VWVortex.com - Jetta MKV airbag light - Seat wiring repair?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta MKV airbag light - Seat wiring repair?

1. 06-29-2020 09:23 AM #1
      Brought Jetta to dealership for other stuff anyways the airbag light was on. According to their notes it is "Needs driver seat wiring repair"

I looked and wires seem ok , just didnt know if anyone could provide better feedback?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      06-29-2020 12:24 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
      Brought Jetta to dealership for other stuff anyways the airbag light was on. According to their notes it is "Needs driver seat wiring repair"

I looked and wires seem ok , just didnt know if anyone could provide better feedback?
      Year of car? Did they give you any more info besides what you posted like trouble code number/s? If not you will need to have it scanned again and get the code/s.

4. 06-29-2020 12:30 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI's View Post
      Year of car? Did they give you any more info besides what you posted like trouble code number/s? If not you will need to have it scanned again and get the code/s.
      2005 jetta no info besides on the ticket/bill. I have no trouble code numbers, my code reader wont pick it up.

I hope not to scan again as dealer is 100 miles away.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      06-29-2020 12:45 PM #4
      Ok, so to confirm this is a MK5 and not a '05 MK4. If MK5 it might be "Igniter For Side Airbag Upper Limit Exceeded" but without a scan no way to tell. The dealer of course knows what the code was seeing they scanned it, you could try and talk with the service tech and see if they remember or printed it out somewhere else. If not you need to find someone with a scan tool that can get the code/s for Airbags and go from there.

7. 06-29-2020 12:52 PM #5
      Ok, so to confirm this is a MK5 and not a '05 MK4. If MK5 it might be "Igniter For Side Airbag Upper Limit Exceeded" but without a scan no way to tell. The dealer of course knows what the code was seeing they scanned it, you could try and talk with the service tech and see if they remember or printed it out somewhere else. If not you need to find someone with a scan tool that can get the code/s for Airbags and go from there.

Ok im bringing into shop Thursday to do have them drain and replace tranny fluid since I think its low, I'll see if mom and pop shop can scan and get code.

8. Member
      06-29-2020 01:11 PM #6
      Ok im bringing into shop Thursday to do have them drain and replace tranny fluid since I think its low, I'll see if mom and pop shop can scan and get code.
      These might be the codes that you have after you get the scan

01217 Igniter For Side Airbag, Drivers Side –N199– Upper Limit Exceeded
      01218 Igniter For Side Airbag, Passenger Side –N200– Upper Limit Exceeded

And a link to Pdf that explains repair work needed http://nateronline.com/Technical_Bul...1217_01218.pdf

You will also find DIY here on Vortex and on net how to complete repairs.

9. 06-29-2020 01:33 PM #7
      These might be the codes that you have after you get the scan

01217 Igniter For Side Airbag, Drivers Side –N199– Upper Limit Exceeded
      01218 Igniter For Side Airbag, Passenger Side –N200– Upper Limit Exceeded

And a link to Pdf that explains repair work needed http://nateronline.com/Technical_Bul...1217_01218.pdf

You will also find DIY here on Vortex and on net how to complete repairs.
      They did say drivers side seat
      "airbag light-inspect and advise, casued by Needs driver seat wiring repair" Thats all it says on work form.

Vehicles
      2006 MkV Jetta. 2008 MkV GT Sport
      06-29-2020 06:43 PM #8
      They did say drivers side seat
      "airbag light-inspect and advise, casued by Needs driver seat wiring repair" Thats all it says on work form.
      This is a very common problem with Mk5's.

The yellow air bag connector located on the bottom of the driver seat had poor electrical conductivity and is causing the air bag monitoring system to alarm.

Remove the yellow air bag connector and directly connect the wiring with butt splices as per the TSB (Personally, I would solder the connections, I HATE butt splices).

DO NOT FORGET to disconnect the battery first. You will need to remove the drivers seat (or at the least, tip it back against the rear seat) to access the wiring.

After the repair, you will need a scan tool to reset the air bag light.

Should take 30-40 minutes to complete the job.
      2006 2.5 GLI Sedan & 2008 GT Sport: OEM GLI body kit, TipTronic paddles, GLI steering wheel, Power/Memory Seat, Premium Leather/heated interior, Sunroof, HomeLink, Rain/Light Sensor, Rain Closing, Highline MFD, Smoked side markers, Alloy Wheels, LED Taillights, Rear Window Sun Shade, Android GPS Headunit, Auto Headlights, Power Recline Passenger Seat, Euro trunk deck release, Spice Red & Blue Graphite Pearl

11. 06-29-2020 09:13 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jkmboler View Post

The yellow air bag connector located on the bottom of the driver seat had poor electrical conductivity and is causing the air bag monitoring system to alarm.

Remove the yellow air bag connector and directly connect the wiring with butt splices as per the TSB (Personally, I would solder the connections, I HATE butt splices).

DO NOT FORGET to disconnect the battery first. You will need to remove the drivers seat (or at the least, tip it back against the rear seat) to access the wiring.

Awesome thank you!

12. 06-29-2020 09:21 PM #10

Which one is it?

https://imgur.com/rTMNHZm

13. Member
      06-29-2020 09:45 PM #11
      Did you actual read the TB??

14. 06-29-2020 09:47 PM #12
      Did you actual read the TB??
      Yes, but images black and white, I see T3aa connector.
      I will research more sorry

Vehicles
      2006 MkV Jetta. 2008 MkV GT Sport
      06-29-2020 10:08 PM #13
      Which one is it?

https://imgur.com/rTMNHZm
      NO , not the wiring connectors that plug into the floor connector. You need to disconnect all of the connectors in your photo to remove or tilt the seat.

The connector you need to remove and bypass the wiring is on the underside of the seat pan. Air bag connectors are yellow. There is only one air bag in the seat (side air bag) so only one yellow connector under the seat.
      2006 2.5 GLI Sedan & 2008 GT Sport: OEM GLI body kit, TipTronic paddles, GLI steering wheel, Power/Memory Seat, Premium Leather/heated interior, Sunroof, HomeLink, Rain/Light Sensor, Rain Closing, Highline MFD, Smoked side markers, Alloy Wheels, LED Taillights, Rear Window Sun Shade, Android GPS Headunit, Auto Headlights, Power Recline Passenger Seat, Euro trunk deck release, Spice Red & Blue Graphite Pearl

16. 06-29-2020 10:10 PM #14
      NO , not the wiring connectors that plug into the floor connector. You need to disconnect all of the connectors in your photo to remove or tilt the seat.

The connector you need to remove and bypass the wiring is on the underside of the seat pan. Air bag connectors are yellow. There is only one air bag in the seat (side air bag) so only one yellow connector under the seat.
      I went and looked again, I see it on the rear of the seat, on the actual seat. Of coarse I thought this one on the floor.

I will remove seat and try to fix this tomorrow, Thank you for your help!

17. 06-30-2020 01:20 PM #15
      The one on rear of seat was the seat belt connector, that said, I think the airbag fix under seat has been fixed, i will need to get codes

18. Member
      06-30-2020 02:14 PM #16
      The one on rear of seat was the seat belt connector, that said, I think the airbag fix under seat has been fixed, i will need to get codes
      That would be a good idea although it still might be the repair that they made earlier causing the issue, a good scan will tell.