Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Talk to me about deck material

Vehicles
      Current - 2018 Tiguan SEL-P; Sold - HPA FT-465 MKIV R32
      08-01-2020 01:53 AM #1
      I was planning to go with Trex, composite boards for the low maintenance factor, but have read many reviews saying they are hotter than hell if they’re in direct sun.

Cedar is affordable, but hate the knotty look.

Clean redwood is beautiful but expensive...

What other options do I have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-01-2020 08:19 AM #2
      I have TimberTech (composite) decking, and I don’t know that temperature is really a factor for us. Of course we live in MN...but we still get plenty of 100 degree days. We have two young boys that play on it, sometimes barefoot, and they don’t really complain. I guess I’m usually wearing shoes out there anyways, so doesn’t affect me. The whole “maintenance free” thing is just such a huge benefit for me, can’t stand the tedium of sanding and staining every few years.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      08-01-2020 08:34 AM #3
      I direct sunlight, all the composites get hot. Most lumberyard design centers will have displays outside so you can see for yourself. The gray boards tend to get less warm.

Ipe is an option. It's a Brazilian hardwood is that naturally pest and weather resistant. But it's often not harvested in an eco-friendly manner. If you can find reclaimed teak, it would be as good as ipe.
      Last edited by robr2; 08-01-2020 at 08:38 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      08-01-2020 01:35 PM #4
      We have Trex. Our deck builder had 3 or 4 manufacturers to choose from (some cheaper and some more expensive) but Trex was the only one with the dark gray color we were looking for, specifically in the Trex Select line.

We went with composite because being maintenance free was a big benefit. I have no interest in constantly staining/maintaining all that wood.

It is more expensive then a wood deck but once you start getting into more exotic stuff like cedar and Ipe the price delta really drops.

We get summer sun all day in the back so the boards do get hot. Not too hot to walk across barefoot but standing still for more then a minute can get a little uncomfortable.

Word of warning, our dog has scratched the planks on the stairs. Trex claims they are scratch resistant but take it with a grain of salt.

Here is the whole deck. The railings are Trex too. The pergola is pressure treated lumber that is stained gray. There wasn’t really any way around going with wood for that. Trex does have products for that but it’s incredibly expensive.

Last edited by Hostile; 08-01-2020 at 01:41 PM.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      This...
      ... he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      08-01-2020 09:09 PM #5
      I have Trex. It can be hot foot city in bare feet and no splinters. It's pretty easy to cut and screw down if you're building the deck yourself.

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      08-03-2020 11:23 AM #6
      Our grey Trex definitely gets warm enough that standing on it barefoot is uncomfortable. It also can cause static discharge, which is annoying (touch the gas grill or door handle--ZAP). Otherwise, it's fairly easy to keep clean, I haven't seen it scratch, no warping, etc. I never wanted to sand/stain a deck again so this was an easy choice for us.

Last edited by Numbersix; 08-03-2020 at 11:29 AM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 5500, '15 1500, '98 5.3L TJ, '01 DT466 4700LP
      08-08-2020 08:37 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by .:Rjackson View Post
      Clean redwood is beautiful but expensive...
      What's the cost per square foot on the redwood? We don't even get that option on the east coast...

I saw a local reseller had 3x6 clear pine pressure treated, which would make awesome decking. Not sure if that's an option on the west coast. Thicker stock natural products have a real cool solid feel to them you can't get from a composite.

"Robi" decking online sells locust, very pricey, I have a sample I have a client wants to use it as top cap on a railing but haven't used it yet. I'd have to imagine it'd last forever.

10. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      08-10-2020 04:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Our grey Trex definitely gets warm enough that standing on it barefoot is uncomfortable. It also can cause static discharge, which is annoying (touch the gas grill or door handle--ZAP). Otherwise, it's fairly easy to keep clean, I haven't seen it scratch, no warping, etc. I never wanted to sand/stain a deck again so this was an easy choice for us.
      Well that'll come in handy if your grill lighter ever goes out.

I'm building a 10x12 flat deck right now and I'm using wood. It's small and simple, covering our septic lids and weeds, so throwing stain on it won't be a big deal. Going synthetic would almost double the cost of the decking.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      08-11-2020 11:39 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      It also can cause static discharge, which is annoying (touch the gas grill or door handle--ZAP).
      Funny, I haven't had that happen to me but I just got the grill in the spring. I'll have to see come winter when it's dry.
      iain

Quote Originally Posted by GoLfUnV View Post
      This...
      ... he stuck his thumb into my butt cheek, held it there for 2-3 minutes, and i haven't had any pain since.

Vehicles
      04 R32 / 16 R
      Yesterday 03:42 PM #10
      To the OP...your profile indicates you are up in SF...Karl the Fog dicates the # hot days you get.
      We had it at our previous house (South Bay...significantly warmer) with no issues...may get a bit warm for bare feet, but cant' think of an outdoor surface that doesn't in dlrect sunlight.