VWVortex.com - $50k Negotiated or Less - AWD, New
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: New car for $50k or Less?

Voters
    62. You may not vote on this poll
    • GLB 250

1 1.61%
    • GLB 35 AMG (Wldcard)

5 8.06%
    • GLC 300

0 0%
    • C300

1 1.61%
    • Arteon SEL-P-R

10 16.13%
    • Q3 Prestige

1 1.61%
    • XC40 R-Design

3 4.84%
    • Smoke weed everyday

22 35.48%
    • Hit crubs n fents n burshes

6 9.68%
    • Manual brown diesel wagon

13 20.97%
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $50k Negotiated or Less - AWD, New

Vehicles
      '20 V60 CC, '14 ATS
      07-29-2020 10:55 AM #26
      V60 Cross Country? CUV ground clearance without the CUV.
      | 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance |

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      07-29-2020 10:59 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by HotCarlWeathers View Post
      I still haven't discovered a compelling reason to move away from my GTI with a roof rack. Judging by the parking lots at my CX races, neither has anyone else, and if they have, it's to an Outback or a full size truck
      You know, I've hauled all kinds of bikes tens of thousands of miles in all kinds of cars (GTI/Jetta/A6/Jeep/Cayenne/Mini-van/Trailer/etc.) and thinking about it, Compact Hatch+Roof Rack is probably my favorite. All the methods have strengths and weaknesses, but if you don't mind your bike outside the car, a car like a GTI is easy to drive and park, dirt from the bike stays out of the car, you don't have to put the seats down and nothing blocks the trunk so you can use both normally. Unlike SUVs the roof isn't high enough to add any awkwardness to loading, but the hatch still lets you stash it in the car if it's pouring or you're staying an overnight or something.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      07-29-2020 11:08 AM #28

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460
      07-29-2020 11:37 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      I don’t see how you’re going to get all that luxury junk without the safety junk, especially new.
      agree. perhaps looking CPO gets you what you want. I'd say both Lexus and Porsche run really solid CPO programs on basically new vehicles, the Macan or Macan S checks every box and if you want something less sporty but like the 4Runner (and AWD) the GX is a good choice. a 2 year old CPO GX comes in well under 50k, even in top trim.

The Lexus NX may also be worth looking into, though they are a bit smaller.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

6. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      07-29-2020 12:17 PM #30
      I'm a cyclist and over the years I've done it all...

1. Roof mounted bike rack on Passat
      2. A4 Avant w/bike inside
      3. GTI with bike inside
      4. Hitch mounted rack on A6

While I did the bike-inside-car thing for a long time, having a hitch mounted rack has been a revolution. No worries about getting the interior dirty or banging/scratching it up, no wheel removal, no awkward lifting the bike up hoping your pedal doesn't hit the bumper, much easier to carry multiple bikes.

To each their own but IMO you'd be better off finding a car you really like and skip the bike-in-car requirement. Of the cars you listed I'd look at the XC40 and Q3. If it was me I'd seriously consider the Stelvio and X3.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28, '86 3.2 Carrera, '15 Touareg TDI & '05 LGT Wagon
      07-29-2020 12:36 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I'm a cyclist and over the years I've done it all...

1. Roof mounted bike rack on Passat
      2. A4 Avant w/bike inside
      3. GTI with bike inside
      4. Hitch mounted rack on A6

While I did the bike-inside-car thing for a long time, having a hitch mounted rack has been a revolution. No worries about getting the interior dirty or banging/scratching it up, no wheel removal, no awkward lifting the bike up hoping your pedal doesn't hit the bumper, much easier to carry multiple bikes.

