VWVortex.com - 2008 Touareg V8 - Reliable or a nightmare?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2008 Touareg V8 - Reliable or a nightmare?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE 4-door manual, PP, LP, DCC, Reflex Silver
      07-29-2020 08:51 PM #1
      My brother is contemplating buying a low mileage (only about ~35K miles) V8 Touareg from a neighbor. This is not a car he was targeting but the opportunity has presented itself. He currently drives a manual transmission 2018 BMW 430i. but his lease is up in a few months and he is looking to trim his transportation costs since he doesn't drive that much. I know this model V8 Touareg is heavy and gets pretty terrible gas mileage, but given that he won't be putting a ton of miles on it, gas costs won't be a major factor. The owners have apparently been living outside the country for at least a couple of years and another neighboring has been looking after their house and this car, driving it a bit here and there to keep it running.

Are there any major reliability concerns for the V8 Touareg 2?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Tiguan SE 2.0t 4-mo, 2001.5 a4 5sp, 1998 a4, 1997 GTI VR6, 1996 Jetta TDI
      07-31-2020 02:26 PM #2
      The Volkswagen V8 is one of the best V8 motors ever made, period.
      I85_305
      DO NOT EMAIL ME on here, my email address assigned to my username is inaccessible and I will never be able to get your emails.
      Buy my 2000 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 5spd https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...a-GLS-TDI-5spd

07-31-2020 05:13 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkswagens-for-life View Post
      The Volkswagen V8 is one of the best V8 motors ever made, period.
      Is the VW motor different from the V8 used in B6 Audi S4s? I sure hope it is.
      2015 Jetta SE Tech Edition
      2017 Touareg Wolfsburg
      2012 Jetta S SportWagen 5 speed: Recently sold
      2004 VW R32 DBP: Recently sold

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 CC, '05 A8L, '08 Touareg
      08-02-2020 04:32 PM #4
      The 4.2FSI is a great running engine and not really prone to failure but.....being an FSI, at some point it will require valve cleaning and by then there will most likely have upper end gasket leaks that need to be addressed. As far as the rest of the vehicle - there are water ingress issues, drive shaft bearing issues, cracked vacuum lines and assorted electrical issues. Finding a knowledgeable independent mechanic is advised.