VWVortex.com - what's the most affordable to get new key fob for '16 Tig
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: what's the most affordable to get new key fob for '16 Tig

1. Junior Member
      09-02-2020 12:29 PM #1
      Hi all, 2016 Tiguan with push button start. I have 2 key fobs and 1 key to for door\. 1 key fob is dead, replaced battery and no transmit red light, so can only unlock the door. 1 key fob is working and just replaced the battery but once every 5 tries or so when I try to start it dashboard says key not in range. I'm looking for suggestions on the most affordable way to get this resolved.
      Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-02-2020 08:06 PM #2
      2016.... Warranty???!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 1.8T Jetta GLS 09A Tiptronic
      09-03-2020 06:32 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dknj View Post
      Hi all, 2016 Tiguan with push button start. I have 2 key fobs and 1 key to for door\. 1 key fob is dead, replaced battery and no transmit red light, so can only unlock the door. 1 key fob is working and just replaced the battery but once every 5 tries or so when I try to start it dashboard says key not in range. I'm looking for suggestions on the most affordable way to get this resolved.
      Thanks
      Search online for the manual process of holding the key next to the steering column where you would normally insert the key to start the car. It may just be that you have to perform this recognition to get them to function.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      09-03-2020 10:33 PM #4
      I will give holding the key next to the steering column to perform recognition a try tomorrow Ianator157. Thanks for the suggestion. My warranty was up in 2019 if not sooner nford.
      Thanks

7. Junior Member
      09-07-2020 09:48 AM #5
      No luck. I tried the unlock button on remote, then unlocked the driverside door within 1 minute, and was not able to resync the Fob. Still says key not in range, even if I hold it up next to the steering column. led light on Fob comes on (since replacing the battery) and it opens the door. Any other suggestions?

09-18-2020 07:53 AM #6
      Here is a thought - if it’s not a KESSY system (I don’t know exactly how that works).

Get a used on on ebay, then get a virgin immobilizer chip. Open up the new (was to you) remote and swap in the new chip. A locksmith who does VW Audi, Mercedes, etc. would also have these new chips.

Then you’ll need a locksmith to read the security code from your car, then you can have them adapt it or you can adapt it with VCDS (if you have it). I looked into this you can buy the locksmith software but it’s like a thousand dollars and you may need to show you are a locksmith.

I broke my immobilizer chip swapping the case on my remote - I had issues with buttons not working. Anyways it cost me about 250 for the locksmith. He cut out a chip from a new valet key he had and popped it in, read the code and readapted the new key and chip to my car.

I’m not sure if the KESSY one has different antenna in it or otherwise.