To each their own but IMO you'd be better off finding a car you really like and skip the bike-in-car requirement. Of the cars you listed I'd look at the XC40 and Q3. If it was me I'd seriously consider the Stelvio and X3.
      I would agree with this. Even if the bike fits, it doesn't fit well. Its such an awkward shape. If car, I like roof mount. If SUV/Crossover, hitch mount is the way to go.
      1986 3.2 Carrera Mini-build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-build-thread/
      1973 Pro-Touring Camaro build thread:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...8-build-thread

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      07-29-2020 02:29 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by 91gti20v View Post
      I would agree with this. Even if the bike fits, it doesn't fit well. Its such an awkward shape. If car, I like roof mount. If SUV/Crossover, hitch mount is the way to go.
      Yep, hitch rack was a game changer. I've done all the combinations that chucchinchilla has done and the hitch rack is so so so much better.

With that said, I'm pretty sure puma1552 is pretty strongly set on having the bike inside the car and I'm certain we've already had this conversation before so...OP just go buy an X3.

Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      07-29-2020 02:34 PM #33
      I put my bike in my S5 as well. Removing the front wheel is even easier than attaching the bike on an external rack. Of course, it would be a problem if my SO would do that activity too, but this would be true with a small SUV as well (I think).
      Last edited by BlakeV; 07-29-2020 at 02:47 PM.

10. Member
      07-29-2020 02:39 PM #34
      Mazda CX-5 Signature. Turbo is peppy, handling is good, quiet and refined above its class, has all the bells and whistles. And you'll get decent change back from your $50.
      Dan
      Current fleet: '15 Mazda6, 04' Ranger, '94 Miata, '19 Kona
      Former: VWs, Audis, e46s, and Miatas galore.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-29-2020 02:52 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post

With that said, I'm pretty sure puma1552 is pretty strongly set on having the bike inside the car and I'm certain we've already had this conversation before so...OP just go buy an X3.
      Yeah, I didn't want to go down the "Do you have thru axles? Because if you do..." rabbit hole

I wonder if it's a Cervelo.
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      07-29-2020 03:18 PM #36
      ...OP just go buy an X3.
      Yup. They're a great car and match the criteria very well.

Yeah, I didn't want to go down the "Do you have thru axles? Because if you do..." rabbit hole
      I thru axles. Never understood why we got them on MTBs so much before road bikes. Yeah, I obviously thrash my MTBs around more, but there's also a lot more compliance in tires and suspensions and such. On road bikes everything is already so tight, TAs were like a missing link. Same with discs, I'll never look back lol. Crap now I want to go ride.

13. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      07-29-2020 03:23 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 91gti20v View Post
      I loved the look of the roof rack on my Passat but in practice loading/unloading bikes while trying not to hit the body of the car was very awkward. I also lost 3-4 MPG highway due to increased drag. Even if a hitch rack reduces MPG, that's only when it's on the car.

Whether OP loads bikes inside or uses a hitch mounted bike rack, I'd say the X3 would be the best choice here. We've had ours 5 years and love it.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      07-29-2020 04:14 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Yup. They're a great car and match the criteria very well.

I thru axles. Never understood why we got them on MTBs so much before road bikes. Yeah, I obviously thrash my MTBs around more, but there's also a lot more compliance in tires and suspensions and such. On road bikes everything is already so tight, TAs were like a missing link. Same with discs, I'll never look back lol. Crap now I want to go ride.
      I heart thru axles also, but on road bikes, they weren’t really needed until discs became popular. My caliper road bike is just fine with QR no issues. My cross bike has disc brakes and QRs though, and the front wheel will walk itself out of alignment after riding a handful of times. The lawyer tabs catch it so it doesn’t fall off, but it’s enough to make the brake disc rub. All I have to do is loosen, seat and retighten the qr, and it only happens once a month or so, but it drives me *nuts*.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      07-29-2020 06:38 PM #39
      Thanks guys, been busy all day and didn't have time to check in here. I mean really, the correct answer here is Macan and just skip looking at anything else, it's just tough to swing that much cash for a purchase, at least right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      I don’t see how you’re going to get all that luxury junk without the safety junk, especially new.
      You can, depends on manufacturer and whether or not stuff is a la carte. I realize you're going to get some stuff standard no matter what these days, but I'm trying to avoid this level of insanity:

Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      GLB?'

