VWVortex.com - What’s automated in your garage?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s automated in your garage?

Vehicles
      '18 Mazda 6 GT-Reserve, '89 Honda Prelude
      08-02-2020 01:48 PM #26
      “What’s a garage?”

Reminds me of when I first moved from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. The housing scene down here was very different. In Pennsylvania, I had a full walk-in basement, a full walk up attic, and garage.

North Carolina, most houses are built on slabs and there is no basement. Only the pricier 5000 square-foot homes seem to have a walk up attic. Most houses have a barely usable crawlspace up there for some storage if you’re lucky. And the garages… Carports. I was confounded as to where everybody kept their tools and outside use equipment. Many seem to have sheds.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      17 Golf Alltrack S, 08 Yukon XL
      08-02-2020 03:07 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubDude View Post
      “What’s a garage?”

Reminds me of when I first moved from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. The housing scene down here was very different. In Pennsylvania, I had a full walk-in basement, a full walk up attic, and garage.

North Carolina, most houses are built on slabs and there is no basement. Only the pricier 5000 square-foot homes seem to have a walk up attic. Most houses have a barely usable crawlspace up there for some storage if you’re lucky. And the garages… Carports. I was confounded as to where everybody kept their tools and outside use equipment. Many seem to have sheds.
      Same here, moving from PA to NV, I lost the basement but I gained a 3 car garage on an sub 2k sq ft house something that we didn't see in PA. The build quality also is significtly better here.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

Vehicles
      19 GLI S, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      08-02-2020 03:17 PM #28
      And yet, you can find plenty of NC residences with a garage, and a crawl space big enough to walk into, if you try.

ask me how I know

Not a basement, but a place to store all your outdoor power tools, that can handle the humids.

Car ports? I recall that from being a yout in GA. Still, that house had a crawl space tall enough to walk into (including my old man - I was scared of that place at the time).
      I guess it's a matter of lot geography.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

5. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-02-2020 04:45 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      I drank the HUE koolaid years ago and love the product, however I don't have any in the garage. rest of the house? oh yeah.

the only automation we currently have in the garage is an Arlo Pro 2 camera. part of my 2020 upgrade plan is to replace the opener with a wifi compatible opener, mainly from a "yes it's closed" perspective.

otherwise, not really an area I feel we need smart bulbs or automation.
      I have several Hue bulbs outside of the garage. Very handy, especially usefull when I come home at night as I am in the sticks and it can be very dark here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      '20 F-150 SCREW 2.7EB 4x4
      08-02-2020 04:52 PM #30
      For everyone looking at WiFi openers and addons to confirm their door is open, you could also do what I did - I have an outdoor security camera above the back mudroom door that also is pointed at the garage (detatched) so I can kind of cover my backyard and garage plus the rear entry point with the cam. It's as simple as checking the camera to see if the garage is open!

Vehicles
      987.2 | GTI
      08-02-2020 05:02 PM #31
      I wanna add spotlights that automatically turn on when I drive into the garage but need to add more outlets first.

Quick and dirty way would be to remove the 2 bulbs from the garage opener, add outlet adapters, then plug the in the power cord from the lights into them. That takes advantage of the existing automated feature of lights but not very slick.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      08-02-2020 05:08 PM #32
      I have two wallmount LiftMaster openers with MyQ wifi so I can open them with an app on my phone. If they ever get Ring integration I'll buy the internet gateway.

The door from the garage into the house is a Yale smartlock that's integrated with the Ring alarm.

I also have a Ring spotlight cam over the garage doors that turn on a light when they detect motion. In case the light between the doors and the pole light in the yard aren't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      You even have to open the doors by hand.
      That's miserable.
      Last edited by Hostile; 08-02-2020 at 05:14 PM.
      iain

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      08-02-2020 06:42 PM #33
      Air conditioning (mr cool)

Garage Doors (my Q)

Air compressor (no name smart plug from Amazon). The compressor is in a separate 12x12 shed that’s attached to the garage with copper air lines through the walls (you’d have to go around the outside to turn it on without smart feature).

Music: Alexa * a Bluetooth enabled 2ch amp with ceiling mounted speakers.

Those are the only ones I really care about making “smart” right now. The lights only be on when I’m in there anyways. A/c is the key one so I can get it cooling a half hour before I actually want to work in there. No hub for now - pretty much just using Alexa and the individual apps for the devices.

Vehicles
      '20 F-150 SCREW 2.7EB 4x4
      08-02-2020 07:01 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Air conditioning (mr cool)

Garage Doors (my Q)

Air compressor (no name smart plug from Amazon). The compressor is in a separate 12x12 shed that’s attached to the garage with copper air lines through the walls (you’d have to go around the outside to turn it on without smart feature).

Music: Alexa * a Bluetooth enabled 2ch amp with ceiling mounted speakers.

Those are the only ones I really care about making “smart” right now. The lights only be on when I’m in there anyways. A/c is the key one so I can get it cooling a half hour before I actually want to work in there. No hub for now - pretty much just using Alexa and the individual apps for the devices.
      Wow this is awesome. Long term (10+ year) goal for me would to do something just like you with the air compressor - maybe after I build the lean-to I want to build. I need to have an electrician come and run 220 with a breaker panel out to the garage underground. I'd have to dig up a trench but it would be relatively easy, and they could just cut the current underground 110v run.

As for HVAC, I'm not in a very hot climate here in the USA. 80-90F during the day is generally the avg over the summer so I simply do my work in the AM or the late evening in the summer. Winter time though, what I want to do is get a propane Hot Dog forced hot air heater and a 100lb propane tank out back behind the garage. That would be the cats behind. For now, I get by with my salamander which does a commendable job. I flipped a car last winter with the help of that and it made the garage a pleasant place to be in 30 minutes on even the coldest of days. Not bad for $100!

Vehicles
      NC MX-5, E46 M3 x2, 2006 A4 Avant
      08-02-2020 07:29 PM #35
      I made a tire lift to optimize some dead space. Can lift and hole 8 wheels and tires

"I measure in Smiles per Gallon"---dc/dc

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      08-02-2020 08:59 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Wow this is awesome. Long term (10+ year) goal for me would to do something just like you with the air compressor - maybe after I build the lean-to I want to build. I need to have an electrician come and run 220 with a breaker panel out to the garage underground. I'd have to dig up a trench but it would be relatively easy, and they could just cut the current underground 110v run.

As for HVAC, I'm not in a very hot climate here in the USA. 80-90F during the day is generally the avg over the summer so I simply do my work in the AM or the late evening in the summer. Winter time though, what I want to do is get a propane Hot Dog forced hot air heater and a 100lb propane tank out back behind the garage. That would be the cats behind. For now, I get by with my salamander which does a commendable job. I flipped a car last winter with the help of that and it made the garage a pleasant place to be in 30 minutes on even the coldest of days. Not bad for $100!
      Hard thing about air compressors is that there aren’t commercially available 240v smart plugs. I actually had to go through two because many are low amperage (10a). The biggest one I could find is 16a, which is barely enough for my 15a compressor. The people I know with really beefy compressors just leave them on, which you can get away with a lot more with a 60gal (mine is only 20). I’d love something more serious eventually.

13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      Yesterday 10:22 AM #37
      Only thing automated in my garage is the garage itself and the door which locks/unlocks when we leave and arrive. I also have it set that if the garage is left open at a specific time at night still it will send me a text

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      Yesterday 10:27 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      I never really thought about home automation in the garage. I have been planning on adding a range extender out there for Wifi, and have considered adding on a wifi-enabled opener to my existing Craftsman opener, like the Chamberlain myQ BUT...

I'm very very keen on privacy and IoT devices really bother me. I'm not so much into connected devices as I am true automation, so eventually if I go full ass on it, I'll run openHAB on my local server and configure things to truly automate based on events/triggers/time/etc. I have a handful of PoE and WiFi enabled cameras in-home that are managed by a piece of software called BlueIris that runs on my server. Everything is stored locally/accessed locally via my own hardware. I have a similar setup with OTA antenna TV, a HDHomeRun Quatro and PLEX media server. I also run (on a VM) PiHole to block ads/advertising companies/cookies/etc from certain sources. Last but not least, the Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX handles the routing part of the network. With VLANs, I can segregate certain devices onto separate LAN's and keep everything tidy and secure. It's worth it to be self-reliant and have everything local.
      Yeah, IoT things are not allowed on my home network, but I also work for an automation company that builds products for residential, commercial, and education so we're a little spoiled.

I'll be adding relay control of our opener as well as lights soon to the garage, then we'll have full control in there. Might add a sound system down the road, but I'm happy with my little blutooth speaker for now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

Vehicles
      2015 SRT392
      Today 12:39 AM #39
      I installed a tailwind smart garage door opener on my Sommer 3/4hp GDO. It is seriously bad ass. I never touch my opener anymore so long as my phone is in the car...I have it set to close automatically at 8pm or after being open for more than a few minutes. https://gotailwind.com/

I got the Sommer GDO and then optioned it up with led lights and backup battery. I even got the internet gateway so I can adjust the opening and closing speeds and added a wireless door switch at the back door. Lutron Caseta wireless light switches at both doors. Occupancy sensors, two Sonos S1's, wifi enabled 18k ductless split.
      Hers:2015 Beetle R Line 'Vert Sound/Nav. Previous: 2011 CC VR6/4mo, 2008 R32. 2006 Beetle 'vert, Pkg 2. MK4 GLX VR6 Jetta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12