VWVortex.com - Wobbles
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Wobbles

1. 07-31-2020 02:21 PM #1
      About 2 years ago, I took my 2014 JSW to a tire shop to get new tires. They said it needed an alignment, so I got that done too. When I drove away from the shop, I noticed that I could really feel the bumps in the road. Over the next few days, it got progressively worse and I realized it was a wobble, not bumps on the road. The wobble gets pretty bad - the sunshades bounce against the headliner, change in the ashtray jingles, etc. It occurs at all speeds, even as low as 5mph.

Took it back in, tires were out of balance and alignment had to be redone. Same story - a minor wobble at first that quickly got worse. Went through this a few times before taking it to the VW dealer. They did a balance and alignment, and then a road force balance. Same story again.

I've had it in to 2 other mechanics and a frame and alignment shop. There have now been three different sets of tires on the car, and three sets of wheels, with some mixing and matching in between (Tires A were on Wheels 1, then replaced with Tires B on Wheels 1, then Tires B on Wheels 2 and so on.)

I've sunk way too much money into this and have gotten nowhere. Every shop tells me it's the tires out of balance. And every time the wobble gets progressively worse.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-03-2020 05:39 PM #2
      Are you running stock wheels?

If you are not, are you using hub centering rings? My old GTi had aftermarket wheels and even if I balanced them perfectly they would feel off if the wheel wasn’t on the hub properly... once I got hub centering rings at les Schwab all was good in the world.

Also, are they road force balancing? *edit- I saw that bit in your post*
      Are the tires out of round?
      What other info other than the tires were out of balance have the shops told you?
      Last edited by 707Stang; 08-03-2020 at 05:47 PM.

4. 08-05-2020 10:32 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Nezhin View Post
      About 2 years ago, I took my 2014 JSW to a tire shop to get new tires. They said it needed an alignment, so I got that done too. When I drove away from the shop, I noticed that I could really feel the bumps in the road. Over the next few days, it got progressively worse and I realized it was a wobble, not bumps on the road. The wobble gets pretty bad - the sunshades bounce against the headliner, change in the ashtray jingles, etc. It occurs at all speeds, even as low as 5mph.

Took it back in, tires were out of balance and alignment had to be redone. Same story - a minor wobble at first that quickly got worse. Went through this a few times before taking it to the VW dealer. They did a balance and alignment, and then a road force balance. Same story again.

I've had it in to 2 other mechanics and a frame and alignment shop. There have now been three different sets of tires on the car, and three sets of wheels, with some mixing and matching in between (Tires A were on Wheels 1, then replaced with Tires B on Wheels 1, then Tires B on Wheels 2 and so on.)

I've sunk way too much money into this and have gotten nowhere. Every shop tells me it's the tires out of balance. And every time the wobble gets progressively worse.

Any thoughts?
      Why all the RFB? If they were within spec then there shouldn't be a need for continual balancing.

I had a similar issue and it ended up being a drive shaft in the front, which took MANY hours to diagnose...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-10-2020 11:45 PM #4
      Thanks for the input so far! The first set of wheels were the stock steels with hubcaps. The symptoms started immediately after getting the first set of tires + first alignment.

I then got aftermarket alloy wheels which were installed with hub adapters. Those were checked by many eyes, including my own, and never seemed to be an issue. I got the second set of new tires installed on those wheels.

The frame shop at first told me the newest wheels were bent, so I bought a set of used VW alloys that had tires that were nearing the end of their life. I drove it around with those on just to see what happened, and it was identical to the previous set ups. After that, I had the newest tires moved to those wheels, and same story.

The multiple RFBs seemed to me to be Hail Marys when the various shops couldn't diagnose any other problem. The last shop told me the latest set of tires were 5oz. out of balance which only showed up during the RFB.

I could probably come to terms with the possibility that I have such terrible luck that three different wheels and three different sets of tires all have exactly the same issue, BUT... it just doesn't make sense that I would feel the wobble at 5mph when I'm pulling out of the driveway. As soon as I take my foot off of the brake and the cars starts rolling, it wobbles.

7. 08-10-2020 11:53 PM #5
      To clarify: The first set of new tires were initially installed on the aftermarket alloys. I then had the second set of tires installed on those same wheels. If I'm counting correctly, that's 5 different set-ups that manifested the same exact symptoms.

Also, the frame shop told me I should buy a particular set of Goodyears that they have never had a balance issue with. They pointed me to Tire Rack and said they would install for free, so there's no apparent ulterior motive.