VWVortex.com - Dealer says I need new rotors and pads (24,000 miles)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Dealer says I need new rotors and pads (24,000 miles)

1. 06-29-2020 01:28 PM #1
      Hi all,

Recently started to hear a squeal when braking at low speed (coming to a stop). I thought the noise was coming from the rear, so I checked the rear rotors and pads and rotors looked fine.
      Just got back from the dealer and they said the front rotors have developed grooves, and the driver side (outside) pad is worn down more than the inside. I questioned if calipers were working correctly, they said calipers were fine and just pads and rotors needed replacing.

After getting quoted $600+ CAD for rotors and pads, because apparently it's not covered under warranty, I told them to put the wheels back on and left.

Has anyone else had to have rotors and pads replaced with such low mileage?

2018 GTI Autobahn
      24,000 miles
      no shaking/pulsing while braking
      squeals at low speed stopping/feathering brakes

It's a lease and I don't plan to keep the car, so just looking for opinions on what I should be doing at this point.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-29-2020 01:37 PM #2
      Rotors in general are garbage. My 19R has 6000 miles on it currently , they've been warped since 3000. So don't be surprised at 24k . I've been contemplating changing my brakes anyway due to the nasty dusty brake pads . The entire job ( pads rotors front/rear - parts alone around $500-ish U.S. doing the job myself.... So , is the $600 just for front pads and rotors ? If so , that's a rip. Go 2nd party.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      06-29-2020 01:38 PM #3
      Most likely your stealership is full of crap. Replacing brake rotor and pads is a easy harmless way to drum up business for stealership.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 White GTI Sport 6MT
      06-29-2020 01:39 PM #4
      I have 80.5k miles on a 2017 PP and have had slight brake squeal rarely after rain. Aside from that I'm still on original ceramic pads and rotors and they look great. Either you abuse your brakes or you're being taken for a ride.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2017 White GTI Sport 6MT
      06-29-2020 01:41 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Gordyzero View Post
      Rotors in general are garbage. My 19R has 6000 miles on it currently , they've been warped since 3000. So don't be surprised at 24k . I've been contemplating changing my brakes anyway due to the nasty dusty brake pads . The entire job ( pads rotors front/rear - parts alone around $500-ish U.S. doing the job myself.... So , is the $600 just for front pads and rotors ? If so , that's a rip. Go 2nd party.

Warping at 3k means you're ripping the **** out of your brakes. I hope it's not your daily.

8. 06-29-2020 01:48 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselmilk View Post
      Warping at 3k means you're ripping the **** out of your brakes. I hope it's not your daily.

I think it was more to do with the car sat for 5 months outside , it was the last R in my state. I waited it out playing tht price game with the jerk off dealership. - and I won. Cost me a brake job by the looks of things. I don't care. Those brake pads got to go. And no. Not my daily. It sits in a garage , I have a 99 Corolla to ruin

Vehicles
      2017 White GTI Sport 6MT
      06-29-2020 01:54 PM #7
      I think it was more to do with the car sat for 5 months outside , it was the last R in my state. I waited it out playing tht price game with the jerk off dealership. - and I won. Cost me a brake job by the looks of things. I don't care. Those brake pads got to go. And no. Not my daily. It sits in a garage , I have a 99 Corolla to ruin

Fair enough

Vehicles
      GTI
      06-29-2020 02:08 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Hi all,

Recently started to hear a squeal when braking at low speed (coming to a stop). I thought the noise was coming from the rear, so I checked the rear rotors and pads and rotors looked fine.
      Just got back from the dealer and they said the front rotors have developed grooves, and the driver side (outside) pad is worn down more than the inside. I questioned if calipers were working correctly, they said calipers were fine and just pads and rotors needed replacing.

After getting quoted $600+ CAD for rotors and pads, because apparently it's not covered under warranty, I told them to put the wheels back on and left.

2018 GTI Autobahn
      24,000 miles

It's a lease and I don't plan to keep the car, so just looking for opinions on what I should be doing at this point.

Thanks!
      Replace the brakes and move on. My fronts last for 50,000 miles. Way shorter than normal and I'm really gentle on them, but oh well.

Rotors in general are garbage. My 19R has 6000 miles on it currently , they've been warped since 3000.
      Brake rotors don't warp from use it's physically impossible for you to get your rotors hot enough to warp.

They will only warp when wheels are improperly torqued.
      More than likely your rotors are dealing with pad material deposits which can feel like the rotor is "warped" and can easily be fixed.

Did you ever check to see if your wheels were installed properly?

11. 06-29-2020 02:28 PM #9
      There has been a slow growing vibration , since day 1 noticable by 3,000 impossible to miss by 6000 miles. Car sat outside at the dealership for 5 months and was never driven. That's all it takes. We can split hairs on this topic all day. Point I'm making is. Ask anybody who works in cars. Rotors rust , the end . Buy new ones. But to your point. I'm not sure you can over torque today's rotors as easy as say the 80's rotors. But it's worth a double check. Thanks for mentioning it.

Vehicles
      GTI
      06-29-2020 04:03 PM #10
      There has been a slow growing vibration , since day 1 noticable by 3,000 impossible to miss by 6000 miles. Car sat outside at the dealership for 5 months and was never driven. That's all it takes. We can split hairs on this topic all day. Point I'm making is. Ask anybody who works in cars. Rotors rust , the end .
      Been working on cars professionally for over 30 years now. A car sitting outside will not warp rotors. Driving a car will not warp rotors.
      Like I said if anything it's deposits on the rotor from your brake pads. Or the wheels are improperly torqued when installed.

I'm not sure you can over torque today's rotors as easy as say the 80's rotors. But it's worth a double check. Thanks for mentioning it.
      Yup you can I've seen it done multiple times be inexperience apprentices and "shade tree" mechanics.

13. 06-29-2020 04:37 PM #11
      So maybe I shouldn't have said warped. So ,you have 3 decades of experience... What's your solution ?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      06-29-2020 04:43 PM #12
      So maybe I shouldn't have said warped. So ,you have 3 decades of experience... What's your solution ?

Vibration is usually cause of improper pad bedding or excessive run out. Clean the rotor mating surface on the wheel hub with a wire brush and lastly use a dial indicator to check to make sure there’s no excessive run out.

15. 06-29-2020 04:53 PM #13
      Good to know. But being a fleet mechanic myself , I can't tell the service manager let me spend 2 hours playing with this . Or I can throw it all out , bill someone & Solve the problem. That's how I deal with stuff. Your solution makes sense. It's just a throw away world. I'm the throw away guy. We deal with brake complaints all the time on cars that sit too long. Rotors rust , it causes us lots of headaches. Your approach is definitely the more sensible one. If you have the time on your hands.

16. 06-30-2020 06:42 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post
      . . . . Clean the rotor mating surface on the wheel hub with a wire brush and lastly use a dial indicator to check to make sure there’s no excessive run out.
      Beat me to it, word for word.

Stange99, this ^ solution only works if you are up for doing the work yourself. If you're not, you only practical option is to shop for a trustworthy Indy who will quote you a better cost. If your rotors are salvageable, I'd go with replacing the pads and call it a day. Ballpark: $125.00; half that if you can do the work.

Vehicles
      GTI
      06-30-2020 08:45 AM #15
      Good to know. But being a fleet mechanic myself , I can't tell the service manager let me spend 2 hours playing with this . Or I can throw it all out , bill someone & Solve the problem. That's how I deal with stuff. Your solution makes sense. It's just a throw away world. I'm the throw away guy. We deal with brake complaints all the time on cars that sit too long. Rotors rust , it causes us lots of headaches. Your approach is definitely the more sensible one. If you have the time on your hands.

You are a fleet mechanic and you can't take a wire brush to clean off the rotor surface? it's not hard. Takes minutes about 30 minutes a side.

18. 06-30-2020 09:45 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      You are a fleet mechanic and you can't take a wire brush to clean off the rotor surface? it's not hard. Takes minutes about 30 minutes a side.
      At work , I've tried the wire brush , yes I hate to admit it at times it's surprising how fast it gets result. Because I like new parts over fkkkn with something any day But most of the time . I just wasted an hour still have a problem. Now , for my car. Problem since day 1 . I'm throwing out the rotors , and changing the brake pad compound. I eventually do this on every Audi/VW I've owned. And I never have a problem again. Zimmerman rotors , akebono pads. And I don't touch the brakes the again until they wear out or I clean and grease the sliders.

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      06-30-2020 12:42 PM #17
      It might be a good idea to check on the details of your lease return process so that you don't get dinged for returning the car with excessive worn brakes.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf 1.8TSI
      07-01-2020 10:03 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Hi all,

2018 GTI Autobahn
      24,000 miles

Thanks!
      Had to replace my front rotors on my 2016 MK7 Golf at low mileage as well. It is not covered under warranty since it is considered wear item.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      07-01-2020 12:07 PM #19
      If you drive mostly city(and/or mostly stop and go driving), you're using the brakes more and they wear out in lower mileage.

Mostly high driving on the freeway with little traffic, mileage on brakes go up.

Try an independent VW shop, they should get you better prices with aftermarket parts

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter