Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New owner - 2017 Passat SE

Vehicles
      2017 Passat SE RB ____________ 2018 Tiguan SEL PW
      08-21-2020 07:59 PM #1
      I always seem to make this thread when I get a new VW. It is a fun trip down memory lane for me. This is VW # 17 unless I am forgetting one or two.

My first VW was a 1998 GTi vr6. It was an awesome car. Notice how cool I thought I was when I got it 18 years ago...

It was totaled by a red light runner. Next in line was a 2005 Jetta GLS that I got new that I don't have pictures of. I let my girlfriend at the time have the car and I got myself a 2003 GTi vr6.

The 2003 was an awesome car. Really enjoyed every minute I owned that thing. However, I had an opportunity to sell it and get myself into a R32 and couldn't pass that up, as it was the halo VW of the era.

I owned a 1987 Scirocco 16v while I had the R32, mainly as a mileage dump to keep the R32 nice, but it was a really fun car too. Unique, quirky, and fun. It wasn't that much of a looker, but I really enjoyed it as well. I blew a rear main seal and proceeded to piss oil all over a brand new clutch I installed. I sold the car shortly there after for next to nothing to a friend of mine.

The R32 was special. I owned it in my mid 20s and had a lot of fun in it and with my friends. I needed money to cover medical bills that came up and decided to sell it and got into a 2004 Jetta GLi.

The 04 GLi was a special car for me. To this day it might be my favorite car that I've owned. I met my wife when I had it and just had a ton of fun with it through the years I owned it. The APR tune and blowoff noises made that thing a ton of fun, and to this day it's a really beautiful car to look at.

While I had the GLi, I bought a 1989 GTi 16v as a project car. I had a ton of fun with the MK2. I did a lot to the car and really had fun working on it and take pride in what I did with it. I bought a 1987 Jetta GLi as an interior donor so I could put Recaros in the GTi.

donor interior:

I rebuilt the seats with some custom covers I had stitched up and sourced some foam to rebuild the seats from overseas.

In the end, that car really came together into something special. I spent 3 years building that car into what I had always wanted. (Pictured with the CC, my wife's Jetta, and my super moto KLX400).

I decided it was time to move on from the MK4 GLi, and found myself a 2012 CC R-Line. That car did everything it was supposed to well. It looked awesome, cruised awesome, and provided smiles. I loved the CC.

Well, I decided to sell the MK2. A MK3 came up for sale from a friend that was too good to pass up. It was an 8v, but it was the car that got me to fall in love with VWs and I couldn't pass it up. A 1998 Porcelain Blue GTi 8v.

I owned the car for a few years and used it to commute in. It ran like a champ and never gave me trouble up to nearly 180K miles. I installed some custom Recaro seats I sourced from VWVortex and the BBS RAs that were on the MK2, but thats about it. What a great car it was.

By this time my wife decided the 2012 Jetta SE was a bit outdated, so we got her a 2014 GLi to replace it.

I decided it was time for a big jump from the CC and get into the new halo VW. I got myself a 2016 Golf R, the perfect stable mate for the MK3.

We also just received news that our family was expanding with the coming of our daughter, so my wife's 2014 GLi was traded in for a 2018 Tiguan SEL to perform mommy duties.

I also picked up a 2019 Jetta S on a super cheap lease to keep the miles off of the Golf R and promptly got ride of the hideous wheels with some sourced off of a MK7 GTi.

Well, shortly thereafter we decided it was time to move on from the MK3. It was sad to see it go, it was a really special car.

The Golf R also made little sense with our family expanding and our life changing substantially. We had a cross country move in the works, a new baby, an no need for the hot hatch, so we traded it for a 2016 Jetta GLI so my wife and I could both enjoy a more practical fun car. It was probably the most mint used car I have ever owned. The interior and exterior were flawless, I couldn't believe it was a lease turn in.

Well, we made the move across the country, I drove all three cars out here one at a time. (The Jetta S, Jetta GLI, and Tiguan.)

Now, the baby is nearly a year old, my commute dropped significantly, and we really have zero need for 3 cars. I decided it was time to get something better suited for the little one in the back. I was contemplating a GSW or a Passat, and the Passat just offered the room we were looking for. I would have opted for an R line in most circumstances, but they almost always lack the options, and the rear AC vent was critical because of my daughter in the back seat.

I found a really clean 2017 Passat SE w/ tech near by and traded the Jetta S and Jetta GLI in for it.

I'm very happy with the car. I only wanted Reef Blue (I'm very partial to nice metallic blues) if I was going to get an SE, and only silver or white for an R line. Also very glad I found the grey interior on the reef blue exterior, it looks great together.

No real plans for the car, just some ceramic tint for the time being. A tune, a mild drop and wheels might come down the road. I'll probably also tinker with some LED interior lights and OEM plus stuff like the trunk hinge covers. Monster mats and an OEM sunshade are on their way, but for now it is just going to be a nice clean daddy-mobile.

1+3+3=7

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Mk2 GLI VR6, BT Mk4 GTI, B6 cabriolet
      08-21-2020 10:06 PM #2
      I remember seeing that mk2 gti in Nappa if I’m not mistaking.... on the previous Dubs. I bought my wife a 13 Passat tdi SEL today also for her daily 80 mile commute.

Did you live somewhere behind the Outlets?

-Judd

Vehicles
      08-22-2020 07:19 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBBED-OUT View Post
      I remember seeing that mk2 gti in Nappa if I’m not mistaking.... on the previous Dubs. I bought my wife a 13 Passat tdi SEL today also for her daily 80 mile commute.

Did you live somewhere behind the Outlets?

-Judd
      hah, small world. I didn't but my best friend did. I was over right next to Alston park when I had the MK2.
      1+3+3=7

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 VW Passat SEL TSI
      08-23-2020 08:55 AM #4
      What a fun ride! I had a Scirocco like yours, also red except it was an 8v.

Vehicles
      2018 Passat GT
      08-25-2020 04:05 PM #5
      Impressive array of V-dubs and great pictures too. All that trading would make me dizzy lol.
      2018 Passat GT
      2012 Tiguan S

Past: 1969 VW Beetle, 1972 VW Fastback, 1974 VW Dasher, 1979 Audi Fox GTI, 1982 Audi 5000 turbo

8. Junior Member
      08-28-2020 02:30 PM #6
      Great Post!
      Thanks for taking the time to post all of those cool older VW's.

Took me back in time for a minute!

Welcome to the Old-Man Passat Club.

I just came out of an 18 S4, so I feel your pain. But you've had the opportunity to own some really fun cars over the years, and heck - how many CAN you drive in a lifetime??

There's a guy down the street from me, and he's a Vintage VW driver. Always several GTi's in his drive, and more when his buddies visit.
      The BESt ONE thus far has been a Mint cond. Corrado!

I actually stopped and gawked at THAT one!

gr

9. Junior Member
      08-28-2020 05:14 PM #7
      great post! with nice cars!

Vehicles
      08-28-2020 09:56 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by UberDanno View Post
      What a fun ride! I had a Scirocco like yours, also red except it was an 8v.

Quote Originally Posted by KCJeep View Post
      Impressive array of V-dubs and great pictures too. All that trading would make me dizzy lol.
      i love car shopping and trying new cars. not sure how long i will hang onto the passat, but i dont intend on getting rid of it anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider990 View Post
      Great Post!
      Thanks for taking the time to post all of those cool older VW's.

Took me back in time for a minute!

Welcome to the Old-Man Passat Club.

I just came out of an 18 S4, so I feel your pain. But you've had the opportunity to own some really fun cars over the years, and heck - how many CAN you drive in a lifetime??

There's a guy down the street from me, and he's a Vintage VW driver. Always several GTi's in his drive, and more when his buddies visit.
      The BESt ONE thus far has been a Mint cond. Corrado!

I actually stopped and gawked at THAT one!

gr
      nice, one of the few VWs i haven't owned that i'd really like to have one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by arrigo View Post
      great post! with nice cars!

thanks man!

hopefully i'll have a chance to detail and clay the passat this weekend, as well as a few OEM+ things i've been gathering.
      1+3+3=7

Vehicles
      09-12-2020 09:55 PM #9
      Gave the car a wash and detail finally. Didn't have time for clay and wax, but it'll happen here soon enough.

First mod - dad mode 1.0.

Put in some Monster Mats.

Installed the trunk hinge covers. (Tip to anyone who gets these, remove the original wire bundle holders before installing the covers.)

Last edited by jreed1337; 09-12-2020 at 09:58 PM.
      1+3+3=7

Vehicles
      2018 Passat GT
      09-14-2020 01:45 PM #10
      Very sharp. Love the color combo on it.
      2018 Passat GT
      2012 Tiguan S

Past: 1969 VW Beetle, 1972 VW Fastback, 1974 VW Dasher, 1979 Audi Fox GTI, 1982 Audi 5000 turbo

Vehicles
      2017 Passat SEL Prem, 2014 VW Beetle TDI-DSG, 2017 Audi A3 2.0T Q
      09-16-2020 03:59 PM #11
      Fellow Reef Blue owner here but in SEL Premium - Love the color had to drive over 200miles to pick mine up. Enjoy your new ride.