
      Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      06-29-2020 10:21 PM #167
      That white Si would be a hard pass for me every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you are set on an 8th gen Si, I implore you to make sure third gear works properly and there is no peeling clear coat anywhere.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

    19. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-29-2020 11:23 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      That white Si would be a hard pass for me every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you are set on an 8th gen Si, I implore you to make sure third gear works properly and there is no peeling clear coat anywhere.
      I didn't see any issues with the gearbox or clear coat. main things were the wiring/immobilizer, exhaust, and suspension. I'm just gonna keep looking.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    20. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      9,283
      Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      06-30-2020 08:55 AM #169
      I like the Nissan Juke idea. I'm pretty sure pre-refresh Focus STs are 10K or less but Sync is dogisht. I endorse the Fiesta ST idea.


      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      That white Si would be a hard pass for me every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you are set on an 8th gen Si, I implore you to make sure third gear works properly and there is no peeling clear coat anywhere.
      Even the V6 Honda manuals (7th gen Accord, TL) had 3rd gear pop outs, which for some reason didn't show on the test drive. Annoying as hell and the main reason I sold the car.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    21. Member nyexx's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2014
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      1,672
      Vehicles
      ‘18 Accord, ‘94 Miata
      06-30-2020 09:23 AM #170
      Switching the transmission fluid mitigates this issue for a lot of people...

    22. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-30-2020 11:14 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      Switching the transmission fluid mitigates this issue for a lot of people...
      I read there is a few things you can do. Shifter bushings can wear out causing the gear shifter to be sitting in the wrong place. Clutch master cylinders can apparently cause that issue somehow, though honestly I don't see how unless you're shifting extremely fast and the CMC is sticking slightly. That said, apparently 09, 10, and 11 model years don't have the issue.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2005
      Location
      GA
      Posts
      534
      Vehicles
      '10 DBP Si
      06-30-2020 11:47 AM #172
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      I read there is a few things you can do. Shifter bushings can wear out causing the gear shifter to be sitting in the wrong place. Clutch master cylinders can apparently cause that issue somehow, though honestly I don't see how unless you're shifting extremely fast and the CMC is sticking slightly. That said, apparently 09, 10, and 11 model years don't have the issue.
      09-11s can have shift grinding issues, but i think its commonly misdiagnosed as worn out synchros. the early 8th gens were more susceptible to a weak clutch master cylinder design that would fail early (although it CAN happen to the 09-11s). when i bought my '10 and it ground 3rd once on the drive home from purchasing it during a high rpm gear change...i was a bit worried obviously.

      when i got home, i threw in a new change of OEM gearbox fluid which helped, but what really fixed it for good was adjusting the clutch pedal throw. this video does a great job explaining it. essentially a lot of 8th gens came from the factory with the pedal adjusted without enough throw on the master cylinder, which doesn't allow the clutch to fully disengage during a shift. the added drag doesn't allow the synchro cones to slow the next gear down enough during a high-rpm change, and you end up with a grind.

      took me about 30 minutes contorting under the dash with a vise grip and an open ended wrench to get the pedal adjusted. that was 18,000 miles and many, many redline shifts ago, no issues since and i'm now running Amsoil Manual Synchromesh fluid as well which feels even better to me than the OEM stuff.

      i've heard of some high mileage factory clutches coming apart (apparently the damper springs fall out), but aside from the the CMC/adjustment issue i think if the previous owner didn't thrash it they're fairly reliable trannys.

      if you find one, the 09+'s have some nice minor updates over the 06-08's, like a larger/stronger final drive bearing, updated rear control arms (with less camber), slightly shorter-throw factory shifter, USB connection to the head unit, and the obvious cosmetic and color changes.
      @go_scott_go

    24. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,662
      Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-30-2020 03:38 PM #173
      Quote Originally Posted by Scottyb 1.8T View Post
      09-11s can have shift grinding issues, but i think its commonly misdiagnosed as worn out synchros. the early 8th gens were more susceptible to a weak clutch master cylinder design that would fail early (although it CAN happen to the 09-11s). when i bought my '10 and it ground 3rd once on the drive home from purchasing it during a high rpm gear change...i was a bit worried obviously.

      when i got home, i threw in a new change of OEM gearbox fluid which helped, but what really fixed it for good was adjusting the clutch pedal throw. this video does a great job explaining it. essentially a lot of 8th gens came from the factory with the pedal adjusted without enough throw on the master cylinder, which doesn't allow the clutch to fully disengage during a shift. the added drag doesn't allow the synchro cones to slow the next gear down enough during a high-rpm change, and you end up with a grind.

      took me about 30 minutes contorting under the dash with a vise grip and an open ended wrench to get the pedal adjusted. that was 18,000 miles and many, many redline shifts ago, no issues since and i'm now running Amsoil Manual Synchromesh fluid as well which feels even better to me than the OEM stuff.

      i've heard of some high mileage factory clutches coming apart (apparently the damper springs fall out), but aside from the the CMC/adjustment issue i think if the previous owner didn't thrash it they're fairly reliable trannys.

      if you find one, the 09+'s have some nice minor updates over the 06-08's, like a larger/stronger final drive bearing, updated rear control arms (with less camber), slightly shorter-throw factory shifter, USB connection to the head unit, and the obvious cosmetic and color changes.
      thanks for the info.
      I'm struggling to find one locally. Everyone I see I call and its pending sale or it's private party and the car has lot of issues and/or stupid tasteless mods like ****ing RACELAND coilovers and straight pipes and **** like that.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2005
      Location
      GA
      Posts
      534
      Vehicles
      '10 DBP Si
      06-30-2020 08:22 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      thanks for the info.
      I'm struggling to find one locally. Everyone I see I call and its pending sale or it's private party and the car has lot of issues and/or stupid tasteless mods like ****ing RACELAND coilovers and straight pipes and **** like that.
      no problem, and welcome to 8th gen civic used car shopping hell...been there done that. they're either mint and asking stupid money or on their 5th owner who checked every box on the Ebay Starter Pack™ mod list.

      took me close to a month to find a decent one. you've either gotta be real patient or super on-the-ball with checking listings. keep an eye on the smaller mom-n-pop lots too, lots of these have been traded in on 10th gens and they're getting scooped up at auctions.
      @go_scott_go

    26. 06-30-2020 08:32 PM #175
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      holy crap, a nismo juke
      You said you loved that the XRS was so space efficient; just be warned the juke is the antithesis of that and is way smaller inside than you'd think, even the rear hatch opening is tiny for a hatchback.


    Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.