Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can you swap a Mk5 2.0t FSI into a mk6 R

Vehicles
      92/VW/G60 Callaway Cabrio
      06-27-2020 07:56 PM #1
      Hey guys the engine in my 6R is pretty beat I’ve been chasing a warm start smoking issue and cold start misfire for months now. Here are the things I’ve done:

-new r8 coilpacks and ngk iridium plugs gapped to APR’s spec since I’m stage 2*
      - carbon cleaning done by a VW dealer
      - new PCV valve front and new revised rear breather and gasket
      -new valve cover and gasket toques to spec in the correct pattern
      -fresh oil change Castrol 5w40
      -IE internals for the hpfp
      -manzo turboback catless
      -42dd intake
      -low pressure fuel senso revised
      -high pressure fuel sensor on the rail
      -gfb diverter valve
      -O2 spacer
      -new fuel pump control module under the back seat for lpfp
      -new oil cooler
      -compression test: #1||200psi #2 ||150 #3||150#4||153
      (Not sure what this means but I’ve consistently after all the work put in have been receiving the codes p0300(random misfire) p0303(cyl 3 misfire) p0304(cyl 4 misfire) prettt much the major of owner the car even after the carbon cleaning and fresh coils along with a cold start misfire

Now I got a little carried away with the list and decided to just state everything that’s on the car mods in such lol

But long story short just yesterday I started to get a knock and park the car only drove about 2 miles on it regular driving I ordered the New rod bearing set on US P motor sport but I’m starting to wonder if it is possible to swap a mark 5 2.0T FSI engine into my car Since I found one fairly cheap on the Facebook marketplace for sale claiming to be fully rebuilt. I am now coming up on the 100k mile mark at 98k currently and soon need to do the timing belt and water pump along with the cam chain and tensioner.

New to using this haven’t been on in years so any help would be great any even better if someon knows a thread already out there for the swap!
      Love&HatingBoost

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      06-27-2020 08:38 PM #2
      Or is it possible to swap a mk6 2.0t Tsi from a Gti using the ecu from the Gti keep my ko4 and exhaust manifold from the R
      Love&HatingBoost

4. 06-28-2020 10:31 AM #3
      Yes you can swap the Mk5 GTI EA113 block as they’re identical externally, but the R motor has upgraded internals and head (or maybe just cams) so getting a rebuilt Mk5 EA113 is a waste unless it’s been upgraded.

Mk6 GTI EA888 motor is a completely different design and your upgraded R internals won’t swap over. Nor will the head.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-28-2020 10:34 AM #4
      Jed02gtiguy ended up swapping a BPY block into his car due to crank wear. you can ask him what was involved.

My suggestion is if possible rebuild the CRZA

Vehicles
      06-28-2020 04:31 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Yes you can swap the Mk5 GTI EA113 block as they’re identical externally, but the R motor has upgraded internals and head (or maybe just cams) so getting a rebuilt Mk5 EA113 is a waste unless it’s been upgraded.

Mk6 GTI EA888 motor is a completely different design and your upgraded R internals won’t swap over. Nor will the head.

I figured the R internals were most likely beefier and did read up on that. I wasn’t expecting to get the CRZA internals over into the Tsi motor but more so build a Tsi engine and go with a beefed up tune making a more reliable awd GTI essentially.
      Love&HatingBoost

8. 06-30-2020 12:08 AM #6
      EA888 had timing chain issues, or at least the early ones. Not sure what the fix was.

9. 06-30-2020 01:42 PM #7
      DM me

10. 06-30-2020 02:10 PM #8
      Ya, the BPY bottom end will work fine, it's identical other than some extra webbing that the CRZA has. I have stock internals with 55k miles on them too. My motor went when I had forged internals... so if you need rods and pistons, I may be willing to sell them to you. I also have brand new Rods and Pistons from the BPY too. Unused Zero miles 82.5mm

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Grand Cherokee Overland, '09 Tiguan SE, '12 Golf R, '03 Boxster S, '82 quattro 20V
      06-30-2020 09:01 PM #9
      I am going through rebuilding my '12 R CRZA. I have done a few of the next gen TSI chain engines and while they have some improvements, the chains and water pump design is a step backwards in terms of reliability. That said, I came very close to building a CCTA TSI for the R instead of the CRZA, as I have a couple "extra" CCTAs and a spare engine harness and easy. The plumbing on the CCTA is MUCH simpler. It really would have been pretty easy. I do find it interesting that VW didn't make a performance version of that engine,

Another way to go would be to get an engine, harness and ECU from a '14 GLI. They use the current version TSI (like in the MBQ chassis cars) with exhaust manifold integrated in the head, but in the mk6 chassis, so the harness and mounts would be easy. I don't think that I have seen anyone do that swap yet, but it seems to me to be interesting way to go. They are getting pretty crazy hp out of those with great driveability.

As for differences in the BPY to CRZA. In the heads, both cams, and the exhaust valve springs are different. The exhaust valves springs are stiffer on the CRZA. As for the bottom end, aside from the mentioned block differences, the rods and pistons are different and the wrist pins are DLC coated and internally tapered. That seems better than the aftermarket stuff actually... The R wrist pins are 22mm (on mine at least, ETKA shows different sizes for different VIN splits), vs 20mm on the Mahle Motorsports pistons and matching IE rods that I got in. The BPY also uses 20mm wrist pins. Seeing that the piston failures on the CRZAs usually seems to be the ring lands breaking, perhaps having more meat between the ring and wrist pins isn't a bad thing.