The remote app starter is going to be the tough part.
      Agreed, again seems to depend on manufacturer. Of the cars on the list in the poll, only a couple don't have it available. Including the one you sell bro

Quote Originally Posted by DubyaV View Post
      XC40 would fit the bill for you, but it does come with safety systems. Most of them you can turn off or at least set to low sensitivity, so they shouldn’t bother you too much. The app-based remote start works well and the XC40 is reasonably fun to drive (and, with the T5, even kind of quick—about as quick as a GTI).

With some negotiating the XC60 R-Design (T5) should be within reach as well. I know from personal experience that it will definitely fit a bike without having to take the front wheel off.

Volvo’s R-Design trims can’t be had with ventilated seats, however. They have a mix of fabric/leather seats, so in practice you won’t really have a swamp a** problem as quickly.
      The XC40 is compelling, DeMuro loved it of all small CUVs. I will say I'm not a fan of the suede seats in the R-design, those have the potential to get straight up gross over time, and there are definitely some cheap plastics in this car. Might be too many compromises for the price point the way I'd want it (upper $40s MSRP), but it's certainly worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinhead1 View Post
      Alfa Giulia or Stelvio. You can get a new 2019 for under $40K, 2020's for under 50K. Very fun to drive.
      Unfortunately I have to put the axe on purchasing (not leasing, drive too much) anything Italian. The whole reason I'm here is because I have a German car that hasn't been able to be fixed in the past 7 attempts, now brought in for attempt #8 this morning. Wife will slice my throat if I bring home something Italian after this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Why no X3? In many ways (not all) it took the sport sedan torch from the 3-series, having your AWD and road bike room is gravy.

edit: Not sure how reliable the BMW app is, but this build has everything you want incl. minimum nannies. MSRP a bit over $50k, but IME BMW should have some room even on an ordered car. If you give up the app, you can go from Executive down to Premium which saves budget and removes some parking stuff. https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...4sy08s/summary
      Thanks, I should probably look at BMW again, I feel like in recent years they've lost the plot so bad and I got burned bigtime on one years ago that it turned me off to the brand. I of course would need M sport so that's $5k+ right there with the 20s, and then they make me pay another nearly $3k just to get lumbar support. Typical BMW, but might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      x2.

I think that a S4 or S5 349HP could fit nicely. $52895 with T&P S5 is doable at a rounded 50K, although the OP probably will want a 60K version with 19", carbon inlays and Bang & Olufsen sound system.
      Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      CX5 2.5T
      Can't fault this one, this is the most logical, smartest choice by absolute far. My wife test drove a Signature in March when she was shopping. I didn't drive it, just rode in it and it was very, very, very nice and very composed, quiet, and buttoned up. Mazda clearly is punching well above its price point, and at least in March in MN, the ventilated seats worked well, albeit noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      I hate to say it but I think a Golf R accomplishes 95% of what you're looking for.
      I was looking at GTIs the other day thinking an R would fit the bill, but we are in an R drought/dead zone now.

I can tell you that my CX bike doesn't come close to comfortably fitting in my CX-5 with the wheel on, even with all the seats down.
      This seems strange to me, considering I can put my road bike in the back of my little first gen Tig with the wheel on with a couple inches to spare. Granted it's a shorter wheelbase bike and I'm not that tall so my seat isn't too far from the wheel.

I wonder if it's a Cervelo.
      Colnago over here. No Italian cars allowed, but bikes ok.

16. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      07-29-2020 06:54 PM #40
      This for you or your wife? Weren't you looking at buying an A220 back in March

17. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      07-29-2020 06:57 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      This for you or your wife? Weren't you looking at buying an A220 back in March
      This is for me, wife's car is on order. Was supposed to be here in July, but Covid pushed it to November which is perfectly fine with me.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      07-29-2020 07:07 PM #42
      Grand Cherokee Limited or Limited X with the Hemi V8.

Yes, it's on its way out, but it's a great vehicle all around. It's got a nice, smooth ride, quiet, well featured with all the stuff you want, and also capable off road. And it's sized right, imo.

And you can get them discounted, but even at MSRP the Limited X V8 comes in at just under $50K.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2020 08:58 AM #43
      So my MDX is again at the dealer, chasing a clunk they created when the control arms were replaced.

They did give me a pretty sweet loaner though and I thought about the OP:

It’s an RDX A-Spec. Not particularly roomy, but I think my road bike with its approximately one meter wheel wheelbase would fit. It’s also pretty fun to drive. The infotainment is pretty terribly laid out, but this is my second time in an RDX and I’m figuring it out.

The motor is awesome, the transmission is awesome, and it handles really really nicely for a CUV. The steering is numb, but everything is numb these days. It also has vented seats, which I’ve never had in a car before. I do wish the seats went down a little lower, but that’s a personal preference thing since I’m not really an SUV kinda guy.

No idea what the price is, but it’s an Acura so it’s probably sub 50k.
      Last edited by mrothwell; 07-30-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      07-30-2020 09:15 AM #44
      damn back at the dealer again? meanwhile mine was doing the chirping again lol. I seem to notice it the most in the summer when the AC is pushed hard
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

Vehicles
      MK7 GTI
      07-30-2020 09:23 AM #45
      I've been seeing the new RDX more and more often on the road, and they are a v v sharp looking vehicle
      I am not associated with Weber-Stephens wonderful American-made grilling products, nor with Guy Fieri or Martin's Famous Potato Rolls.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      07-30-2020 10:13 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by gti5dr06 View Post
      damn back at the dealer again? meanwhile mine was doing the chirping again lol. I seem to notice it the most in the summer when the AC is pushed hard
      Yep. Been out of service for 38 of the past 40 days through today due to misfires. 29 and counting at the dealer, and 9 more sitting in the driveway basically undriveable waiting to go back to the dealer. Since June 21st there have been 2 full calendar days that the car was driveable. The other 38 days, it's either been at the dealer for full or partial day, or sitting in the driveway needing to go back for returning CELs/misfires.

No complaints with dealer though, they've been great and following the process of escalations, etc. and have been working really hard to properly diagnose and fix the car.
      Last edited by puma1552; 07-30-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Vehicles
      mk6 CW GTI, '20 CX5GT, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      07-30-2020 10:31 AM #47
      CX-5 GTR Turbo AWD or Signature Turbo AWD ($38k MSRP)

how was this NOT on the list??? maybe I'm biased, we just bought one last week. We got the non-turbo GT AWD for $32K.

1) Ventilated seats - CHECK
      2) Memory seats - CHECK
      3) Upgraded audio - CHECK
      4) Sunroof - CHECK
      5) App remote start (not fob) - CHECK
      6) Minimal/no safety junk - ummm, every single new suv has most of these standard now-a-days, but you can turn a lot of them off

not big enough? CX-9
      Last edited by col.mustard; 07-30-2020 at 10:36 AM.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

24. Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2020 10:32 AM #48
      Ugh yeah. I had bad control arm bushings so I took it in to have them replaced, something started clunking after that. I took it back, got new endlinks, didn't fix it, got new struts, didn't fix it, got new strut bearings, didn't fix it, so now its back again. I wonder if I'm going to get a new steering rack out of this.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      07-30-2020 11:06 AM #49
      Ugh yeah. I had bad control arm bushings so I took it in to have them replaced, something started clunking after that. I took it back, got new endlinks, didn't fix it, got new struts, didn't fix it, got new strut bearings, didn't fix it, so now its back again. I wonder if I'm going to get a new steering rack out of this.
      ...but on the plus side your belt or hpfp doesnt chirp

my other dealer wanted way too much to diagnose the last time and then tried to say that he knows that its not covered under warranty
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2020 11:19 AM #50
      ...but on the plus side your belt or hpfp doesnt chirp
      Yet!

Kidding aside, that totally blows. That's a 2014-2015 issue, right? Hopefully min doesn't start doing it after I get it back. "Sir, we fixed the clunk but now your HPFP is chirping."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast