VWVortex.com - I thought first Oil Change was at 10k? My dash alert is going off at around 2.5k
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I thought first Oil Change was at 10k? My dash alert is going off at around 2.5k

Vehicles
      2019 Golf R
      06-29-2020 06:24 PM #1
      I have a new 2019 Golf R. I thought the dealer had said that first oil change was at 10k miles. My dash is alerting to change it now and I think it came on around 2500 miles? Now I realize its a good idea to change the oil shortly after purchase, as it may have been sitting and can be some nasty oil, but I didn’t think it was an actual set service. ideas?
      2019 Golf R, Lapiz Blue, DSG
      Past: 2016 GTI Autobahn (PP, LP, DSG), 2010 GTI SE, 2003 20th Anniversary GTI #0393, 2000 Porsche 911

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-29-2020 06:27 PM #2
      It's just a timer. It's 10,000 miles or one year. Dump it every 5k . You'll be good.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. 06-29-2020 06:29 PM #3
      If your car is anything like my 19 R it sat somewhere for a while , once they're out of transport mode . The clock starts ticking as far as I've been told.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      06-29-2020 07:59 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Gordyzero View Post
      It's just a timer. It's 10,000 miles or one year. Dump it every 5k . You'll be good.

Dump it every 10K or a year and your good according to the oil analysis people have done. I do it at 7.5K since I drive about that much a year.

7. 06-29-2020 08:12 PM #5
      Ask any euro tech how they feel about 10k dump intervals. That's all I'll say . 5k oil changes are very cheap insurance.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Ginster Yellow 6MT Golf R
      06-29-2020 09:29 PM #6
      I received my "Maintenance Needed" dashboard notice even though I had the vehicle only 10 months and my mileage was only 2K miles. VW said they could adjust the warning to closer match my yearly ownership date but I said it was close enough and went ahead with my first annual oil change & checkup. AS others have said the "Maintenance Needed" isn't tied to your purchase date but you can have it adjusted by VW.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      GT3, Z71, TDI, CT70, Z50, Parlee, Boosted Board
      06-29-2020 09:45 PM #7
      Ask any euro tech how they feel about 10k dump intervals. That's all I'll say . 5k oil changes are very cheap insurance.

i trust vw engineers, oil engineers and oil analysis over any vw tech.

just sayin...

10. 06-29-2020 10:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Oreganoflow View Post

just sayin...
      Those same engineers made the timing chain design that came undone after numerous chain tensioner designs failed.. any tech will say , 10k oil changes contributes to the failure. But . Hey go ahead and ring up VW when your chain rattles of it's guides 30,000 miles out of warranty . I'm sure they'll fall over giving a ****.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R 6MT, '15 Touareg Exec TDI, 2011 GTI DSG
      06-29-2020 11:01 PM #9
      I’m a tech, and bought my 1st VW in 1987. I changed every oil in my ‘17 R @ 1500 miles. Engine oil was lightly silver, as was the 6MT oil. Rear/Haldex & bevel box looked new. 5k intervals for me.

2020 or not, any engine/drive component will initially shed some amount of metal, so why leave it there?

10k engine oil service intervals and non existent drivetrain oil services keep me in business, so maybe I should just be quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT, '19 Golf R 6MT, '15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
      06-30-2020 09:14 AM #10
      I did a break in oil change at 750 miles, than oil changes at 5000 and 10000 miles. I do oil changes every 5000 miles, never had an issue. Given how easy it is to do on this car, no reason not to...
      The DD : '19 Golf R, Indium, 6MT
      The Fun Ride : '03 Porsche 911 Turbo, 6MT

13. 06-30-2020 09:34 AM #11
      The 10,000 mile oil change interval is just some industry snake oil to keep the cost of ownership down. That's a very important metric. These same hand jobs at the dealership will tell you transmission / drive line component fluid is "life time " . All b.s.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Mk7.5 R DSG
      06-30-2020 11:15 AM #12
      OP, like was stated, your car probably sat around for a while before you took delivery, hence why it thinks it's already time to change. It's set to go off every year on the date the car was completed.

Not to intentionally throw oil on the fire here (loooool), but here's an analysis I had done after 1 year and 7000 miles on Mobil 1 Euro 0w40. I changed over to M1 from the factory oil after a year and 7000 miles. Seems like I could've easily went longer, based on the wear indications and additive amounts left. As long as you're not highly tuned and/or racing the car on the weekends, I see no need to change it any sooner than recommended. Granted, M1 is like 12 bucks for a 5 quart jug at Walmart if you catch it on sale when their rebates are running, so hey, why not.

15. 06-30-2020 11:45 AM #13
      Audi did same thing with 1.8t. Stated oil change at 15,000. Got sued for oil sludge problems. Changed to 10,000....then to 5000 couple years later.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...i-a4-vw-passat

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      06-30-2020 01:27 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by miktip View Post
      Audi did same thing with 1.8t. Stated oil change at 15,000. Got sued for oil sludge problems. Changed to 10,000....then to 5000 couple years later.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...i-a4-vw-passat
      Only held 3 quarts of oil too until they moved to the big kahuna oil filter to make it 3.5 qts. They also didn’t recommend synthetic and dino oil turbo turds caused most of the sludge.

17. 06-30-2020 03:04 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      Only held 3 quarts of oil too until they moved to the big kahuna oil filter to make it 3.5 qts. They also didn’t recommend synthetic and dino oil turbo turds caused most of the sludge.
      My 2004 Audi A4 1.8t held 4 quarts...Audi had the old soda can sized filter or the larger VW Diesel Filter as either an option... Audi only recommended synthetic on my A4...but blamed dealers putting in non synth as the root cause for the sludge. I thought it was odd...when I bought the A4 in 2004...oil change was 15,000. Oil Sludge...it dropped to 10,000. Then eventually 5000.

The E888 Gen 3 is a ULEV engine...maybe it can go the distance without contaminating the oil...

I change my oil as it turns black...approx 3000 miles...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      GT3, Z71, TDI, CT70, Z50, Parlee, Boosted Board
      06-30-2020 04:43 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
      I’m a tech, and bought my 1st VW in 1987. I changed every oil in my ‘17 R @ 1500 miles. Engine oil was lightly silver, as was the 6MT oil. Rear/Haldex & bevel box looked new. 5k intervals for me.

2020 or not, any engine/drive component will initially shed some amount of metal, so why leave it there?
      leave it where? the oil filter picks up any minute metal bits.

19. 06-30-2020 07:27 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post

10k engine oil service intervals and non existent drivetrain oil services keep me in business, so maybe I should just be quiet.

My point EXACTLY . Go ahead fellas , save $200 a year and when it all comes crashing down. It's only going to cost 5k or more to fix the murdered engine. Or maybe another 7k for the mechatronics and failed components in that dsg / haldex. German cars go to the crusher every day over dumb **** that started with a missed service.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      06-30-2020 09:08 PM #18
      The 1.8t was ulev. The casting of the cylinder had was the issue with EARLY(96-99) 1.8T engines. That has very little relevance here.

My oil reports every 10k on motul c3 5w40 are incredible. I'm at 50k and it's had a vibrant life.

My mk1 BT20v went 250k before I bright it down to 5k intervals. Still living at 500whp, same engine. But I switched from motul xpower 15w50 to 300v Lemans 20w60. 100+ degree track days and rev to 9k needs insurance.

Every car will be different, wasting money doing every 5k typically, but if you're barely driving it.....5k is ideal because you're getting higher concentration of moisture from sitting.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Vegeta Gti; 07-01-2020 at 01:05 PM.
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      06-30-2020 09:14 PM #19

just sayin...
      LOL, as an engineer in a more regulated field than automotive, there are a whole bunch of engineers that are complete **** at their jobs. Management will want to push an aggressive schedules and a lot engineers will try and make the situation work to those pressures instead of risking their jobs by pushing back. e.g.: Dieselgate.

So, yea, I put a great deal of faith in the people working in the field around the **** ups of the brain trust that probably have never worked on any car in their lives.

22. 06-30-2020 10:58 PM #20
      Bottom line is these cars (Audi/VW) aren't Toyota reliable. They've earned the terrible reputation they have by being the cash vampire , unreliable lumps of trouble they can be when cared for wrong. The trouble starts at the top . With such things as " lifetime" drive line fluids and 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Not to mention failed designs , bad parts and lack of awareness by the average consumer who buy these cars. If you buy one. You're commiting to throwing money at this sooner or later. It's what it is. German cars aren't a cheap date. If your going to own out of warranty - Double your service intervals. You may be surprised how much it is actually going to help you in the long term.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R 6MT, '15 Touareg Exec TDI, 2011 GTI DSG
      07-01-2020 08:25 AM #21
      leave it where? the oil filter picks up any minute metal bits.
      My initial change was slightly silver, from metal particles shed from break in. A filter cannot trap infinitely small particles, there is oil flow to consider. Filters are typically designed the trap particles larger than X (insert micron measurement here). If you are under the impression an oil filter will discriminately grab all metal particles while allowing unfettered oil flow, you are mistaken.

Vehicles
      GTI
      07-01-2020 09:30 AM #22
      Bottom line is these cars (Audi/VW) aren't Toyota reliable. They've earned the terrible reputation they have by being the cash vampire , unreliable lumps of trouble they can be when cared for wrong. The trouble starts at the top . With such things as " lifetime" drive line fluids and 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Not to mention failed designs , bad parts and lack of awareness by the average consumer who buy these cars. If you buy one. You're commiting to throwing money at this sooner or later. It's what it is. German cars aren't a cheap date. If your going to own out of warranty - Double your service intervals. You may be surprised how much it is actually going to help you in the long term.

So why did you buy one if you think they are such garbage?
      Why are you here?

Seems like a Toyota would have been perfect for you. Maybe a nice Prius.

As for the other discussion…
      Every time someone brings up the 10,000 mile oil change interval it's always the same thing. Some kooks in their tinfoil hate saying it's some conspiracy or that it's some planned obsolescence. And then time and time again there are oil studies shown, for the specific engine we are using, saying multiple times over and over that the oil could have even lasted longer and that there is normal wear in the engine from a 10,000 mile oil change.

So if the multiple oil studies from independent companies and engineers from VWAG and VWOA and the oil manufactures all say the same thing over and over that it's safe to do 10,000 mile oil change intervals why is there such a conspiracy and back and forth?

Bringing up engine technology from 10-20 years ago as examples of why you should change your oil at 3000 miles is apples and anvils. Tech changes and evolves. Especially with engines and oil.

If you want to waste your money changing your oil every time you drive 2 feet go ahead.
      If you want to change your oil every 2 weeks. Go ahead.
      If you want to follow the guidelines for oil changes from the manufacturer. Go ahead.
      In the end it's your car, your money. Do what you want.

25. 07-01-2020 11:04 AM #23
      I would quote whatever the last guy said . But who cares ? , after all it's an opinion forum , he made some solid points. I'm not alone in thinking 10k oil change intervals are a bit too long. Maybe I should drive my Prius off a cliff because some people on the vortex forum don't agree with me. I buy these cars because I've driven just about every new car on the road under $80,000 just about every model year for at least the last 15. In my job I'm lucky to have that access to a giant variety of cars. I just enjoy the way Audi/VW drive and look above all other brands in my price range . In my opinion every car is garbage from every manufacturer eventually. They all break.

26. 07-01-2020 02:23 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      The 1.8t was ulev. The casting of the cylinder had was the issue with EARLY(96-99) 1.8T engines. That has very little relevance here.

Only time will tell...

When the last time anyone here has left their oil in 10,000 miles and pulled the valve cover to see what 10,000 miles looks like on the inside...

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a19978...maged-engines/

Obviously VW though it was relevant to cover costs of it.

Volkswagen AG has agreed to pay maintenance costs under a proposed settlement in a class-action lawsuit over sludge-damaged engines in 479,768 VW and Audi models.

I hope history doesnt repeat itself.
      Last edited by miktip; 07-01-2020 at 02:29 PM.