VWVortex.com - Golf R, most overrated "performance" hatch of the decade ?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 221

    Thread: Golf R, most overrated "performance" hatch of the decade ?

    1. 06-29-2020 04:29 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      My perfect daily would be a Golf R variant with a stick.
      Same. I settled for a regular Sportwagen with AWD and a stick.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 26th, 2009
      Location
      Saint Paul, MN
      Posts
      3,056
      Vehicles
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      06-29-2020 04:40 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      For free! That would be the only way they could move them at meaningful volume
      I wonder if VWoA had only brought over the Golf R as a wagon how many fewer sales they would have had compared to the 5 door version we got.

    4. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      7,854
      Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      06-29-2020 04:44 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      For free! That would be the only way they could move them at meaningful volume
      We are talking fantasy here. Of course I know full well they aren't going to sell me one. But I would have bought one instead of the STI had they offered it.

    5. 06-29-2020 04:48 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      I wonder if VWoA had only brought over the Golf R as a wagon how many fewer sales they would have had compared to the 5 door version we got.
      I'm surprised how many hatch owners don't like how the wagon looks like, but considering how many don't, I'd guess they'd sell about a dozen to the weird people like me who actually like the wagon over the hatch.

      I would have preferred a 3 door hatch and wagon instead of (now) only getting the 5 door going forward.

    6. Member Nateblizzy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2003
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      1,290
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      06-29-2020 04:52 PM #105
      I love the subtlety of the Golf R and balance of daily drivability with performance. Track times be are impressive on paper and for the cool factor but not really translated well on the streets. A $700 tune would also take care of any "lack of performance". So if I have to have one car to do it all for around $40K, it would be the Golf R.

      What I care about slightly more than performance is interior quality and that is where the Golf R stands apart from the rest of the market along with its subtlety. The CTR offers amazing performance, there's no doubt about that. But I think I would feel a little ridiculous driving it around town as a daily, as with the Focus RS. And their interiors are cheaper feeling and ride quality less comfortable. Track times be damned.

      As far as I know, I don't think there is a RWD or AWD performance hatch/wagon, that can fit two bikes in the back, with as nice of an interior as a Golf R for around $40K. The only contenders stateside that I know of are the E63S Wagon and RS6 Avant, both of which would obviously blow the Golf R away in all aspects... but they're also $70K+ more expensive. So if you look at it that way, the Golf R is the luxury performance hatch bargain of the decade

    7. 06-29-2020 06:20 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
      The GLI has already been beat with the ugly stick, so I’m not surprised
      I dunno. They have grown on me a lot, specially with some springs:

      Pics can be found in this thread > https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...prings-for-GLI










    8. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      22,790
      Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha, 87 Jetta 2DR
      06-29-2020 07:16 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      For free! That would be the only way they could move them at meaningful volume
      I bet they could sell as many R variants as they do regular R's.

    9. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      22,790
      Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha, 87 Jetta 2DR
      06-29-2020 07:17 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I dunno. They have grown on me a lot, specially with some springs:
      I agree - a 1.5-2" drop makes a world of difference.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 22nd, 2005
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      2,744
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Bolt, 2012 E93 BMW M3
      06-29-2020 07:19 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Nateblizzy View Post
      I love the subtlety of the Golf R and balance of daily drivability with performance. Track times be are impressive on paper and for the cool factor but not really translated well on the streets. A $700 tune would also take care of any "lack of performance". So if I have to have one car to do it all for around $40K, it would be the Golf R.

      What I care about slightly more than performance is interior quality and that is where the Golf R stands apart from the rest of the market along with its subtlety. The CTR offers amazing performance, there's no doubt about that. But I think I would feel a little ridiculous driving it around town as a daily, as with the Focus RS. And their interiors are cheaper feeling and ride quality less comfortable. Track times be damned.

      As far as I know, I don't think there is a RWD or AWD performance hatch/wagon, that can fit two bikes in the back, with as nice of an interior as a Golf R for around $40K. The only contenders stateside that I know of are the E63S Wagon and RS6 Avant, both of which would obviously blow the Golf R away in all aspects... but they're also $70K+ more expensive. So if you look at it that way, the Golf R is the luxury performance hatch bargain of the decade
      A real Luxury GT ™ if you will.

      Not that much luxury, not that much performance, not that much hatch.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2008
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      462
      Vehicles
      ATS, Type-R
      06-29-2020 07:27 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Nateblizzy View Post
      I love the subtlety of the Golf R and balance of daily drivability with performance. Track times be are impressive on paper and for the cool factor but not really translated well on the streets. A $700 tune would also take care of any "lack of performance". So if I have to have one car to do it all for around $40K, it would be the Golf R.

      What I care about slightly more than performance is interior quality and that is where the Golf R stands apart from the rest of the market along with its subtlety. The CTR offers amazing performance, there's no doubt about that. But I think I would feel a little ridiculous driving it around town as a daily, as with the Focus RS. And their interiors are cheaper feeling and ride quality less comfortable. Track times be damned.

      As far as I know, I don't think there is a RWD or AWD performance hatch/wagon, that can fit two bikes in the back, with as nice of an interior as a Golf R for around $40K. The only contenders stateside that I know of are the E63S Wagon and RS6 Avant, both of which would obviously blow the Golf R away in all aspects... but they're also $70K+ more expensive. So if you look at it that way, the Golf R is the luxury performance hatch bargain of the decade
      You've clearly never been in a CTR if you're complaining about it's ride quality and it's about a foot longer than the Golf R making it that much more practical. The Civic interior isn't as nice, but its certainly not a penalty box and the Golf 8 really hasn't pushed the needle forward.

      A turbo Mazda 3 could be tempting if the rumors hold true.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      4,024
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-29-2020 07:28 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      I'm surprised how many hatch owners don't like how the wagon looks like, but considering how many don't, I'd guess they'd sell about a dozen to the weird people like me who actually like the wagon over the hatch.

      I would have preferred a 3 door hatch and wagon instead of (now) only getting the 5 door going forward.
      Yeah, I mean I love wagons, but not because of how they look. I love hatchbacks, and that is partially because of how they look. I'd say it's something about looking sporty but I don't think that's it, I can't really explain it.

    13. Member gruppe-b's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 5th, 2008
      Location
      Philly 'burbs,Pa
      Posts
      2,048
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      06-29-2020 08:09 PM #112
      Have never test driven or been in one before.IMO,they do seem a bit overpriced.The weak clutch issue would definitely worry me if I were to buy one.They are quite nice looking,though
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Fifteen52 Chicanes w/ Conti DWS tires.Powerflex+Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads w/StopTech drilled discs.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2008
      Location
      Minneapolis
      Posts
      1,952
      Vehicles
      1995 M3
      06-29-2020 08:22 PM #113
      TCL had similar discussions way back when the Mk6 R arrived in North America. I feel like folks still haven't wrapped their brains around the idea that, despite using the letter 'R', the Golf R is not meant to be an STI/Evo/Type R competitor. VW has actually said it's for European customers who outgrow their GTIs but want to stay with the brand. They're a bit older, have more disposable cash, and want a car that does everything the GTI does but with more luxury and autobahn capability. Stock-for-stock, it's really more of a Super GTI.

      Of course if you want to tune for power, the R obviously has more potential.

      Quote Originally Posted by Nateblizzy View Post
      As far as I know, I don't think there is a RWD or AWD performance hatch/wagon, that can fit two bikes in the back, with as nice of an interior as a Golf R for around $40K. The only contenders stateside that I know of are the E63S Wagon and RS6 Avant, both of which would obviously blow the Golf R away in all aspects... but they're also $70K+ more expensive. So if you look at it that way, the Golf R is the luxury performance hatch bargain of the decade

    15. 06-29-2020 08:49 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Yeah, I mean I love wagons, but not because of how they look. I love hatchbacks, and that is partially because of how they look. I'd say it's something about looking sporty but I don't think that's it, I can't really explain it.
      I think the hatches look pretty weird now that I'm used to the wagon. It looks like something is missing.

    16. Member Atl-Atl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      7,565
      Vehicles
      2018 Texas Dirt Taco 1978 Chebby Blazer
      06-29-2020 08:50 PM #115
      This thread is really making me miss my Alltrack, and all my other past VWs for that matter. Now that the Alltrack SEL is available with a manual it would be really hard to choose between that and a Golf R. Esp since you can slap an IS38 on the Alltrack for about $1500. A little low goes a looong way on an Alltrack too...


    17. 06-29-2020 08:58 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      This thread is really making me miss my Alltrack, and all my other past VWs for that matter. Now that the Alltrack SEL is available with a manual it would be really hard to choose between that and a Golf R. Esp since you can slap an IS38 on the Alltrack for about $1500. A little low goes a looong way on an Alltrack too...

      [IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/911/41507091541_23768e11e9_b.jpg[IMG]
      Alltrack/Golf Sportwagen were only available till 2019. Plus, the failure rate on the pano roof is so high I'd avoid the SEL all together and just get the S.

      My roommate has an Alltrack S and I kind of regret not getting an Alltrack over the GSW. His looks so good lowered on aggressive wheels. I just opted for the GSW over the Alltrack as I didn't want the pleather seats and plastic cladding at the time (had a Crosstrek before and was kind of tired of the black plastic look).

    18. 06-29-2020 09:35 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      Alltrack/Golf Sportwagen were only available till 2019. Plus, the failure rate on the pano roof is so high I'd avoid the SEL all together and just get the S..
      Truth! Save money and weight too. Finding a manual S was never an easy proposition though. They probably only made one for every hundred autos.

    19. Member Lujess's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2011
      Location
      New England, USA European Refugee
      Posts
      1,099
      Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr, '18 4Runner
      06-29-2020 10:04 PM #118
      More like the most understated

      As stated, it is not the best at any one thing....but it does seem to be the highest common denominator if you are looking for:

      - Performance oriented
      - AWD
      - hatch
      - no goofy boy-racer fins
      - great leg room
      - no over-styled red/orange racy lines
      - not a Hyundai
      - no red logos
      - comfortable/classy interior
      - perfect if you don't want a luxury marque
      - Sleeper on various fronts - non car people think it's a Golf, brand conscious people just see a VW.

      Main downside FOR ME in almost 8 years of ownership has been the gas mileage.
      ______________________________

      2013 4 Door Golf R - CSG

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 22nd, 2005
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      2,744
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Bolt, 2012 E93 BMW M3
      06-30-2020 12:04 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Lujess View Post
      More like the most understated

      As stated, it is not the best at any one thing....but it does seem to be the highest common denominator if you are looking for:

      - Performance oriented
      - AWD
      - hatch
      - no goofy boy-racer fins
      - great leg room
      - no over-styled red/orange racy lines
      - not a Hyundai
      - no red logos
      - comfortable/classy interior
      - perfect if you don't want a luxury marque
      - Sleeper on various fronts - non car people think it's a Golf, brand conscious people just see a VW.

      Main downside FOR ME in almost 8 years of ownership has been the gas mileage.
      Quote the narrow path to hit.

      Understated in looks, yet not that great a performer, so not really a sleeper per se.

      Interior not any better than a GTI, yet priced 25% higher for the AWD, but loses the trick LSD. So a bit of a wash.

      It is really just for a very narrow niche of people looking for a very specific cr, vs say the GTI which can cover a far wider swath of the car buying public since its price range is $25-35k dollars. So it can a cheap fun fwd hatch, or a loaded hatch or anything in between.

    21. Member Atl-Atl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      7,565
      Vehicles
      2018 Texas Dirt Taco 1978 Chebby Blazer
      06-30-2020 12:49 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      Alltrack/Golf Sportwagen were only available till 2019. Plus, the failure rate on the pano roof is so high I'd avoid the SEL all together and just get the S.

      My roommate has an Alltrack S and I kind of regret not getting an Alltrack over the GSW. His looks so good lowered on aggressive wheels. I just opted for the GSW over the Alltrack as I didn't want the pleather seats and plastic cladding at the time (had a Crosstrek before and was kind of tired of the black plastic look).

      They are still available new on dealer lots so it counts. Plus the SEL is significantly more than just "pleather seats and plastic cladding" it has better lights, better wheels, navigation, parking sensors, driver assistance package standard and significantly better seats. The seats alone are worth stepping up to an SEL. Ive had 6 VWs and 2 Audis with sunroofs and not a single one had issues. I chalk the leaky sunroofs up to being "squeaky wheel gets the grease" type of enthusiast forum BS.

    22. 06-30-2020 01:01 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      They are still available new on dealer lots so it counts. Plus the SEL is significantly more than just "pleather seats and plastic cladding" it has better lights, better wheels, navigation, parking sensors, driver assistance package standard and significantly better seats. The seats alone are worth stepping up to an SEL. Ive had 6 VWs and 2 Audis with sunroofs and not a single one had issues. I chalk the leaky sunroofs up to being "squeaky wheel gets the grease" type of enthusiast forum BS.
      I was saying the difference between a GSW S and an Alltrack S is fake leather seats, fake driving modes, and some LED mood lighting in the door cards. Obviously the SEL has a lot more stuff but it's also much more expensive than the S models.

      (And yes, the SEL seats are amazing).

    23. 06-30-2020 01:02 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducman69 View Post
      Truth! Save money and weight too. Finding a manual S was never an easy proposition though. They probably only made one for every hundred autos.
      Trying to find an S with a manual in Great Falls Green + Marrakesh brown interior was basically impossible. I think my roommate and I found one but it was spoken for basically immediately.

    24. Member Ttone74's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 7th, 2015
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      1,829
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R, 2018 Passat GT & 2015 Audi A4 Sline
      06-30-2020 04:50 AM #123
      The R is not great at anything and it’s is not bad at anything. It just does everything well. It’s for a certain type of person. They know what they have, and most do not
      RIP: 1989 Mercury Tracer 5 speed 3 dr hatchback, 1995 VW Jetta GL 6 speed, 1997 Jetta GLS 5 Speed, 1999 Ford Escort Wagon, 1998 Mercury Sable Wagon, 2011 Audi A4, 2012 Ford Focus SEL, 2013 Jetta 2.5 SEL w/ Navigation, Twin Reflex Silver Metallic 2015 GLI's (SEL & SE)

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      6,560
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      06-30-2020 07:21 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      For free! That would be the only way they could move them at meaningful volume
      I bet they could sell as many R variants as they do regular R's.
      You may be right. The R hatch probably outsold the regular Golf towards the end
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

    26. Member chois's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 12th, 2000
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      5,247
      06-30-2020 08:25 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      all seasons vs summer tires... its a big difference... also VIR is a very tight twisty track.
      What?
      VIR is one of the most wide open tracks I've raced.
      I mean it's not Road America, but neither is anything else.
      There is some technical from T1-5, then wide open up the hill unitl Oak Tree, then loooooonnnnnngggg straight to a few technical turns and back on the front straight.
      3 long high speed sections.
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp / 1986 Golf Custom
      2019 DT Ram 5.7 16V / 2005 E-450 motor home 6.8 20V
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

    Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.