VWVortex.com - 04 r32 vvt adjusters reset question
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 04 r32 vvt adjusters reset question

Vehicles
      04 R32, 93 slc, 88 16v Rocco (sold), mk4 jetta gls (sold) 98 glx, 97 gt (sold) 99.5 golf gl (sold)
      07-30-2020 11:43 AM #1
      I am new to the 3.2l vr6 world. I've timed many 12v motors but the the whole vvt thing has me a little uneasy.

Do I need to take the vvt adjusters off the camshafts in order to reset them? (Turn each adjuster full clockwise till limit stop then turn counter clockwise fully till limit stop and then install chain)

It seems I'm able to do so without even cracking the cam bolts loose.

Will appreciate anyone's input greatly!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      15 Jetta 92 Corrado VR6
      07-30-2020 06:36 PM #2
      No the adjusters will rotate freely with no oil pressure. The bentley has the base position as part of the timing procedure. The 06 up exhaust cam locks with no oil pressure, so just line it up to the marks.
      -Paul
      1992 Corrado - ALL MOTOR Drag Project [email protected] and falling
      KPTuned - Official MegaSquirt: Sales - Repair - Installation - Tuning

Vehicles
      04 R32, 93 slc, 88 16v Rocco (sold), mk4 jetta gls (sold) 98 glx, 97 gt (sold) 99.5 golf gl (sold)
      07-31-2020 06:12 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by need_a_VR6 View Post
      No the adjusters will rotate freely with no oil pressure. The bentley has the base position as part of the timing procedure. The 06 up exhaust cam locks with no oil pressure, so just line it up to the marks.
      Ok that makes sense. I should probably further educate myself on how the whole system functions. Thank you for the help!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-01-2020 07:54 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by suzuki200k View Post
      Ok that makes sense. I should probably further educate myself on how the whole system functions. Thank you for the help!
      Have a look at this guide

https://youtu.be/VOtrlFvmqU0

Vehicles
      08-01-2020 10:11 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by McPikie View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by suzuki200k View Post
      Have a look at this guide

https://youtu.be/VOtrlFvmqU0
      Just finished up watching the videos that you have on youtube before I came on and saw your reply. Thank you for a super clear explanation of the vvt cam adjuster reset. The Bentley can be confusing at times. I've been pulling my hair out because when I adjust the adjusters all the way clockwise like most people do, my arrows are no where near lining up with the small notches. I really wonder how the motors run for the people that don't do it your way. Anyway I appreciate the input! Thanks again!