VWVortex.com - ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN. fellow car bores! Give me the most sacriligious opinion you have

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-25-2020 12:41 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Engaging in debate and explaining your position is NOT the intent of this thread. The intention is to voice your opinion that is counter to the generally accepted norm.
      Exactly. This isn't the "Argue with my opinion thread" it's the "here's my sacriligious opinion" thread.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      06-25-2020 12:46 PM #102
      This may not fit the thread because probably most people agree, but the last few posts reminded me:

Harley exhausts are the worst. The wooooorrrrrrrrssssssssssstttt.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      06-25-2020 12:49 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      What about towing a boat
      did I stutter?

*googles for picture of minivan towing boat and uses it as proof*

Vehicles
      06-25-2020 12:49 PM #104
      Loud pipes do not save lives.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      06-25-2020 12:54 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      This may not fit the thread because probably most people agree, but the last few posts reminded me:

Harley exhausts are the worst. The wooooorrrrrrrrssssssssssstttt.
      Agree
      ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2018 A6, SQ5
      06-25-2020 12:54 PM #106
      BMW is the ultimate driving machine

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      06-25-2020 12:56 PM #107
      If you're under 25 you need a yearly driving test.
      If you're over 65 you need a yearly driving and vision test.
      ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      06-25-2020 01:04 PM #108
      Lamborghini Gallardos have boring and uninspired doorstop styling.

Last edited by DerSpiegel; 06-25-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      06-25-2020 01:07 PM #109
      Spitting flames out the exhaust is dumb. So is doing burnouts.
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      06-25-2020 01:09 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Despite their amazing performance, I hate that all of the German supersedans(E63/M5/RS6/Panamera Turbo) have all converged down to the same exact drivetrain.

"In-vee twin turbo V8 with 600+hp, AWD, an 8+-speed automatic...we're done here. Enjoy. "

BORING.
      I understand it, but completely agree. Mercedes is the best example of this currently: the 4.0L TT V8 that is in every X63 / AMG GT. I understand why - and it's honestly a good engine - but it sort of kills any idea of "uniqueness".

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      The new Supra is over rated and I'm tired of all the press coverage it gets.
      I have thought this since it was announced to be a joint venture with BMW. It is good for what it is, but it does not rustle any jimmies for me - there is nothing remarkable about it.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

12. 06-25-2020 01:20 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      A minivan is always a better choice than a 3 row CUV/SUV, regardless of use case.
      M.I.A.T.A: Minivan Is Always The Answer

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      06-25-2020 01:28 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Ok, name me a few good modern Japanese EVs. I'll wait. And I dislike the Leaf. The driving dynamics of most of them suck until you get to the Type Rs. But Camry's and Accords don't give anything superior for the hype they generate (and in fact are inferior in a number of categories). Accords in particular have had horrendous seats IMO with very little thigh support and badly angled seat lowers (feel like your leaning forward in the seats). Styling isn't all that great in most of them, either (hate Toyotas and Lexuses in particular, except the LC500 and even then I'd rather have an Aston at that price point). With reliability being quite high amongst all brands, I just don't see the need to choose the boring mainstreamers anymore even for a daily driver. So basically, if you want sporty, look somewhere else. If you want styling, look somewhere else. If you want reliability, you don't need to go there anymore.

The last Toyota I like was in the '80s. The last Nissan I liked never came here. The last Honda I liked was also in the '80s. But I don't want any of them NOW. Back then, they were cool in comparison to what the Americans were doing and cheaper than what you could get from Europe. Now? I just don't see the need or desire to jump on the "only Japanese" bandwagon.
      OK, so in other words Japanese cars don't really suck, you just don't like what they have to offer today, but want to sound edgy and controversial. Understood but not really a great jumping point for discussion.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      06-25-2020 01:31 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      Engaging in debate and explaining your position is NOT the intent of this thread. The intention is to voice your opinion that is counter to the generally accepted norm.
      What is the point of having people post positions, but not allowing them to explain them? I think it can be fun and insightful to have people flesh out their controversial stances. Otherwise it just sounds like a thoughtless hot take contest.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      06-25-2020 01:33 PM #114
      Explain, respond and comment, sure. But let's not grab one person's hot take and turn it into a 4 page back and forth that totally derails the thread, as so many TCL threads already do that.

Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      06-25-2020 01:36 PM #115
      I like being edgy and different without rhyme, reason or explanation. Change my mind.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-25-2020 01:41 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      While I don't need an excellent manual to enjoying driving a car with this type of transmission, I am starting to think that some manufacturers are purposely putting out poor quality manuals to move people into DCTs. "Hey, no one buys our manual cars, so there's no longer a business case to keep offering them." Well, perhaps things would be different if you put some actual effort into developing a quality manual transmission. In this day and age with the technology that's available, there's really no excuse for the existence of poor feeling manual transmissions. I think there's a fair amount of sandbagging in the auto industry to legitimize lazy, boring decisions that force people into products or technology that people don't necessarily want.

I'm looking forward to the next Z and seeing what the manual transmission in that car feels like.
      Well, hmm. A lot of interesting points here. I don't think automakers intentionally nuked their manual boxes. I can't think of any automaker whose manuals have got significantly worse. Plus there are still places in the world where people buy manuals, and it makes no sense to offer a great box there and ****ty ones here.

It's a US thing. Manual take rates were in freefall when they were good. The bottom line is automatics have just got so much better objectively and subjectively that even new car buying enthusiasts have thrown in the towel. I think a lot of people like to hop online with avatars of uncompromising automotive purists, but reality obviously doesn't jive with the dream being sold.

And I'd wager the next Z will have an updated version of the strong but crappy feeling box from my 350Z. I'm looking forward to it too but I'm not getting my hopes up for either transmission option.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      20 Telluride SX, 17 CX-5 GT, 07 Airstream
      06-25-2020 01:47 PM #117
      - Most manufacturer tow ratings are BS.

Car-based platforms are typically only rated to meet a competitive-in-class figure (say, 5000 lbs for 3row SUVs) rather than showing their true potential; a higher number won't really win additional sales. On the other hand. pickup ratings are stretched to the limit for bragging rights. And all tow ratings don't (and can't) take into account differences in trailer dynamics and good vs bad hitching technique; the SAE standard isn't really that comprehensive.

- Crossovers are just station wagons with some more ground clearance. Don't hate on one but worship the other.

- The Lotus Elan M100 was a great car (yes, I've driven one.)

Tom

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW 328i Touring, 2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      06-25-2020 01:50 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Well, hmm. A lot of interesting points here. I don't think automakers intentionally nuked their manual boxes. I can't think of any automaker whose manuals have got significantly worse. Plus there are still places in the world where people buy manuals, and it makes no sense to offer a great box there and ****ty ones here.

It's a US thing. Manual take rates were in freefall when they were good. The bottom line is automatics have just got so much better objectively and subjectively that even new car buying enthusiasts have thrown in the towel. I think a lot of people like to hop online with avatars of uncompromising automotive purists, but reality obviously doesn't jive with the dream being sold.

And I'd wager the next Z will have an updated version of the strong but crappy feeling box from my 350Z. I'm looking forward to it too but I'm not getting my hopes up for either transmission option.
      As manuals waned in popularity manufacturers put less effort into them and the cars were designed around automatics or dual clutch boxes. Think of the manual in the last couple generations of M5 and M6, for example.

And if we're talking about performance cars, it's more of a Europe thing than a U.S. thing. Europeans shifted their demand to automatics very quickly and cars like the previous M5 and B8.5 S4 offered manuals only in North America because there was more demand here. Porsche is offering a manual in the 992 largely due to North American demand.

Vehicles
      06-25-2020 01:56 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      I like being edgy and different without rhyme, reason or explanation. Change my mind.
      Made me think of this.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      06-25-2020 02:00 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      OK, I'll be your huckleberry. What do non Japanese cars do well that Japanese cars don't? Give some examples.
      Easy bud, it's gonna be OK.

There is simply no segment I would be shopping in for brand new cars, where the total package offered by any one car made by a Japanese manufacturer would make it my choice. Different current gen Japanese cars have different weaknesses for me, but in general, I can often start with interior design, technology design/implementation, and exterior design, and go from there. Sometimes, powertrains are the issue, sometimes NVH, sometimes it's the interior materials, etc. Just my opinion considering my taste.

In thinking about used cars at different price points, I may be more open to some Japanese products, not sure.

I would never buy a Rolex with a date cyclops either. Most watch people don't care about that at all or even find it iconic. Different tastes make the world go round.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      06-25-2020 02:01 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

- Crossovers are just station wagons with some more ground clearance. Don't hate on one but worship the other.
      What if you hate unnecessary ground clearance and high seating positions?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 M3
      06-25-2020 02:07 PM #122
      The North American E36 was the best M3 and one of the most pure driver's cars BMW has ever made.

Unless it's a split-window Stringray, Corvettes do nothing for me.

Since they went beserk a few years ago, Lexus styling is really coming into it's own.

Subaru has never made a decent car. People ignore Subaru's shortcomings because "Subaru's are quirky." But they're not quirky. They're just boring and mediocre.

The late 90's ovoid Ford Taurus was actually kind of cool looking.

The S2000 is really better on paper than it is to actually drive.

Chris Bangle was right about everything.

Vehicles
      2000 VW Cabrio, 1988 Turbo VW Fox PickUp
      06-25-2020 02:07 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      I am mightily impressed by this list. If we're keeping score, nobody is beating this.

Pre-PasswordGate, I was DasBaldGuy
      I for one, welcome our new TrumpOverlord
      #ImWithHim

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      06-25-2020 02:09 PM #124
      I don't like the C8 Corvette

I don't like Doug DeMuro

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-25-2020 02:11 PM #125