VWVortex.com - Sold the Matrix XRS - now what?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sold the Matrix XRS - now what?

1. Member
      06-25-2020 11:22 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      There are a lot of mazda speed 3's in this price range. I am not too familiar with how reliable these cars are. I know they have a turbo 4 and fwd. I also have seen what those era mazdas do in terms of rust.... I plan on purchasing something from an area that doesn't have rust issues and then transplanting it here but that doesn't exactly rule out it rusting as soon as it gets here
      First gens have a lot of issues and can blow up even in stock form. The factory fuel supply isn't always enough for low RPM high throttle application. It was resolved with the second gen car. First gens also have turbo issues, intake manifold issues, rust issues.

A good rule of thumb is to avoid a modified one like the plague. Some may be modified in the right way, most have been modded wrong and driven hard.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-25-2020 11:30 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Current. I suppose the first gen may be better.
      Or 2nd gen, just avoid 2015+ 3rd gen IMO. They also started making them in Mexico at that time, and the shift from established Japanese to new plant launch Mexican levels of quality was major.

4. Member
      06-25-2020 11:30 AM #78
      Does anyone know much about the Elantra GT? Theres a bunch of them with sticks, low miles right under 10k.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

these apparently have 173 hp 2.0l 4 cylinder.
      I believe these suffer from the same engine failures that a lot of Hyundai/Kias from that area suffered from. They have an extended warranty but unless you have DETAILED maintenance and oil change records you're likely SOL. They aren't amazingly fun cars to drive but aren't horrible. Good tech for the money. They are rare but can be found with a manual and a panoramic sunroof.

5. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-25-2020 03:02 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      The stick on the Fit is also awful. The clutch feels like stepping on wet tissue paper and has no feel on the pickup. Shifter is super vague- not Honda like at all. The thing revs 4,000rpm at normal freeway cruising with a stick too.

I wanted to like the Fit, but I walked away from a test drive very unimpressed.
      the other thing was the clutch was very odd. I guess thats the result of the springrate on the clutch springs or something, but whenever you shift the clutch seems like it doesn't fully engage for a good moment after you let the clutch pedal out.... It feels like they tried to make the car drive as smooth as possible and as a result it feels REALLY Sloppy.
      Mine is an auto Fit Sport, so I have flappy paddles connected to a standard 5-speed torque converter auto. I'd rather have the stick, but it doesn't exactly sound like it would transform the car.

I always assumed it would make a huge difference. I guess not.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      06-25-2020 03:06 PM #80
      I don't want to but I'll have to pile on the Fit as well... I've had a first-gen '07 5MT "Sport" and currently have a '17 Base 6MT. The Fit is an intelligent choice for an economical car that holds resale. The rear seats / cargo area are probably as close as you'll get to the Matrix in such a small package. The Fit is even a little bit fun compared to other base trim cars, but that's about it... The engine in the latest gen ('15+) has more power than the last, and a good powerband through to the rev limiter. Unfortunately it sounds like a sewing machine 90% of the time and only OK when beating it at full throttle. Again, it's a good cheap car for lots of reasons, but being fun is at the bottom of the list.

Now, someone mentioned the Sonic on the first page. I had a Cruze Eco with the 1.4t and I really liked that car, even with the long gearing. The Sonic 1.4t came in an RS trim which supposedly had a few legitimate upgrades like shorter gearing, better wheels suspension and brakes... The 1.4t has a couple of known issues in the early years but they're well documented, and they can easily get to 200 hp (and over 200 lb/ft.) with a tune and a few bolt-on's.
      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 06-25-2020 at 03:29 PM.

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-25-2020 03:10 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
      Or 2nd gen, just avoid 2015+ 3rd gen IMO. They also started making them in Mexico at that time, and the shift from established Japanese to new plant launch Mexican levels of quality was major.
      Mine is old enough to be Japanese and the build quality was not up to previous Honda standards, nor was it as well screwed-together as my old 2003 Honda Accord that was built here. With the Fit I had a water intrusion problem and I found out mine was far from unique. I had a couple of mechanical issues too, but nothing major and I don't associate those with build quality, but the seam sealer issue I do. Also, the paint is thin, the carpet is felt that does not conform to the floor, nor is it properly glued down, and it has NVH issues. It isn't Honda-like in those regards. The car should remind me of Civics from the '80s and '90s, but for the most part it does not. The seat is brilliant, it's very maneuverable, and it has been quite reliable.

Oh, and the seats are terrible for even medium trips.

It's a fantastic city car, but that and the rear seat are its major strong suits. Of course if I were buying a car exclusively for use in the city I'd go electric. Because use case.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      06-25-2020 03:17 PM #82
      Not that anyone mentioned it, but the Toyota iM looks great on paper yet was a big let-down in person... I cross-shopped it against the Fit and came away disappointed for multiple reasons.

