VWVortex.com - ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have

1. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      06-25-2020 11:48 AM #76
      The new Supra is over rated and I'm tired of all the press coverage it gets.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      06-25-2020 11:52 AM #77
      I am mightily impressed by this list. If we're keeping score, nobody is beating this.

Quote Originally Posted by DerBaldGuy View Post
      I'm a full of heresy:

• I'd rather have a small displacement 4cyl with a turbo than anything with more than 4 cylinders
      • I'd prefer a FWD unibody car-based small pickup truck than any "real" truck
      • I'd rather have a Nissan than a Honda
      • I'd rather have a Suzuki Jimny than any Jeep
      • I'd rather have a Scion TC than a FRS/BRZ
      • I F#*`*! hate Subaru, horizontally opposed engines and mandatory always on AWD
      • I like CVTs
      • I like the Cadillac ELR

06-25-2020 11:55 AM #78
      Despite their amazing performance, I hate that all of the German supersedans(E63/M5/RS6/Panamera Turbo) have all converged down to the same exact drivetrain.

"In-vee twin turbo V8 with 600+hp, AWD, an 8+-speed automatic...we're done here. Enjoy. "

BORING.
      2017 VW GTI

Vehicles
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-25-2020 11:56 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
      NASCAR fans should be allowed to have rebel flag shirts, flags, or decals if they want them. Poor taste shouldn't be illegal, and if it were NASCAR wouldn't exist anyway.
      It's not just poor taste, it's blatantly a symbol of white supremacy even if those flying it don't necessarily understand why that is the case.

As for my take, I kinda like crossovers in so much as I'm happy that others enjoy them and have a vehicle form factor that appeals to them in a number of levels beyond just the practical. My Highlander is a great vehicle overall. Practical, reliable, and my wife finds it to be a wonderful every day car.

Vehicles
      2011 BMW 328i Touring, 2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      06-25-2020 11:59 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I'm not sure I understand the connection between your story and your bolded conclusion. To me, it's like saying that all luxury cars are overrated because the Caddy Cimarron was such a turd.
      I think his point is that the Achieva wasn't an enthusiast car in the traditional sense, but still garnered enthusiasm. I don't know how that makes "enthusiast" cars overrated though.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      06-25-2020 11:59 AM #81
      A minivan is always a better choice than a 3 row CUV/SUV, regardless of use case.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      06-25-2020 12:03 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I have almost zero interest in hypercars.
      Took the words right out of my brain. They are a novelty, but I really could care less about any of them.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      06-25-2020 12:07 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      The new Supra is over rated and I'm tired of all the press coverage it gets.
      I was feeling the other way. I feel like a lot of people, including me, were poo-pooing the Supra, and then I was listening to some Everyday Driver podcasts and they were really pushing it, and so I watched some videos on it. It’s my “car of the moment” and if I had $50k for a 2-seater I’d go look at one right now. Especially if they Manuel it soon.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      06-25-2020 12:08 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I'm not sure I understand the connection between your story and your bolded conclusion. To me, it's like saying that all luxury cars are overrated because the Caddy Cimarron was such a turd.
      My point is/was not all enthusiast cars suck, but there is or should be other valid ways of enjoying a car that have nothing to do with Nurburgring times and Chris Harris reviews.
      What if a car was designed to make you smile or laugh?
      What if a car was designed for introverts?
      What if a car was designed for extroverts, who had no desire to go fast?
      There's just so many human personality types, but cars are designed to be acceptable to everyone, while still fitting into a very narrowly defined zeitgeist.

11. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      06-25-2020 12:09 PM #85
      TCL is full of intelligent well reasoned individuals.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      06-25-2020 12:09 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      A minivan is always a better choice than a 3 row CUV/SUV, regardless of use case.
      What about towing a boat

Vehicles
      mk6 CW GTI, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      06-25-2020 12:11 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      1. Tesla's are bland cookie cutter styled glorified golf carts.

3. Touchscreens are not the answer.
      1. does anyone think they are beautifully sculpted works of automotive art?

3. this is a very popular opinion here

Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Brodozers are dumb and I wish they'd all break down irreparably.
      also a shared popular opinion

Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      this is a fact. i also don't understand why all the moms in our neighborhood are switching from the Odyssey/Sienna to the Pilot/Highlander... "coolness factor"? minivans are better in every way. mrs. mustard is in the same "i refuse to drive a minivan" boat.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-25-2020 12:11 PM #88
      • I don't think air-cooled Porsches sound good
      • I think all 4WD trucks should have a manual transfer case lever and not electronic actuators
      • Except when needed for brake sizing on supercars, wheels over 18" in diameter are ridiculous, especially on trucks where you want some sidewall
      • Having things like power windows and high beams controlled through the CAN bus instead of just using a switch is stupid and needlessly complicated
      • Owning a workaday car that can be thrashed relentlessly with zero issues is more rewarding than having something more fun but temperamental
      • I love the Lexas LFA
      • I care more about mechanical durability and reliability than features
      • I hate straight-piped exhausts on anything
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      06-25-2020 12:16 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      • I don't think air-cooled Porsches sound good
      • I think all 4WD trucks should have a manual transfer case lever and not electronic actuators
      • Except when needed for brake sizing on supercars, wheels over 18" in diameter are ridiculous, especially on trucks where you want some sidewall
      • Having things like power windows and high beams controlled through the CAN bus instead of just using a switch is stupid and needlessly complicated
      • Owning a workaday car that can be thrashed relentlessly with zero issues is more rewarding than having something more fun but temperamental
      • I love the Lexas LFA
      • I care more about mechanical durability and reliability than features
      • I hate straight-piped exhausts on anything
      You're a god damned wildcat.
      1. I take umbridge with your assessment, sir.
      2. Somewhat agree.
      3. Absolutely agree.
      4. Absolutely agree.
      5. Why not have both?
      6. Absolutely agree.
      7. Yep.
      8. You're drunk as can be and should be detained.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      06-25-2020 12:17 PM #90
      Donks are a great display of tongue-in-cheek automotive passion.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      06-25-2020 12:18 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      I was feeling the other way. I feel like a lot of people, including me, were poo-pooing the Supra, and then I was listening to some Everyday Driver podcasts and they were really pushing it, and so I watched some videos on it. It’s my “car of the moment” and if I had $50k for a 2-seater I’d go look at one right now. Especially if they Manuel it soon.
      One of my coworkers just got one. I don't know him/her, but it just showed up in the employee parking lot one day. I like it a lot now that I get to walk around and look at it, and I used to ne one of those poopooers

Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      My point is/was not all enthusiast cars suck, but there is or should be other valid ways of enjoying a car that have nothing to do with Nurburgring times and Chris Harris reviews.
      There's just so many human personality types, but cars are designed to be acceptable to everyone, while still fitting into a very narrowly defined zeitgeist.
      I agree.
      ಠ_ಠ

18. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      06-25-2020 12:19 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Donks are a great display of automotive passion.

FTFY
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      06-25-2020 12:20 PM #93
      Here's another one.

During the last gas crisis (2008?), I bought a cheap 4 cylinder car, to help offset the fuel costs from my mid-sized SUV.
      This car was an Oldsmobile Achieva. The Achieva was Olds' version of the Pontiac Grand Am. Olds had tried two or three different nameplates, for their version of the Grand Am, over the years.
      The Achieva didn't achieve expectations, and was replaced by the much more attractive Alero, by the 2000s. My Achieva was the coupe, painted in period appropriate aqua/turquoise, and had the Quad4 H.O. engine.
      It was an ugly SOB, that smelled and smoked like it was burning oil, yet the dipstick never registered any loss of oil level. The Quad4 H.O. was a demon unleashed! I've always wanted to drive a car that made better use of that engine. Maybe a Chevy Cavalier Z24? The Achieva was a true Olds rocket, but the suspension and steering let the engine down.

All of this is to say "enthusiast" cars are overrated.
      I bought the Achieva kind of as a joke, for very little money.
      It was a car out of time, in the late 2000s, and its anachronistic nature brought my friends and coworkers so much joy and laughter.
      Coworkers would beg to drive it at lunch, or would demand that I drive to lunch. Friends took pictures with it and asked me to DD on Friday night adventures.
      There's something to be learned here about making cars with personality traits other than sporty, utilitarian, family-friendly, or even reliable.
      Bring back the oddball cars that make people smile and feel out of step with the norm.
      I'm not sure how this is sacrilege. GM built a lot of odd-yet-cool stuff back in the late-'80s and '90s like the Z versions of the Cavalier, Beretta and Lumina, the Grand Prix GT (especially the 2-door version), the Achieva with a Quad 4 and Bonneville SSEi, just to name a few. They all were built to GM's usual standards of the times, so in retrospect they weren't objectively great cars but most of them had nice seats, they came in actual colors and some had some pretty rad decals. They didn't handle like a 911 but drove pretty well considering their underpinnings and were certainly no slouch in a straight line (I knew a kid with a Z26 Beretta and it was downright quick) and were generally nice highway cruisers.

It's probably a whole lot less controversial, but it kind of sounds like what you're really saying is special versions of "ordinary" cars are underrated relative to cars deemed inherently "special" if that makes any sense.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      06-25-2020 12:20 PM #94
      Donks are a great display of tongue-in-cheek automotive passion.
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      FTFY
      Donks are great.
      FTFY too.
      ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch
      06-25-2020 12:21 PM #95
      I actually really enjoy the CVT in my Corolla.

22. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      06-25-2020 12:24 PM #96
      I truthfully like donks...they make me smile
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-25-2020 12:24 PM #97
      Technically these cars exist. Since your examples don't take cost into consideration (which is fine), the following seem to fit with your categories:
      Smile or laugh: Modern high hp pony cars are sure to make anyone laugh when the go-pedal is mashed to the floor. Something like a boxster/cayman are sure to make someone smile every time they drive it.

Introvert car: Anything that's understated in a muted color. A GTI is a good example of this. But so are things like an S6 (particularly older generations) or even like an e39 M5. You aren't getting much attention in any of these cars unless you happen across the small swath of the enthusiasts who know what they're looking at

Extrovert with no desire to go fast: A miata in a loud color or even a base-engine pony car in a loud color

I'm not saying that these are the only options, but there is a enough of a variety of vehicles on the market that every one of your personality types or objectives could be met. But of course, what makes someone smile or laugh is going to be WAY different, so you can't exactly make something like that to a particular standard.

Ring times only resonate for those where such stats matter. Plus it's an objective marketing tool to get people into the seats of their cars. The elements you mention are important on an individual level but have very little value in a broader marketing campaign. Having said that, most manufacturers will show people behind the wheel of their car smiling, but that's a bit more about psychology than it is about a car actually being enjoyable to operate.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      06-25-2020 12:24 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      8. You're drunk as can be and should be detained.
      I used to be pretty much indifferent, but now we live downtown half a block away from a main road and it is a near constant stream of Harleys, Cummins Rams, V6 Camaros revving out to 7000 RPM and Infiniti G3xs that have perfected the art of full throttle/0%/full throttle/0% to induce a constant stream of backfires. The last is kind of amusing but not at 2am.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      06-25-2020 12:27 PM #99
      Rarely do I see people who push minivans driving minivans themselves. It’s a lot of “other people should do this thing I don’t do.”
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

26. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      06-25-2020 12:30 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I used to be pretty much indifferent, but now we live downtown half a block away from a main road and it is a near constant stream of Harleys, Cummins Rams, V6 Camaros revving out to 7000 RPM and Infiniti G3xs that have perfected the art of full throttle/0%/full throttle/0% to induce a constant stream of backfires. The last is kind of amusing but not at 2am.
      Absolutely agree. Everybody seems to have a loud exhaust on their car these days. Even as I type this I can hear something fart canning along in the distance....and now a Harley is going by. Ugh.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast