VWVortex.com - KW V1 rear spring failures (yes both of them)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: KW V1 rear spring failures (yes both of them)

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-17-2020 01:14 PM #1
      I'm wondering if I just got unlucky or if other people have had this issue. I ordered the coilovers in December 2018 and put them on the car in the spring of 2019 when I put the car back into summer mode. Everything was great, suspension felt super tight and the adjusted ride height was perfect (not slammed at all, finger width gap between the wheel and body).

Over the summer I maybe put 3000 miles on the car and then put the car back into winter mode, no track days, just normal driving with the occasional highway pull. The car pretty much sat all winter since I have a second car that I was using. When I put the car back into summer mode, I noticed the rear driver side spring had broke.

Whatever, it happens I guess and maybe it was defective. I called KW and to figure out the warranty claim since I'm the original purchaser of the product. No problems there, new spring was sent and that was that.

About a week later, I noticed a horrible clunk/ rattle from the rear passenger side. I took the wheel off, looked in and saw this spring had failed as well

Now I'm annoyed. These weren't exactly cheap and I thought I was buying something with quality. I called KW again and now I can't get an answer that the spring will be covered under warranty, even though there was no issue for the other spring.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with KW? I find it hard to believe that this is normal for both to fail in a similar way with such low mileage (in my opinion).

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      shopping cart
      07-17-2020 01:33 PM #2
      I had the same issue. I am running the ST XTA coilovers (made by KW) and both my rear springs broke in the same spot and similar to yours.
      I called KW and got replacements for it. Not sure if it is "normal" or not. I would certainly hope not so.
      Unfortunately, I have to deal with salt here in Michigan and I drive my car all year around. Mine lasted for almost 2 years and about 55k miles.

Would be interesting to see what life span people with other springs see.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Candy White Golf R
      07-18-2020 10:45 PM #3
      Following since I also have V1s. Curious if there are similar issues with V2s or V3s...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Check out the build thread HERE
      See the bottom of Post #1 for a running, updated list of mods

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 07-19-2020 04:30 AM #4
      I’ve had V2s since 2014 with about 80k on them. Conversely my rear shocks started leaking around 50k so I went back to stock but kept the KW springs and perch. I should find out if they’ll cover a rebuild since I’m original owner

Vehicles
      MK6 Golf R
      07-19-2020 05:00 AM #5
      Def not normal. Looks like a manufacturing issue with the strength in the metal before is was made into a coil. I dont run the KWs although I almost did. Currently running VWRs bought with about 5-10k previous owner and i put about 30k. So far so good.
      MKVI Golf R
      Stage 2+
      IG: Charlotte.Mk6R

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-22-2020 11:50 AM #6
      So a quick update: finally got confirmation that they accepted the warranty claim and a new spring is being shipped. I'll be posting updates in the future if I run into future issues again they the replacement springs.

Vehicles
      MK6 Golf R
      07-22-2020 05:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by nschmitt View Post
      So a quick update: finally got confirmation that they accepted the warranty claim and a new spring is being shipped. I'll be posting updates in the future if I run into future issues again they the replacement springs.

Thanks for the input and follow up. I will be making a post soon about a clutch issue I had recently
      MKVI Golf R
      Stage 2+
      IG: Charlotte.Mk6R

Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R 4dr 6MT, 2017 PGM Alltrack 6MT, 2017 SB GSW 4MO DSG
      07-23-2020 09:58 AM #8
      I learned the hard way that it is very important to make sure that your springs are correctly matched to your shocks. On my W8 wagon I updated the shocks with Bilstein's to get a firmer ride and kept the stock springs. Both front springs snapped around 120K miles. VW tech said the springs went because they were not compatible with the shocks.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Candy White Golf R
      07-23-2020 10:02 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by B5Speedo View Post
      I learned the hard way that it is very important to make sure that your springs are correctly matched to your shocks. On my W8 wagon I updated the shocks with Bilstein's to get a firmer ride and kept the stock springs. Both front springs snapped around 120K miles. VW tech said the springs went because they were not compatible with the shocks.
      That's likely true but in this case we are talking about a coilover system, so the hope is that KW has done their homework and matched things appropriately.

Now that I think about this more, even more interesting that it is the rear shocks...the front are the one with the heavier static and dynamic forces...maybe they did too weak of a spring, maybe its the suspension design and how the spring sits, or maybe just bad luck/manufacturer defect...

Check out the build thread HERE
      See the bottom of Post #1 for a running, updated list of mods

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-23-2020 10:14 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by mailman2013 View Post
      That's likely true but in this case we are talking about a coilover system, so the hope is that KW has done their homework and matched things appropriately.

Now that I think about this more, even more interesting that it is the rear shocks...the front are the one with the heavier static and dynamic forces...maybe they did too weak of a spring, maybe its the suspension design and how the spring sits, or maybe just bad luck/manufacturer defect...

Right, I found it very odd it was both rear springs, especially with such low mileage and extremely limited winter road use (NJ road salt will forever be the bane of my existence).

And yes to clarify, this was a complete kit designed for the MK6R, so I would hope everything is engineered correctly for the car. I'm now paranoid about the front springs and will start checking monthly.

13. 07-25-2020 07:52 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by B5Speedo View Post
      That trips my BS meter - I can see stiff spring overdriving unmatched shocks and causing damage, but the other way around seems fine - the shock just ends up absorbing more of the load, so the spring should be doing less...

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-30-2020 06:02 PM #12
      And the fun continues.... they shipped me a replacement front spring, not a rear spring..... downtime is now just about a month..

15. 07-30-2020 08:29 PM #13
      I’m pretty sure I’ll be switching to something else besides KW. Not sure if shocks/springs or different coil overs. Öhlins are oh so tempting but extreme overkill

16. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-30-2020 09:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      I’m pretty sure I’ll be switching to something else besides KW. Not sure if shocks/springs or different coil overs. Öhlins are oh so tempting but extreme overkill
      I'm thinking about the same thing to be honest.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      88 M3 - Sold but not forgotten, 06 EVO - RIP, 95 M3 - Sold, 12 CSG MK6 R
      07-30-2020 11:19 PM #15
      I have KW V3's and have had both front springs break (not at the same time) Car is lowered a bit but nothing crazy (25" FTG) I'm sure the salt from the Wisconsin winters didn't help, but have never had springs crack like this before on any car.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      13 .:R / 16 LR4 / 99 318ti superch'd sold / 01 A8L sold / 91 Gti 8V sold & missed the most!
      07-31-2020 07:34 AM #16
      Ohlins are fantastic... I have had them on for some time now (less than a year) & I love them.
      I grin like a child every time I come out of a tight corner..
      Although they dont go super low. So no 'slamming' of anything on Ohlins.

Dont think of them as overkill.. think of them as the last coil over set you'l ever need to buy.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ohlins-p...smt10-awd~ohl/

Quote Originally Posted by thegave View Post
      Last edited by markoVW; 07-31-2020 at 08:15 AM.
      APR 2+

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Gray; '12 Golf R 2Dr Black (totaled hail)
      07-31-2020 08:38 AM #17
      Just a plug for the VWR coilovers. I had the VWR springs and really liked them but wanted to be able to adjust the height for winter driving so I switched to the coilovers and they are really nice. I have them set pretty soft which seems to help on the larger/slower bumps. I don't think anything will really do well on smaller/faster bumps, in terms of not transmitting the shock through to the driver. Unless of course, you didn't care about the handling of the car at all.
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded CSG - Diesel Geek, Delete R Badges, USP Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Rebadge.com, Volant CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, USRT W/M, VWR Streetsport Plus, H&R RSB, SPM motor mounts

20. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-31-2020 05:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by markoVW View Post
      Ohlins are fantastic... I have had them on for some time now (less than a year) & I love them.
      I grin like a child every time I come out of a tight corner..
      Although they dont go super low. So no 'slamming' of anything on Ohlins.

Dont think of them as overkill.. think of them as the last coil over set you'l ever need to buy.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ohlins-p...smt10-awd~ohl/

Got a pic if the car? Would love to see what the height is after the springs settle.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      13 .:R / 16 LR4 / 99 318ti superch'd sold / 01 A8L sold / 91 Gti 8V sold & missed the most!
      08-01-2020 12:21 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by nschmitt View Post
      Got a pic if the car? Would love to see what the height is after the springs settle.

As low as she will go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      APR 2+

Vehicles
      2012 CW Golf R 4dr 6MT, 2017 PGM Alltrack 6MT, 2017 SB GSW 4MO DSG
      08-01-2020 11:26 PM #20
      I believe that a lot of thought by manufacturers goes into matching springs and shocks. The advantage of going with coil overs is that the shock and spring are matched by one manufacturer. When one goes with separate manufacturers these considerations may not be as thorough. I assume VW is thorough when setting up OEM suspensions. I ran into this problem with my W8 wagon. Both front OEM springs broke within a year of each other. About three years earlier I had swapped out the OEM shocks for Bilsteins.