So yeah, if you ever thought the iM may be a more modern version of your Matrix (I hoped it would be), don't bother.
      Last edited by Jettaboy1884; 06-25-2020 at 03:22 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 DBP Si
      06-25-2020 05:04 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      8th gen Si sedan. Similar revvy character as the XRS
      came here to post this, love mine. that said, they are prone to the same rust issues all the Japanese econoboxes from that era are, and even at 8K it'll be hard to find a decent sedan that doesn't have some hard miles on it unless you're willing to travel to get it. much easier to find a clean coupe at that price but i see you said you're not a coupe man.
      @go_scott_go

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      06-25-2020 10:05 PM #84
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-26-2020 11:33 AM #85
      I am seriously considering purchasing a 05 corolla XRS from CA. Car looks to be in extremely good condition... 0 rust, body is perfect, which are 2 of the main issues with my Matrix that made me want to get rid of it. Also has a year old clutch, magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake, few random other bits like TRD grille...
      It's in CA though, so it'd be a long drive back to MA. I'm tempted though as it sounds like it's immaculate.
      '03 Matrix XRS 6mt 2zz-ge

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-26-2020 11:59 AM #86
      I am seriously considering purchasing a 05 corolla XRS from CA. Car looks to be in extremely good condition... 0 rust, body is perfect, which are 2 of the main issues with my Matrix that made me want to get rid of it. Also has a year old clutch, magnaflow exhaust, cold air intake, few random other bits like TRD grille...
      It's in CA though, so it'd be a long drive back to MA. I'm tempted though as it sounds like it's immaculate.
      If it's the perfect car (and it sounds like it's a winner), negotiate a deposit with a signed purchase agreement and fly out there. If you can afford the time and cost for a 4-5 day trip back it will be a great experience.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-26-2020 12:01 PM #87
      Oh and I'm sure you're also looking, especially since you don't want a 2nd Gen Matrix, but there may be a chance to find a super low mile, mint condition late 1st Gen Matrix XRS. I'm sure they're out there.

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-26-2020 12:08 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Oh and I'm sure you're also looking, especially since you don't want a 2nd Gen Matrix, but there may be a chance to find a super low mile, mint condition late 1st Gen Matrix XRS. I'm sure they're out there.
      I'm aware, been looking. Seen a number of vibe GT's and matrix XRS but the weird thing is.... like maybe 1 out of every 20 i click on is actually an XRS. There are COUNTLESS examples of mislabelled XRS. And then, after that, there are lots of examples of XRS with the wrong instrument cluster, which is very strange to me. They have the base model instrument clusters with the 7k rpm redline, yet claim to be an XRS and showed me pics of a 2zz under the hood. I'd understand a few but I';ve seen like 5 different examples of this so far......

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      06-26-2020 12:13 PM #89
      I'm aware, been looking. Seen a number of vibe GT's and matrix XRS but the weird thing is.... like maybe 1 out of every 20 i click on is actually an XRS. There are COUNTLESS examples of mislabelled XRS. And then, after that, there are lots of examples of XRS with the wrong instrument cluster, which is very strange to me. They have the base model instrument clusters with the 7k rpm redline, yet claim to be an XRS and showed me pics of a 2zz under the hood. I'd understand a few but I';ve seen like 5 different examples of this so far......
      That's...... Strange. I wonder if Toyota did something goofy for a certain model year with parts availability?

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-26-2020 12:17 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      That's...... Strange. I wonder if Toyota did something goofy for a certain model year with parts availability?
      IDK none of the people I asked said they knew it was ever swapped. I don't understand how they'd not know? I mean the motors rev to 8k, like do they just not ever drive the car to redline or do they just think its not supposed to go past 7k lol
      as far as i know it would have to have been swapped, doubt any came like that from toyota.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      20GLGT5MT, Buell
      06-26-2020 12:18 PM #91
      Count me in the Focus SE hatch w/manual camp. Wife's commuter car is a 2013 automatic Focus with 75K on it. PowerShift clutches replaced just under the 5 year powertrain warranty, hoping for another couple of years before any issues crop up again.

Other than that:

--Two air filter changes
      --One cabin filter change
      --Oil changes every 8 months
      --Just got new tires and front brakes (rear drums were fine)

Not bad for a nearly 8 year-old 75K commuter car. Still rattle-free and has far less surface rust underneath than my three year-old Subaru. Can feel the world/EU market DNA when driving it in terms of decent brake and steering feel, along with dialed-in suspension.

06-26-2020 12:30 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Not bombproof, but not unreliable either.
      A sample size of one can say almost anything.
      Cousin Eddie had one for years as a daily.. his wife now drives it.
      Paging Cousin Eddie.
      Umm.... please tell us more about your Dad's Porsches.
      Actually yes, it was really unreliable too

Generally, Ford sucks for reliability. I've had more than a dozen myself. Focus / Fiesta are among the worst.
      Proud long-term employee at TheRetrofitSource family of companies

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq
      2015 Triumph Street Triple - Full build | 4 miles

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      06-26-2020 12:49 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by pontiac View Post
      8th gen Si sedan. Similar revvy character as the XRS
      Some of those had massive transmission issues.

There are a lot of mazda speed 3's in this price range. I am not too familiar with how reliable these cars are. I know they have a turbo 4 and fwd. I also have seen what those era mazdas do in terms of rust.... I plan on purchasing something from an area that doesn't have rust issues and then transplanting it here but that doesn't exactly rule out it rusting as soon as it gets here
      The Mazdaspeed3s you would want to buy (second gen) are not in your price range. However, clean first-gen 2.3L (bigger engine ~165hp) and most second-gen 2.5Ls can be had in your price range all day long and can run forever. Just don't get anything older than 2007, and you will avoid rust issues. Second gens did not have any abnormal rust issues at all. Common issues are engine/transmission mounts and A/C compressors, but otherwise very solid vehicles. We have owned two first-gens and now a third-gen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2018 F150
      06-26-2020 01:03 PM #94
      That's a LONG drive.
      But if that's the car you want, go for it.
      Could make for a fun adventure.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-26-2020 01:07 PM #95
      That's a LONG drive.
      But if that's the car you want, go for it.
      Could make for a fun adventure.
      eh, only a little over 26 hours long
      (thats the current cannonball record, which is nyc to LA. about the same distance)

Vehicles
      06-26-2020 01:44 PM #96
      Last Fall I did a work trip from NJ to Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and then back to NJ over the course of 5 days in a mid-size rental car. I could have flown but chose to drive. It was an awesome experience and I'd do something like that again any day over flying.

Vehicles
      2009 Odyssey | 13 and 07 Fit | 2009 Miata | 07 Mazda3 | 03 Mazda Protege5(x2) | 02 Mazda Protege
      06-26-2020 02:01 PM #97
      1) I would consider an XRS as a upgrade from my 03 Protege5. As long as I could get it it manual and a real color. So, if you find another one...

2) I have to defend the FIT, at least the shifter. My wife wrecked an '09 and she got a '13 I also just picked up an 07. Shifter has always felt very good on all of them. Almost as good as my NC. Certainly better than any VW's I have had.
      The clutch is very light and is vague on the pick up. My son had a heck of a time trying to learn manual on it, we switched to my P5 and he picked it up right away. But the Fit is not sporty, it feels a lot slower than my P5. Great little commuter car, just not sporty.

3) I would think a Mazda 3 hatch would be pretty good. I have an 07 sedan (2.3) and it is quicker, but feels more portly than my P5. I would think the newer 2.5 (no need to go speed) would be a marked improvement over the XRS.
      Nothing to see here move along.

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      06-26-2020 02:31 PM #98
      Not bombproof, but not unreliable either.
      A sample size of one can say almost anything.
      Cousin Eddie had one for years as a daily.. his wife now drives it.
      Paging Cousin Eddie.
      Umm.... please tell us more about your Dad's Porsches.
      My dad's Porsches just got dyno tuned. The 3.8L is now built, running, and ready to hit the track. The 930 has a much better tune on the standalone now, so should be interesting to see how it goes.

As for the Focus, I did have a 2013 5spd manual SE for a while. My sister has it now (I know in Tennessee that is tough for BReal because often sister=wife). It was decent, I didn't mind it as a daily driver. The rear quarter paint peeled near the wheel arch on the driver's side. It was repainted after some damage was done to the car on an insurance claim recently.

No real issues to speak of, i've put a set of brakes on it for her and swaybar end links. That is about it for maintenance up to this point. Been reliable daily transportation without a lot of upkeep. Easy on fuel. For a cheap car it was decent. The road noise and interior are both on the positive side. The cloth heated seats are the fastest to warm up that i've ever sat in.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      2003 Toyota Matrix XRS
      06-26-2020 03:10 PM #99
      There are like countless ford focus's with 5 speeds and very low miles under 10k, locally, 5 years old and newer. May look into checking one out if I can find the right one. I don't really trust Ford's for reliability but I mean most cars with 50k on the clock and only a few years old should be fine no matter the make, right?

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      06-26-2020 03:16 PM #100
      There are like countless ford focus's with 5 speeds and very low miles under 10k, locally, 5 years old and newer. May look into checking one out if I can find the right one. I don't really trust Ford's for reliability but I mean most cars with 50k on the clock and only a few years old should be fine no matter the make, right?
      I would say if you are looking at Focus, the Mazda3 is a better car and runs on old Focus platform anyway. But that's not any of my business.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast