VWVortex.com - On FIRE at 150MPH with NO BRAKES!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Results 101 to 125 of 125

    Thread: On FIRE at 150MPH with NO BRAKES!

    1. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      42,060
      Vehicles
      981 Cayman, '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-10-2020 01:12 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I would think that if something on the harness burned, even if only semi-related, that could easily be enough to lose the ability of a computer controlled transmission to operate. The same holds true of an on-off switch for the ignition.
      exactly. the car has so many computers that the minute a cable fries or something got damaged its lights off.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member SchnellFowVay's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 20th, 2001
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      15,339
      Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      09-10-2020 01:17 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      What's there not to understand the fire probably killed the engine and it died. he was just coasting then.. try shifting a DSG car with the engine off. it doesnt work.
      Was the engine off? It seemed to me that it was running most of the time . . .
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

    4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      42,060
      Vehicles
      981 Cayman, '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-10-2020 01:19 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      Was the engine off? It seemed to me that it was running most of the time . . .
      5:30
      "can you turn the motor on? no, it's dead"

    5. Member SchnellFowVay's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 20th, 2001
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      15,339
      Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      09-10-2020 01:58 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      5:30
      "can you turn the motor on? no, it's dead"
      Good point
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2019
      Posts
      289
      09-10-2020 02:08 PM #105
      Was any reason mentioned why he didn't use the chute?
      Why have it if you don't intend on using it or is it a street cred thing
      Boiler Up!

    7. Member elite.mafia's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2010
      Location
      I95 Northbound
      Posts
      4,029
      Vehicles
      2005 Toyota Celica GT-S
      09-10-2020 02:12 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6.3 View Post
      Was any reason mentioned why he didn't use the chute?
      Why have it if you don't intend on using it or is it a street cred thing
      he had a kill switch on it so he didn't accidentally hit in traffic or something to that extent.
      2zz-ge 6mt trying to rev to mars

    8. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      17,899
      Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-10-2020 02:14 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6.3 View Post
      Was any reason mentioned why he didn't use the chute?
      Why have it if you don't intend on using it or is it a street cred thing
      It's safety pinned, as it should be. The pin is removed before your run at the track. During a run the chute is only held in place by the cable, which is pulled by use of a handle in the car. The parachute then deploys. If the cable no longer secures the chute with the pin in place, it will not open.

    9. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      COVID-19 Ground 0 - USA
      Posts
      16,758
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      09-10-2020 02:17 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      It's safety pinned, as it should be. The pin is removed before your run at the track. During a run the chute is only held in place by the cable, which is pulled by use of a handle in the car. The parachute then deploys. If the cable no longer secures the chute with the pin in place, it will not open.
      Just like fire bottles. We had a "remove before flight" lanyard on our fire bottle pin. One of the things on the checklist before the car hits the track. Someone forgot to re-pin the bottle after the night's event and the guy cleaning the interior accidentally hit the button in the shop. Oops.
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

    10. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      17,899
      Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-10-2020 02:21 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Just like fire bottles. We had a "remove before flight" lanyard on our fire bottle pin. One of the things on the checklist before the car hits the track. Someone forgot to re-pin the bottle after the night's event and the guy cleaning the interior accidentally hit the button in the shop. Oops.
      Back in my drag racing days in a former life my good friend had a seven second car and I used to pack his chute all the time (that sounds bad ).

      Basically there is a nylon bag type thing with four flaps that is secured to the mount. I guess it kind of looks like a flower with four pedals. There is a big spring which is compressed with the chute folded a certain way and then the flaps are folded over the chute and secured with the cable. So when the cable is pulled the spring fires the chute back out.

    11. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      42,060
      Vehicles
      981 Cayman, '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-10-2020 02:26 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time (that sounds bad ).
      i thought we were going to keep it a secret

    12. Member SchnellFowVay's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 20th, 2001
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      15,339
      Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '17 S3, '08 987.1 S, '86 535is 5MT
      09-10-2020 04:24 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time
      This is going in my sig shortly.
      Last edited by SchnellFowVay; 09-10-2020 at 04:27 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I used to pack his chute all the time

    13. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      2,554
      Vehicles
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      09-10-2020 07:39 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I would think that if something on the harness burned, even if only semi-related, that could easily be enough to lose the ability of a computer controlled transmission to operate. The same holds true of an on-off switch for the ignition.
      Modern technology and drive by wire, everything is controlled by computer, the throttle, transmission, steering, brakes, etc.. A little of water or fire and the cars is done.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2019
      Posts
      289
      09-15-2020 02:15 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      It's safety pinned, as it should be. The pin is removed before your run at the track. During a run the chute is only held in place by the cable, which is pulled by use of a handle in the car. The parachute then deploys. If the cable no longer secures the chute with the pin in place, it will not open.


      I didn't hear if he had it pinned or not. Seems silly to leave it pinned if you are going to be doing high speed runs. But all of that stuff is silly/stupid anyway soooo yeah
      Boiler Up!

    15. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      17,899
      Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-15-2020 02:20 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6.3 View Post


      I didn't hear if he had it pinned or not. Seems silly to leave it pinned if you are going to be doing high speed runs. But all of that stuff is silly/stupid anyway soooo yeah
      You're not going to use that ish on the street

    16. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Somewhere close to Lyon Mountain.
      Posts
      24,544
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-15-2020 04:09 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      You're not going to use that ish on the street
      Not if you fall off a cliff.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2019
      Posts
      289
      09-15-2020 05:27 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      You're not going to use that ish on the street
      hind sight 20/20
      Boiler Up!

    18. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      17,899
      Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-15-2020 05:36 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6.3 View Post
      hind sight 20/20
      Could you imagine someone pulling a parachute on the highway

      At the track he would have hit the sand pit at like 120+ mph with no brakes and no chute. On the street he coasted for like five miles and didn't hit anything at all

    19. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      17,284
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      09-15-2020 06:01 PM #118
      If I was the passenger in that car it would have come to "You need to stop this f*cking car right now, stuff it, do something, or I'm about to start punching you in the ear until you do".

      Risking a life over saving an economy car? Get the f*ck out of here with that bullsh*t.
      Instagram - efrie004

      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

    20. Member ohiodub_99.5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2007
      Location
      Cinci
      Posts
      10,746
      Vehicles
      2019 Alltrack, 2018 Tiguan
      09-15-2020 08:56 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Could you imagine someone pulling a parachute on the highway

      At the track he would have hit the sand pit at like 120+ mph with no brakes and no chute. On the street he coasted for like five miles and didn't hit anything at all
      At the track his chute would have been prepped to deploy, and he’d have a chance of less damage to the car because there would have been appropriate safety equipment on hand to deal with said fire...

      not just one jackass with an extinguisher that looked like they got it in a happy-meal ...
      Last edited by ohiodub_99.5; 09-15-2020 at 09:01 PM.
      /| OMGHAI |\ GFG/Marrakesh/6-spd/S

    21. Learning New Things Every Day. GreenandChrome's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2002
      Location
      COVID-19 Ground 0 - USA
      Posts
      16,758
      Vehicles
      '12 Earth F****r Limited EL; '12 A4q; '18 UBM Q3q
      09-15-2020 09:40 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      If I was the passenger in that car it would have come to "You need to stop this f*cking car right now, stuff it, do something, or I'm about to start punching you in the ear until you do".

      Risking a life over saving an economy car? Get the f*ck out of here with that bullsh*t.
      Driver didn't want to "wreck the car." They had ample time to stop via steel-to-concrete friction. He was burning up and he says, "I'm looking for a good spot to pull over."
      "Excluding the possibility that a female Scandinavian Olympian was running around outside our house last night, what else might be a possibility?"
      If someone you know is afflicted with Dunning-Kruger, please help. #knowthecure
      @mbull | instagram #imhardlyeverserious
      __________________________________________ #srtallthethings

    22. Member rammalammadingdong's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2007
      Location
      Norf
      Posts
      1,527
      Vehicles
      One SUV, One CUV, One Hairdressermobile
      09-15-2020 09:57 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Driver didn't want to "wreck the car." They had ample time to stop via steel-to-concrete friction. He was burning up and he says, "I'm looking for a good spot to pull over."
      ....or was making sure it burnt the f to the ground

      #conspiracytheories

      Make insurance claims great again!

    23. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      17,284
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6
      09-16-2020 10:33 AM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Driver didn't want to "wreck the car." They had ample time to stop via steel-to-concrete friction. He was burning up and he says, "I'm looking for a good spot to pull over."
      Exactly.

      Um, dude. You're car is f*cked.

      Now let's get out before we are as well.
      Instagram - efrie004

      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2nd, 2010
      Posts
      2,036
      09-16-2020 10:46 AM #123
      I always thought the purpose of a drogue chute was not to primarily slow you down but to give you enhanced handling ability to keep you in a straight line when you let off when finishing a run. The drag lowers the amount of wiggle and lengthens the vehicle physics and keeps the rear wheels straight.

      This is also why i am decidedly not a fan of an electronic parking brake. I would rather have at least one fully analog cable safety system in case of a catastrophic failure like this, even though it was 99.9% user error in being in such a situation.

    25. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      So IN
      Posts
      43,934
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle, '92 Ranger, '08 Fit
      09-16-2020 10:54 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I always thought the purpose of a drogue chute was not to primarily slow you down but to give you enhanced handling ability to keep you in a straight line when you let off when finishing a run. The drag lowers the amount of wiggle and lengthens the vehicle physics and keeps the rear wheels straight.

      This is also why i am decidedly not a fan of an electronic parking brake. I would rather have at least one fully analog cable safety system in case of a catastrophic failure like this, even though it was 99.9% user error in being in such a situation.
      Agreed on both counts, but the drag chute does double-duty in that regard.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    26. Member Jimmy Russells's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver
      Posts
      17,899
      Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      09-16-2020 11:09 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I always thought the purpose of a drogue chute was not to primarily slow you down but to give you enhanced handling ability to keep you in a straight line when you let off when finishing a run. The drag lowers the amount of wiggle and lengthens the vehicle physics and keeps the rear wheels straight.
      That's somewhat true for a dragster with large bias ply tires on the rear but not so much with a car like this

    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.