VWVortex.com - Identifying 2008 2.0t engine (mid-year change?)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Identifying 2008 2.0t engine (mid-year change?)

1. 06-27-2020 07:03 PM #1
      I am looking at a 2008 Passat Komfort. Build date is 03/08 and I am trying to get the skinny on the engine. I read that 02/08 the engine was changed mid-year from a VW design to an Audi designed one.

Can someone point me to something authoritative on that? I have tried looking at parts on Blauparts, etc., googling but not findings something clear. Since the car has 180k on it, I was planning a t-belt, etc. job immediately if I purchase it. I was trying to understand the cam chain/tensioner issue, etc. but can't get clear info. Trying to understand prudent maintenance and known issues with the engine/drivetrain (auto) so I can make a call on it.

The engine cover has a VW roundel in the middle and "TSI" to the right (technically left) side. I have a picture but can't seem to attach one here.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 08 jetta 01 jetta 98 240sx
      06-27-2020 07:11 PM #2
      2008 (early) had an fsi engine and 2008.5 comes with a tsi engine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      DO YOU SPEAK DAS AUTO?

4. 06-27-2020 08:43 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by EVANGELIONHD View Post
      2008 (early) had an fsi engine and 2008.5 comes with a tsi engine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Ah, so turbo alone id's it; thank you; I hadn't picked up that the early 2008s were na. That means it is engine code CCTA and has a ZF six-speed tiptronic? (it is auto)
      Last edited by Oro-o; 06-27-2020 at 08:53 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      06-28-2020 11:13 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Oro-o View Post
      Ah, so turbo alone id's it; thank you; I hadn't picked up that the early 2008s were na. That means it is engine code CCTA and has a ZF six-speed tiptronic? (it is auto)
      Aisin 6-speed tiptronic.

and early 2008's have a BorgWarner K03 turbo attached to the BPY engine (the cam follower eating engine) with timing belt.

CCTA's got the IHI turbo with timing chain
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

7. 06-28-2020 11:31 PM #5
      Thanks, that helps some more.

Aisin 6spd? Well that's re-assuring. I'd rather have an aisin to take to higher miles than a ZF. I understand the CCTA has a cam chain tensioner issue, but I can live with dealing with that job along with other maintenance.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      06-28-2020 11:39 PM #6
      Yes, the CCTA has timing chain tensioner issues

As well as the IHI turbo developing a loose wastegate
      Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

9. 06-28-2020 11:46 PM #7
      OK, I know how to sort out a transmission (service for long life), and can deal with suspension issues/refurbishing.

What are the CCTA-specific issues I should be prepared to do on acquiring one w/an unknown service history? Check tensioner (replace if not new design)? Replace chain? GDI issues (clean valves)? Looking for a guide to that. Thanks for the advice or pointing the right direction.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      06-29-2020 12:09 AM #8
      Transmission originally was a "lifetime" fill, but later a maintenance circular came out to advise replacing the fluid (Toyota Type IV or equivalent), iirc every 50,000 miles.

Intake valve deposits is an issue on both FSI and TSI.

Timing chain tensioner checking

early CCTA/CBFA had water pump issues

Intake manifold is problematic on the TSI, as well as the PCV assembly
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion

11. 06-29-2020 02:23 PM #9
      Thank you again.

I checked out the 1a video on replacing - a little more involved than I thought because of the motor mount removal, but not a deal-breaker. Fortunately I can verify the type before doing it; so that's a relief. I had a tensioner fail and loose time on my SUV a few years ago (belt had been replaced, dealer skipped the tensioner). A while back I had a belt jump on an Audi V8 and crash the head (belt had been changed on schedule so - ?), thus I'm particular about timing maintenance.

The waterpump doesn't look fun either, but I can also visually check to see if it's been done before tearing into it.

This is all good to know - I can figure the cost/time to do that and in my mind, the car would be worth this hassle and it's so good to know I'm dealing with an Aisin and not ZF transmission. Really helps ease my mind about that. I can deal with these two things and then worry about valves and intake later. I read something about a camshaft bracket and VVT screen issue? I can't find clear advice on that.

Thanks a lot, this helps.

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      06-29-2020 06:51 PM #10
      "TSI" and "FSI" are just marketing designations. Both engines are direct-injected and turbocharged.

A really easy way to ID them is to open the hood. The Earlier "FSI" engines have the air filter integrated into the engine cover with "FSI" embossed on the plastic, while the later "TSI" engines have a separate air box behind the driver's side headlight and have "TSI" embossed on the plastic engine cover.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 745GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI