VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Timing chain questions 1.8TSI. CPRA 2014 Jetta

13K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  gregk24 
#1 ·
Okay, here it goes. I have a 2014 1.8tsi Jetta, 105,000 miles, stock other than a K&N drop in. I got the PO1600 code which led me to check timing, my OBDeleven tells me I’m at 1.5 degrees adaptation, the measurement between the cam sprockets Is 125mm, both of these are within spec I believe. Just to be sure I popped the tensioner examination plug and discovered my tensioner is fully extended, the lock clip is actually on the smooth section. Strange thing is the engine is dead silent, no chain noises at all, runs strong too. So I guess I get to do a timing chain replacement. A few questions have come up :
1. Are all cam locks the same for the ea888 engines, I see a bunch of kits for the 2.0 but nothing listed for the 1.8. I’m talking about the relatively cheap kits available on eBay and Amazon.
2. Since it appears I have an engine built with the older chain that is known to stretch, what about the balance chain, does it have issues as well ? I realize I’m right there to change it but I have no idea how to time this chain and see no real information pertaining to this so I may skip it if possible.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Your engine is doomed, don't spend any money on extra repairs. With good maintenance and care, you will get to 140k to 150k maximum before you need the following:

1.- New intake manifold
2.- Decarbon valves
3.- New chain, guides, and tensioner
4.- New intake camshaft with variable valve mechanish and a new spool valve
5.- This is the most expensive and why I said don't put any extra money into this engine: oil consumption
The pistons and the rings will have to be replaced with updated ones and that is a big and expensive job.

Unfortunately these engines are not designed to go 200k to 300k miles like other VAG engines.

#14 ·
Your engine is doomed, don't spend any money on extra repairs. With good maintenance and care, you will get to 140k to 150k maximum before you need the following:

1.- New intake manifold
2.- Decarbon valves
3.- New chain, guides, and tensioner
4.- New intake camshaft with variable valve mechanish and a new spool valve
5.- This is the most expensive and why I said don't put any extra money into this engine: oil consumption
The pistons and the rings will have to be replaced with updated ones and that is a big and expensive job.

Unfortunately these engines are not designed to go 200k to 300k miles like other VAG engines.
I know VW updated the timing chain mid 2014, but I had no idea there were other issues with the 1.8 TSI. What fails with the pistons / rings / and camshaft? Also, what are your sources?

#5 ·
VAG fixed the problem after 2015, so all 2016 TSI engines don't suffer from the abnormal oil consumption. Forget about getting a used engine from a 2016 VAG car, it will not work with your CPRA wiring and computers. A new engine with the revised pistons and rings, new camshafts, and chains is $10k plust labor (approx. $1,500).

#6 ·
Well, I’ve replaced the timing components, and the spool valve. Also replaced the throttle body to try and track down a irritating 2000rpm stumble. Still have that damn stumble/miss at around 2000rpm. I do not have excessive oil consumption, so I’m blessed there I guess. I’ve done a carbon clean as well. My car just turned 110,000 and runs strong so I’ve got my fingers crossed.
I would love to figure out the miss, the replacement throttle body I installed was used, it took care of about 50% of the miss/stumble and smoothed the idle but I’m wondering if a new one would have corrected everything.

#7 ·
You need to replace the entire intake manifold, they wear out after a while. They are not expensive on the 1.8's. But again, I wouldn't spend any more money on it, unless you love this car/engine combination. These are more in line with racing engine, disposable after a couple of races. In this case, disposable after 150k miles or so.

#13 ·
I had that thing in my hand during the carbon cleaning and did not realize it had the flappers, I really thought only the 2.0 had those. I’ve never had a 2015 code, in fact no codes other than the 1600 code before I replaced all the timing components. If the intake would explain the stumble I would probably bite the bullet and replace it as I really would like to get another 18 months out of the car before it’s replaced.

#15 ·
He’s talking about the early designs of the 1.8tsi Audi developed. All these issues were largely corrected by the time 2014 Gen 3’s came out. I’ve got an 08/14 1.8 with 108k miles. Doesn’t burn a drop of oil. Runs like a champ. Not one CEL. Most reliable VW I’ve owned in 20 years.

Fun read about the 1.8tsi: https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=118

#17 ·
I can't remember what month VW gave the 1.8 the new timing chain in 2014. Early 2014's had an inferior timing chain design. Our 2014 Jetta SE 1.8 was produced at the end of 2013 and had the old design and by 55-60K miles started exhibiting signs of a stretched chain. We ended up trading for a 2020 Jetta S with the 1.4 TSI before things got very expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.