Nice project. I miss mine.

PSN: ehamptuna

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      06-30-2020 03:20 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I can't tell if it is MK2 or mouse piss yet, but there is plenty of it. Pretty sure I brought some mice home in it because I already see signs in the garage that I haven't seen since last Fall.

Yes that is my plan once I finish tackling the interior. What is the best course in emptying a gas tank anyway? I don't have a clue how much is in it.

I'm assuming if I buy a battery and hook it up that turning the key would cycle the fuel pump so best to avoid doing that unless I remove the fuel inlet correct?
      ^ LOL, you probably brought a few along with you!

To empty the tank, I'd suggest going in from the top where the pump drops in. In my Golf it was accessible from the hatch area. Remove the black circle plate and you'll see it. Disconnect the fuel lines and then with a screwdriver and hammer you can carefully unscrew the top plate. Spraying it with some PB blaster for a day or two beforehand will help. Getting the pump out will let you drop in a siphon pump (the cheap Harbor Freight one works fine) and you can suck nearly all the gas out that way. You'll also get to inspect the in-tank lift pump and fuel level sensor, so it's a good process to do this anyway.

To your other question: Yes, putting in a battery and turning the key will cycle the pump to prime the system. I forget if just turning it to "on" will do this, or if you actually need to crank the engine to run the pump. Alternatively, you can go under the dash and jump the fuel pump relay manually.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha, 87 Jetta 2DR
      06-30-2020 03:23 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by erikatwork View Post
      Nice project. I miss mine.
      Very nice. Can't tell - what wheels are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post

To empty the tank, I'd suggest going in from the top where the pump drops in. In my Golf it was accessible from the hatch area. Remove the black circle plate and you'll see it. Disconnect the fuel lines and then with a screwdriver and hammer you can carefully unscrew the top plate. Spraying it with some PB blaster for a day or two beforehand will help. Getting the pump out will let you drop in a siphon pump (the cheap Harbor Freight one works fine) and you can suck nearly all the gas out that way. You'll also get to inspect the in-tank lift pump and fuel level sensor, so it's a good process to do this anyway.

To your other question: Yes, putting in a battery and turning the key will cycle the pump to prime the system. I forget if just turning it to "on" will do this, or if you actually need to crank the engine to run the pump. Alternatively, you can go under the dash and jump the fuel pump relay manually.
      In our '88 Cabby turning the key on starts the pump. Good info thanks. You guys have me more and more curious now if it will run.

Also - is it best to also drain/flush all of the other fluids before the first attempt at starting? The oil reads full on the dipstick and is light in color. How well will cool oil drain if I can't run it a while first. Coolant overflow looks to be low.

Vehicles
      06-30-2020 03:25 PM #54
      I was in the garage late and I'm almost confident I saw one run from under my tool bench and under the Jetta. Might have just been high on the fumes though.

Vehicles
      06-30-2020 03:26 PM #55
      Speaking of wheels I do have these lying around still.

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-30-2020 03:28 PM #56
      I'm pretty sure the "run" position will cycle the fuel pump. You could disconnect the pump/pull the relay to check out and work the rest of the electrical system, though.

I would definitely drain the tank, disconnect the front/back of each part of the fuel line, blow the lines out, clean the tank, flush the fuel distributor (if that's possible) and disconnect the fuel injectors/hoses before I even thought about going further. There are some diesel shops that rebuild injectors and they may be able to tackle those if new ones aren't available, though you may be able to backflush them if they grungy. I'm sure some CIS guys would know better than I, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      06-30-2020 04:32 PM #57
      When I drained the tank in the Mk2 after thinking my no-start was due to bad fuel (it wasn't) I just pulled the FP relay and jumped the pins (on a CE2 fusebox it's 2 & 4, not sure what it'll be on your CE1 Jetta) and ran the fuel pumps until empty.

Might be a good idea to drain the tank, fill it with fresh fuel, then put maybe 1/4 gallon through to flush the first set of lines, then change the fuel filter, put another 1/4 gallon through to flush the lines again, then see if it will start. If it doesn't, you'll know to start at the fuel accumulator and work downstream, knowing that everything upstream of the fuel accumulator is working.

Looking back on the thread, seeing it's been parked for 2 years, it might still be OK depending on the integrity of the fuel system and how tight it is. When I bought my '08 Outback, it had been sitting for about a year and a half with I think ~1/4 tank of gas. On first fire, it struggled to life a little bit, but no misfires and it cleared itself after running for a couple minutes. One of the first things I did was fill the tank the rest of the way and let it burn through - oh, and carried plenty of oil since it was leaking from the head gasket pretty good.

With a project car, I'd drain the tank per above, and put ~5 gallons of fresh stuff in there - with stabilizer, in case the project goes sideways on you!

9. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      06-30-2020 05:19 PM #58
      Really excited to see how this turns out. I miss my ‘85 Jetta 4 door and can still imagine the smell too!

Vehicles
      MK7.5 GTI • Audi B7 S4
      06-30-2020 05:57 PM #59
      Great find!

Vehicles
      06-30-2020 06:11 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      lots of good info
      Thanks for that - very helpful and the process I will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Really excited to see how this turns out. I miss my ‘85 Jetta 4 door and can still imagine the smell too!
      Me too! haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Fastvolks View Post
      Great find!
      Thanks!

Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      06-30-2020 06:20 PM #61
      Congrats!

I had a buddy that could do an engine swap in a weekend and drive to work on Monday. I wish I had half that kind of mechanical skill, but the reality is I don't. I'm just going to try to punch in my weight class on this one.
      It's a lot easier when you're younger and have no choice.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      06-30-2020 07:02 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      LOL! Even if it's not easier it's certainly more possible. I know I've had a few slightly panicked Sunday mornings with parts all over the place. I don't miss that feeling.

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28, '86 3.2 Carrera, '15 Touareg TDI & '05 LGT Wagon
      06-30-2020 07:45 PM #63
      In for this one.

I don't know what it is about Mk2's, but it seems so many of us that had them genuinely miss them. It is hands down one of my favorites I've owned over the years. I sometimes think about getting another, but partially worry that it may not live up to the memories I have. Maybe sometime in the future I will track down a clean example.

I'll definitely be watching this one.
      1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      07-01-2020 12:05 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by 91gti20v View Post
      I don't know what it is about Mk2's, but it seems so many of us that had them genuinely miss them. It is hands down one of my favorites I've owned over the years. I sometimes think about getting another, but partially worry that it may not live up to the memories I have. Maybe sometime in the future I will track down a clean example...
      I spent my early 20's hopping between 4-5 Mk2's with a couple other chassis for good measure. For me, they're directly associated with my first steps into the freedom (and occasional responsibility) of young-adulthood. I regret never having really created a "great" Mk2 for myself, and even tried once or twice over the years but failed for various reasons... About a year ago someone generously gave me a shabby but solid base trim Golf. I tried so hard to see it as the perfect "clean slate" Mk2, but all the work it needed just felt like a burden that I wasn't up for anymore... Honestly, if it were a Jetta I probably would have stuck with it.

You mention finding a clean example someday, and that's probably the best way to go to get back into the driving experience we know and love...

Vehicles
      07-01-2020 05:27 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Congrats!

And no kids or real responsibilities. Thanks.

In for this one.

I don't know what it is about Mk2's, but it seems so many of us that had them genuinely miss them. It is hands down one of my favorites I've owned over the years. I sometimes think about getting another, but partially worry that it may not live up to the memories I have. Maybe sometime in the future I will track down a clean example.

I'll definitely be watching this one.
      For me driving a MK2 has never let me down in that regard. Sitting behind that familiar dash, smelling that nostalgic unique scent, and the general driving experience takes me back to those simpler days when I would spend a day a week cleaning and detailing my old cars.

I spent my early 20's hopping between 4-5 Mk2's with a couple other chassis for good measure. For me, they're directly associated with my first steps into the freedom (and occasional responsibility) of young-adulthood. I regret never having really created a "great" Mk2 for myself, and even tried once or twice over the years but failed for various reasons...
      I've done the same. I've had some really nice examples go through my hands over the years and regret letting many of them go. I was afraid to dig in too far and end up with a non runner in my garage for years. The nice thing about this one is that I got it cheap, and there is nothing I can do at this point but make improvements. I also have plenty of other fun, running/driving cars as back up so there is also no rush to do anything.

Vehicles
      '87 Porsche 944S, '87 Audi 80 1.9E, '10 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost
      07-01-2020 05:49 AM #66
      Speaking of wheels I do have these lying around still.

Oh boy, this is going to be GOOD.
      '87 Porsche 944S - make flip up lights great again!
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E
      '10 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost
      Instagram: @bastienbochmann

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      07-01-2020 07:49 AM #67
      Very glad this is not in the scrapper and instead getting some love.

I've never driven any MK2 VW variant, I've heard nothing but good things. They seem to be sturdy cars, much like 80s MB's.

Vehicles
      GTI
      07-01-2020 09:50 AM #68
      What is the best course in emptying a gas tank anyway? I don't have a clue how much is in it.

I'm assuming if I buy a battery and hook it up that turning the key would cycle the fuel pump so best to avoid doing that unless I remove the fuel inlet correct?
      Don't empty it using the fuel pump. Drop the tank and have 2 5 gallon gas cans around to empty the rotten gas into and then find someplace to dispose of it properly.

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      07-01-2020 10:12 AM #69
      100% in on this thread. I had a couple mk2 coupes. Had a black, '87 wolfsburg edition coupe (same p-slots and everything as this one) that I did a 16v swap on. After that, I picked up a '90 coupe that got a vr6 swap. I put a lot of miles on that '90. It was a great car. Sold it almost 10 years ago now.

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28, '86 3.2 Carrera, '15 Touareg TDI & '05 LGT Wagon
      07-01-2020 11:06 AM #70
      Thanks to this thread, I am perusing Mobile.de for cars to bring over... Thanks OP

1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

Vehicles
      07-01-2020 12:57 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      Don't empty it using the fuel pump. Drop the tank and have 2 5 gallon gas cans around to empty the rotten gas into and then find someplace to dispose of it properly.
      Still weighing options, but that is another suggestion I have heard. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      100% in on this thread. I had a couple mk2 coupes. Had a black, '87 wolfsburg edition coupe (same p-slots and everything as this one) that I did a 16v swap on. After that, I picked up a '90 coupe that got a vr6 swap. I put a lot of miles on that '90. It was a great car. Sold it almost 10 years ago now.
      Nice - love the steelies.

Thanks to this thread, I am perusing Mobile.de for cars to bring over... Thanks OP

Vehicles
      07-01-2020 02:13 PM #72
      Minor (very) Update -

Last night I removed the deck lid spoiler and found about what I expected. Removed it in preparation to roll the old girl out and give a wash.

Looks like it has been on for 33 years.

The drivers rear tire was flat when I looked at the car. I bought a 60V DeWalt compressor for the trip to get the car and it has already been worth it's weight. By the time we got the car home it was almost flat again. Filled it to get off the trailer and flat again that night in the garage.

So I filled up the space saver spare to make it a roller again and had a "good news/bad news" moment when I took off the wheel.

The good news is there are 4 discs on this car when I was expecting rear drums.

The bad news is it is crusty as hell everywhere from brake to suspension to everything.

Also had a confirmed mouse sighting so it's war now. The first time I was slightly buzzed and thought it could be a shadow from my LED lighting - today I was definitely sober when one ran right by me. Put out some traps and we shall see. The last thing I needed was to introduce even more rodents to the farm.

Golf is still pissed to be outside and I bought some casters today in hopes I can squeeze four cars into my three car garage for a while.

24. Junior Member
      07-01-2020 02:30 PM #73
      One of my favorite MKII special editions.

I've owned my '87 Wolfsburg for six years now.

Keep up the good work.

25. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      07-01-2020 02:31 PM #74
      Also had a confirmed mouse sighting so it's war now. The first time I was slightly buzzed and thought it could be a shadow from my LED lighting - today I was definitely sober when one ran right by me. Put out some traps and we shall see.
      Yesterday I checked the mouse traps (glue) around the house. Hidden in a corner, on one of the trap all that was left was a mouse skeleton and a big puff of mouse hair.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      07-01-2020 02:59 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by oldschool_user View Post
      One of my favorite MKII special editions.

I've owned my '87 Wolfsburg for six years now.

Keep up the good work.
      That's some motivation right there. Might be my new screen saver. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      Yesterday I checked the mouse traps (glue) around the house. Hidden in a corner, on one of the trap all that was left was a mouse skeleton and a big puff of mouse hair.
      I despise mice. Around the house and barn our two cats keep them in check, but they aren't allowed in the garage because they like climbing on and scratching cars.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast