VWVortex.com - Dump valve
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Dump valve

1. 07-29-2020 06:24 PM #1
      What dump valve is recommended for the b5. Ideally I want to hear the release of the pressure too.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-29-2020 06:25 PM #2
      Also forgot to mention, it's a 1.8t 20v

4. 07-29-2020 09:34 PM #3
      There are multiple 1.8t, 20V VW engines in these cars. You can find your specific type by the three letter code marked on the head (AWM, AEB, AWT, etc). I don't know if the blowoff valves varied since I think they all take the same turbo so I would just go with the stock unit unless you have upgraded the turbo. There is no performance to be gained by changing this since its only function is to provide a path for unwanted boost to be released.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      07-30-2020 08:31 AM #4
      "Dump" or "Blow-off" valves are not really compatible with these engines, and not recommended. They use instead recirculation valves, which re-route unused air back into the engine. Since this air was already metered, venting it will inevitably throw off your fuel/air mixture.

If you really want the "psssst!" sound, some companies offer combination valves, which vent a little of the air for sound effects, while still keeping fueling mostly correct.

7. 07-30-2020 04:10 PM #5
      Do you know the what the type of valve it's called that does recirculate but also gives the psttt sound?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      07-31-2020 02:12 PM #6
      Typically called a hybrid valve, or sometimes a splitter. Forge is probably the best brand for this sort of thing.