Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-New 2022 Hyundai Tucson

09-03-2020 05:57 PM #1
      I know this definitely won't be to everyone's liking, but Hyundai/Kia continue to kill it with their onslaught of new and/or improved vehicles. This makes everything in the segment look 1-2 generations behind IMO.

PRESS RELEASE:

-The all-new Hyundai Tucson is the first C-SUV in its class to be available in both short and long wheelbases, depending on the region, to meet diverse market needs

-Tucson’s ‘Parametric Dynamics’ exterior design theme features bold, angular surfaces and cutting-edge illumination

-The new dual cockpit layout is intuitively optimized for a high-tech user experience

SEOUL, September 2, 2020– Hyundai Motor Company today revealed the first images of its all-new Tucson. New design highlights include the latest evolution of Hyundai’s signature headlamp architecture called ‘Parametric Hidden Lights’ and a dual cockpit layout that offers personalized space intuitively optimized for a high-tech user experience. The images hint at innovative features befitting Tucson’s signature boldness and pioneering spirit.

The all-new Tucson’s world premiere press conference will be streamed online around the world on September 15th*at 9:30 a.m. KST. The livestream, a teaser video and images are available at hyundai.com and Hyundai’s social media channels.

For its fourth generation, Hyundai took the all-new Tucson to the next level of automotive design, making it the first C-SUV in its class to be available in two different dimensions, while sharing the same name.

“The mission of ‘Sensuous Sportiness’ is to elevate the emotional qualities of automotive design. We want our customers to feel moved. With the all-new Tucson, we are introducing its ultimate evolution and a definitive statement about Hyundai’s unstoppable forward momentum,” said SangYup Lee, Senior Vice President and Head of Hyundai Global Design Center. “Tucson’s advanced, experimental design is true to its pioneering spirit and raises the game in the industry’s most competitive segment.”

Hyundai’s ‘Sensuous Sportiness’ design identity, first introduced on the new Elantra, brings an emotional punch to Tucson’s avant-garde ‘Parametric Dynamics’ design theme.

The ‘Parametric Dynamics’ exterior that makes a strong first impression

The all-new Tucson’s advanced exterior styling expresses what Hyundai designers call ‘Parametric Dynamics’ with kinetic jewel-like surface details that will have people doing a double take. Parametric Hidden Lights provide a strong first impression. These signature DRLs (daytime running lights) are seamlessly integrated into the jewel-like grille, only revealed when turned on.

Overall, the new Tucson’s body is bigger and wider than previous generation models, offering a long hood and short overhangs on a stretched wheelbase that give it a slinky coupé-like character. From the side, angular body panels offer yet another interpretation of parametric design. Chiseled surfaces create a striking contrast between sleek silhouette and masculine wedge, suggesting forward motion even when standing still. Taut athletic shapes seamlessly merge into angular wheel arches where alloy wheels provide a powerful and dynamic stance.

An ‘INTERSPACE’ with an integrated interface

Getting into the all-new Tucson’s spacious interior, or INTERSPACE, is like entering a neatly organized room where everyday concerns disappear, not unlike the feeling of a modern boutique hotel where your comfort and convenience are the utmost priority. In the new Tucson, space, technology and information intersect harmoniously.

The evolution of Tucson’s interior layout led to a lower instrument display and removal of the gauge cluster housing for a decluttered surface. Layered, sensuous forms reinforce the feeling of openness. The broad ridge of the dashboard blends seamlessly with the doors, wrapping around front occupants like a deep gorge. The vertically oriented, fully integrated center fascia descends to the console like a mighty waterfall. Twin silver garnish lines streaming from the center fascia to the rear doors harmonize neatly layered premium surface materials in complementary neutral tones.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-03-2020 06:00 PM #2
      I might like this.

4. Member
      09-03-2020 06:01 PM #3
      Exterior looks ford-ish

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      09-03-2020 06:10 PM #4
      The exterior looks like a win, if they include a good EV version, I think it will be more compelling than the VW ID.whatever
      ||||||||||||||
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      09-03-2020 06:18 PM #5
      Now it makes sense why Ford got rid of the Edge.... Hyundai is making it now
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

09-03-2020 06:22 PM #6
      I love what Hyundai is doing with their designs. Kia and Genesis too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      09-03-2020 06:27 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      The all-new Hyundai Tucson is the first C-SUV in its class to be available in both short and long wheelbases, depending on the region, to meet diverse market needs
      Is the Tiguan not a C-SUV available in two wheelbases, depending on region, to meet diverse market needs? Not sure

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      09-03-2020 06:49 PM #8
      Minus the interior, I like it

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-03-2020 06:51 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Is the Tiguan not a C-SUV available in two wheelbases, depending on region, to meet diverse market needs? Not sure

This looks interesting. Very curious to see what happens with the Sportage.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

09-03-2020 07:19 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Tiguan and Rogue (although it goes by two different names: X-Trial and Qashqai outside North America).

And I'd argue Mazda CX-5 and CX-8 is another one (identical until the B-pillar) but CX-8 is only sold in JDM and a few other places.

Vehicles
      2020 Civic Type R, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      09-03-2020 07:20 PM #11
      I hope it drives itself. Otherwise you are going to crash it trying to turn on the climate control. That console looks like capacitive touch hell. I like the exterior though.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      09-03-2020 07:52 PM #12
      I really like the exterior. I'm not a fan of the current styling with the DRL slits at the top of the nose with headlights located in the bumper.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-03-2020 08:17 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Tiguan and Rogue (although it goes by two different names: X-Trial and Qashqai outside North America).

And I'd argue Mazda CX-5 and CX-8 is another one (identical until the B-pillar) but CX-8 is only sold in JDM and a few other places.
      And don't forget that the first-ever CUV came in two wheelbases

Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      09-03-2020 08:24 PM #14
      Wouldn't be the first time Hyundai claimed an incorrect "first". Maybe ice4life can email the FTC about this.
      ಠ_ಠ

09-03-2020 09:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      And don't forget that the first-ever CUV came in two wheelbases

Sure, the 1st and 2nd gen 2 door had short wheelbase but that's not exactly what Hyundai is saying. However, the 3rd gen RAV4 was sold with two different wheelbases depending on market, preceding Tiguan, Rogue, CX-5/8, and Tucson by a decade.

SWB

LWB

Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      09-03-2020 10:07 PM #16
      Hyundai doesn't always the best styling evolution (2019 Elantra front-end and Venue), but the new Sonata and now this are on the right track.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 1981 Vanagon
      09-03-2020 10:50 PM #17
      Ford sold the Explorer in two lengths beginning in 1990 (MY 1991). It probably was not the first SUV to do so.

Last edited by Alpinweiss2; 09-03-2020 at 11:03 PM.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

19. Member
      09-03-2020 11:44 PM #18
      Sure, the 1st and 2nd gen 2 door had short wheelbase but that's not exactly what Hyundai is saying. However, the 3rd gen RAV4 was sold with two different wheelbases depending on market, preceding Tiguan, Rogue, CX-5/8, and Tucson by a decade.

SWB

LWB
      Never knew this

Wouldnt ind a V6 with an exhaust that could make it sound more lotus like

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      09-03-2020 11:48 PM #19
      Cool. Current one is pretty plain. I've been pretty impressed with every H/K product I've been in recently.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-04-2020 07:53 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      Never knew this

Wouldnt ind a V6 with an exhaust that could make it sound more lotus like
      I'm pretty sure all the Lotus stuff bolts on. Lot of final drive options too. There were like 4 days I was thinking about an old Camry V6

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      09-04-2020 08:11 AM #21
      Not that I like it, but it looks like Hyundai is getting close to Tesla with that interior. Either way, Tucson is a nice city, can't really say the same about the meh though.
      You can’t take advantage of “record low” gas prices when you have nowhere to drive. And it’s not really more affordable if you don’t have a paycheck to buy it with.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      09-04-2020 08:25 AM #22
      Wayyy too much Ford Edge and Mercedes EQC in the front for me.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 MINI R55S; 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
      09-04-2020 03:21 PM #23
      The second generation Tracker/Vitara also sold in multiple wheelbases, although I can’t recall off the top of my head if it was unibody or BoF.

25. Member
      09-04-2020 07:22 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      The exterior looks like a win, if they include a good EV version, I think it will be more compelling than the VW ID.whatever
      Hybrid and PHEV (may not see the PHEV hete, at least not at first).

Doubt that there will be a full electric as that's what the Ioniq sub-brand is for (thus far, 2 planned CUVs).

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I love what Hyundai is doing with their designs. Kia and Genesis too.
      Think it's been a mixed bag, esp. for Hyundai.

While should be commended for going back to taking risks and making their lineup more distinctive, a lot of times such endeavors don't work out for the best.

Oddly enough, think the Hyundai model with the best design (inside and out) is one that is no longer available here (the FL Grandeur - formerly known here as the Azera).

Modern and futuristic looking (making it look distinctive in a sea of mundane sedans) without being overly weird or awkward.

But something like the Sonata, the catfish grille for the turbo variants ruins what is otherwise a decent design; and the Palisade is just a bit too busy/weird all around.

The new Elantra has too much going on at its side, but still better than the outgoing FL model which is simply horrendous (the pre-FL was so much better).

More so than for sheet metal, where Hyundai has stepped up its game is in the designs for its dashes/interiors.
      Last edited by CP1; 09-04-2020 at 07:30 PM.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan Highline, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
      09-05-2020 01:33 AM #25

Yeah I wouldn't really call the Rogue and Rogue Sport the same car with different wheelbases. Engines also differ. This is more so the same as the LWB Tiguan in North America and the SWB Tiguan in Europe.

Also FYI the Rogue Sport is called the Qashqai in Canada...so it's only outside of the US.
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

If the next GTI has over 300 hp off the showroom floor, I'll eat my airedale.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast