Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Accord in immaculate condition

1. Member
      08-16-2020 05:59 PM #1
      On Daddy Dougs site, forgot how cool i thought the flip ups were back in 1986
      https://carsandbids.com/auctions/350...ccord-dx-sedan

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      17 Golf Alltrack S, 08 Yukon XL
      08-16-2020 06:20 PM #2
      This falls under, just because something is immaculate, doesn't make it special. A 98hp Accord DX with roll ups? Wake me up when you have an LXi or even an LX...ideally with that awesome Honda stick shift.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      08-16-2020 06:34 PM #3
      This is a cool survivor (way too much Armor All inside, tho) - but, yeah, the LX-i with a stick is about a million percent better (SE-i even more so). The carb'd Honda engines of this era are temperamental when old (50 million vacuum hoses and complicated carbs) and the Hondamatic leaves a lot to be desired. Ours always shook the dashboard when it banged the 1-2 shift.

The DX/LX was okay with a stick but the automatic was just terrible in this generation (really killed performance). I had a base '84 sedan with a stick and it was great to drive (after I had the carb rebuilt).
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

5. Member
      08-16-2020 06:39 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
      This falls under, just because something is immaculate, doesn't make it special. A 98hp Accord DX with roll ups? Wake me up when you have an LXi or even an LX...ideally with that awesome Honda stick shift.
      Dont be so picky haha j/k

For me at least cool to see, though yea with the at its probably slower than just about any modern day econobox

Vehicles
      Civic/Civic Si/Civic Allroad
      08-16-2020 06:42 PM #5
      My uncle bought a mint, red LX-i with a stick in ~2005 from some older lady whose husband had passed away and it was just collecting dust in the garage. Too bad this one's missing a pedal.

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-16-2020 07:04 PM #6
      Speaking of mint, 80s and 90s hondas, whatever happened to that one dude who used to always find the minetest old Hondas? Rob. was his name IIRC?

Also this LX-i that just sold was pretty cool, also an auto though unfortunately...

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rbe...da-accord-lx-i
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      08-16-2020 07:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by elite.mafia View Post
      Speaking of mint, 80s and 90s hondas, whatever happened to that one dude who used to always find the minetest old Hondas? Rob. was his name IIRC?
      Banned (racist posts IIRC)
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      08-16-2020 08:08 PM #8
      https://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/d/19...177502424.html

This hatch looks amazing especially for the price. I just know I’d get bored with it.

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring, 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT, 2013 Ford Escape SE
      08-16-2020 08:31 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      ...way too much Armor All inside, tho
      I think this is actually olive oil. You can put it on your dashboard or grease up a Slip-n-Slide when the faucet is broken.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      08-16-2020 11:34 PM #10
      My mom bought one of these new in 1989, an LX but in the the same blue on blue combo, and put 215K miles on it in five years doing sales calls around the Northeast with it. Though I was a kid at the time, I still remember it vividly. It was a great car for our family.
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      08-16-2020 11:46 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post
      My mom bought one of these new in 1989, an LX but in the the same blue on blue combo, and put 215K miles on it in five years doing sales calls around the Northeast with it. Though I was a kid at the time, I still remember it vividly. It was a great car for our family.
      Except for the automatic transmission, my mom bought this exact car in the summer of 89. Same color, same DX trim, and the only extras were AC and the pass side mirror. I think her dealer put dark blue pinstripes on it, which they tried to charge her for. No radio, no sunroof, crank windows and manual locks. The damn thing didn't even come with floor mats, but cruise control was standard.

It wasn't quick, but the 5 speed manual was one of the BOAT. I think the only better manuals I've ever experienced were NA-NC Miatas (haven't driven an ND yet), and a friend's '88 BWW 328 vert. Maybe the RX-8 that I got to drive once. But man, Honda made a sweet, sweet rower.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

Vehicles
      2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch
      08-17-2020 12:03 AM #12
      I absolutely love Honda/Acura styling from the late 80s and early to mid 90s.

Do you guys remember the 500,000 mile Acura Legend that they owner made an excel sheet for with all service records? I don't know how well kept it was from it's old owner, but I do know that it was professionally detailed and rehabbed (leather interior overhauled and other various maintenance items were completed). It was even placed in an Acura dealer for awhile.

Those Legends and RLs looked soooo good. I remember in the 6th grade, our bus would pass by the staff lot and my teacher had a 1996 Legend that for some reason I would day dream about... I think if I had the extra money laying around, I could see myself buying a nice condition one just to have.

14. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      08-17-2020 07:17 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      This is a cool survivor (way too much Armor All inside, tho) - but, yeah, the LX-i with a stick is about a million percent better (SE-i even more so). The carb'd Honda engines of this era are temperamental when old (50 million vacuum hoses and complicated carbs) and the Hondamatic leaves a lot to be desired. Ours always shook the dashboard when it banged the 1-2 shift.

The DX/LX was okay with a stick but the automatic was just terrible in this generation (really killed performance). I had a base '84 sedan with a stick and it was great to drive (after I had the carb rebuilt).
      Those carburetors were incredibly complicated and it would be extremely tough to find someone who knows them well nowadays. They had what seemed like a dozen little check balls, in several different sizes. There was a special enriched barrel for the extra intake valve/chamber for the CVCC setup, but the main part ran lean. We sold a lot of Weber replacement carb kits, but because of the engine setup I don’t think they really ran well on them since they couldn’t isolate the CVCC chamber like the Keihin carb could. Those original carbs worked quite well, but when they got old they were finicky if you didn’t know what you were doing. Usually people were advised to rebuild them on the car so there was no chance of turning them over and spilling the check balls everywhere!

TL,DR. Give me an injected Honda of the era any day!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2020 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      08-17-2020 07:59 AM #14
      That was my drivers ed car back in 1987. All the other kids got ****ty Omnis, and K-Cars, but we lucked out.
      It was a really nice car(I don't remember the trim level).

Vehicles
      ‘18 Accord, ‘94 Miata
      08-17-2020 08:16 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by tampaSi View Post
      my dad had an 89 DX when I was growing up, and just like you despite being a child at the time I remember that car vividly. He put 200,000 miles on it and not one thing went wrong with it. It’s part of what got me into Hondas.

08-17-2020 11:53 AM #16
      My parents had a 89 Accord as well... SOHC 12V carb with Hondamatic. It was slow but the pop up headlights were rad.

The thing I really missed about these 3rd gen Accord was the plush velour interior... they were really high quality stuff and the seats held their shape even now. Also it had 5 different interior colors... black, gray, beige, red, and blue. You don't see that anymore.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      08-17-2020 03:33 PM #17
      What a waste to put it on CandB - that's a potential $50K on BaT.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      08-17-2020 03:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      What a waste to put it on CandB - that's a potential $50K on BaT.
      SHHHHHHHHH! Or they'll come for you, too! It's too late for me but you can still save yourself!

"First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      08-17-2020 06:22 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      SHHHHHHHHH! Or they'll come for you, too! It's too late for me but you can still save yourself!

LOL!!

I'm thinking I never should have donated my 2000 Honda Odyssey - must be someone out there chasing their memories with an extra $40K burning a hole in their pocket.

Vehicles
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      08-17-2020 06:29 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by StL2.5 View Post

Do you guys remember the 500,000 mile Acura Legend that they owner made an excel sheet for with all service records? I don't know how well kept it was from it's old owner, but I do know that it was professionally detailed and rehabbed (leather interior overhauled and other various maintenance items were completed). It was even placed in an Acura dealer for awhile.

Those Legends and RLs looked soooo good. I remember in the 6th grade, our bus would pass by the staff lot and my teacher had a 1996 Legend that for some reason I would day dream about... I think if I had the extra money laying around, I could see myself buying a nice condition one just to have.

Wait, it just occurred to me that this is a prelude.

Vehicles
      gray hare.
      08-17-2020 06:31 PM #21
      Thing isn’t even broke in yet.

Vehicles
      '87 Porsche 944S, '87 Audi 80 1.9E, '10 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost
      08-17-2020 06:31 PM #22
      I absolutely love love love love this generation of Accord.

Also, BLEH to all people not calling it special. I love it when something lower spec like this survives, because most people deem it not worth saving and would rather only save the higher spec or sporty models.

It's such a shame that we got ****ty fixed headlights here in Europe. WHY not give us flip ups? Ahhhhhhhhh! I'd totally rock one of these if I didn't have to import one which makes it unreasonably expensive.

'87 Porsche 944S
      '87 Audi 80 1.9E
      '10 Ford Mondeo Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost
      Instagram: @bastienbochmann

Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      08-17-2020 06:53 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by SebTheDJ View Post
      Wait, it just occurred to me that this is a prelude.
      It's certainly not a Prelude... It's way bigger...
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

25. Member
      08-17-2020 07:08 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      LOL!!

I'm thinking I never should have donated my 2000 Honda Odyssey - must be someone out there chasing their memories with an extra $40K burning a hole in their pocket.
      Not old enough, if you had a civic wagovan 4wd someone would be willing to part ridiculous money if super clean

26. Member
      08-17-2020 07:10 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by StL2.5 View Post

If thats Tysons car he still has it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast