VWVortex.com - 3.6L Climatronic AC Troubleshooting Tips?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 3.6L Climatronic AC Troubleshooting Tips?

Vehicles
      96' 850 Sedan - '07 Passat Wagon
      07-26-2020 09:46 PM #1
      Hi everyone,

I have searched and searched, but fail to find a clear answer on what's going on with my air conditioner. It's also vague as to understand how these Climatronic AC systems work.

The problem is that the AC only works after the car has warmed up for 10-15 minutes of driving. I'm assuming this is because the engine radiator fans turn on and the AC condenser starts to get airflow. What do you think?

Is there a way that I can start troubleshooting this by checking a switch or something? Are there any service manuals that would help guide me through this? I don't have VCDS (though I'm considering buying OBDEleven as an alternative)

Pic just cause I just cleaned it up and the car is new to me
      Makin' Beer, Drivin' Hoopties

vw.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      07-30-2020 01:40 PM #2
      You can do some diagnostics with the Climatronic unit itself:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...eference-Guide

But if you plan on doing any DIY work on the car at all you need to get something that will read both the generic OBDII codes and the proprietary VW ones. VCDS is the best (does the most complete job of emulating the computers that dealerships have in their service departments) but OBDEleven will do in a pinch. Either one will tell you if you have an issue with your cooling fans. If you do, replacement is easy:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...an-Replacement
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 745GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      08-02-2020 01:23 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by jddaigle View Post
      You can do some diagnostics with the Climatronic unit itself:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...eference-Guide

But if you plan on doing any DIY work on the car at all you need to get something that will read both the generic OBDII codes and the proprietary VW ones. VCDS is the best (does the most complete job of emulating the computers that dealerships have in their service departments) but OBDEleven will do in a pinch. Either one will tell you if you have an issue with your cooling fans. If you do, replacement is easy:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...an-Replacement

Jeff, thank you for the response and for sending over these links. I appreciate it.

I've gone through the troubleshooting list there and looks like I need the new servo motors. The problem is that the temperature coming out of the vents isn't changing, and the air doesn't change where it vents out regardless of which button I push on the Climatronic switch.
      When I put the heater on, only the far driver's side gets hot. The center driver's side gets warm. Then the passenger side always stays cool.

I think replacing that vent servo motor and air temp sensor will be my first start.

vw.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      08-02-2020 05:45 PM #4
      Have you seen this thread about replacing/refurbishing Climatronic actuators? It's in Russian but Google Translate does a decent job with it, and the photos are great:
      https://translate.google.com/transla...l%2F7725455%2F
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 745GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      08-03-2020 12:01 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jddaigle View Post
      Have you seen this thread about replacing/refurbishing Climatronic actuators? It's in Russian but Google Translate does a decent job with it, and the photos are great:
      https://translate.google.com/transla...l%2F7725455%2F
      Thank you, this is extremely good!! VAGCOM is going to be instrumental in getting this to work, definitely an investment that needs to happen here soon.

Much appreciated once again.

vw.

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Touareg
      08-09-2020 11:55 AM #6
      Your ac pressure control solenoid is failing. Figure out what brand compressor you have and go buy one off eBay, take it to a shop and have it replaced.
      Welcome to B6 ownership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk