VWVortex.com - ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      06-25-2020 11:00 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      You don't understand racing homologation specials that always command big bucks, even if they aren't the prettiest cars on the road? Ok then. Does make for a sacrilegious opinion, I'll grant you that. But that car was never about being pretty, just fast. What about other classic muscle, like this?

or with the ancestor to all modern grilles:

No one needs you to come in this thread and tell us we are wrong.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-25-2020 11:02 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      No one needs you to come in this thread and tell us we are wrong.
      Not saying he's wrong, just agreeing that it was a sacrilegious opinion. That's why I put a smiley on there. CTK already asked to clarify MY position, so why can't I clarify other's ? Hmm?
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Cherokee Limited, 2016 Charger R/T, 2018 Pacifica Limited, 2001 Jetta VR6 5MT
      06-25-2020 11:04 AM #53
      The idea that "built not bought" matters.

There is this idea that you're only a car guy if you build your car from scratch and do all the work and everything yourself. I think its a load of crap.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      06-25-2020 11:05 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      You don't understand racing homologation specials that always command big bucks, even if they aren't the prettiest cars on the road? Ok then. Does make for a sacrilegious opinion, I'll grant you that. But that car was never about being pretty, just fast. What about other classic muscle, like this?

or with the ancestor to all modern grilles:

I get the race cars don't have to be pretty (I love group B cars even though they aren't). But I feel similarly about all of the famous muscle cars (Chevelles, etc.). I just don't like big coupes with long hoods unless you are talking pre-war cars.

The Camaro SS on top is restomoded to within an inch of its life, but stock examples do nothing for me. Not a fan of the wheels on that one (or really any chrome wheel). The 71 grille is hideous, ancestor or no. Besides, while I understand it's sort of splitting hairs, I put the Camaro in a separate "pony car" category from the muscle cars.
      Last edited by Nealric; 06-25-2020 at 11:08 AM.

6. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      06-25-2020 11:09 AM #55
      The car lounge sucks.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      '14 JKU Sahara, '93 Porsche 911 RSA, '92 LS2 Miata
      06-25-2020 11:10 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      men who bang on about how a manual is the only transmission that is acceptable have masculinity/sexuality issues. your obsession with grabbing the stick in your hand firmly says a lot more about your masculinity/sexuality situation than the fact that you have been married for however many years.
      My sacrilegious opinion is that I don’t understand why everything gets turned into a metaphor regarding sex, including Manuel. Is it really that bad to have fun executing the perfect rev match?
      Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      Wow. Its like a bicep with six-pack abs made entirely of fists.

8. 06-25-2020 11:10 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      The car lounge sucks.
      In a good way, or like dry with teeth scraping?

Vehicles
      2000 VW Cabrio, 1988 Turbo VW Fox PickUp
      06-25-2020 11:11 AM #58
      I'm a full of heresy:

• I'd rather have a small displacement 4cyl with a turbo than anything with more than 4 cylinders
      • I'd prefer a FWD unibody car-based small pickup truck than any "real" truck
      • I'd rather have a Nissan than a Honda
      • I'd rather have a Suzuki Jimny than any Jeep
      • I'd rather have a Scion TC than a FRS/BRZ
      • I F#*`*! hate Subaru, horizontally opposed engines and mandatory always on AWD
      • I like CVTs
      • I like the Cadillac ELR
      Pre-PasswordGate, I was DasBaldGuy
      I for one, welcome our new TrumpOverlord
      #ImWithHim

Vehicles
      2020 Volvo XC40
      06-25-2020 11:11 AM #59
      The higher a truck is lifted, the more secure the driver is with the size of his, er, hands.

11. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      06-25-2020 11:13 AM #60
      The Bears suck.
      ftfy
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      06-25-2020 11:14 AM #61
      The car lounge sucks.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-25-2020 11:16 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Manual transmissions are overrated. A lot of them just aren't good (I owned a few manual transmission Nissan cars).
      While I don't need an excellent manual to enjoying driving a car with this type of transmission, I am starting to think that some manufacturers are purposely putting out poor quality manuals to move people into DCTs. "Hey, no one buys our manual cars, so there's no longer a business case to keep offering them." Well, perhaps things would be different if you put some actual effort into developing a quality manual transmission. In this day and age with the technology that's available, there's really no excuse for the existence of poor feeling manual transmissions. I think there's a fair amount of sandbagging in the auto industry to legitimize lazy, boring decisions that force people into products or technology that people don't necessarily want.

I'm looking forward to the next Z and seeing what the manual transmission in that car feels like.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 06-25-2020 at 11:19 AM.

14. 06-25-2020 11:19 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      While I don't need an excellent manual to enjoying driving a car with this type of transmission, I am starting to think that some manufacturers are purposely putting out poor quality manuals to move people into DCTs.
      I think the "shift" happened when they would only make 1 out of 1000 stickshift using the cheapest manual available on the market, purely so that TV and radio advertisements could say "starting at $19,999", knowing full well people would have to tack on $1200 for the automatic.

Vehicles
      06-25-2020 11:21 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      While I don't need an excellent manual to enjoying driving a car with this type of transmission, I am starting to think that some manufacturers are purposely putting out poor quality manuals to move people into DCTs. "Hey, no one buys our manual cars, so there's no longer a business case to keep offering them." Well, perhaps things would be different if you put some actual effort into developing a quality manual transmission. In this day and age with the technology that's available, there's really no excuse for the existence of poor feeling manual transmissions. I think there's a fair amount of sandbagging in the auto industry to legitimize lazy or boring decisions that are made by many companies.

I'm looking forward to the next Z and seeing what the manual transmission in that car feels like.
      I don't think it's on purpose, it's just that manuals are increasingly an afterthought. If they do get the greenlight to offer a manual transmission, they usually get next to zero R&D budget for it given usually low anticipated take rate. That means the transmission has to be from the existing parts bin (often precludes use in higher output trims), and no attention is given to the shift mechanism or touchpoint feel.

"Nobody wants a manual" becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.

16. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      06-25-2020 11:24 AM #65
      ftfy
      ooohhhh heeelllllllllllll noooooo
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      06-25-2020 11:24 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      The Camaro SS on top is restomoded to within an inch of its life, but stock examples do nothing for me.
      The only difference from stock is the wheels. What do you mean within an inch of it's life? No body mods, or unusual paint or anything. Stock in comparison:

But yeah, if you don't like a car you don't like a car. I just find the reasoning behind it fascinating, is all.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      06-25-2020 11:27 AM #67
      I think the trick to this thread is trying not to justify your opinion or argue against anyone else's.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      06-25-2020 11:29 AM #68
      I don't think it's on purpose, it's just that manuals are increasingly an afterthought. If they do get the greenlight to offer a manual transmission, they usually get next to zero R&D budget for it given usually low anticipated take rate. That means the transmission has to be from the existing parts bin (often precludes use in higher output trims), and no attention is given to the shift mechanism or touchpoint feel.

"Nobody wants a manual" becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy.
      Plus in an increasingly emission-conscious/restricted world they have to do tricks like rev hang to make compliant Manuel’s and that screws things up further.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      06-25-2020 11:32 AM #69
      Brodozers are dumb and I wish they'd all break down irreparably.
      ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      06-25-2020 11:33 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Brodozers are dumb and I wish they'd all break down irreparably.
      I'd say that's actually a popular opinion around here.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha, 87 Jetta 2DR
      06-25-2020 11:34 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      I think the trick to this thread is trying not to justify your opinion or argue against anyone else's.
      Good luck with that in here. But I agree.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-25-2020 11:39 AM #72
      Here's another one.

During the last gas crisis (2008?), I bought a cheap 4 cylinder car, to help offset the fuel costs from my mid-sized SUV.
      This car was an Oldsmobile Achieva. The Achieva was Olds' version of the Pontiac Grand Am. Olds had tried two or three different nameplates, for their version of the Grand Am, over the years.
      The Achieva didn't achieve expectations, and was replaced by the much more attractive Alero, by the 2000s. My Achieva was the coupe, painted in period appropriate aqua/turquoise, and had the Quad4 H.O. engine.
      It was an ugly SOB, that smelled and smoked like it was burning oil, yet the dipstick never registered any loss of oil level. The Quad4 H.O. was a demon unleashed! I've always wanted to drive a car that made better use of that engine. Maybe a Chevy Cavalier Z24? The Achieva was a true Olds rocket, but the suspension and steering let the engine down.

All of this is to say "enthusiast" cars are overrated.
      I bought the Achieva kind of as a joke, for very little money.
      It was a car out of time, in the late 2000s, and its anachronistic nature brought my friends and coworkers so much joy and laughter.
      Coworkers would beg to drive it at lunch, or would demand that I drive to lunch. Friends took pictures with it and asked me to DD on Friday night adventures.
      There's something to be learned here about making cars with personality traits other than sporty, utilitarian, family-friendly, or even reliable.
      Bring back the oddball cars that make people smile and feel out of step with the norm.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      06-25-2020 11:44 AM #73
      I'm American and I love wagons.
      _____
      Justin

2019 Arteon SEL Premium R-Line

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      06-25-2020 11:46 AM #74
      I'd say that's actually a popular opinion around here.
      I'm surrounded by them all day here so they seem like very popular trucks to me.
      ಠ_ಠ

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-25-2020 11:48 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Here's another one.

During the last gas crisis (2008?), I bought a cheap 4 cylinder car, to help offset the fuel costs from my mid-sized SUV.
      This car was an Oldsmobile Achieva. The Achieva was Olds' version of the Pontiac Grand Am. Olds had tried two or three different nameplates, for their version of the Grand Am, over the years.
      The Achieva didn't achieve expectations, and was replaced by the much more attractive Alero, by the 2000s. My Achieva was the coupe, painted in period appropriate aqua/turquoise, and had the Quad4 H.O. engine.
      It was an ugly SOB, that smelled and smoked like it was burning oil, yet the dipstick never registered any loss of oil level. The Quad4 H.O. was a demon unleashed! I've always wanted to drive a car that made better use of that engine. Maybe a Chevy Cavalier Z24? The Achieva was a true Olds rocket, but the suspension and steering let the engine down.

All of this is to say "enthusiast" cars are overrated.
      I bought the Achieva kind of as a joke, for very little money.
      It was a car out of time, in the late 2000s, and its anachronistic nature brought my friends and coworkers so much joy and laughter.
      Coworkers would beg to drive it at lunch, or would demand that I drive to lunch. Friends took pictures with it and asked me to DD on Friday night adventures.
      There's something to be learned here about making cars with personality traits other than sporty, utilitarian, family-friendly, or even reliable.
      Bring back the oddball cars that make people smile and feel out of step with the norm.
      I'm not sure I understand the connection between your story and your bolded conclusion. To me, it's like saying that all luxury cars are overrated because the Caddy Cimarron was such a turd.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast