VWVortex.com - Bucket List Drive in a boring rental
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 26

    Thread: Bucket List Drive in a boring rental

    1. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,362
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      08-01-2020 02:32 PM #1
      My initial plan was to pick this https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/un...che/911/574695 up for the day, but it wasn't available, so I ended up packing the entire family in the rental and headed up there. While the rental was not ideal for that road, we still had fun and I don't regret it. The "boring" rental allowed me to enjoy the scenery, keep everything in check and stay out of trouble. In a way I'm glad the that the other car wasn't available. Not being familiar with that road, I probably would've been driving 4/tents or gotten my self in trouble.



      Album here http://imgur.com/gallery/mYHN5m8



    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      34,022
      Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-01-2020 05:44 PM #2
      Waw, gorgeous scenery!

      Question is, did you chain up?

      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    4. Member fireside's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      2,355
      Vehicles
      '20 F-150 SCREW 2.7EB 4x4
      08-01-2020 06:41 PM #3
      Well, how'd the Pathfinder do?

    5. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      23,087
      Vehicles
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      08-01-2020 06:59 PM #4
      Vague thread is vague. Where did you go? Why did you go there? How was the Nissan?

      Maybe others recognize the burnout marks in front of the tunnel, but I don't.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Posts
      4,119
      Vehicles
      F
      08-02-2020 11:06 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Vague thread is vague. Where did you go? Why did you go there? How was the Nissan?

      Maybe others recognize the burnout marks in front of the tunnel, but I don't.
      x2

    7. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,504
      08-02-2020 11:14 AM #6
      That looks like Angeles Crest heading toward GMR.
      Lower all the Things.

    8. Member S1ack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2005
      Location
      NC
      Posts
      1,634
      Vehicles
      16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      08-02-2020 12:24 PM #7
      On the subject...I suppose.

      Work took me to Molokai once.
      And one morning I got up before sunrise to go to the end of the island to catch the sunrise.
      It was not prior to this, a bucket list kind of thing (for me), but the place is so amazingly beautiful, it's bucket list worthy shall we say. I did it in a rental Hyundai....






      ^ That up there is this from the air...and that little windy road.







      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

    9. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,338
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-02-2020 12:36 PM #8
      I once ran a Taurus up the road to Hana and back, and to Haleakala crater. Similar to an SUV on Angeles Crest, it allowed me to take in the scenery at a nice slow pace. I get it.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      4,232
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-02-2020 12:52 PM #9
      Lol same here--when we did Angeles Crest it was in a Chyrsler 200 rental. Not terrible but definitely not a sporty vehicle.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      4,232
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-02-2020 12:53 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I once ran a Taurus up the road to Hana and back, and to Haleakala crater. Similar to an SUV on Angeles Crest, it allowed me to take in the scenery at a nice slow pace. I get it.
      That one we did in a 7-passenger pathfinder with 6/7 occupants. Had to go extra slow as there was understandably motion sickness to go around. My gosh a beautiful road though.

    12. Member burgerbob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2020
      Posts
      237
      Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      08-03-2020 10:19 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I once ran a Taurus up the road to Hana and back, and to Haleakala crater. Similar to an SUV on Angeles Crest, it allowed me to take in the scenery at a nice slow pace. I get it.
      I did this same drive on my learners permit with my parents way back when in a rental soft top Wrangler. Not a bad way to start my driving career if I do say so myself.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

      ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

    13. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,362
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      08-03-2020 06:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Well, how'd the Pathfinder do?
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      x2
      As a grocery-getter, it would do a fine job, just fine, nothing exiting.... just open mouth, breathe and drive. For anything else, just imagine if the motor and transmission were connected/linked together via a big rubber-band.

      I recorded a few clips of a couple different sections of that road with the Pathfinder. However, vid clips don't usually show elevation well.





      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Maybe others recognize the burnout marks in front of the tunnel, but I don't.
      Shame on you! every TCL'er should recognize the tunnels

      If you hangout here, you must've/should've seen this \/



      Pathfinder version


      The concrete slab below what saved the Forster



      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Vague thread is vague. Where did you go?
      The link I posted in the first post showed where













      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      That one we did in a 7-passenger pathfinder with 6/7 occupants. Had to go extra slow as there was understandably motion sickness to go around. My gosh a beautiful road though.
      Same, I had 5 passengers, 6 occupants.




      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      I did this same drive on my learners permit with my parents way back when in a rental soft top Wrangler. Not a bad way to start my driving career if I do say so myself.


      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Waw, gorgeous scenery!
      Question is, did you chain up?
      I didn't think chains were necessary, it was 104° on the bottom and 86° at 7900ft elevation. And the scenery was gorgeous.

      Additional nearby scenery.



      Forest fire in the background









      \/ Mustang practicing!






    14. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,338
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-03-2020 06:39 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post



      1:49 is "Brendan Corner." Hushy calls it that after I kept stuffing the car there in Assetto Corsa. Now it's a call out. "Everyone slow down for Brendan Corner."
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    15. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,362
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      08-04-2020 03:58 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      1:49 is "Brendan Corner." Hushy calls it that after I kept stuffing the car there in Assetto Corsa. Now it's a call out. "Everyone slow down for Brendan Corner."
      "Stuffing" a car on that road is the better of two scenarios, but you have a pilot's license from what I read before, so..

    16. Member
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2002
      Location
      Grapevine, TX
      Posts
      1,239
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      08-06-2020 07:57 PM #15
      Having never owned a "bucket list" car, I've always had to make those great drives in our family car. Luckily, I never made anyone sick or crashed on those trips. The best drives were in my wagon, great handling, but not fast. The SHO was also a blast across the desert. I enjoy the scenery as much as I enjoy a nice twisty road.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

    17. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,338
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-06-2020 08:29 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      "Stuffing" a car on that road is the better of two scenarios, but you have a pilot's license from what I read before, so..
      I'm a pretty good pilot, but it's pretty hard to fly a car. I've tried in Assetto, and in VR it's pretty nauseating when you get it wrong.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    18. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,362
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      08-07-2020 07:15 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I'm a pretty good pilot, but it's pretty hard to fly a car.


      I uploaded two more clips from my phone to YouTube (cleaning my storage space). The first one behind a motorcycle, who I believe got annoyed and pulled over to let me go, and the 2nd after he pulled over. I need to do this in a better car next time, maybe following the locals who are familiar with the road. I could see myself going through a set of tires and pads in the 66 mile stretch.




    19. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,338
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-07-2020 09:42 PM #18
      A friend of mine dated a chassis engineer who used to work for Lotus. He pulled the binding agent out of the brake pads on his M2 on that road.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      May 9th, 2002
      Location
      Grapevine, TX
      Posts
      1,239
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      08-08-2020 04:09 PM #19
      Apart from goofing off, I've only smoked brake pads once driving one of my cars. It was on hwy 198 coming out of Sequoia just after we left Moro Rock. I was driving our stock 2yr old 86 Golf, it had a 3sp auto and the car just kept building speed, despite being in 2nd the whole way down. I did stop on one straight to get a pic of a small black bear crossing the road. Not much weight in the car, maybe 400lbs of humans and a loaded hatch. It was our 1st road trip and the kids were only 18 months and 3.5yrs old, so speed was mild. The car handled great for a stock car, but power was weak.

      I went up that way in the Tiguan last year and out the north exit hwy180, even with the less steep exit, downshifting the trans was not enough to slow the car many times, so brakes still got a workout. Speeds on the twisties was much higher and it also handled well for a stock car. The back was a bit soft on the high speed mountain descents, but that will be fixed.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

    21. Member hushypushy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      Silicon Valley
      Posts
      8,873
      Vehicles
      BRZ
      08-08-2020 05:01 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      1:49 is "Brendan Corner." Hushy calls it that after I kept stuffing the car there in Assetto Corsa. Now it's a call out. "Everyone slow down for Brendan Corner."
      Paradoxically, I have realized that it's probably actually better overall that those aren't our actual real life stomping grounds---we would be so bummed about how inaccurate the LA Canyons mod is. Yeah, it's well done, but it's hard to recognize real sections in the game and vice versa.


      Case in point, this is "Brendan Corner"; a blind-ish right sweeper going Westbound on Angeles Crest right before Angeles Forest.


      Whereas in that clip from Senior Member, he was starting off way east of the LA Canyons mod (and somewhere we've never even driven in real life), the parking lot for the Pacific Crest Trail, and then he drove East towards 138. Here's the Street View of where he started.

    22. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,362
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      08-08-2020 05:04 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      A friend of mine dated a chassis engineer who used to work for Lotus. He pulled the binding agent out of the brake pads on his M2 on that road.
      Sticky tires, improper bed-in?

      Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
      Apart from goofing off, I've only smoked brake pads once driving one of my cars.
      I've smoked pads a few pads at the track. As soon as the brakes start to feel funny pull over, things can get from ok to very ugly within a turn or two.

    23. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,504
      08-09-2020 11:15 AM #22
      Fun fact: When Brendan came down to Malibu for the TCL drive. I absolutely destroyed the brakes on my C43. After that weekend I had to do new pads all around, new rotors and I changed the tires. Many funs were had, many tires were shredded.
      Lower all the Things.

    24. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      18,338
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-09-2020 01:37 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Fun fact: When Brendan came down to Malibu for the TCL drive. I absolutely destroyed the brakes on my C43. After that weekend I had to do new pads all around, new rotors and I changed the tires. Many funs were had, many tires were shredded.
      That was a really fun day. I could smell your brakes about halfway down that run. I was wondering if they were going to make it down the mountain.

      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Sticky tires, improper bed-in?
      Cup 2’s. Bedded in correctly. Just a lot of tops from >100mph.

      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Paradoxically, I have realized that it's probably actually better overall that those aren't our actual real life stomping grounds---we would be so bummed about how inaccurate the LA Canyons mod is. Yeah, it's well done, but it's hard to recognize real sections in the game and vice versa.


      Case in point, this is "Brendan Corner"; a blind-ish right sweeper going Westbound on Angeles Crest right before Angeles Forest.


      Whereas in that clip from Senior Member, he was starting off way east of the LA Canyons mod (and somewhere we've never even driven in real life), the parking lot for the Pacific Crest Trail, and then he drove East towards 138. Here's the Street View of where he started.
      Oh wow. I was WAY off. Interesting.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

    25. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      3,893
      Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-09-2020 04:24 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post


      I uploaded two more clips from my phone to YouTube (cleaning my storage space). The first one behind a motorcycle, who I believe got annoyed and pulled over to let me go, and the 2nd after he pulled over. I need to do this in a better car next time, maybe following the locals who are familiar with the road. I could see myself going through a set of tires and pads in the 66 mile stretch.



      is there some reason you keep crossing the double yellows that I'm not seeing? keep it on your side of the road dude.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

    26. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,362
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      08-09-2020 08:08 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      is there some reason you keep crossing the double yellows that I'm not seeing?
      Yes

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.