Long time lurker here, been here since I was 15 in 2005 lusting over 20th AE GTI's, had a 2006 6MT MKV Candy White GTI that I loved and now in a 2012 GLI Autobahn DSG that I used to love, but is now boring me.
It's time for a new car, as the GLI is going on 8 years and just rolled 99k miles, with some constant suspension issues and problems lurking from previous years' fender bender. Dont want to put another dime into it except some fixes before trade-in.
Been talking numbers and budget with the wife and the max is $40k. I'm completely torn on what to get. Slightly used or new is on the table.
- Fun to drive, sporty, mod-friendly
- 4 door sedan - needs to fit a car seat as it's about the time to start a family so this needs to be considered
- Reliable - 33 mile commute to work, 90% highway ....working from home now and only going into the office 1-2 days a week, but this will eventually change (right??)
- AWD preferably, FWD is getting stale for me.
- Good interior (I've always been a dash stroker and I've loved VW's interior but a lot of other brands are catching up). I hate hard plastic, big button cheapo interiors so this removes a lot of american cars
- Latest and greatest tech - All the GLI has is bluetooth so anything is an upgrade. Carplay/remote start/blind spot monitoring/adaptive cruise/digital dash/driving modes are all things I want, but dont need all. Remote start is the only one I REALLY want, since I regret not having it everytime Chicago winter comes.
I think I've narrowed it down to 3. However I'm open to more suggestions , and still need to test drive each besides the Golf R but wanted to get TCL's suggestions. Slightly used or new is my preference, nothing over 2+ years as I would prefer the newest since this will probably be my DD for 6-8 years.
2019+ Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
I have a soft spot for these. I love what Volvo's been doing lately and think the S60 is a perfect blend of luxury and sportiness in a sedan. My only worry is could this get dull after a couple years? I just turned 30 and feel like I have the rest of my life to get into a luxury sedan, and hesitating on this one. Reliability is also a concern.
2018-2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
Didn't look twice at these at first, but they're growing on me and I think they are gorgeous. Sounds like a lot of issues the '17s had have been resolved on '18s and '19s and '20's are supposed to be even better. However with the spec that I want this quickly goes over budget so used is probably the only way here. I've only sat in one at the Chicago Auto Show so it's been a while, but I feel like the interior quality would be taking a step back from VW (purely subjective, but again haven't sat in one in a long time)
2019 Golf R
As mentioned, my dream car for a long time. However, getting harder and harder to find some non-abused, low mileage 19's. I've been debating whether to wait until Q4 2021 and order a MK8 R, and waiting would allow us to save some more and up the budget but I'm not entirely sure I love the MK8 yet and would hate to drive a Jetta for another year (my wife has a 2015 Jetta SEL, I'm Jetta'ed out). Would also hate to drop almost $40k and not have some of the technology features as the others.
Am I overlooking the reliability concern on the Volvo & Giulia?
Other cars considered but don't love:
- Genesis G70 (Will test drive this one to be sure)
- Audi S3 (was the front runner for a while, may be too small after a kid is in the picture)
- Audi S5 4-door (meh)
- Subaru WRX (interior is the dealbreaker - hate it)
- Acura TLX
Anything else I'm missing?