VWVortex.com - ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      06-25-2020 09:35 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Modern Japanese cars suck. As do most older ones.
      Came into to say "I couldn't imagine buying a new Japanese car in 2020"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2011 SAAB 9-5, 2013 Ford Fusion
      06-25-2020 09:36 AM #27
      I think that the first generation Subaru Tribeca's controversial grille actually looked cool:

Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

Vehicles
      '06 Evo Mr, '18 Accord Sport
      06-25-2020 09:40 AM #28
      manuals are slow
      2.0T+034efi+meth = 300+whp = RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like

Vehicles
      1996 Porsche 911, 1988 Porsche 944, 2012 VW GTI
      06-25-2020 09:40 AM #29
      I hate all new cars.

Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      06-25-2020 09:51 AM #30
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...t-is-that-good

Real answer, Toyota isn't that great.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

7. 06-25-2020 09:52 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by KingUnderpants View Post
      I hate all new cars.
      Came in to post all new cars are junk.

And also not a fan of dual clutch transmissions.
      Boiler Up!

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-25-2020 09:52 AM #32
      Watching motorsports on TV is almost as boring as watching baseball on TV. Part 2 to this is that someone needs to bring back an unlimited class for some type of sports car racing---other than some safety equipment, there should be no other rules other than it needs to have 4 wheels at each corner, a seat, and steering wheel. That is potentially something I'd tune into watch.

Both hypercars and vintage cars do very little for me. I like looking at them and occasionally learning about them, but my desire to own examples of either is virtually 0.

Perhaps the most controversial, at least around here, is that I like Doug Demuro's general approach to reviewing cars. Plenty of outlets focus on the driving experience and almost all go into about the same level of detail on the technical aspects. But almost none get into the minutiae of the cars themselves--which to me is something everyone can relate to. Many people aren't tracking their cars or have access to really technical backroads (and if they do, how many are actually going out specifically to drive those roads hard).

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      06-25-2020 09:57 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Watching motorsports on TV is almost as boring as watching baseball on TV. Part 2 to this is that someone needs to bring back an unlimited class for some type of sports car racing---other than some safety equipment, there should be no other rules other than it needs to have 4 wheels at each corner, a seat, and steering wheel. That is potentially something I'd tune into watch.

Both hypercars and vintage cars do very little for me. I like looking at them and occasionally learning about them, but my desire to own examples of either is virtually 0.

Perhaps the most controversial, at least around here, is that I like Doug Demuro's general approach to reviewing cars. Plenty of outlets focus on the driving experience and almost all go into about the same level of detail on the technical aspects. But almost none get into the minutiae of the cars themselves--which to me is something everyone can relate to. Many people aren't tracking their cars or have access to really technical backroads (and if they do, how many are actually going out specifically to drive those roads hard).
      Agree 100%. I don’t watch all of Doug’s videos but when he does a car I’m interested in I find his videos fascinating. I’m not Chris Harris so I don’t need to see Chris Harris talk about why a GT2 RS is .03% better than the old GT2 at 14/tents. But look at this coke mirror in a Testarossa? Cool!

Also I’m 50% through the latest DeMuro on Smoking Tire podcast and it’s fascinating as they talk about the business of YouTube and how they approach things.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

10. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-25-2020 09:58 AM #34
      Clear coat is just a layer of paint with no pigment, so no, it's not already protecting the paint. It IS the paint. And many colors don't have a clear coat on them. (source: auto body and paint guy for a couple decades, as well as owning my own custom body shop). Clear coat doesn't protect from chips, or fading.

So that opinion isn't sacrilegious, just factually incorrect.
      Pretty sure you know what I meant. Clearcoat holds all kinds of contaminants and scratches and such, is much more easily "repaired" than base coat, and protects the base coat from all kinds of things. That's plenty good enough for me and it's an unpopular opinion for an enthusiast.

06-25-2020 09:59 AM #35
      Driving a slow car fast doesn't equal fun. Driving a fast car slow is often much more fun.
      2017 VW GTI

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      06-25-2020 10:02 AM #36
      Manual transmissions are overrated. A lot of them just aren't good (I owned a few manual transmission Nissan cars). And a lot of the time, if a car needs a manual to be fun at all, it's probably not that fun to begin with. All the objective advantages are gone. So for a daily driver I am pretty much transmission agnostic. If I'm looking at a car with a manual and auto option, if the auto option has at least 6 gears I will give it a test drive. But out of the 10 cars I've owned the last 3 have been auto and I don't really miss manual that much.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      06-25-2020 10:04 AM #37
      Modern Japanese cars suck. As do most older ones.
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Came into to say "I couldn't imagine buying a new Japanese car in 2020"
      OK, I'll be your huckleberry. What do non Japanese cars do well that Japanese cars don't? Give some examples.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

14. 06-25-2020 10:12 AM #38
      put the same engine in a Boxster/Cayman and it'll be a better car than a 911 every time

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      06-25-2020 10:12 AM #39
      I agree on the OP about the E-type. Not a fan of cars with super long hoods.

To post a new one: classic muscle cars are ugly.

This is a hot mess of design. Can't understand why people pay big $$$ just because these have an enormous wing.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-25-2020 10:12 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      OK, I'll be your huckleberry. What do non Japanese cars do well that Japanese cars don't? Give some examples.
      Well for one, non Japanese cars are very good at not being the fastest road-going FWD vehicle ever. Absurd to right off Japanese cars, but at least that's the point of the thread.

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI
      06-25-2020 10:26 AM #41
      I don’t really care for the s2k... mainly due to VTEC. I’d rather have 20 less peak hp and a normal power curve.
      2019 Subaru Ascent | 2016 VW GTI S | 2010 Audi A4 Avant S-Line | PAST: 2006 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Scion xB, 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, 2003 BMW M3, 1986 MB 190E 2.3-16

18. Junior Member Ironworker470's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1972 Pontiac LeMans, 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
      06-25-2020 10:39 AM #42
      To be fair, the Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbirds were homologation specials. People thought they were ugly when they were new. It's their rarity that makes them desirable in my opinion.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-25-2020 10:39 AM #43
      Ok, name me a few good modern Japanese EVs. I'll wait. And I dislike the Leaf. The driving dynamics of most of them suck until you get to the Type Rs. But Camry's and Accords don't give anything superior for the hype they generate (and in fact are inferior in a number of categories). Accords in particular have had horrendous seats IMO with very little thigh support and badly angled seat lowers (feel like your leaning forward in the seats). Styling isn't all that great in most of them, either (hate Toyotas and Lexuses in particular, except the LC500 and even then I'd rather have an Aston at that price point). With reliability being quite high amongst all brands, I just don't see the need to choose the boring mainstreamers anymore even for a daily driver. So basically, if you want sporty, look somewhere else. If you want styling, look somewhere else. If you want reliability, you don't need to go there anymore.

The last Toyota I like was in the '80s. The last Nissan I liked never came here. The last Honda I liked was also in the '80s. But I don't want any of them NOW. Back then, they were cool in comparison to what the Americans were doing and cheaper than what you could get from Europe. Now? I just don't see the need or desire to jump on the "only Japanese" bandwagon.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

20. 06-25-2020 10:43 AM #44
      NASCAR fans should be allowed to have rebel flag shirts, flags, or decals if they want them. Poor taste shouldn't be illegal, and if it were NASCAR wouldn't exist anyway.

Vehicles
      4 Cars, 30 cylinders, 2 turbos, 1500hp and 23 gears
      06-25-2020 10:44 AM #45
      40mph should be the minimum speed limit allowed on any road

anyone blocking a highway for protest should be run over

electric cars are worse for the environment than ICE
      Last edited by TurboREX; 06-25-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      06-25-2020 10:45 AM #46
      Engaging in debate and explaining your position is NOT the intent of this thread. The intention is to voice your opinion that is counter to the generally accepted norm.

23. 06-25-2020 10:46 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboREX View Post
      40mph should be the minimum speed limit allowed on any road

anyone blocking a highway for protest should be run over
      That would simultaneously help reduce our healthcare costs by eliminating the fattest and least nimble young people early on that can't jump out of the way, before they can become a burden to the state. TurboREX 2020! You got my vote.

Vehicles
      '16 Soul
      06-25-2020 10:47 AM #48
      I don't get the fapping over those Jag E Types either.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-25-2020 10:49 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I agree on the OP about the E-type. Not a fan of cars with super long hoods.

To post a new one: classic muscle cars are ugly.

This is a hot mess of design. Can't understand why people pay big $$$ just because these have an enormous wing.
      You don't understand racing homologation specials that always command big bucks, even if they aren't the prettiest cars on the road? Ok then. Does make for a sacrilegious opinion, I'll grant you that. But that car was never about being pretty, just fast. What about other classic muscle, like this?

or with the ancestor to all modern grilles:

"Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Vehicles
      GTI
      06-25-2020 10:55 AM #50
      1. Tesla's are bland cookie cutter styled glorified golf carts.

2. Modern muscle cars are garbage and a waste of resources and money.

3. Touchscreens are not the answer.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast