VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Refreshed 2022 Tiguan revealed

Vehicles
      2019 Golf R, 2019 XC90 T6
      07-01-2020 01:12 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      They completely, COMPLETELY messed up the transmission/powertrain combo in the Mk2 Tiguan and it doesn't seem like they're going to fix that anytime soon. It's seriously downright frustrating to drive sometimes. Completely unbearable in eco mode unless you're really okay with a snail's pace.
      x2

A big reason we only kept our 2018 Tiguan SEL Premium for ~18 months was the drivetrain -- we were consolidating to one car as a family and I couldn't bear having it be our sole car for errands, roadtrips, etc. It was a great car otherwise: plenty of space, features, economy, etc., but VW could do themselves some favors by improving the performance.

Life changed though, and we went back to two cars... c'est la vie.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      07-01-2020 01:25 PM #52
      No R or PHEV for us stupid Americans

I could look past the ****ty all-touch secondary controls for that. But a regular 9s 0-60 Tiguan? Sorry VW
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      07-01-2020 01:36 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      You might want to get that thing checked out

Transmission always in "S"?
      Why, is there a software update or something? Nothing is broken... it's just programmed to be too lazy.
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      07-01-2020 01:52 PM #54
      Why, is there a software update or something? Nothing is broken... it's just programmed to be too lazy.
      I was half-joking, but what you described sounded like more than just lazy. I don't have issues with power delivery like that, but I never put it in Eco mode or even drive it with transmission in regular mode.

Is that yes or no to always driving with the transmission in S?

Vehicles
      2014 Subaru Crosstek Limited
      07-01-2020 02:03 PM #55
      Looks good but no SWB no buy.
      1985 BMW 635CSi (Red/Black) FOR SALE
      2017 Audi Q5 3.0T (Moonlight Blue/Chestnut Brown/Black Optic)
      2014 Subaru Crosstek Limited (Desert Khaki)
      Past: 2006 Mazda3 hatchback | 1998 GTI VR6 | 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 | 1993 Nissan Stanza | 1992 Honda Prelude Si | 1990 Honda Accord LX Coupe

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      07-01-2020 02:09 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Still waiting for APR to crack the Budack.
      They just posted this to facebook

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-01-2020 02:09 PM #57
      That Tiggy R looks AWESOME (as do the rest of the new vehicles in the "true" R lineup.

And no America because of course.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

07-01-2020 03:39 PM #58
      Of course publish pictures of the best looking model which we will not have available here.
      2015 Jetta SE Tech Edition
      2017 Touareg Wolfsburg

Vehicles
      07-02-2020 12:56 AM #59
      I was half-joking, but what you described sounded like more than just lazy. I don't have issues with power delivery like that, but I never put it in Eco mode or even drive it with transmission in regular mode.

Is that yes or no to always driving with the transmission in S?
      Nope, I leave it in normal mode most of the time, sometimes in S when I need to overtake, still does that annoying downshifting in S. The only way I seem to be able to get over the problem is using tiptronic with the drive mode in S as well..

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07-02-2020 09:59 AM #60
      Nope, I leave it in normal mode most of the time, sometimes in S when I need to overtake, still does that annoying downshifting in S. The only way I seem to be able to get over the problem is using tiptronic with the drive mode in S as well..
      Normal mode sucks at low speeds around and makes it feel almost like the motor is choked. S 100% of the time for me

Vehicles
      07-02-2020 01:34 PM #61
      Normal mode sucks at low speeds around and makes it feel almost like the motor is choked. S 100% of the time for me
      Yeah, that's my point haha. It shouldn't be that way, 'S' should be overkill, not the standard for everyday driving. Eco is just anemic. Starts off in third for crying out loud

13. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      07-04-2020 12:58 AM #62
      So what about the 2021 US model? Surely minor changes, but can we at least get SOME kind of power passenger seat on the $40k one?

Assuming if nothing else, we will get the new VW badges. Be nice if we got all the new badges seen on the 2022 but I doubt it.

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI PP; 2017 A4 Avant TDI
      07-04-2020 08:49 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      I can't watch the video until later, and I'm guessing there's a lot of detail (as Autofesgahaulikeg videos tend to have), so here's some info from carscoops.com

Tiguan R
      - 316 HP
      - The engine details haven't been released, but I'd be shocked if it isn't the "new" R motor they're putting in the 320HP Arteon R (which Autokeguaskalageeg stated is the next Golf R engine)

so I guess it's safe to assume that this is also the front bumper of the new Golf R - looks good.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      07-04-2020 08:58 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      So what about the 2021 US model? Surely minor changes, but can we at least get SOME kind of power passenger seat on the $40k one?

Assuming if nothing else, we will get the new VW badges. Be nice if we got all the new badges seen on the 2022 but I doubt it.
      Sorry, you will have to move to a $50K Q5 for a power passengenger seat.
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Vehicles
      RS3
      07-04-2020 10:43 AM #65
      I think this is a bigger possibility for us than a Tiguan R, reason: Q5

https://www.motor1.com/news/414242/v...i-possibility/
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T |
      VW MK7 GTI/R Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

17. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      07-04-2020 11:09 AM #66
      Sorry, you will have to move to a $50K Q5 for a power passengenger seat.
      Lol I know right? My current 1st gen Tiguan has 12-way power seats/lumbar for both front seats and driver's memory. A brand new Q3 has 8-way power front seats and NO memory at all. WTF? How does both the older and newer, lesser Tig have memory seats and a new Q3 doesn't? I can live with 8-way vs. 12-way, but I can't live without memory.

Between no memory seat, no remote start app, and no ventilated seats, Audi's making it hard to buy a $45k Q3 Prestige. But back to the Tiguan, it's really sort of a sore point to not even have like a 6 way power seat for the passenger in the $40k model, especially in year 3. I understand manufacturer's always rip crap out of a new model so they can pepper it back in later, but by year 3 I'd expect SOME level of power passenger seat. Manual seats blow.

All I really want on my next car is remote start (app, not fob) and ventilated seats, and it would be nice to get it from Germany for $40k negotiated without it being a complete poverty spec otherwise...doesn't seem like it should be too crazy of a request in 2020...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      07-04-2020 12:17 PM #67
      IT is a stupid omission, but I'm kind of surprised you change seat positions so much. I'm guessing you and the other drivers in your household are really different sizes.

Personally I don't see what the Biguan or Q3 offer over the competition for the same money. A $40K RDX SH-AWD thoroughly curb stomps any similarly priced VWAG offering, at least objectively. Someone would have to be really loyal to VWAG for either to have either at the top of their shopping list. The Q5 is surprisingly decent value though.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      07-04-2020 05:34 PM #68
      IT is a stupid omission, but I'm kind of surprised you change seat positions so much. I'm guessing you and the other drivers in your household are really different sizes.

Personally I don't see what the Biguan or Q3 offer over the competition for the same money. A $40K RDX SH-AWD thoroughly curb stomps any similarly priced VWAG offering, at least objectively. Someone would have to be really loyal to VWAG for either to have either at the top of their shopping list. The Q5 is surprisingly decent value though.
      Well, everytime I vacuum out the car (3x per year) or take it in for service it gets moved...even if it's just forward and back it drives me nuts because I never feel it's in the exact same position.

Yeah I mean all logic points to CX-5 turbo, there's virtually no reason not to head straight to Mazda with a $40k budget, but we are not always the most logical creatures.

Creeped new Tiguans today at the dealer, found an unlocked SEL-P-R and realized it doesn't have an adjustable armrest either.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      07-05-2020 11:13 AM #69
      I wouldn’t go near a Tiguan or CX-5 with a $40k budget.

I paid ~$26k for my SE w/pano (maybe a few hundred extra to get a rare spec at the time), and for that price I think it’s reasonable as an imperfect appliance car with good space for the money, enough VW-ness, and a big warranty. I’m looking forward to a future APR tune, which will improve the overall value.

VW Group stuff has quirks though, no doubt. There is sandbagging, and holding back features for seemingly no reason some times. I don’t care about remote start, but outside of that exclusion, I’d say that our Q5 is a pretty excellent vehicle.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      07-05-2020 11:50 AM #70
      I wouldn’t go near a Tiguan or CX-5 with a $40k budget.

I paid ~$26k for my SE w/pano (maybe a few hundred extra to get a rare spec at the time), and for that price I think it’s reasonable as an imperfect appliance car with good space for the money, enough VW-ness, and a big warranty. I’m looking forward to a future APR tune, which will improve the overall value.

VW Group stuff has quirks though, no doubt. There is sandbagging, and holding back features for seemingly no reason some times. I don’t care about remote start, but outside of that exclusion, I’d say that our Q5 is a pretty excellent vehicle.
      The facelifted Q5 looks nice, but...close to $55k MSRP for a P+ optioned the way I want it.

It's fairly difficult to get something German that looks good, fun to drive at least in the most basic sense (see 1st gen Tiguan), has remote start (via phone app strongly preferred), ventilated seats, and an adjustable armrest, for around $40k negotiated. Even $50k is fairly limiting, adjustable armrests are sort of uncommon.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      07-05-2020 05:07 PM #71
      It's just strange how limited VWAG's value proposition at the heart of the crossover market is. $40K should buy you a good crossover IMO, be it a competitive loaded 3 row or a decently equippped luxury compact. The Atlas/Atlas Cross aren't competitive, a loaded Tiguan is overpriced, and all $40K gets you at Audi is the Q3, which is niche due to its small size. I think they can do better. The Tiguan needs more motor

23. Member
      Vehicles
      07-06-2020 10:01 AM #72
      It's just strange how limited VWAG's value proposition at the heart of the crossover market is. $40K should buy you a good crossover IMO, be it a competitive loaded 3 row or a decently equippped luxury compact. The Atlas/Atlas Cross aren't competitive, a loaded Tiguan is overpriced, and all $40K gets you at Audi is the Q3, which is niche due to its small size. I think they can do better. The Tiguan needs more motor
      The 3-row Atlas is competitive and the volume proves that. Their value proposition is fine.

2020 Q2 US units

Ford Explorer 44,839
      Toyota Highlander 31,181
      Honda Pilot 30,917
      Chevrolet Traverse 22,315
      Hyundai Palisade 19,366
      Volkswagen Atlas 16,321
      Subaru Ascent 15,773
      Dodge Durango 11,694
      Nissan Pathfinder 8,861
      Kia Telluride 8,550
      Buick Enclave 7,453
      Mazda CX-9 6,232

The Atlas interior is commercial grade and the VR6 is merely adequate, but they nailed the space/interior packaging and exterior styling. And the discounting and inventory availability has been strong. That combination delivers in real life with real people, even if the magazine reviewers and Youtubers are now more enamored with the newer competitors. There are plenty of weaknesses with those entries too.

Loaded Tiguans are overpriced (though heavily discounted), but most loaded cars from any brand are overpriced IMO. Anytime you add $15k in options to a $25k base mainstream car, you're going to have questionable value. I agree that a better motor not being included in that $15k is a kick in the nuts, but that's why I said I wouldn't go near it. In general, VW has only been selling mainstream-focused CUVs in the US for 3 years, so it's a work in progress.

$40k MSRP is too cheap for a well-equipped premium brand compact-midsize CUV. That's too close to the mainstreamers and leaving money on the table.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123