VWVortex.com - Oldtimers conference. Remember Larry?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oldtimers conference. Remember Larry?

07-31-2020 09:18 PM #1
      Last edited by barry2952; 08-01-2020 at 08:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

07-31-2020 09:37 PM #2
      Don't waste your time.

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      07-31-2020 09:40 PM #3
      I sure do miss Larry, but that type of behavior won't get him anywhere.

I too wonder what the heck happened. Barry, I doubt it was your fault.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      07-31-2020 09:50 PM #4
      I don’t remember anything about that, Barry...Larry was a character, but sometimes struck me as mercurial and would write people off if they said something he didn’t appreciate.

I am not a Facebooker, but would be happy to reach out to him if you like.

07-31-2020 09:58 PM #5
      Last edited by barry2952; 08-01-2020 at 08:50 AM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Speed Triple R, 07 Cayman S
      07-31-2020 10:07 PM #6
      I remember Larry’s posts well. I think one of the reasons why he didn’t get as many responses was because he was more difficult to relate with. I think at the time, most of the users of this forum didn’t have the depth of knowledge for the cars that he was into. It is not like he was writing about MKIV GTIs.

Not that he didn’t have great things to contribute, but instead that maybe he couldn’t get a great audience here. He seems like the kind of guy that probably would do well commenting on classic auctions for BaT.

Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      07-31-2020 10:11 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      He did go down the political slippery slope of politics.

Maybe our radically differing viewpoints was the trigger.

This was probably 2009, I think.
      Given what I seeing in his FB feed (and it is nasty, nasty stuff) and given that I am aware of your political leanings, I do not think you want to rekindle or reconcile that relationship. Dude's a Trumpaloopma to the n-th degree now and it is not at all shocking, given his trajectory here towards the end.

Edit: Misspelled Trumpaloompa. That's actually a hard one to get right on the first try.
      Last edited by VadGTI; 07-31-2020 at 10:18 PM.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      07-31-2020 10:13 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      I remember Larry’s posts well. I think one of the reasons why he didn’t get as many responses was because he was more difficult to relate with. I think at the time, most of the users of this forum didn’t have the depth of knowledge for the cars that he was into. It is not like he was writing about MKIV GTIs.

Not that he didn’t have great things to contribute, but instead that maybe he couldn’t get a great audience here. He seems like the kind of guy that probably would do well commenting on classic auctions for BaT.
      It wasn't that. It was the fact that he veered hard right into politics and then felt slighted when his comments offended people. Everything was just fine before that.
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      07-31-2020 10:35 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      It wasn't that. It was the fact that he veered hard right into politics and then felt slighted when his comments offended people. Everything was just fine before that.
      I can't imagine something as trivial as "politics" getting in the way of friendly discourse on a forum dedicated to the love of cars....
      TIL Motor oil doesn't come from motors.

11. 07-31-2020 10:36 PM #10
      Thanks for the heads-up. I will take your advice. I couldn't see his page, but I'm not surprised. Yes, we would not get along, at all.
      OCPD is a beeyotch, so all I could find with him being nasty in a thread with you post Leno Gate was a thread about the Volt (lol) from 11-22-2010. Nothing directed at you, vwlarry was defending Rush Limbaugh, which you and others found distasteful:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...responds/page2

Before that in 10-22-2010 vwlarry seemed OK with you, asking you about your taillights:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...2#post68108362

So sometime between there, your marriage ended.

I wouldn't sweat it, he seemed to dish it out pretty thick, to heck with people who the cannot take it.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      07-31-2020 10:42 PM #11
      I must’ve blanked that era out. I was referring to Barry’s assertion that his posts never generated the attention he wanted. Though in hindsight, that need for attention may have been interrelated. The internet was different a decade ago.

We seem to have kept plenty of those folks around in OT though...

Vehicles
      2009 VW GTI, 2002 VW Golf
      07-31-2020 10:50 PM #12
      I remember VWLarry, he had some good taste in cars. I do remember reading that he got a call from Jay Leno, but it was one of those threads that had too much posted to catch up on, so I missed the entire rest of that story. The two things that pop into my mind when I see that name are old Cords and irritating high-school style drama. He was... a bit of a complainer.

Vehicles
      07-31-2020 10:51 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      OCPD is a beeyotch, so all I could find with him being nasty in a thread with you post Leno Gate was a thread about the Volt (lol) from 11-22-2010. Nothing directed at you, vwlarry was defending Rush Limbaugh, which you and others found distasteful:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...responds/page2
      Nice find! I posted on that page. And now, I have a Volt. It only took 10 years .

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI
      It does buy a lot of gas but I'd get it for s%[email protected] & giggles alone. I drove a prototype Prius Plug-In hybrid over the weekend and it was a hoot to drive around a major metropolitan area without using any gas. Mind-blowing. The Prius does 13 miles before the gas engine kicks according to the Toyota rep. The Volt is, what, 40? That's my commute + errands, no problem. I'd never use the gas engine.
      I cannot remember driving that Prius prototype at all. Wonder how that came about...
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      1992 Miata, 2001 VW GTI, 2018 A6, SQ5
      07-31-2020 10:52 PM #14
      I'm just doing some soul searching.
      Sometimes this can be a good thing, while other times its a bad idea and only leads to dark places. In many cases, its best to close the door on the past and move forward. Life is too short to dwell on things that don't make you happy.

16. 07-31-2020 10:55 PM #15
      Nice find! I posted on that page. And now, I have a Volt. It only took 10 years .

I cannot remember driving that Prius prototype at all. Wonder how that came about...
      Well, nobody can say you're impulsive!

I went through a snit load of pages to find that, again, OCPD is a beeyotch!

17. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      07-31-2020 10:59 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      I must’ve blanked that era out. I was referring to Barry’s assertion that his posts never generated the attention he wanted. Though in hindsight, that need for attention may have been interrelated. The internet was different a decade ago.

We seem to have kept plenty of those folks around in OT though...
      What I found with Larry's threads is that if someone was not completely complimentary to Larry's way of thinking then the poster's reply would immediately be dismissed.

I found his threads informative and interesting but many times they were about obscure cars that non baby boomers had never seen. I was born in 1967 but had no real idea about many of the subjects in his threads.

On another note: Barry's threads about cars were always much more relatable and drew inquiring minds into the unfolding story.

I guess Barry wanted as many people to come along for the ride & learn something new and I always felt that Larry was talking down on the uninitiated. Larry tried to educate but in a much less inviting way.

Maybe this makes sense, maybe it does not. But many of us really miss the Barry threads. Even if you are now unable to restore mechanical things we enjoyed your great stories and willingness to include just about anyone.

I hope this makes sense because I'm no author but do love self propelled transportation. And the unfolding story as new things are discovered. And the solution to a problem even if it might be unconventional but effective.
      Last edited by Just Another Sweater; 07-31-2020 at 11:56 PM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      07-31-2020 11:23 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      I guess Barry wanted as many people to come along for the ride and I always felt that Larry was talking down on the uninitiated.
      I think this hits it pretty succinctly. It always seemed that he wanted recognition, but then would judge people for not giving him the appropriate type or quantity.

People love to lament the old days of TCL, but that might just be rose colored glasses. Bring back the lime green S5’s.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      07-31-2020 11:25 PM #18
      FWIW, there are times when I have disliked and disagreed with what both of you have said.

Most all of us are old-timers now. I think your 2007 join date is accurate, that's about when I remember seeing you show up.
      Last edited by MGQ; 07-31-2020 at 11:40 PM.
      "Family of Fine Cars"

Vehicles
      2010 CTS-V Sedan, 2005 Carrera S, 2018 Durango SRT
      07-31-2020 11:41 PM #19
      Wow, those threads bring ya back don’t they? I’ve seen a lot go down out here... The Limbaugh defense is a trip.

07-31-2020 11:49 PM #20
      To be fair, you unfriended me when I disagreed (politely, mind you), so it’s entirely possible that you might have pissed him off on Facebook.
      | 20 Ram | 13 Altima | 00 Tahoe | 94 Integra GS-R | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody |

22. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      07-31-2020 11:53 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      To be fair, you unfriended me when I disagreed (politely, mind you), so it’s entirely possible that you might have pissed him off on Facebook.
      Facebook is the problem. Just turn off the intrusion and have a better life.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      07-31-2020 11:56 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      I guess Barry wanted as many people to come along for the ride and I always felt that Larry was talking down on the uninitiated.
      It's the difference between a conversation with an "old hand" versus getting hit in the face with a volume of Funk & Wagnalls' finest.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

24. 08-01-2020 12:01 AM #23
      I don't do "Book Of Faces"

It says it's purpose is to "set up to facilitate people finding and forming friendships with each other through an exchange of different content".

From what I hear at work it's a platform to spy on people and use it as gossip fodder And with all the social unrest it has gotten ugly, seems people are totally cool showing their bad side on that place and share it with a couple hundred people. And the whole friend and like thing seems so asinine.

25. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      08-01-2020 12:16 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      It's the difference between a conversation with an "old hand" versus getting hit in the face with a volume of Funk & Wagnalls' finest.
      Well said. We can always learn more than we imagine from a great teacher/old hand.

26. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-01-2020 01:04 AM #25
      Ah Larry. I really enjoyed his content.

I do not remember Barry having anything to do with him leaving. Rereading the Rush thread was funny. I wanted to say stuff back then, but I was a forum sponsor who left his non car opinions at the door, so I didn't chime in.

That's how I remember Larry leaving though. Got into a pissing match over something, and then the "you didn't ever see Jay Leno with TCL bucks" got thrown in his face, and that was it.

I know this wasn't exactly yesterday, but I don't recall how Barry would have factored into this.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast