VWVortex.com - Oldtimers conference. Remember Larry?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldtimers conference. Remember Larry?

08-01-2020 01:23 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      He did go down the political slippery slope of politics.

Maybe our radically differing viewpoints was the trigger.

This was probably 2009, I think.
      A decade is a long time to hold a grudge over opinions. I've seen people say and post really stupid and hurtful things over the years and I'm sure I'm as guilty as anyone of being careless with my words. I'm not sure I remember the names of much of anyone more than a few years though. It's not my policy to refuse to forgive others since I know I've been forgiven, even as bad as I am at times.

As for Facebook and the like, I guess that goes to my desire to not get involved in certain things. I deleted all my social media accounts a few years ago because I didn't need that drama in my life. Maybe when I'm retired or something I'll create an account somewhere, but probably Instagram or something so I can get travel ideas and maybe see pics of family that I don't see in person as often. I even un-bookmarked Off Topic here on Vortex because there was so much vitriol going on in so many threads there. I just want somewhere fun to read about cars and fun stuff. For me, the main forum here at TCL does an OK job of that still.

It's really just the trolls and truly hurtful people that I'm glad to see go. There's a difference between people who may post a specific thing that's hurtful or whatever versus the people who are just on some kind of daily campaign to hurt others. I've certainly got no memory of barry being one of the people who just slammed people over and over with intent to humiliate or discourage them from posting here. It's not like I've seen everything ever posted on TCL, but I guess I've been here a couple years now.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Jaguar XJR, Audi Q5, Honda Element SC
      08-01-2020 03:26 AM #27
      Nothing to add except that I remember Larry and found his knowledge of cars to be superb.
      I remember the whole Leno fiasco but never really followed along. He chose to bail on this forum on his own, this is a car forum after all and not meant to be taken that seriously. If years later he is still mad or bitter over something that happened on a internet forum, that is his problem and not yours. Move on!

4. 08-01-2020 07:48 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I don't do "Book Of Faces"

It says it's purpose is to "set up to facilitate people finding and forming friendships with each other through an exchange of different content".

From what I hear at work it's a platform to spy on people and use it as gossip fodder And with all the social unrest it has gotten ugly, seems people are totally cool showing their bad side on that place and share it with a couple hundred people. And the whole friend and like thing seems so asinine.
      I thought it was to find old girlfriends/boyfriends and cheat on spouses? Or to boast to others how many imaginary internet friends you have?
      Americans hate EVs because they grew up with Power Wheels that were glacially slow, ran out of power in 20 minutes and took an entire day to recharge.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-01-2020 08:02 AM #29
      I see his name pop up in the occasional Facebook thread so we must be connected through other friends. I don't think we were ever actually Facebook friends.

I remember his car knowledge being really incredible. I also remember his politics starting to be more prominent, especially if he was getting prickly with someone.

I commend you barry for trying to find the answers but my suspicion is it wasn't you or anything you should feel the need to make amends for.

I think we are all guilty of taking this forum too seriously sometimes. Sometimes folks take a break, sometimes they leave forever, it is what it is.

6. Senior Member
      08-01-2020 08:05 AM #30
      Seems like an asinine response from someone that has no friends. How is this forum any different, brainiac? Why post if you have zero to offer to the thread? There's a word people like you.
      Here's your own response to your original question.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 krayo sunsplash
      08-01-2020 08:23 AM #31
      VWLarry is a salt of the Earth guy who had good stories, lots of car-related knowledge, and was a frequent contributor to this site’s Glory Days.

I recall people being very condescending toward him whenever any politics leaked into a thread. Pretty rich for people to dump on him for sharing opinions from that realm when comments from the “correct” side of politics constantly make their way in here. This isn’t new. Remember GrandMasterFlash? Most people here prefer to be in an echo chamber.

I don’t remember the details of that Jay Leno situation. Barry - you are also a fantastic contributor to this site. However, your gruff comments directed at other forum members in this navel-gazing thread should bring your soul searching to a quick close.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      08-01-2020 08:25 AM #32
      It was never my intention to bash Larry. You guys have, once again, turned a thread into a Vortex **** show.

I've asked the moderator to remove the entire thread so you can wring out your Facebook anxieties elsewhere.
      Most threads go this route. You’re an old timer, you’d know. It’s not surprising that people have strong opinions one way or another about prominent posters. I agree that lots of us take this place too seriously, I guess that happens when we have a lot of 20-year members who have gelled into a bit of a community.

Barry: learn to use the ignore button on accounts that you don’t find contribute anything. It helps.

Don’t pick your friends based on car knowledges. It’s all written down somewhere and it’s just a hobby.
      "Family of Fine Cars"

08-01-2020 08:27 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      Most threads go this route. You’re an old timer, you’d know. It’s not surprising that people have strong opinions one way or another about prominent posters. I agree that lots of us take this place too seriously, I guess that happens when we have a lot of 20-year members who have gelled into a bit of a community.

Barry: learn to use the ignore button on accounts that you don’t find contribute anything. It helps.

Don’t pick your friends based on car knowledges. It’s all written down somewhere and it’s just a hobby.
      Ignore button?

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-01-2020 08:30 AM #34
      He did go down the political slippery slope of politics.

Maybe our radically differing viewpoints was the trigger.

This was probably 2009, I think.
      Barry, we are not FB friends, but your FB page is wide open.

I think it’s ironic that someone who posts 10-12-20 hard left memes/articles/shouty posts a day is commenting on anyone else “going down the slippery slope of politics”.

You make it pretty clear on FB you have zero time for anyone who doesn’t agree with you politically.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-01-2020 08:40 AM #35
      You may have missed the part where politics are supposed to be in Off-topic.

Where's that ignore button!
      Hey man you asked. You seemed pretty judgey about an old man who can’t stand alternate viewpoints on social media, but here you are, an old man who can’t stand alternate viewpoints on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

12. 08-01-2020 08:41 AM #36
      Seems like an asinine response from someone that has no friends. How is this forum any different, brainiac? Why post if you have zero to offer to the thread? There's a word people like you.
      Nothing was directed at you and I tried to help by searching a ton of threads in the archive to find the Rush thread and one where you two were cool. I also told you it wasn't worth the stress.

I don't do "Book Of Faces", Facebook, it's way different than TCL. Why that particular refrain that i thought it asinine bothered you I don't know. Do you like Facebook that much? If the fact I don't care for it bothers you, I can't even...

By your response to my post I think I see why you and vwlarry fell out. I wish you well with your soul searching, seriously, there's something really negative inside bothering that's causing you to lash out over stupid stuff.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 krayo sunsplash
      08-01-2020 08:43 AM #37
      Your opinion is highly valued.
      You did ask for feedback and recollections from those who have been on this site for a long time, so...

14. 08-01-2020 08:44 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I thought it was to find old girlfriends/boyfriends and cheat on spouses? Or to boast to others how many imaginary internet friends you have?
      Exactly! I have a family member that has over two hundred people on his. He doesn't know twenty people!

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      08-01-2020 08:50 AM #39
      You may have missed the part where politics are supposed to be in Off-topic.

Where's that ignore button!
      if you click on someone's username or go to their user profile page, there's a link that says "add to ignore list"

You'll still see when they post but it blocks the message and you can just skip it.
      "Family of Fine Cars"

08-01-2020 08:57 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      if you click on someone's username or go to their user profile page, there's a link that says "add to ignore list"

You'll still see when they post but it blocks the message and you can just skip it.
      Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12