Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Care: by Volvo

07-31-2020 01:08 PM #1
      Has anyone looked at this? It’s something like $750 /month including insurance. Is this really offering any real convenience?

Looks like it also covers tires and maintenance, but if you’re only doing 2 years, does it really do anything that leases don’t, save for insurance?

I’d love your input on this.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      07-31-2020 01:16 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Has anyone looked at this? It’s something like $750 /month including insurance. Is this really offering any real convenience?

Looks like it also covers tires and maintenance, but if you’re only doing 2 years, does it really do anything that leases don’t, save for insurance?

I’d love your input on this.

Chris

$750 a month on top of a car payment? Or 750 a month for a car, insurance, and everything else? I'm confused. 750 a month is a LOT of money even if it includes the car payment and insurance and maintenance.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

07-31-2020 01:23 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      $750 a month on top of a car payment? Or 750 a month for a car, insurance, and everything else? I'm confused. 750 a month is a LOT of money even if it includes the car payment and insurance and maintenance.
      No, it’s like a lease, and it looks like 24 month increments that includes insurance and maintenance. If it included registration, I think I’d be down for that.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf GTI + 2018 Golf AllTrack
      07-31-2020 01:25 PM #4
      We looked into it a bit, but it is only available on certain models. No wagons at the moment, unfortunately.
      It really doesn't seem like there is any advantage over leasing, as far as I can tell. The annual mileage allowances are 15k, so maybe that is a bit higher than a standard lease?

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      07-31-2020 01:26 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      No, it’s like a lease, and it looks like 24 month increments that includes insurance and maintenance. If it included registration, I think I’d be down for that.

Chris
      I mean if it includes like EVERY cost associated with the car including all the RMV fees, taxes, oil changes, maintenance (including wear items), it might not be too bad, but it's still a lot of money at $750 a month for a lease. You can lease a lot of car for that much, and you don't really need to worry about brakes or tires for the first 2-3 years of leasing/owning a new car unless you drive it like a maniac...
      IDK I just don't see the advantage to this over a traditional lease. My Honda lease had Honda Care which included an extended warranty, free oil changes and some other stuff like roadside assistance. With insurance my total per month was like $350... obviously Volvo's are nicer and more expensive but, that's quite a lot more money.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 01:27 PM #6
      Insurance runs me about $50/mo.

Maintenance, in the first two years what do you need? 2 oil changes ($50-75ea) and maybe a couple air/cabin filters? Windshield wipers? Call it an even $100/yr.

So take a lease, add, I dunno, $50-75/mo for insurance/maint (more if you live in NYC I guess) to that and that's your comparable.

I bet this comes out a loser, big time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

8. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      07-31-2020 01:59 PM #7
      Since I'm on a boring conference call I decided to look up some info using the Volvo site and a local dealer.

2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design

Dealer lease special: 10,000 miles a year, 36 months
      $419 per month for 36 months. $3,919 due at signing,
      Insurance: Average cost for Volvos is $165.20/mo
      All in including down/monthly/insurance: $693.06 a month

Care by Volvo: 15,000 miles a year, 24 months
      $700 per month, $0 due at signing, insurance included

Note: I couldn't find a 24 month lease to compare so to keep apples to apples, let's say you sign up care by Volvo and swap cars after month 12 which signs you up for 24 more months. Also we all know insurance rates can vary greatly so for discussion sake let's assume that average insurance number I found on the internet is accurate.

Winner: Care by Volvo. Both cost roughly the same however with Care by Volvo you get more mileage a year, the ability to swap cars after a year, and zero maintenance costs which translates to free tires since everything else is already covered. Actually factoring in a free set of tires makes Care by Volvo cheaper than leasing.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 02:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Since I'm on a boring conference call I decided to look up some info using the Volvo site and a local dealer.

Note: I couldn't find a 24 month lease to compare so to keep apples to apples, let's say you sign up care by Volvo and swap cars after month 12 which signs you up for 24 more months. Also we all know insurance rates can vary greatly so for discussion sake let's assume that average insurance number I found on the internet is accurate.

Winner: Care by Volvo. Both cost roughly the same however with Care by Volvo you get more mileage a year, the ability to swap cars after a year, and zero maintenance costs which translates to free tires since everything else is already covered. Actually factoring in a free set of tires makes Care by Volvo cheaper than leasing.
      I believe your numbers, but I bet if you are the average suburban-dwelling Volvo owner, your insurance number is a lot lower. I can tell you I insure all THREE of my cars, some of which cost around the same as a Volvo, for that average number. So again, in NY or NJ or MI or other high-insurance state, it might be a winner. In my area, it would be a loser by $100/mo or more.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      E350 Wagon, Arteon
      07-31-2020 02:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Insurance runs me about $50/mo.

Maintenance, in the first two years what do you need? 2 oil changes ($50-75ea) and maybe a couple air/cabin filters? Windshield wipers? Call it an even $100/yr.

So take a lease, add, I dunno, $50-75/mo for insurance/maint (more if you live in NYC I guess) to that and that's your comparable.

I bet this comes out a loser, big time.
      Those numbers are in no way realistic. No one is paying $50/month for insurance on a brand new Volvo, and show me a Volvo dealership doing an oil change for $50. You might do them in your driveway, but Volvo lessees are not.

In the end Care does end up being the better option all in. It's just a lot conceptually when you look at it without breaking out what you actually get.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 02:08 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Those numbers are in no way realistic. No one is paying $50/month for insurance on a brand new Volvo, and show me a Volvo dealership doing an oil change for $50. You might do them in your driveway, but Volvo lessees are not.

In the end Care does end up being the better option all in. It's just a lot conceptually when you look at it without breaking out what you actually get.

That's what I've paid for insurance for a brand new Wrangler and a brand new Acura, why is a Volvo that different? I bet a Wrangler is MORE.

And an oil change runs me $75 at the local Acura dealer, is Volvo much more expensive than that?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      07-31-2020 02:13 PM #11
      That's what I've paid for insurance for a brand new Wrangler and a brand new Acura, why is a Volvo that different? I bet a Wrangler is MORE.

And an oil change runs me $75 at the local Acura dealer, is Volvo much more expensive than that?

You realize you'll need comp and collision on a lease?

Vehicles
      E350 Wagon, Arteon
      07-31-2020 02:16 PM #12

I have never had a claim, and I pay something like $235/month for full coverage on my two cars in Denver. That's actually really good in my eyes and it was cheaper to add a second vehicle then have just one. Do you not have full coverage? That's the only way I could ever conceptually see paying that low for three cars!

Back when I was younger (pre 25) and lived in NY, I was paying almost $500/month for my CC's insurance. Iirc it was more than the lease at the time.

So more realistic number for insurance would be anywhere from $150-$250 imo. And as stated the average for Volvo was like $165.

As for oil changes- yes on true luxury brands, they are getting nutty pricing. An oil change at the Benz dealer will set you back over $200. I'd imagine Volvo charges between $120 and $150. When I had my S90 they were included so I don't know what they actually cost.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 02:19 PM #13
      Alright, I was wrong, Acura is $74 and Jeep is $67; my S2000 is like $40 so on average it was around $50, I didn't do the breakout per car until now (total bill every six is $1100, $1100/6/3 = $60).

Either way.

insurance by Chris Stack, on Flickr

Also, I keep my car insurance limits low because I also have an umbrella policy, so if you didn't (everyone should but if you didn't) I guess your insurance might be higher?

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      07-31-2020 02:19 PM #14

My VW dealer wants more for an oil change on my GTI. So yeah, I'm betting in a major city, a Volvo service is more than $75.

And insurance is more than $50/mo per car for me, as a mid-40's married person with a clean record (as has my other half) living in the city of Seattle (but not downtown).

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 02:24 PM #15
      As for oil changes- yes on true luxury brands, they are getting nutty pricing. An oil change at the Benz dealer will set you back over $200. I'd imagine Volvo charges between $120 and $150. When I had my S90 they were included so I don't know what they actually cost.
      Are you talking "oil changes" or are you talking "service" because they are very different.

For instance, Acura has the little maintenance thing, and they are happy to have you say "I need the B3 service" and they'll bend you over and take you for what you're worth. And sure, if you want to say "oh I maintain my car strictly by the book because I'm keeping it forever" I guess you can pay the $zillion for all the inspections, but if you're leasing a car and keeping it for 2 years, you'd be insane to pay to do anything other than oil changes and tire rotations for those 2 years.

If you look in the little book, and see "oh, at this interval, I need an oil change and a tire rotation" and you decline all the other BS like "we'll disassemble the brakes and clean them and put them back together for $250" then it's cheap. I pay $75 for oil change and tire rotation at the Acura dealer all the time, have for ~10 years.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      07-31-2020 02:28 PM #16
      Ours is $550/6 months for 100/300. The Corolla has $500 collision and $100 comp deductibles, Yaris is $1000/$500. I think the Corolla is ~$55 and the Yaris is $35ish.

We're old, both have grad degrees, top tier credit, same as most Volvo drivers.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      E350 Wagon, Arteon
      07-31-2020 02:28 PM #17
      Are you talking "oil changes" or are you talking "service" because they are very different.

For instance, Acura has the little maintenance thing, and they are happy to have you say "I need the B3 service" and they'll bend you over and take you for what you're worth. And sure, if you want to say "oh I maintain my car strictly by the book because I'm keeping it forever" I guess you can pay the $zillion for all the inspections, but if you're leasing a car and keeping it for 2 years, you'd be insane to pay to do anything other than oil changes and tire rotations for those 2 years.

If you look in the little book, and see "oh, at this interval, I need an oil change and a tire rotation" and you decline all the other BS like "we'll disassemble the brakes and clean them and put them back together for $250" then it's cheap. I pay $75 for oil change and tire rotation at the Acura dealer all the time, have for ~10 years.
      I'm talking just oil change and filter at Benz. For Mercedes service A, it is $350. Service B is usually around $600. They include quite a bit in the A/B, but believe it or not a majority of the cost is the oil change/filter and labor associated with that. The dealer I use has a crazy labor rate of like $175/hr. Even the aftermarket warranty fought with them about their rates over the few visits I had.

As for the Volvo, I just checked where I had mine serviced and they had a special for $125 oil/filter. So I guess it's around there for Volvo.

Pretty much all their new vehicles include service so it's a hard comparison.

Also you're killing it on insurance! I hear you with the umbrella. I got scammed once and was very happy to have it in my back pocket just in case.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 02:35 PM #18
      I'm talking just oil change and filter at Benz. For Mercedes service A, it is $350. Service B is usually around $600. They include quite a bit in the A/B, but believe it or not a majority of the cost is the oil change/filter and labor associated with that. The dealer I use has a crazy labor rate of like $175/hr. Even the aftermarket warranty fought with them about their rates over the few visits I had.

As for the Volvo, I just checked where I had mine serviced and they had a special for $125 oil/filter. So I guess it's around there for Volvo.

Also you're killing it on insurance! I hear you with the umbrella. I got scammed once and was very happy to have it in my back pocket just in case.
      They better have the best goddamn donuts in the world in the waiting area for a $200+ oil change. I don't care how rich I get, I'll never be "Pay $350 for an oil change and tire rotation on my German Camry" rich.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 02:38 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      My VW dealer wants more for an oil change on my GTI. So yeah, I'm betting in a major city, a Volvo service is more than $75.

And insurance is more than $50/mo per car for me, as a mid-40's married person with a clean record (as has my other half) living in the city of Seattle (but not downtown).
      I mean I am 25 miles from downtown Chicago, that's pretty "major city" in my book. Sure, I would expect a little more in the city itself, but I'm not particularly far out.

Vehicles
      E350 Wagon, Arteon
      07-31-2020 03:01 PM #20

They better have the best goddamn donuts in the world in the waiting area for a $200+ oil change. I don't care how rich I get, I'll never be "Pay $350 for an oil change and tire rotation on my German Camry" rich.
      Yeah I'd never pay that at a dealer. The Indy guys charge around $100 for a Benz oil change. I'm just stating that in the scheme of things, relative to the conversation, yes lux dealers get paid big bucks for oil changes- and that should play into the total cost conversation for the Care by Volvo option since most people do maintain their new cars at dealerships.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 03:03 PM #21
      Yeah I'd never pay that at a dealer. The Indy guys charge around $100 for a Benz oil change. I'm just stating that in the scheme of things, relative to the conversation, yes lux dealers get paid big bucks for oil changes- and that should play into the total cost conversation for the Care by Volvo option since most people do maintain their new cars at dealerships.
      I get that, but I think Volvo and Acura are more or less on par with one another brand-wise, thus I'd expect their service costs to be similar, and since I've been paying Acura dealer service prices for 15+ years now I figured I had a pretty good handle on what they are.

Vehicles
      E350 Wagon, Arteon
      07-31-2020 03:06 PM #22
      I get that, but I think Volvo and Acura are more or less on par with one another brand-wise, thus I'd expect their service costs to be similar, and since I've been paying Acura dealer service prices for 15+ years now I figured I had a pretty good handle on what they are.
      Yeah, I still think you're paying more at Volvo than at Acura. European brands are just inherently more expensive to maintain. Regardless of whether they're on the same level of luxury.

But going back and forth with you is like beating a dead horse. You will never see anyone else's points because you've already decided care is not a good option for you, therefore it has to be a bad option for everyone else.
      Last edited by ice4life; 07-31-2020 at 03:08 PM.

24. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      07-31-2020 03:11 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post

Except only fools are paying that advertised leased special. Go on LH forums and youll see how dirt cheap some volvo's will lease for. Getting a S80 or XC60 for 400 or less 0 down is not hard to find.

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      07-31-2020 03:15 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Except only fools are paying that advertised leased special. Go on LH forums and youll see how dirt cheap some volvo's will lease for. Getting a S80 or XC60 for 400 or less 0 down is not hard to find.
      First of all there is no s80 anymore, they make a s60 and a s90. Maybe an s60 could be had for that price, but I highly doubt that you can get a s90, which is a $50,000 MSRP luxury barge
      second of all the vast majority of buyers aren't getting those crazy deals.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin...ase/offers/s90

s60, yes, easily can be had for under 400/month 0 down

https://www.volvocars.com/us/shoppin...ase/offers/s60
      Last edited by elite.mafia; 07-31-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      07-31-2020 03:18 PM #25
      Yeah, I still think you're paying more at Volvo than at Acura. European brands are just inherently more expensive to maintain. Regardless of whether they're on the same level of luxury.
      Said another way, European brands are a ripoff for service. Unless it has some unobtanium oil or a huge sump (Porsche) an oil change is an oil change.

But going back and forth with you is like beating a dead horse. You will never see anyone else's points because you've already decided care is not a good option for you, therefore it has to be a bad option for everyone else.
      Hey man, you questioned my numbers, I brought the tech. And I said that in high insurance locations, the numbers will be different and might work out better.

It's not a value judgement or anything else, it's just math. And the math shows for me the program sucks. I already said if it works out differently in other areas (MI, NY, NJ) known to have high insurance it might not suck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast