VWVortex.com - Manual transmission shift point indicator modification?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Manual transmission shift point indicator modification?

1. 07-29-2020 09:16 AM #1
      So far my searches are not finding this.

Will a VCDS or OBDEleven purchase let you modify when your dash panel displays upshift? Very often that seems around 200 RPM too low in our Alltrack. I get the car can cruise less than 1500 RPM on level going at modest speeds but at times you really know the engine's not in it's happy space that begins above 1500 RPM.

This is not a big deal for my wife and I who've had manual transmissions most of our lives but 2 of our 3 kids are a bit astray on that one.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 Alltrack SE 6MT
      07-29-2020 10:38 AM #2
      Seconding this. Not really a problem for me either since I'm used to shifting on RPM or sound/vibration, but I'm quite bothered that the car will often tell me to shift into an RPM range it's not happy in.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 GSW 4MO 6MT
      07-29-2020 10:49 AM #3
      Similarly, I'd rather get rid of the "gear suggestions" all together and have it just show current gear. I'm not aware of anybody having figured this out yet, but could be wrong.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      07-29-2020 02:10 PM #4
      Agreed. The suggested gear comes definitely too quick. Maybe 200-400 rpm too low. It's just there to maximize better fuel consumption I guess.

It's even worst in my case since I changed my clutch for a stage 2 single mass kit.
      Anyways, if you drive a manual and need to see and follow that gear suggestion to shift, you should not drive a manual.

I'd rather get rid of that suggested number in the cluster.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack S 6MT
      07-29-2020 04:53 PM #5
      Interesting topic and yea definitely agree the suggested upshifts are quite optimistic. I'll be accelerating up a hill needing to be in higher revs and it's just sitting there begging me to shift in to 6th. ha. Something I obviously ignore but would be a bonus to be able to get rid of the display if it's possible.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport, 14 Golf TDI Man, 11 Tiquan 4Motion Man, 09 Crossfox, 04 R32, 99 Passat, 89 Jetta GLI
      07-30-2020 03:03 PM #6
      Have a 17 GTI Sport and never even look at this shift indication as it is primarily for fuel economy. Normally shift at 3000 around town and hardly ever get out of 4th gear.

9. 07-30-2020 05:16 PM #7
      If there's a way to code out the suggestion entirely I would love that. It is not something I look at often, but still... I don't like it.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Corrado, 06 GTI, 15 Sportwagen TDI, 17 Alltrack
      07-31-2020 12:23 AM #8
      I have been driving VWs with manuals since 1972. Most of them had upshift lights that were worthless and you never ever paid attention to them. But our newer mk7 Alltrack and Golf Sportwagen have a very advanced shift indicator system that is based on both speed and torque. Plus I really like the way it indicates the specific gears and has a little arrow. That is way fancier than a light. What is interesting is you might be driving and it might say shift from 3rd to 4th. But if you start going up a hill it uses the torque to know you shouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th and turns off the indicator even though you didn't change speeds. Now I look at the shift indicator light, never to check if I should change gears, but to see if it is recommending the correct gear. The reason I have been driving manual transmissions for 48 years is I refuse to allow my car to make decisions on shifting. My first VW a 1970 Fastback didn't have a tachometer. Instead it had little 1, 2, and 3 marks on the odometer that indicated the highest speed you should go in a given gear. What I have found is your observation is correct. Mk7 based Golfs with manuals want you keep the rpms up when you could easily run at a lower rpm. I like to run at a lower rpm by using a higher number gear but it is possible that using a lower number gear and higher rpms makes the engine more efficient yielding better mpg. So today the purpose of the upshift light in powerful VWs with 6 speed manuals is no longer to prevent bogging or over-revving but to make fuel economy recommendations. So the shift indicator light should be treated like commercials - you can be amused by them but don't believe them!
      Last edited by lschw1; 07-31-2020 at 12:30 AM.

11. 08-01-2020 09:52 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by lschw1 View Post
      I have been driving VWs with manuals since 1972. Most of them had upshift lights that were worthless and you never ever paid attention to them. But our newer mk7 Alltrack and Golf Sportwagen have a very advanced shift indicator system that is based on both speed and torque. Plus I really like the way it indicates the specific gears and has a little arrow. That is way fancier than a light. What is interesting is you might be driving and it might say shift from 3rd to 4th. But if you start going up a hill it uses the torque to know you shouldn't shift from 3rd to 4th and turns off the indicator even though you didn't change speeds. Now I look at the shift indicator light, never to check if I should change gears, but to see if it is recommending the correct gear. The reason I have been driving manual transmissions for 48 years is I refuse to allow my car to make decisions on shifting. My first VW a 1970 Fastback didn't have a tachometer. Instead it had little 1, 2, and 3 marks on the odometer that indicated the highest speed you should go in a given gear. What I have found is your observation is correct. Mk7 based Golfs with manuals want you keep the rpms up when you could easily run at a lower rpm. I like to run at a lower rpm by using a higher number gear but it is possible that using a lower number gear and higher rpms makes the engine more efficient yielding better mpg. So today the purpose of the upshift light in powerful VWs with 6 speed manuals is no longer to prevent bogging or over-revving but to make fuel economy recommendations. So the shift indicator light should be treated like commercials - you can be amused by them but don't believe them!
      I'm fine with the car making decisions. Especially with the owning Subaru EyeSight experience. I would not have bought the Alltrack if it didn't have the safety electronics that we now know are not bad but not in same league as Subaru or Tesla.

Back to topic, I wonder the best forum, sub-forum and wording to know which of the hack options might change the parameters or eliminate the display.

My kids who just learned or are learning to shift now understand the tachometer and where the car has power. My wife passed her driver's test in a 1970s Thing, and mostly had manual transmissions so the display in this car sort of messed up her intuition but now she knows where the engine is happy.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      08-01-2020 05:50 PM #10
      Did some test drive today to better understand when and where the suggested gear change appears.

Flat surface 4th gear city drive, whenever rpm crosses 2000RRM it tells me to go in 5th.
      And if I don’t shift and stay in 4th, if it crosses 2500RPM it tells me to go in 6th.... little bit overkill isn’t?
      Same in 3rd.

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      08-01-2020 10:56 PM #11
      I tell my daughter to use her senses and ignore it if the suggested gear is not appropriate for the particular situation. I find it geared towards fuel economy, wanting you to upshift early.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf Alltrack SE 6MT, 2000 Golf GLS 1.8T (sold)
      08-01-2020 11:37 PM #12
      I've always been good enough at knowing where the engine is happy, but I lean towards fuel economy considerations. Yes the upshift indication is pretty aggressive, but I find myself shifting around that point anyway when driving "around town." Who knows if the car has influenced me on that...it likely has. But I'm fine with it. No problem cruising at 35 mph in 5th gear as long as the road is flat. Of course I am quick to downshift as needed. Mine is an Alltrack 6MT by the way.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk