VWVortex.com - Mk5 GLI removing 6 cd changer caused battery drain.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mk5 GLI removing 6 cd changer caused battery drain.

Vehicles
      2006 Vw Jetta GLI
      07-30-2020 12:12 AM #1
      Hello! I wanted to know if there is a way I can rewire the harness that use to go into the 6 CD disc changer to keep the radio from draining my battery. I removed the and that seemed to help with the battery drain. I do not have the wiring diagram but I wish I could find it to at least help me know what wires on the cd changer are useful.

I never throw things away but I never thought I would need the cd changer (1K0035110A) so I threw it in the trash and I really don't want to buy another CD changer just to make this work.

I think something in the wiring isn't making a full circuit to tell the radio to turn off completely since the cd changer is no longer there.

Any advice would be helpful!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      07-30-2020 08:22 AM #2
      Curious how you went about figuring your battery drain issue? Did you do it Per VW guidelines?

Generic Basic WD for CD changer

Vehicles
      2006 Vw Jetta GLI
      07-30-2020 04:33 PM #3
      Thank you for that diagram! I used a voltage meter and tested the tops of the fuses after making sure the car was off for a while. I noticed that the Radio was pulling some current when testing it. I unplugged it and was able to start the car the next day.

I haven't been driving it lately but the battery is so low that nay drain would have more than likely caused to to not start.

That being said. I did make one big opsie... I some how managed to get my air bag light to kick on as well.... I'm not sure how or why but now its on.

Thats for another day...

I'm not super great with wiring diagrams. So any input on how I can basically make the CD changer not draw power would be super helpful!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      07-30-2020 05:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Yellowgti11 View Post
      Thank you for that diagram! I used a voltage meter and tested the tops of the fuses after making sure the car was off for a while. I noticed that the Radio was pulling some current when testing it. I unplugged it and was able to start the car the next day.

I haven't been driving it lately but the battery is so low that nay drain would have more than likely caused to to not start.

That being said. I did make one big opsie... I some how managed to get my air bag light to kick on as well.... I'm not sure how or why but now its on.

Thats for another day...

I'm not super great with wiring diagrams. So any input on how I can basically make the CD changer not draw power would be super helpful!
      Find someone that has a proper scan tool to access the whole car and see what you find for trouble codes and for the ones that can cause a battery drain issue.

For testing take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj...ature=emb_logo & the VW TB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...21265-9999.pdf unless this is how you did the check already.

Seeing that you removed the CD changer perhaps you should remove it from the radio coding so the radio does not look for it.

As for the WD I can make out a power wire that goes to the Vehicle Electrical System Control Module and a ground wire that are disabled when unplugging the CD changer.

Vehicles
      '14 Tiguan S, '08 Rabbit, '87 Scirocco 16v
      07-30-2020 08:48 PM #5
      Did you check you're not suffering from the infamous battery drain due to the gateway incompatibility with some radios?

Sounds allot like that issue. Just an idea.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2006 Vw Jetta GLI
      07-31-2020 08:16 AM #6
      Thanks for the responses!

I did use that video to check the fuses which is why I believe the issue is with the radio/cd player. I haven't tried recoding the radio, Im assuming you mean what JetTurbo is talking about in this thread: https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index...orking.129341/

Can recoding be done without a VAG-COM?

Also, I'm not sure its an issue with the gateway incompatibility since the radio is still the stock radio with Nav. I've thought about replacing the head unit all together and ive head about having to get some new canbus but ideally I just want to get this battery drain fixed before I head down that path.

9. Member
      07-31-2020 09:04 AM #7
      Yes exactly need to code out CD and see if that changes anything about the battery drain issue. You can recode it with any scan tool that is capable of accessing and coding the radio, Vcds is one such tool.

Vehicles
      07-31-2020 12:06 PM #8
      To recode the CD Changer settings you will need VCDS or an equivalent. If the radio is the one fitted from the factory to the car then the Gateway should be already the nessecesary version to avoid the drain.

What year is the car?

11. Member
      07-31-2020 12:11 PM #9
      Perhaps a 2006 VW Jetta GLI

Vehicles
      07-31-2020 01:18 PM #10
      If the radio has navigation and is not the MFD2 radio (RNS 315, 510) which were not available in 2006 then I would most definitively check the Gateway compatibility first.

IIRC the gateway change for compatibility with the 315 and 510 radios happened in 08 when the touch screen radios were introduced.

Vehicles
      2006 Vw Jetta GLI
      07-31-2020 04:58 PM #11
      It is a 2006 VW Jetta GLI.

How would I check the Gateway compatibility?

I just looked up MFD2 radio and Mine looks just like https://repairalltv.com/mfd-2-vwz1z7...nal-code-1574/

14. Member
      07-31-2020 06:10 PM #12
      First Gen MFD2 with the black buttons which fits with your '06 GLI, so it not a Gateway compatibility issue. You want to check what you have you need a scan tool that can look at that module for the part number.

Last edited by GTI's; 07-31-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Vehicles
      07-31-2020 06:16 PM #13
      That is exactly the MFD2 Nav Radio. I have one as well, just not installed . My car is an 08 and came with the newer gateway from factory, so I just swapped without issues.

There is very good tutorial which i used to swap my rcd310 (because the aux in wiring changes) on www.my-gti.com I tried to copy the link but my phone refuses. You can google MKV can gateway upgrade and you'll get related results.

The gateway on my Rabbit is this one:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/202944832413

Before I swapped my Radio I got a newer gateway from 2011 GTI out of my local u-pull for $25 (just in case) but never used it its revision L.

There are various versions of the gateway but from what I remember revision K or newer should be clear of the battery drain issue.

You will need VCDS or equivalent to swap the Gateway as it needs recoding.

16. Member
      07-31-2020 06:19 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by rocco_16v View Post
      That is exactly the MFD2 Nav Radio. I have one as well, just not installed . My car is an 08 and came with the newer gateway from factory, so I just swapped without issues.

There is very good tutorial which i used to swap my rcd310 (because the aux in wiring changes) on www.my-gti.com I tried to copy the link but my phone refuses. You can google MKV can gateway upgrade and you'll get related results.

The gateway on my Rabbit is this one:
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/202944832413

Before I swapped my Radio I got a newer gateway from 2011 GTI out of my local u-pull for $25 (just in case) but never used it its revision L.

There are various versions of the gateway but from what I remember revision K or newer should be clear of the battery drain issue.

You will need VCDS or equivalent to swap the Gateway as it needs recoding.

Why would Op need a new gateway for a factory stock radio that was installed in a '06 GLI

Vehicles
      07-31-2020 06:54 PM #15
      I apologize if I somehow implied or instructed the OP to replace the gateway as the solution.

My information is intended to provide something else to check. Explain a known process that addresses the same behaviour as the OP has stated. And provide my personal experience performing this process including the cost I incurred as a reference.

Vehicles
      2006 Vw Jetta GLI
      08-01-2020 06:16 PM #16
      Thank you for the info everyone.

Would something like https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...868sch01b~scf/ be able to help find the battery drainage leak, re-code the stereo, find out why my airbag light is on, and reset the light it if need be?

Vehicles
      2006 Vw Jetta GLI
      08-02-2020 09:18 AM #17
      GTI’s, do you think the tool above will work for what I need or would I need vcds?

20. Member
      08-02-2020 11:19 AM #18
      No idea never used one but for that price I would be looking at the 3 VIN version of Vcds at https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/ or you could try and find an older HEX-Can-Usb with no VIN limit but the real ones seem to be holding their price but can not do the newer cars completely(2016->). Make sure you do not get a fake if buying a used Vcds, I checked CL in Raleigh and found a fake that is listed for $199. Any Vcds dongle that needs a "panda disc" to work is a fake. You also get legitimate access to the RT forums https://forums.ross-tech.com/ if you buy from them otherwise if you buy a used real dongle you need to pay a fee of about $100 for legitimate access to forums. You could also try the VCDS locator http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator and see who is near you that might do it for free or beer etc.