VWVortex.com - K03 replacement advice
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: K03 replacement advice

1. 08-01-2020 09:02 AM #1
      2009 Jetta 2.0l CBFA no tune, stock k03 turbo is leaking.

Hans auto parts in Matthew, NC offers K04 upgrade on exact fot for replacement of my k03. I am soliciting thoughts on upgrade to k04, even though I plan not to tune the car. What would be benefit and what would be negative.

I am not going down the China parts route. I've been doing my own repairs to my car for over 20 years. I've owned 9 VW's over the years and replaced turbo once before in addition to 1.8 turno rebuild and multiple head gasket replacements and timing chain replacements on VR6. I am just not too familiar with the complete inner workings of turbos to know full benefits or waste of time.

Intent in the end is daily driver ( although not driving too much) and all around fun car to drive. Manual tranny is only way I ride these vehicles.

Any thoughts abouts Hans is also appreciated.

Thanks for advice.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI
      08-01-2020 11:45 AM #2
      How do you know it's leaking?

If manual car you'll need a new clutch or disc so a k04 with tune and supporting bolt ons will cost you prob $3k+ all said and done. More if a shop does the install.

It's worth it and makes the car a completely different animal and a total sleeper.

You can get a low miles k03 on the forums for a few hundred bucks. Install isnt too bad just takes time. K04 is a direct bolt on.

All depends on how much you want to spend.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 VW CC, 2014 Jetta (wife), 2018 Kia Stinger GT2
      08-01-2020 12:05 PM #3
      OP, message me, I'm local.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-01-2020 10:30 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by swazey View Post
      How do you know it's leaking?

If manual car you'll need a new clutch or disc so a k04 with tune and supporting bolt ons will cost you prob $3k+ all said and done. More if a shop does the install.

It's worth it and makes the car a completely different animal and a total sleeper.

You can get a low miles k03 on the forums for a few hundred bucks. Install isnt too bad just takes time. K04 is a direct bolt on.

All depends on how much you want to spend.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
      Oil class 2 leak around the turbo. Just started to feel the effects of the engine loosing power and check engine light. It has been a while since I threw VAG tool on it, but last check were related to turbo. Ill post here later.

Mainly though the miles and visual inspection of oil leak directly on the turbo. Did new clutch kit about a year ago. Had the local machine shop turn the fly wheel. No issues there. Was not looking to do a tune. So was not sure the k04 would be beneficial or if it is , nominal at best.

Appreciate the advice.