Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving a '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Vehicles
      2011 BMW 328i Touring, 2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      07-01-2020 11:13 AM #26
      Were the 80s common in North America? I feel like most of the ones sold here were 90s.

I just looked up the 80 on Wikipedia and in Greece they sold it with a carbureted 1.4.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      07-01-2020 11:15 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Were the 80s common in North America? I feel like most of the ones sold here were 90s.

I just looked up the 80 on Wikipedia and in Greece they sold it with a carbureted 1.4.
      I thought only the 90 was sold in Canada. The US had both.

The 80 in the US had the 2.0 four in FWD and 2.3 five with quattro.
      Last edited by Hajduk; 07-01-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      07-01-2020 11:25 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      I'm not too sharp with my earlier Audi knowledge, but I think the 5 Cylinder would technically be the "90" model, I am not sure if the 80 was available with it. Honestly, between the B3 & B4 80 & 90 they all look really similar at a glance.
      The 80 in the US had the 2.0 four in FWD and 2.3 five with quattro. All 90s had the five.

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      07-01-2020 11:36 AM #29
      ^ Good info. I did a little looking and it seems they differed as well between US and Europe. It sounds like it was primarily a marketing driven effort to differentiate between engine and trim packages, along with some minor cosmetic changes.

Those 2.0L "Bubble Blocks" were a desirable performance upgrade for the VW enthusiasts, before the Mk3 ABA's came along.

6. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      07-01-2020 12:25 PM #30
      Those 2.0L "Bubble Blocks" were a desirable performance upgrade for the VW enthusiasts, before the Mk3 ABA's came along.
      I'm still running one on my mk1 with the Audi head/intake manifold.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      07-01-2020 12:42 PM #31
      Interesting too, the 2.0 16v was the same block design, kind of an OEM uograde

I love 80s, can't wait to see where this goes!
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '87 Porsche 944S, '87 Audi 80 1.9E, '10 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost
      07-01-2020 04:06 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      100% agree. I'm here for the good times. I wish it had the 5 cylinder, though.
      Yeah, a five banger would've been sweet!

I'm not too sharp with my earlier Audi knowledge, but I think the 5 Cylinder would technically be the "90" model, I am not sure if the 80 was available with it. Honestly, between the B3 & B4 80 & 90 they all look really similar at a glance.
      That's correct, at least here in Germany. The 80s got the 4 cylinders (up to a 2.0 16v) and the 90s got the 5 cyls. The 80 and 90 are basically the same car in different trim levels. The B3 und B4 as well, it's not like there's really much difference apart from some cosmetics.

^ Good info. I did a little looking and it seems they differed as well between US and Europe. It sounds like it was primarily a marketing driven effort to differentiate between engine and trim packages, along with some minor cosmetic changes.
      Yup! The 80 was the entry level car here and the 90 was basically the slightly upmarket variant with bigger engines, a slightly different front end and some higher end options in the interior.
      '87 Porsche 944S - make flip up lights great again!
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E
      '10 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost
      Instagram: @bastienbochmann

9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      07-01-2020 04:33 PM #33
      Oh! Very nice. I worked at a Porsche+Audi and Mazda dealer just after your car came out (I started in '89) and these were still plentiful. I always thought it was a handsome design.

"In" to see where this goes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      07-02-2020 10:22 AM #34
      Not much of an update, but I was doing some work in the garage today and as I was there anyways I had a closer look at the body and paint.

First thing I noticed, above all four doors there are these marks in the paint. Likely from a roof rack. Tried to polish a spot with some polish and a rag and it looks like they will come out, so not too worried about that.

The other thing I noticed is that the trunk lid will definitely need some paint work. It looks like the clear coat melted and throw some bubbles during the fire that melted the bumper and then someone went and shaved those bubbles off. See all those circles? No clear coat there. I hope that I can get away with just sanding it until it is smooth and then spraying a coat of clear, if not I'll have to lay down some base coat first. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Apart from that it looks like it will clean up nicely with all the original paint intact.
      Last edited by Dr.AK; 07-02-2020 at 10:24 AM.
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Vehicles
      07-04-2020 08:23 AM #35
      Took care of the worst visual offender today

Snagged myself a used rear bumper, for just 35€.

​​​

Couldn't leave it at that and needed to see how it'd look with some love and so went ahead and used some Beyond Black to restore it a bit. Not perfect and I'll likely re-do it anyways later, but it's very motivating to see it looking loads better already. Keep in mind it's not aligned properly yet.

​​

Engine actually runs better than I thought after a closer inspection. It just sounds like crap. Most of that comes from the generator which has a bad bearing and is louder than the engine. Apart from that the engine ticks a bit, which likely stems from the hydraulic lifters (is that what they're called? My technical English is not the best...), so it shouldn't be that much effort to get it purring like a kitten.
      Last edited by Dr.AK; 07-04-2020 at 08:28 AM.
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      07-04-2020 08:31 AM #36
      Best 35 you can spend.

Next step?

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI PP; 2017 A4 Avant TDI
      07-04-2020 08:38 AM #37
      way to go. glad to see you post your stuff here. easier for me to follow than your social media accounts

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI, 2002 VW Golf
      07-04-2020 08:38 AM #38
      Wow, the Euro bumper standards really were more lax back then. Is there really no support system under the plastic bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post
      It's a '87 model, so a pretty early car. The B3 was introduced in '86.
      My dad bought a 4000 CS Quattro in the early 90s. It was also an '87 model which I think was the last year for the older boxy bodystyle in the US market.

07-04-2020 11:52 AM #39
      Engine actually runs better than I thought after a closer inspection. It just sounds like crap. Most of that comes from the generator which has a bad bearing and is louder than the engine. Apart from that the engine ticks a bit, which likely stems from the hydraulic lifters (is that what they're called? My technical English is not the best...), so it shouldn't be that much effort to get it purring like a kitten.
      If you have hard time sourcing parts I recommend checking the Audi 100 Shop (http://audi100.net/Shop/shop.html). If they don't list it you can still ask them.

Their model specific headlight relay kit is a must upgrade btw. The light stalk which fries eventually with the stock wiring must have been discontinued for a while now.

I'll be following the thread with interest.

Vehicles
      07-05-2020 05:45 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by benschr View Post
      way to go. glad to see you post your stuff here. easier for me to follow than your social media accounts
      Good to see you here, buddy

Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Wow, the Euro bumper standards really were more lax back then. Is there really no support system under the plastic bumper?

My dad bought a 4000 CS Quattro in the early 90s. It was also an '87 model which I think was the last year for the older boxy bodystyle in the US market.
      Well, in the melted bumper you can see the supports for the bumper support, but apart from that there really isn't anything to provide any significant structure.

That 4000 looked cool!

Quote Originally Posted by JTuhkanen View Post
      If you have hard time sourcing parts I recommend checking the Audi 100 Shop (http://audi100.net/Shop/shop.html). If they don't list it you can still ask them.

Their model specific headlight relay kit is a must upgrade btw. The light stalk which fries eventually with the stock wiring must have been discontinued for a while now.

I'll be following the thread with interest.
      Thanks, that's a good tip! I've been getting some good tips on where to get parts left and right, I'm pretty confident now that I will find anything I need
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Vehicles
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      07-05-2020 07:23 AM #41
      New bumper looks much better - nice work.

It is funny to me how different the bumpers and such are from an '87 VW to an '87 Audi. My VW has the big external bumpers with no molding and the Audi of the same year is completely different in design. Such a departure from today when every single sedan looks virtually identical.

Keep up the good work!

Vehicles
      07-30-2020 05:08 AM #42
      Time for a little update!

I started taking it apart. I don't recall if I mentioned it, but the engine ran but didn't sound healthy. Sounded like the hydraulic lifters to me.

​​

To get the lower timing belt cover off, the crankshaft pulley has to come off. Figures that the previous owner already rounded off one of the screws...

Got myself these nifty spiral nuts for removing rounded off bolts. They work a charm and I can't recommend them enough.

You just put the nut on and start turning it with a bit of pressure and it eats into the screw head until it starts to turn. Neat.

Once I had the timing belt off, I took out the camshaft and got a look at the lifters. I've learned that they are okay when you can't really compress them. Three of these can be basically compressed by just looking at them, so they are the likely suspects for my noises.

I took the alternator apart as well, but it's quite worn and a new one does not cost a fortune, so it's not worth it to refurb it.

Going to be ordering a new timing belt, aux belt and new lifters soon. Then throw everything back together and see how it runs. I expect it'll run a lot smoother than it does now...
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      07-30-2020 08:12 AM #43
      Got myself these nifty spiral nuts for removing rounded off bolts. They work a charm and I can't recommend them enough.

You just put the nut on and start turning it with a bit of pressure and it eats into the screw head until it starts to turn. Neat.
      I LOVE those things. Easiest way to remove (most) stuck bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      It is funny to me how different the bumpers and such are from an '87 VW to an '87 Audi. My VW has the big external bumpers with no molding and the Audi of the same year is completely different in design. Such a departure from today when every single sedan looks virtually identical.
      They did then too! Audi was always a little ahead of VW, who was a bit more traditional. Audi had the big chrome stripe bumpers until the mid-80s, VW had them until the late 80s, but they both switched to flush style bumpers with time. Styling changes were more dramatic then, I think. They are starting to get back that way, like in the 50s. Now it's all about lines in steel.
      A2Resource

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      07-30-2020 09:31 AM #44
      Great to see progress on this thing!

Vehicles
      It varies.
      07-30-2020 09:59 AM #45
      I had a B3 80Q with the 2.3L "NG" I5.

Anyways, I B3s.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      07-30-2020 11:35 AM #46
      Happy to see this pop up to the top of my Subscriptions. Nice work done so-far.

have you considered replacing the lifters with lighter weight ones from a later car? In the US, the Mk4 2.0L "AEG" supposedly has lighter weight hydraulic lifters and are considered a small but easy improvement.

Also, now would be a great time to replace the camshaft with something a little more aggressive!

Vehicles
      07-30-2020 06:34 PM #47
      Happy to see this pop up to the top of my Subscriptions. Nice work done so-far.

have you considered replacing the lifters with lighter weight ones from a later car? In the US, the Mk4 2.0L "AEG" supposedly has lighter weight hydraulic lifters and are considered a small but easy improvement.

Also, now would be a great time to replace the camshaft with something a little more aggressive!

I haven't really considered it, no. I feel this answer also kinda plays to your second suggestion with the camshaft.

It would indeed be fun and interesting to spice things up a bit, but I do really intend to keep the car bone stock. Especially the engine. Mostly cause it's the 1.9E variant with 1847ccm displacement instead of the usual 1781 as all the 1.8 engines in the B3 had. There's only about 350 of the 1.9E still registered in Germany. In my eyes, that makes it worthy to be preserved as it left the factory.

I know in general it's not anything really special, but I think that makes it all the more worthwhile to preserve it as many people just wouldn't care and would probably mod the hell out of the car.
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E

24. 07-30-2020 07:44 PM #48
      That car is hideous and I have zero desire to ever drive one. I probably wouldn't want it if it were free. However, I have immense interest in the build and think it's awesome what people work on and restore. Looking inside that engine is a privilege I would never experience but for this thread. Thanks OP!!

25. 07-30-2020 09:34 PM #49
      Good to see you saving a B3, OP!

My 86 4000SQ with the 2.2l I5 had loud lifters for the entire period I've owned the car for. No matter what engine oil I used, or how cold or hot the engine was. I did change the timing belt but did not want to get into the top end of a car that lived a pretty rough life and broke the odometer who knows how long before I bought it, at 400,000kms. So I just lived with the noise, but figured if I straight piped the exhaust everything else will disappear... Best mod ever!

Coincidentally Part5 of this popped up on YT shortly after I read the thread, you are not alone :

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      07-30-2020 09:37 PM #50
      I love the progress.

I forgot how corroded things can get over there.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast