Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenosha Rioting

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      08-28-2020 02:59 PM #1
      Are we allowed to talk about this?

In response to westsideseal regarding earlier video:

This was earlier in the evening. Bald raging guy is Rosenbaum (head shot)
      Skateboard guy is there too.

Scroll down six images.

Warning: volume down

https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosas11/st...74730966659072

Halfway through, he drops whatever it is he eventually throws at Rittenhouse then returns to pick it up.

So sometime between this & the later video, something happened.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      08-28-2020 03:27 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.DOH. View Post
      Are we allowed to talk about this?

In response to westsideseal regarding earlier video:

This was earlier in the evening. Bald raging guy is Rosenbaum (head shot)
      Skateboard guy is there too.

Scroll down six images.

Warning: volume down

https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosas11/st...74730966659072

Halfway through, he drops whatever it is he eventually throws at Rittenhouse then returns to pick it up.

So sometime between this & the later video, something happened.
      We could talk about it, if we were civilized. Which we know from history that we know that's not going to happen.

I've watched a handful of videos and a little commentary about the incident. A bunch of wrong was done by a bunch of people, and this was the result.

Like what one guy said, "We weren't there, we don't know exactly what happened." Sure, you can spout your beliefs and opinions on why the kid or the mob was wrong. Hindsight judgement has some pretty bad optics when all the facts aren't in - or agreed upon.

For example, CNN.com published that the kid was running from protesters, tripped, and shot at the protesters from the ground. Nothing about him being attacked/subdued by the mob of protesters.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      08-28-2020 03:36 PM #3
      This is sad. I'm all for a movement that can benefit millions in the long term but this rioting and looting is simply counter productive. I think the actual message and meaning is lost when some extremists push the boundaries of a protest into this sort of rioting. There still is a significant amount of racism and I doubt these sort of actions make a difference for those who should change their views.

I'm not sure what the answer is though I do hope things change.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08-28-2020 03:39 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      For example, CNN.com published that the kid was running from protesters, tripped, and shot at the protesters from the ground. Nothing about him being attacked/subdued by the mob of protesters.
      Indeed.

I have the news on as background noise.

All that is ever mentioned is a 17yr old killed protesters with an AR15.

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      08-28-2020 03:39 PM #5
      "This is Biden's America" is the dumbest thing I have heard this year, and it's not even September.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08-28-2020 03:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      "This is Biden's America" is the dumbest thing I have heard this year, and it's not even September.
      Hey. You!

Stay on topic!!

Vehicles
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      08-28-2020 03:43 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

Vehicles
      Old/German/Broken
      08-28-2020 03:53 PM #8
      IMO the issue here is:

Why is someone from Illinois concerned about property damage in Kenosha?

Why was this someone able to shoot 3 people and walk PAST the police without being murdered when:

Philando Castile
      Eric Garner
      Rayshard Brooks
      Walter Scott
      Tamir Rice

Unfortunately I could go on.

Black lives matter. America needs to act like it.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

10. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      08-28-2020 04:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      This is sad. I'm all for a movement that can benefit millions in the long term but this rioting and looting is simply counter productive. I think the actual message and meaning is lost when some extremists push the boundaries of a protest into this sort of rioting. There still is a significant amount of racism and I doubt these sort of actions make a difference for those who should change their views.

Agreed, and have been saying much of the same for years. During any civilized and peaceful protest...my personal thoughts on "the movement" go right out the window when it turns violent and criminal and I see, for example a 70 yr old man get his face smashed and jaw broken by violent rioters (who don't live anywhere near Kenosha) burning down a mattress store that he's trying to protect. Which actually happened the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      It's a calculated talking point by the right that actually works. Attributing Biden and his future administration as being friendly to those that capitulate to the rioters and looters is effective. Both Kenosha and Wisconsin were practically 50/50 in their 2016 election results, an event like this can be helpful for Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/26/u...sin-trump.html

Trump won Kenosha County by 250 votes, and chaos like this can get a lot of people on the fence to vote for him. See the article for examples.

08-28-2020 04:13 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post

It's up to us as reasonable and informed citizens to not ignore the validity of the issue being protested just because the protests contain a destructive element. You've got 99 people peacefully marching and 1 throws a brick through a window and that's an excuse to ignore the cause? It's completely unrealistic, and IMO just a lazy excuse to ignore a serious issue. It also tells people loud and clear how easily they can turn sentiment against the cause by agitating.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      08-28-2020 04:14 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      IMO the issue here is:

Why is someone from Illinois concerned about property damage in Kenosha?
      Rittenhouse Lives in Antioch Il.
      Antioch Illinois is 37 minutes from Kenosha.

The guy that survived (the one who pulled a pistol) lives 52 minutes away in West Allis Wi.

Why is he "protesting" there?

Why was this someone able to shoot 3 people and walk PAST the police without being murdered when:

Philando Castile
      Eric Garner
      Rayshard Brooks
      Walter Scott
      Tamir Rice
      From what I can tell, Rittenhouse was compliant the entire time.

(that doesn't excuse the Garner Scott & Martin etc..killings)

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      08-28-2020 04:23 PM #12
      Hey. You!

Stay on topic!!

I mean, at least wait until he's president to make that statement. Right now, the only thing he's responsible for is that BaSeMeNt He'S HiDiNg In..

If this is anyone's America, it's Sheriff Beth's.

14. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2021 Audi RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      08-28-2020 04:33 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      IMO the issue here is:

This is my issue. And the answer is blatantly obvious. As a white man, it disgusts me. Like, to the point where I was sick to my stomach Wednesday. Any of my countless POC friends would have been shot without hesitation. That's what makes me sick.

Deeper rooted issues like, why a 17 year child would act like this, is another issue, but not as much in the open, but continues to show how we are not helping our future generations well enough.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

08-28-2020 04:41 PM #14
      Rittenhouse Lives in Antioch Il.
      Antioch Illinois is 37 minutes from Kenosha.

The guy that survived (the one who pulled a pistol) lives 52 minutes away in West Allis Wi.

Why is he "protesting" there?
      I can see the tactic now is to push the angle that the people killed were bad guys who deserved to be killed, but I think a far more important aspect of this is the idea that people think it's appropriate to arm themselves and travel to protests for the purpose of using force against people to protect property they have no ownership interest in. Beyond that, that police officers actually support and encourage that behavior.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      08-28-2020 04:48 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by tbvvw View Post
      Agreed, and have been saying much of the same for years. During any civilized and peaceful protest...my personal thoughts on "the movement" go right out the window when it turns violent and criminal and I see, for example a 70 yr old man get his face smashed and jaw broken by violent rioters (who don't live anywhere near Kenosha) burning down a mattress store that he's trying to protect. Which actually happened the other day.

It's a calculated talking point by the right that actually works. Attributing Biden and his future administration as being friendly to those that capitulate to the rioters and looters is effective. Both Kenosha and Wisconsin were practically 50/50 in their 2016 election results, an event like this can be helpful for Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/26/u...sin-trump.html

Trump won Kenosha County by 250 votes, and chaos like this can get a lot of people on the fence to vote for him. See the article for examples.
      JFC, I know you are one of the densest materials on the forum, but you never miss an opportunity to show it.
      signatures are annoying, right?

17. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2021 Audi RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      08-28-2020 04:49 PM #16
      Now the Mr Beth is defending the kid walking away.

Kyle Rittenhouse, who is charged with shooting and killing two men during this week’s violent demonstrations in Kenosha, will remain in Lake County for another month after a judge on Friday allowed a delay in the court process that could send him to Wisconsin to face the allegations.

Meanwhile, Kenosha police Chief Daniel Miskinis on Friday defended police after they allowed Rittenhouse, 17, of Antioch, to leave the scene of Tuesday’s deadly shooting in the protest-wracked city even though the teen was holding a rifle and had his hands up in what many interpret as a gesture of surrender.

In another development, an attorney for Jacob Blake told CNN that handcuffs restraining Blake have been removed and that warrants against him have been vacated.

Blake was shot by Kenosha police on Sunday, and it was during protests over that shooting during which Rittenhouse allegedly shot three people, two of them fatally. Police have been criticized for failing to apprehend Rittenhouse sooner.

“There were a lot of people in the area, a lot of people with weapons, and unfortunately, a lot of gunfire,” Miskinis said at a news conference Friday. “What the officers were ... driving into was a shots fired complaint, not a shooting, not a person down complaint. We have had many of those over the course of this unfortunate event.

“They’re responding to that, they see someone walking toward them with their hands up,” Miskinis said. “That, too, isn’t out of the ordinary given all the events going on. ... We have armed individuals out protesting, or counterprotesting, or simply walking around exercising their right, (who) will put their hands up. It might have been abnormal two weeks ago. It’s no longer abnormal. There’s nothing to suggest this individual was involved in criminal behavior.”

Judge Paul Novak granted a 30-day continuance during a brief online status hearing on Rittenhouse’s potential extradition to Kenosha County, where he faces a murder charge and several other counts.

The assistant public defender representing him in the extradition case, Jennifer Snyder, asked for the delay as Rittenhouse’s family seeks a private attorney to represent him. His next hearing is scheduled for Sept. 25.

Rittenhouse did not appear at the hearing.

Kenosha County prosecutors on Thursday evening filed charges accusing Rittenhouse of first-degree intentional homicide, first-degree reckless homicide, two counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety, attempted first-degree intentional homicide and possession of a dangerous weapon by a person under 18.

Kyle Rittenhouse, left, with backward cap, walks along Sheridan Road in Kenosha on Aug. 25, 2020, with another armed civilian.
      Kyle Rittenhouse, left, with backward cap, walks along Sheridan Road in Kenosha on Aug. 25, 2020, with another armed civilian. (Adam Rogan/The Journal Times)
      An intentional homicide charge amounts to a first-degree murder charge in Illinois. The reckless homicide charge amounts to a second-degree murder charge here. If convicted of the first-degree intentional homicide charge as an adult, Rittenhouse could face a life sentence. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty.

Rittenhouse is accused of shooting the men Tuesday night as numerous civilians armed with rifles inserted themselves into violent demonstrations that raged for three nights in the city just over the Wisconsin border. The protests, clashes with police and fires followed an officer’s shooting of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, who according to a video appeared to have had his back turned to the cop who fired.

Rittenhouse was arrested as a fugitive Wednesday in Lake County. He is charged in Wisconsin as an adult. Earlier this week, a judge ordered him held without bail at the Lake County juvenile detention facility.

Rittenhouse’s case has become a popular cause in conservative circles, where pundits began defending the white teenager before he had even been charged. At least two defense funds have been launched in his name by politically active groups in recent the days, though it’s unclear if the Rittenhouse family supports either of those efforts.

Court records do not yet indicate that any private lawyer is officially representing Rittenhouse. However, two prominent conservative attorneys began an online fundraising effort on Rittenhouse’s behalf this week, with a website that seeks donations to fight against “the radical left” and the “fake news media.”

Second Amendment organizations also have offered support for the Antioch resident, including one Colorado-based group that has launched another defense fund for him.

In a statement released Friday, the National Foundation for Gun Rights called Rittenhouse a “law-abiding” teenager who had a right to defend himself.

Executive Director Dudley Brown said the organization has not spoken with Rittenhouse’s family and has not had any direct conversations with his lawyers, but it decided to get involved because it wanted to take a stand against the “chaos” happening in cities across the country. Dudley acknowledged Rittenhouse’s case “isn’t perfect,” but he said the defendant has a strong self-defense claim because, he believes, the people Rittenhouse shot pursued him first.

“I don’t think there are many people in America who wouldn’t have felt threatened if you were in that spot with Kyle there.” Brown said.

Brown would not say whether Rittenhouse should have inserted himself in Kenosha’s unrest in the first place. He said from the video he has watched, Rittenhouse knew how to handle a gun and was with adults.

“Whenever we look at cases and decide whether we’re going to jump in, of course we like them to be patently, obviously free of legal problems,” Brown said. “But that’s rarely the case, especially when you’re talking about constitutional rights.”

Records show Rittenhouse has worked as a YMCA lifeguard. His social media postings show that he idolizes police and has participated in programs for aspiring cops.

What we know so far about Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17-year-old accused of murder after fatal Kenosha protest shootings »
      Numerous video clips posted online appear to show Rittenhouse at the scene Tuesday night with a rifle, including several that show shootings and their aftermaths. The videos also indicated that he approached police before the shootings despite being out past curfew and a year too young to carry a gun openly in Wisconsin.

Those videos, along with interviews by Kenosha detectives, are the backbone of the complaint against him.

Rittenhouse came to the demonstrations with a Smith & Wesson AR-15-style .223 caliber rifle with a 30-round magazine, the charges allege.

Video showed Rittenhouse running across the parking lot of an auto dealer where cars had previously been burned, trailed by Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, of Kenosha, prosecutors wrote. Behind Rosenbaum was Richard McGinniss, a videographer at the Daily Caller, a conservative website.

Video showed Rosenbaum seemingly throwing something at Rittenhouse, and investigators later determined it was a plastic bag, prosecutors wrote. Rittenhouse was not hit. Prosecutors wrote that McGinniss told police that “as the defendant was walking, Rosenbaum was trying to get closer to the defendant. When Rosenbaum advanced, the defendant did a ‘juke’ move and started running.”

Rosenbaum appeared to have been unarmed, prosecutors wrote.

Prosecutors wrote that as Rosenbaum and Rittenhouse approached a black car, a loud bang was heard and a male shouted, “F--k you!” As the men were close to one another, four loud bangs sounded and Rosenbaum fell, prosecutors said. McGinniss told police Rosenbaum had tried to grab the gun, prosecutors wrote.

Fledgling militia group put out call to arms in Kenosha and 5,000 people responded. Now it’s banned from Facebook after fatal shootings during protests. »
      Rittenhouse approached Rosenbaum on the ground, and McGinniss took off his shirt and tried to give the wounded man aid, prosecutors wrote. Rittenhouse got on his cellphone, made a call, and audio from one of the videos caught him saying, “I just killed somebody,” the complaint alleges. Investigators learned that call was to a friend, prosecutors wrote.

An autopsy showed Rosenbaum had gunshot wounds to the groin, back, hand and thigh, as well as a graze wound to the forehead, prosecutors wrote. The charge of first-degree reckless homicide stems from that shooting. Rittenhouse is charged with recklessly endangering McGinniss’s safety.

Prosecutors wrote that video shows that after that shooting, Rittenhouse ran north on Sheridan Road with people in pursuit, with some yelling things such as “Hey, he shot him!” and “Get that dude!” Someone swung at him and knocked his hat off before he tripped and fell to the ground, prosecutors wrote.

An unidentified male jumped at Rittenhouse, and he fired at him from the ground, apparently missing, prosecutors alleged.

A man carrying a skateboard and later identified as Anthony Huber, 26, of Silver Lake then approached Rittenhouse as he was still on his back, prosecutors wrote. Huber reached for the gun as the skateboard hit Rittenhouse’s shoulder before the alleged gunman fired one shot, and Huber staggered away and collapsed, prosecutors alleged.

The autopsy showed the bullet hit Huber’s heart and one of his lungs, prosecutors wrote. Huber’s death is the source of the murder charge.

As Rittenhouse was on the ground, a man identified as Gaige Grosskreutz of West Allis approached, prosecutors wrote. After Rittenhouse shot Huber, Grosskreutz ducked, stepped back and put his hands in the air, the complaint alleges. He then moved toward Rittenhouse, who shot him in the arm, prosecutors wrote. Grosskreutz walked off screaming for a medic, prosecutors wrote.

Grosskreutz appeared to be holding a handgun when he was shot, prosecutors wrote. Wisconsin court records do not indicate that Grosskreutz has been charged with any crime. His shooting is the source of the attempted murder charge against Rittenhouse.

The gun charge Rittenhouse faces is a misdemeanor.

Beyond Rittenhouse’s charges, Wisconsin authorities have begun releasing more details of the shooting that sparked the protests, looting and fires.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice on Wednesday night identified the officer who shot Blake seven times as Rusten Sheskey, a seven-year veteran of the Kenosha Police Department. On Friday morning, the agency identified the other police at the scene as officers Vincent Arenas and Brittany Meronek.

The police shooting came about 5 p.m. Sunday as the officers responded to a call from a woman who reported that her boyfriend was present but not supposed to be there, according to the state Justice Department. At the scene, Sheskey and Arenas both unsuccessfully used Tasers, the state Justice Department said in a news release.

In footage shared online, Blake walks from the sidewalk around the front of an SUV to the driver-side door as officers follow him with their guns pointed. As Blake opens the door and leans into the SUV, an officer grabs his shirt from behind and appears to open fire while Blake has his back turned.

The state Justice Department wrote that a knife was recovered from the driver-side floorboard of the vehicle. The department wrote in a statement that, “Mr. Blake admitted that he had a knife in his possession.” It was not clear from the statement whether officers believed the knife posed any threat to officers or anyone else.

Breaking News Newsletter
      As it happens
      Get updates on the coronavirus pandemic and other news as it happens with our breaking email alerts
      ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

Blake’s lawyers and family said Tuesday that he is paralyzed from the waist down and may never walk again. The family has called for peaceful protests.

Blake had been handcuffed to his hospital bed during his entire stay since he was shot by Kenosha police on Sunday, his uncle Justin Blake told the Pioneer Press.

Asked for confirmation Thursday, Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Sgt. David Wright replied:

“I can tell you that Jacob Blake is in custody on felony warrants for prior crimes he committed before the shooting incident. This is how any person with that classification level would be treated while in custody.”

Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers said he was concerned.

“Hell yes. I would have no personal understanding why that would be necessary. Certainly he’s paid a horrific price already being shot seven or eight times in the back. So I can’t imagine why that’s happening,” he said when asked at a Thursday news conference.
      https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...w5e-story.html

**** you. "Its normal now to see people walking down the street armed'

Is it normal that you dont arrest people, or even begin to question a person, who many, many people where yelling "HE JUST SHOT SOMEONE"

Isnt that worth at least stopping and asking the guy? Who clearly had his hands up, knew what he did, Im sure looked like he knew what he did?

Just a giant piece of garbage
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      08-28-2020 04:56 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      I can see the tactic now is to push the angle that the people killed were bad guys who deserved to be killed, but I think a far more important aspect of this is the idea that people think it's appropriate to arm themselves and travel to protests for the purpose of using force against people to protect property they have no ownership interest in.
      I don't necessarily disagree with that.

The 17 year old should have stayed home & his parents should be ashamed.

Keep in mind though, the guy that survived was an hour away & also brought a gun.

Beyond that, that police officers actually support and encourage that behavior.
      That seemed to be the case here.
      I wonder if police in hot zones like this get to the point where they say "sure, if you wanna help, have at it"

As we've discussed before, it's sad this **** detracts from legitimate peaceful protest.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      3 Audis, 1 Honda, 1 GMC
      08-28-2020 04:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      JFC, I know you are one of the densest materials on the forum, but you never miss an opportunity to show it.
      Thanks, I appreciate it. BTW, how did NEC get banned and you didn't...aren't you 2 like peas and carrots? Read the NYT article tell me how I'm dense by agreeing with their POV?

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-28-2020 04:59 PM #19
      The whole thing is a total mess.

Kid had no business being there and no business carrying a gun. He went out looking for a fight, and he got it. That’s not responsible behavior.

OTOH, the dead/wounded sound like the absolute dregs of society and Im not sorry they’re dead.

Play stupid games and win stupid prizes on all sides of this one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

08-28-2020 05:10 PM #20
      Thanks, I appreciate it. BTW, how did NEC get banned and you didn't...aren't you 2 like peas and carrots? Read the NYT article tell me how I'm dense by agreeing with their POV?
      Do you ever have your own POV, or is it just based on whatever happens across your newfeed? The reason it works is because people are dense like you.

Here we have someone who undoubtedly sees himself as well informed and certainly not susceptible to media manipulation, right? We have a civil rights issue going on that's sparked countless protests and some turn to riots. So if someone wants you to shift your focus away from the civil rights issue and see the people protesting for that cause in a negative light, you're admitting that they just need to show you people associated with that movement doing something bad. Clearly you're not the only person that works on, but it's pretty spectacular that not only do you not see how easily manipulated you are, but you seem to be proud of it.

One can hold the opinion that a cause is valid and worth attention and support while also acknowledging that the people who commit violent acts as part of the movement are acting poorly and should be held responsible.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-28-2020 05:15 PM #21
      So sincere question, not trolling, honestly:

Everyone wants to blame Trump blah blah, but has there been a single notable police brutality case recently in a red state, in a red town? I mean Kenosha, blue governor, blue mayor. Why Trump’s fault? Why not the actual local leadership, who oversees these things? Everyone keeps saying “want this to stop get out and vote” but aren’t the leaders in all these places all already blue?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

23. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      08-28-2020 05:21 PM #22
      Sheriff Beth has a strange mindset.
      Last edited by Just Another Sweater; 08-28-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      08-28-2020 05:24 PM #23
      Do you ever have your own POV, or is it just based on whatever happens across your newfeed? The reason it works is because people are dense like you.

Here we have someone who undoubtedly sees himself as well informed and certainly not susceptible to media manipulation, right? We have a civil rights issue going on that's sparked countless protests and some turn to riots. So if someone wants you to shift your focus away from the civil rights issue and see the people protesting for that cause in a negative light, you're admitting that they just need to show you people associated with that movement doing something bad. Clearly you're not the only person that works on, but it's pretty spectacular that not only do you not see how easily manipulated you are, but you seem to be proud of it.

One can hold the opinion that a cause is valid and worth attention and support while also acknowledging that the people who commit violent acts as part of the movement are acting poorly and should be held responsible.
      If a Tucker Carlson/ Sean Hannity snuggie security blanket for cis white conservative men doesn't exist yet I'm going to make millions.
      signatures are annoying, right?

08-28-2020 05:27 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      So sincere question, not trolling, honestly:

Everyone wants to blame Trump blah blah, but has there been a single notable police brutality case recently in a red state, in a red town? I mean Kenosha, blue governor, blue mayor. Why Trump’s fault? Why not the actual local leadership, who oversees these things? Everyone keeps saying “want this to stop get out and vote” but aren’t the leaders in all these places all already blue?
      Anyone who thinks police brutality magically goes away if Trump is voted out doesn't know anything about anything. They're in for a ton of disappointment regardless of what happens in November. On there other hand, for people who are against police brutality, it would be nice to have a President who doesn't encourage it. I'm not sure how much actual control a mayor or city council has over how police interact with the public, especially when cops are protected by their union. Local leadership definitely should be held accountable, so if they aren't doing things in their power to make the situation better, and another candidate would, then change local leadership.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      08-28-2020 06:38 PM #25
      It's up to us as reasonable and informed citizens to not ignore the validity of the issue being protested just because the protests contain a destructive element. You've got 99 people peacefully marching and 1 throws a brick through a window and that's an excuse to ignore the cause? It's completely unrealistic, and IMO just a lazy excuse to ignore a serious issue. It also tells people loud and clear how easily they can turn sentiment against the cause by agitating.
      I'd agree but are reasonable and informed citizens the ones that should change their views? Yes, this is generalizing. Unfortunately, what's reported and gather interest are the riots and destruction left after the protest goes wrong.

Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast