The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC cars, Anyone?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Golf GTI & '14 Corsa
      08-10-2020 01:56 PM #1
      Hello all,

RC Cars is what got me started into a car addiction honestly.

My interest has slowly dissipated after buying a real 1:1 car! lol

How about you guys? Any RC car guys/gals/fans?

Cheers
      Milt

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-10-2020 02:08 PM #2
      Before I had my drivers license, I was all about RC cars. Had an RC10, RC10T, HPI RS4 Rally and a few others. RS4 Rally was nuts. Modded it with a two speed transmission, Dirtinator D3 motor, and whatever the hot battery was of the day. Had a lot of fun learning suspension tuning with that car.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

4. Member
      08-10-2020 03:12 PM #3

I got really into the scale trophy truck thing for about a year and welded a few steel roll cages for the Baja Rey chassis. I don't really drive them anymore but I like having them around.

5. Member
      08-10-2020 03:55 PM #4
      I have a Traxxas E Revo 2.0 that, after some upgrades to make it more bash worthy, is an absolute beast. Jumping 15 feet into the air is pretty damn fun.

Vehicles
      GTI
      08-10-2020 04:16 PM #5
      I am into them pretty over the top compared to most people. I have roughly 30 vehicles at this point, oh and one boat. Couple shots of a few are below.

PSN: ehamptuna

Vehicles
      18 LR Discovery Gen2 Raptor 97 BMW M3
      08-10-2020 04:17 PM #6
      When i was in middle and high school my dad and my self were big into it. It was another leap into loving cars and building things. I got really competative with it. We ran on and off road with all team associated cars and trucks. My favorite were the onroad TC3 electric and nitro cars. Now I have grown into NASA time trials with a bmw. They are still floating around in his attic. I need to reintroduce them to my kid in a few years.

Pics are not of my old cars just some to compare to what i had.

Vehicles
      Jaguar XJR, Audi Q5, Honda Element SC
      08-10-2020 10:41 PM #7
      My last RC car was a Tamiya Frog from the 80's

08-10-2020 10:54 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Had an RC10, RC10T, HPI RS4 Rally
      It's funny, I slammed my RC10T because my buddies had RS4 Rally's and I wanted to play too. Eventually got an RS4 Rally also (I think that's what they were?) but I was never a great driver and all that buying faster cars did was ensure I broke more stuff at each race. I quickly learned that the hobby stores held the races for free because they were going to sell $500 in repair parts after every night of racing.

10. Member
      08-11-2020 12:17 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6GURU View Post
      My last RC car was a Tamiya Frog from the 80's

My first one also...with a VW Beatle "Baja" body on it. Was so RAD!
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      08-11-2020 01:05 AM #10
      I had some cheap toys, and an HPI RS4 with the little gas engine that was super fast and dangerous. By the time I had the HPI, I already had a drivers license and sort of realized that any money I was spending towards that was money that wasn't going towards real cars. I ran enough tanks through it to burn off the original tires and break the primer pump on top of the gas tank, and then I sold it on ebay.

(if your HPI RS4 has a yellow Camaro body with sweet black racing stripes- it might be my old one!)
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

12. Junior Member
      08-11-2020 01:39 AM #11
      arrma typhon 3s. love it.

13. Member
      08-11-2020 02:14 AM #12
      I've had quite a few, my latest build is a crawler:

Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

Vehicles
      '87 Porsche 944S, '87 Audi 80 1.9E, '10 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost
      08-11-2020 04:37 AM #13
      I used to restore older Tamiyas, had quite a liking for the TA02 and FF01 chassis. Have sold everything a few years ago though.

I've been eyeing those crawlers though, they look fun.
      '87 Porsche 944S
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E
      '10 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost
      Instagram: @bastienbochmann

Vehicles
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      08-11-2020 09:06 AM #14
      I never had RC cars as a kid and just recently (a few weeks ago) picked up a Bezgar 4x4 off Amazon to match the one my Brother-In-Law got so that we can race around. These things are a blast, and even at the $100 level you can get some nice balance of features, speed and durability! It's great out of the box, but I am already looking into stuff like LSD's and metal axle upgrades.

As an auto enthusiast, it is fun to play with suspension settings and see how it effects over & understeer in throttle on/off situations. We put a Go-Pro on it for a while, and the higher center of gravity really exaggerates the handling in a fun way. Spray some water on the driveway and it's endless AWD donuts! And we have a bunch of mini cones that make for an autocross course in the cul-de-sac.

So yeah, RC cars are fun!

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '01 Golf GTI & '14 Corsa
      08-11-2020 11:58 AM #15
      Back in 2008 I started with a Tamiya TT-01 then over the years hopped to a Vaterra V100, then a Traxxas Stampede 4x4, then Team Durango DETC410 then to a Hpi Savage XL 5.9 which I converted to electric after a year of nitro. Over a period of 3 years ended up making that Hpi Savage bulletproof, I've had it bulletproof for 2 years and hasn't broke. Wheel nuts came off occasionally but its completely bulletproof now. Thing does wheelies on demand even with a center diff. It literally doesn't break, I've jumped it from rooftops and crashed into trees at high speed. Bulletproof!

I honestly think I may have spent over 2-3 grand easily on the Hpi Savage alone over a period of 5 years.... Oh well, was a teenager back then

I also picked up a Team Losi Racing 8ight-e Truggy 3.0 3 years ago. Barely used it tho

Here is a size comparision of the Losi and Savage next to my stock 1.8T air filter box, the Savage is huge!

I am selling them both as I could use the money for my MK4 Golf 1.8T as I don't use them anymore although I would be sad to see them go. I could use the cash.

If anyone would be interested in these two rigs, let me know! They're for sale!

I live in europe so shipping the States would have to be considered (if buyer is located in states)

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-11-2020 12:01 PM #16
      I've been an off-and-on RC nerd for most of my life. It's a fun mix of tech, vehicles, driving, and goofing off... a nice little side hobby to play with.

The current fleet is a cheap ECX Barrage to bash around the yard (and let my kiddo bash around the yard), and my moderately modded Axial crawler.

Last edited by Pnuu; 08-11-2020 at 12:03 PM.

18. Member
      08-11-2020 12:07 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post
      I used to restore older Tamiyas, had quite a liking for the TA02 and FF01 chassis. Have sold everything a few years ago though.

Crawlers are great because they're so slow you generally don't break anything as long as you don't let the wheels bind (the motors and gearing make them so torquey they can snap axles). The only thing I keep breaking are body posts from rolling mine over all the time.
      Current: 2007 Mazda MX5 5MT | 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT | 1991 Toyota Pickup 5MT
      Previous: 1989 Volvo 240 5MT | 1991 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V6 5MT | 1985 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE 5MT | 1996 Subaru Outback 5MT | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 6MT | 1986 Toyota MR2 5MT

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-11-2020 12:18 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      Crawlers are great because they're so slow you generally don't break anything as long as you don't let the wheels bind (the motors and gearing make them so torquey they can snap axles). The only thing I keep breaking are body posts from rolling mine over all the time.
      I'll second this, just be careful to avoid dumping the truck off the side of a 10' tall ledge onto rocks below.

I run my slipper clutch a hair loose to try saving the drivetrain. Low low gearing + 550 5 slot 12t + 3S = POWAH.

Some guys want the speed and jumps, which is super fun. But if you enjoy slow technical driving and finding lines through extremely difficult terrain, crawlers are rad.

Vehicles
      Tercel - e90335i - ZX6R
      08-11-2020 12:47 PM #19
      Tamiya Tundra

Tamiya Tundra by Himmat Rama, on Flickr

Last edited by hrama803; 08-11-2020 at 12:51 PM.

08-11-2020 01:01 PM #20
      I've only had a few, but the last one I had I saved every penny I could find to purchase. I had to have it, it was AWD

Man I wish I still had it, such a cool little buggy.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

22. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      08-11-2020 01:31 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      It's funny, I slammed my RC10T because my buddies had RS4 Rally's and I wanted to play too. Eventually got an RS4 Rally also (I think that's what they were?) but I was never a great driver and all that buying faster cars did was ensure I broke more stuff at each race. I quickly learned that the hobby stores held the races for free because they were going to sell $500 in repair parts after every night of racing.
      Oh yeah, they're money pits especially if you're rough on your toys, which I tend to be.

Worst money pit hobby for me was RC helicopters. Went from cheap $20 mall copters to $150 indoor choppers, to $300 collective pitch bad boys thinking that these were pretty nuts:

Then I went certifiably insane and bought one of these:

That was a fun hobby. Still have the chopper. Haven't flown it in years and I don't feel comfortable flying it. Need to buy a few smaller ones to work my way up to it again. I was nice to that chopper though. It was too expensive to crash. It also had two 6 cell, 5000 mAh LiPo's wired in series, and it pulled 160 amps continuous and went 100 mph, so it was enough of an adrenaline rush.
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 08-11-2020 at 01:34 PM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-11-2020 01:41 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Oh yeah, they're money pits especially if you're rough on your toys, which I tend to be.

Worst money pit hobby for me was RC helicopters. Went from cheap $20 mall copters to $150 indoor choppers, to $300 collective pitch bad boys thinking that these were pretty nuts:

Then I went certifiably insane and bought one of these:

That was a fun hobby. Still have the chopper. Haven't flown it in years and I don't feel comfortable flying it. Need to buy a few smaller ones to work my way up to it again. I was nice to that chopper though. It was too expensive to crash. It also had two 6 cell, 5000 mAh LiPo's wired in series, and it pulled 160 amps continuous and went 100 mph, so it was enough of an adrenaline rush.
      Oh jeez, I forgot about my foray into helis. I had the same route and ended up in a full 3D collective pitch 400 heli that scared the heck out of me. I then realized that I really wasn't as skilled as I thought I was, and sold them.

24. Member
      08-11-2020 02:26 PM #23
      My son is 9 and for his birthday last year he wanted a rock crawler. So we got a Redcat Everest 7 Pro for him. It's been nice, but it sure likes to break. The first thing that needed more than a put it together again fix was he cracked a steering arm mount on I would imagine a rock, so I got the aluminum replacements. Then he dislocated a front shock from the top mount and in the process lost the hardware. Easy fix but he broke an inner link/locator bar end knuckle as well. I actually just got it back running and now it's popping a front CV joint out of the socket. AT least that doesn't require parts.

I was looking at a Traxxas TRX-4 and that thing's CV joints have a 2 pins in a cross configuration. Much better. The Redcat is a single hinged ball joint, it doesn't even pin in two slots. But is is also $100 cheaper heh. I want a TRX-4 for myself but I am intrigued by the Element Sendero. I always wanted a Team Associated product as a lad... It has real universal joints for the half shafts...

25. Member
      08-11-2020 02:28 PM #24
      I had an HPI NMT at one point. Hence the end of my name.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 DBP Si
      08-11-2020 03:03 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr.AK View Post

FF01 was my jam for a time. Here's the Tom's Levin i had (taken with a film camera!)

i was a dumb kid and tossed a hot motor into it and turned it into an understeering, burnout nightmare. it was pretty nice to drive with a stock motor. also kickstarted my love of building Tamiya products, the kits are so well done and the quality is just satisfying as hell.

i had a "gold chassis" first gen RC10 that i cut my teeth on, an RC10GT, and an RC10B2 before i dumped it all after realizing i couldn't afford to race RC stuff and do full-size car stuff at the same time. it was great fun just an insane black hole of spending to keep up with the latest battery, charger, and tire tech as CAD-developed chassis and suspensions started to change the game really quickly. i enjoyed the nitro truck the most, just for the pure spectacle of it.

currently have an Axial SCX10 Deadbolt "for the kid", which is really fun to keep around the office and find stuff to climb when i'm taking a break.

i'd love to grab a stock class stadium truck and go race it with my son at our local track.
      @go_scott_go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast