VWVortex.com - S60 vs. Giulia vs. Golf R vs. ??? (What to Buy Thread)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

View Poll Results: What to Buy

Voters
    75. You may not vote on this poll
    • S60

10 13.33%
    • Giulia

31 41.33%
    • Golf R

20 26.67%
    • Other

14 18.67%
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: S60 vs. Giulia vs. Golf R vs. ??? (What to Buy Thread)

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI, '15 Jetta SEL
      08-05-2020 11:55 AM #1
      Long time lurker here, been here since I was 15 in 2005 lusting over 20th AE GTI's, had a 2006 6MT MKV Candy White GTI that I loved and now in a 2012 GLI Autobahn DSG that I used to love, but is now boring me.

It's time for a new car, as the GLI is going on 8 years and just rolled 99k miles, with some constant suspension issues and problems lurking from previous years' fender bender. Dont want to put another dime into it except some fixes before trade-in.

Been talking numbers and budget with the wife and the max is $40k. I'm completely torn on what to get. Slightly used or new is on the table.

Needs:
      - Fun to drive, sporty, mod-friendly
      - 4 door sedan - needs to fit a car seat as it's about the time to start a family so this needs to be considered
      - Reliable - 33 mile commute to work, 90% highway ....working from home now and only going into the office 1-2 days a week, but this will eventually change (right??)

Wants:
      - AWD preferably, FWD is getting stale for me.
      - Good interior (I've always been a dash stroker and I've loved VW's interior but a lot of other brands are catching up). I hate hard plastic, big button cheapo interiors so this removes a lot of american cars
      - Latest and greatest tech - All the GLI has is bluetooth so anything is an upgrade. Carplay/remote start/blind spot monitoring/adaptive cruise/digital dash/driving modes are all things I want, but dont need all. Remote start is the only one I REALLY want, since I regret not having it everytime Chicago winter comes.

I think I've narrowed it down to 3. However I'm open to more suggestions , and still need to test drive each besides the Golf R but wanted to get TCL's suggestions. Slightly used or new is my preference, nothing over 2+ years as I would prefer the newest since this will probably be my DD for 6-8 years.

2019+ Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
      I have a soft spot for these. I love what Volvo's been doing lately and think the S60 is a perfect blend of luxury and sportiness in a sedan. My only worry is could this get dull after a couple years? I just turned 30 and feel like I have the rest of my life to get into a luxury sedan, and hesitating on this one. Reliability is also a concern.

2018-2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
      Didn't look twice at these at first, but they're growing on me and I think they are gorgeous. Sounds like a lot of issues the '17s had have been resolved on '18s and '19s and '20's are supposed to be even better. However with the spec that I want this quickly goes over budget so used is probably the only way here. I've only sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show so it's been a while, but I feel like the interior quality would be taking a step back from VW (purely subjective, but again haven't sat in one in a long time)

2019 Golf R
      As mentioned, my dream car for a long time. However, getting harder and harder to find some non-abused, low mileage 19's. I've been debating whether to wait until Q4 2021 and order a MK8 R, and waiting would allow us to save some more and up the budget but I'm not entirely sure I love the MK8 yet and would hate to drive a Jetta for another year (my wife has a 2015 Jetta SEL, I'm Jetta'ed out). Would also hate to drop almost $40k and not have some of the technology features as the others.

Am I overlooking the reliability concern on the Volvo & Giulia?

Other cars considered but don't love:
      - Genesis G70 (Will test drive this one to be sure)
      - Audi S3 (was the front runner for a while, may be too small after a kid is in the picture)
      - Audi S5 4-door (meh)
      - Subaru WRX (interior is the dealbreaker - hate it)
      - Acura TLX

Anything else I'm missing?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      08-05-2020 12:01 PM #2
      Skip the S60. I had one for 3 weeks when my Tesla was in the shop and man is that car disapoinitng. Beautiful interior and tight exterior. Really nice build quality but the drivetrain is a real let down. The trasnmission is no hurry to move even in Sport mode. The car is just too slow and it's fake AWD setup just doesnt work for me. I rather have something more biased to the rear. It understeers too much when hustled around curves. I could go on.

OP, what is your budget? $40k? IMO, get something that drives the best with dash strokabiity the second. Seems like the Alfa wins here. Do you have a garage? I'd add in a base SR+ Tesla to your list. Drive one first. It'd be RWD only but prob as good as the Alfa and will keep value waay better.

Last edited by Tommietank; 08-05-2020 at 12:04 PM.
      Slow Car Fast

4. Member
      08-05-2020 12:09 PM #3
      There are a number of 2019's Giulias under $40,000 in the Chicago area. That would be best driver's car of the bunch.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28880&zc=60038

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      08-05-2020 12:12 PM #4
      yeah i can't recommend any 4 cyl personally so S5 or G70 seeing as the TypeS isn't out yet
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '12 GLI, '15 Jetta SEL
      08-05-2020 12:12 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Skip the S60. I had one for 3 weeks when my Tesla was in the shop and man is that car disapoinitng. Beautiful interior and tight exterior. Really nice build quality but the drivetrain is a real let down. The trasnmission is no hurry to move even in Sport mode. The car is just too slow and it's fake AWD setup just doesnt work for me. I rather have something more biased to the rear. It understeers too much when hustled around curves. I could go on.

OP, what is your budget? $40k? IMO, get something that drives the best with dash strokabiity the second. Seems like the Alfa wins here. Do you have a garage? I'd add in a base SR+ Tesla to your list. Drive one first. It'd be RWD only but prob as good as the Alfa and will keep value waay better.
      I do have a garage now after many years and I strongly considered a Tesla Model 3 and still will. A good friend of mine has a 2018 RWD (I think SR+ but not sure) and absolutely loves it, and I even got to join him for a tesla track day and got to drive a model 3 around a track for a little at Joliet Speedway, it was a blast. If I didn't know what he did for a living I'd think he was a Tesla salesman he loves it so much. Would be at the higher end of the budget though but definitely should have added this to the original post.

08-05-2020 12:15 PM #6
      Out of those three, the Giulia all day. However, here's an option with many of the same qualities as the Giulia but with less maintenance costs:

Discounts are heavy, warranty is great.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      08-05-2020 12:23 PM #7
      Honestly I have issues with all of the cars on your list, except maybe the Golf R.

The Volvo won't give you the driving experience you want if you're considering an R or the Alfa.
      If you think you're going to be happy in the Alfa with a car seat in the back, I think you're going to be very disappointed. It's craaaaaaaaaaaaamped back there. Trunk space is tight too.

The Golf R will likely have the most mod potential, but do yourself a favor and just get the DSG especially if you plan to add power.

If you like the Alfa, but need more space, the Stelvio might be an option. I'd also look hard at the G70 as others have mentioned.

Since I prefer hatches and wagons to trunked cars, the A5 or S5 is worth a look if you can find a CPO in budget, but you'll definitely bonk your head (or the future baby's) trying to get them into a car seat.

SQ5? Might be out of reach with a $40k budget.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

08-05-2020 12:26 PM #8
      Test drive a Giulia and let us know what you think. I think a Giulia or Model 3 will be the best to drive among the options mentioned. The Volvo won't compare to a Model 3 or a Golf R.

The Giulia Q4 (the AWD version) is excellent as well.
      2018 Fiat 500e
      2008 Audi TT 3.2 quattro manual
      2006 Lotus Exige

08-05-2020 12:27 PM #9
      Giulia or G70/Stinger - depending on how much room you need. The Stinger rear seat and cargo space is a lot bigger.

The Giulia rear seat and trunk are indeed tiny. 2018+ 4-cyl Alfas are proving quite reliable - maybe not on par with a Kia at miles pile up - but either should be trouble free for several years.

Vehicles
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      08-05-2020 12:29 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      Honestly I have issues with all of the cars on your list, except maybe the Golf R.

The Volvo won't give you the driving experience you want if you're considering an R or the Alfa.
      If you think you're going to be happy in the Alfa with a car seat in the back, I think you're going to be very disappointed. It's craaaaaaaaaaaaamped back there. Trunk space is tight too.

The Golf R will likely have the most mod potential, but do yourself a favor and just get the DSG especially if you plan to add power.

If you like the Alfa, but need more space, the Stelvio might be an option. I'd also look hard at the G70 as others have mentioned.

Since I prefer hatches and wagons to trunked cars, the A5 or S5 is worth a look if you can find a CPO in budget, but you'll definitely bonk your head (or the future baby's) trying to get them into a car seat.

SQ5? Might be out of reach with a $40k budget.
      All of these things. Trunk on my Giulia is deep, but shallow. Rear seat space is tight. If dash-stroking is important, find one with the leather dash option. And 2020 Giulia's have an improved center console and touchscreen radio. But to drive it? *chef's kiss*

Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-05-2020 12:37 PM #11
      If a criteria is 35-40K max and don't care about a 'chic' factor, then yes to a G70/Stinger V6.

Vehicles
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      08-05-2020 12:46 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by dstadnic View Post
      I do have a garage now after many years and I strongly considered a Tesla Model 3 and still will. A good friend of mine has a 2018 RWD (I think SR+ but not sure) and absolutely loves it, and I even got to join him for a tesla track day and got to drive a model 3 around a track for a little at Joliet Speedway, it was a blast. If I didn't know what he did for a living I'd think he was a Tesla salesman he loves it so much. Would be at the higher end of the budget though but definitely should have added this to the original post.

Oh thats great. Sometimes we forget how good the Model 3 is to actually drive and get caught up in all the EV details. In the long run, the Tesla will be the cheapest to run say over a 5 year period and prob have the least depreciation it seems like. The cheapest used SR+ is $38k on Autotrader and a brand new one is $39,200!

And some folks were mentioning trunk space. Since I haven't been on a road trip in 10 months, I forget how much storage there is in the model 3. Thats under the normal trunk plus you get a frunk.

Slow Car Fast

08-05-2020 12:51 PM #13
      Chiming in on how fun to drive the Model 3 is. The Tesla was the "emotional" choice when I was shopping the Giulia, 3, and Stinger. It ended up being too expensive at the time. But in a lot of way, the Tesla was the most exciting.

The SR+ I drove was awesome. The fact that Tesla got the handling and ride that good in their first attempt at a 3-series fighter is a real achievement. That torque never got old.

Vehicles
      '16 S60, '19 XC90, '20 Jetta
      08-05-2020 01:01 PM #14
      I work for Volvo and have driven the S60 extensively so I can speak on it. This week I’ve been driving a V60CC which is the wagon version of the S60. This one is pretty much fully loaded the only things it’s missing is massage and cooled seats. Like everyone said the R and G70 are more driver centric vehicles. However, I’d still take the S60 over both due to driving comfort and the luxury factor. The S60 is a much nicer vehicle than the Golf and I still think it offers a lot over the G70. The design and style alone is amazing imo. I would recommend going with T6 as it provides much better acceleration over the T5 without hurting fuel economy much. The supercharger whine is a nice edition as well. While the T6 performs well it is let down a bit by its trans. The Golf R and Genesis 3.3t would probably just beat it in a straight line. The T8 offers near M340 levels of performance but cost significantly more money and you’d probably have to order it. I recommend going for an R design or Inscription T6. Dealers are offering really good discounts on S60’s right now so you should be able to get a great deal. We had a used T6 just sell for around 25k with only 19k miles

A pic of the V60 I’ve been driving. I think this is my favorite vehicle to drive at the moment. It’s so beautiful and at the same time super practical and luxurious. It also has the best sound system I’ve ever heard. Bowers and Wilkins is no joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by swedesc; 08-05-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      08-05-2020 01:09 PM #15
      Off topic, but on topic: This gets me thinking about V90 wagons. Which lead me to this:

Brown wagon: yes please. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7992/overview/

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      08-05-2020 01:31 PM #16
      Friend just bought an XC60 Inscription (essentially identical interior to the V60). It's stunning. If you want a real luxury car? the V60 will trump any others (save for perhaps a fully optioned C class). The interior in higher trims is just stunning. The engine was pretty uninspiring, though, and it certainly doesn't have the reflexes of the Giulia.

If you value how a car drives more than what the interior appointments are like, find the best lease you can on the Giulia Ti Sport. They drive wonderfully (apart from the diesel-like redline of the motor).

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      08-05-2020 01:35 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
      I work for Volvo and have driven the S60 extensively so I can speak on it. This week I’ve been driving a V60CC which is the wagon version of the S60. This one is pretty much fully loaded the only things it’s missing is massage and cooled seats. Like everyone said the R and G70 are more driver centric vehicles. However, I’d still take the S60 over both due to driving comfort and the luxury factor. The S60 is a much nicer vehicle than the Golf and I still think it offers a lot over the G70. The design and style alone is amazing imo. I would recommend going with T6 as it provides much better acceleration over the T5 without hurting fuel economy much. The supercharger whine is a nice edition as well. While the T6 performs well it is let down a bit by its trans. The Golf R and Genesis 3.3t would probably just beat it in a straight line. The T8 offers near M340 levels of performance but cost significantly more money and you’d probably have to order it. I recommend going for an R design or Inscription T6. Dealers are offering really good discounts on S60’s right now so you should be able to get a great deal. We had a used T6 just sell for around 25k with only 19k miles
      Employee bias aside here - you can no longer get a (new) V60 or V60CC with the T6 drivetrain in the US. Given the infotainment updates of the new model years, I don't think I'd recommend anyone get one older than 2019.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Vehicles
      '16 S60, '19 XC90, '20 Jetta
      08-05-2020 01:40 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      Employee bias aside here - you can no longer get a (new) V60 or V60CC with the T6 drivetrain in the US. Given the infotainment updates of the new model years, I don't think I'd recommend anyone get one older than 2019.
      Correct. V60’s get T5 fwd and CC T5 AWD. However, V60 is available in T8 AWD but those are order only. I was saying the op should get an S60 T6. The T5 in the CC that I’m driving is very adequate but it definitely could use some more power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      08-05-2020 01:41 PM #19
      Since this isn't necessarily an immediate buy, what about a 2022MY STI? If the 400hp rumors are true, it should be a pretty hot item. I'd at least wait until the MKVIII Golf R is out to pull the trigger on an R. Giulia is nice, but I'd either go for a used one or lease- the depreciation on a new one is pretty steep.

21. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-05-2020 01:44 PM #20
      Choosing between S60 or Giulia is very similar to the 1990's comparison between Mercedes (luxury) and BMW (sport). Both are great choices but depending on your priorities you may choose one over the other. Since OP is focused on sport I'd say he should go for the ultimate driving machine and buy the Giulia.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

22. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      08-05-2020 01:46 PM #21
      Alfa. Great driver’s car. Took a huge depreciation hit, so IMO you get lots of bang for your buck on a lightly used 2-year old car. It’s got soul. It’s a conversation starter. Get it in blue just to make me happy, with phone dial wheels.

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      08-05-2020 01:54 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Off topic, but on topic: This gets me thinking about V90 wagons. Which lead me to this:

Brown wagon: yes please. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7992/overview/

hmm i could get behind this. These are super rare here actually haha
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      GX470; Model 3 dual motor appliance
      08-05-2020 02:08 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      Chiming in on how fun to drive the Model 3 is. The Tesla was the "emotional" choice when I was shopping the Giulia, 3, and Stinger. It ended up being too expensive at the time. But in a lot of way, the Tesla was the most exciting.

The SR+ I drove was awesome. The fact that Tesla got the handling and ride that good in their first attempt at a 3-series fighter is a real achievement. That torque never got old.

I hate to say it but after selling my model 3 and looking for replacements.... When you factor in how well they hold their value, how low the maintenance is, and the gas savings (which extrapolates out to $8000 of car value).... they are not as expensive as you may think, and they're almost untouchable with what you're actually getting. The only bummer is that they are appliances with no soul - if you can get over that, I strongly encourage you to buy one.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      08-05-2020 02:36 PM #24
      I'd take a Stinger V6 over all of those. Big hatch, bigger back seat for enormous child seats, still fun, looks better than a bread van Golf, and interior color options other than straight black. You can get them in real colors and the deals are real on them right now.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      08-05-2020 03:00 PM #25
      Most of my opinions have already been shared multiple times. I'll just try and drive some of the points home:

Tesla Model 3 -

VW Golf R - (I expected so much more driving involvement but found it so very boring)

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I was all set to order a Golf R in one of those oddball colors, then I test drove one. I hated it. It did everything well but was so mundane, boring, it felt like I'd want to trade it in in 6 months. Nothing felt special, it had no drama, it was just, sterile. Same feeling I had about my B8 S4.

I moved on to the typical high performance sports sedans, F80 M3, Alfa Giulia QV, and Tesla Model 3 Performance. In the end the Giulia and Tesla won me over. The only reason I didn't buy the Giulia was the dealer network. I was just getting out of a Jeep SRT8 and HATED the service experience, so i went with a Tesla.

I love my Tesla, but I also love the Giulia. I've been contemplating trading the 3 in for a QV but I know I'd miss it too much. I may pick one up as a second car in a few years.

I'd also suggest a Civic Type R, you can now get one without the crazy rear spoiler. I know, FWD FTL, but not really. The car is amazing to drive.
      The car that started it all! A work log and tale of tears (from my wallet)
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...lass-work-log)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast