VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-New 2022 Hyundai Tucson

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-05-2020 01:50 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by BLK9GEN View Post
      I know this definitely won't be to everyone's liking, but Hyundai/Kia continue to kill it with their onslaught of new and/or improved vehicles. This makes everything in the segment look 1-2 generations behind IMO.
      Looks like a ford edge with different taillights. I wonder if this drives well or like trash. H/K can go either way it seems
      "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver."

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-05-2020 02:17 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Qashqai outside North America
      is the NA Qashqai something else? or does Canada not get the "Rogue"

09-05-2020 09:51 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      Looks like a ford edge with different taillights. I wonder if this drives well or like trash. H/K can go either way it seems
      Genuinely curious to hear which of their current models drives like trash in your opinion.

Also, I remember many people saying the current generation looked like a Ford Edge from the front when it came out too, and while I see it I've personally never confused the two in person. I'm just glad it doesn't have the ugly catfish mouth found on the Sonata.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BLK9GEN; 09-05-2020 at 09:58 AM.
      2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD
      2015 Kia Soul + Special Edition

Love one another

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-05-2020 12:10 PM #29
      Genuinely curious to hear which of their current models drives like trash in your opinion.
      I got a Sportagé rental with 6 miles on it in December. For $26k it was terrible. The powertrain was pretty competent but got poor mileage (low 20s mixed). It was nicely equipped and the dash, infotainment and autonomous features were great (auto steering was MUCH better than our Corolla's). The door panels/cards were super cheap and brittle/hollow/scratchy sounding and the suspension was just awful - the damping is still not dialed in (waaaay underdamped).

The first inch of travel is very stiff so there are lots of little jitters. But after that it is super soft and rolls around and nosedives under braking, so it makes it feel like you're driving way more aggressively than you actually are (to passengers). And if you hit moderate bumps or crawl over speed bumps, it quickly uses up all the travel and crashes down onto the bump stops, with some rebounding.

Our Corolla, not exactly a sporty vehicle, felt like a low-slung, taut sports car when I got back into it.
      Last edited by adrew; 09-05-2020 at 02:44 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

6. Member
      09-05-2020 02:38 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      The door panels/cards were super cheap and brittle/hollow/scratchy sounding and the suspension was just awful - the damping is still not dialed in (waaaay underdamped).
      Really, same gripes I had with the last gen accent I rented on a vacation years ago.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      09-05-2020 02:53 PM #31
      The first inch of travel is very stiff so there are lots of little jitters. But after that it is super soft and rolls around and nosedives under braking, so it makes it feel like you're driving way more aggressively than you actually are (to passengers). And if you hit moderate bumps or crawl over speed bumps, it quickly uses up all the travel and crashes down onto the bump stops, with some rebounding.
      Add the current Soul and Rio to that list as well, out of control axle hop also. You know what's a nice driving car for the same price point? a regular old VW Golf 1.4. I think the day has come for Hyundai/Kia to be more than a spec sheet and a flashy sketch.

09-05-2020 03:08 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      I think the day has come for Hyundai/Kia to be more than a spec sheet and a flashy sketch.
      I’d say the Palisade and Telluride indicate that the time has already arrived. I think they’ve just gotten smarter about when and where they spend their money.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-05-2020 03:25 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I’d say the Palisade and Telluride indicate that the time has already arrived. I think they’ve just gotten smarter about when and where they spend their money.
      Eh, we'll see. They're still selling on styling and features with a lack of mechanical elegance, reliability and longevity, IMO.

With every new H/K vehicle, there are always statements like "They're finally ready to play with the big dogs." Well, I remember reading absolutely gushing reviews about the NF Sonata in 2006. Hell, I even bought one after having a great experience with a rental. It was good for four years -- I wish I would have spent an extra couple of grand for a Camry -- I mean, we'd probably still have it.

Then, the swoopy Jeff Bridges-voiced SuperBowl Sonata received even more fanfare in 2011. When's the last time you saw one of those on the road?
      Last edited by adrew; 09-05-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      09-06-2020 10:48 AM #34
      Eh, we'll see. They're still selling on styling and features with a lack of mechanical elegance, reliability and longevity, IMO.

With every new H/K vehicle, there are always statements like "They're finally ready to play with the big dogs." Well, I remember reading absolutely gushing reviews about the NF Sonata in 2006. Hell, I even bought one after having a great experience with a rental. It was good for four years -- I wish I would have spent an extra couple of grand for a Camry -- I mean, we'd probably still have it.

Then, the swoopy Jeff Bridges-voiced SuperBowl Sonata received even more fanfare in 2011. When's the last time you saw one of those on the road?

2011 - 2019 Sonatas, Santa Fe's and Tucsons with the 2.4 Theta and 2.0t Theta engines now have a lifetime warranty regardless of mileage.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-06-2020 11:13 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      2011 - 2019 Sonatas, Santa Fe's and Tucsons with the 2.4 Theta and 2.0t Theta engines now have a lifetime warranty regardless of mileage.
      They have the warranty for a reason

Outside of those engines- which admittedly was like 1/2 the H/K cars on the road from the last decade- they're not that bad. The 6AT is solid, and even the most loaded ones hold up OK equipment wise. My FIL has had my old '13 Optima 2.0T for like a year now, and the only issue they've had was a loose rear view mirror (which I fixed for $50). Everything else works- heated + cooled seats, pano sunroof (with no leaks), A/C blows ice cold etc, and that specific engine has been fine.

What got me most about it was how absolutely ****ty it was to drive. Stability control was overly aggressive, to the point that just making a right turn onto a fast road would kick it off and kill power for like 2-3 seconds. Suspension tuning sucked. And there was absolutely no NVH control I could see, so it was insanely loud on the highway. I feel like they have fixed much of that over the years though.
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

09-09-2020 02:57 PM #36
      A couple additional interior sketches and surprisingly scenic and beautiful testing footage (brief interior shot at around 8:42)

https://youtu.be/dkPl0dlom64

Last edited by BLK9GEN; 09-09-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Love one another

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      09-09-2020 03:19 PM #37
      Not the same, but similar visual concept.

14. Member
      09-09-2020 08:59 PM #38
      H/K has been more reliable than Honda (and even more so, Acura) for some time now (yes, they have had their own issues like every automaker.

Speaking of lacking mechanical elegance, the H/K 8 spd is one of the smoothest shifting ATs around.

There are still complaints about how the transmission shifts in the new Highlander when pressing down on the pedal (was even worse on the previous Highlander).
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-09-2020 09:40 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      H/K has been more reliable than Honda (and even more so, Acura) for some time now (yes, they have had their own issues like every automaker.

Speaking of lacking mechanical elegance, the H/K 8 spd is one of the smoothest shifting ATs around.

There are still complaints about how the transmission shifts in the new Highlander when pressing down on the pedal (was even worse on the previous Highlander).
      The perennial H/K complaint is the suspension tuning. Initially, their cars were waaaay too soft. Then it went too far the other way, like nervous and twitchy, with poor damping like the outgoing Elantra. The shocks were totally shot in our '07 by 50k miles (and it even had a wishbone front end). It would wallow in turns and bottom out on undulations in the road (scraping the front undertray), then rebound a few times. The Sportage I mentioned was brand new and the suspension was absolutely terrible. Rear seat passengers were giving me static for driving aggressively when I was trying to be extra smooth -- there was no good way to go over speed bumps. Even creeping over them, it was stiff and bouncy the first bit of suspension travel, then it would push through and rebound off the bump stops. Boiiiiiing. Just not acceptable. I guess it's fine if you care more about features than solid engineering.

Our Corolla is as old as our Sonata when we decided to ditch it at 55k for feeling tired. The Corolla still feels/sounds/drives like it's new; the Sonata felt like a Honda with 250k on it, all loose and clunky.

By elegance I mean that the engineering makes sense, it isn't overly complicated, nothing is in the way of anything else under the hood, there are thoughtful mechanical design touches engineered by fanatical people instead of just checking off feature boxes etc etc etc. Not an extra slushy transmission or alcantara sunvisors. I was swayed by features a few times and won't be again.

09-10-2020 06:46 AM #40
      Ban OP for posting a concept POS like it's production
      Proud long-term employee at TheRetrofitSource family of companies

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-10-2020 07:29 AM #41
      I was swayed by features a few times and won't be again.
      This is a great way to describe H/K in the mid teens. I really feel like they've turned a corner on the details though. I wouldn't consider any of their products for myself but their family haulers look solid now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

09-10-2020 09:08 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Ban OP for posting a concept POS like it's production
      I posted the production model. This is the concept.

Last edited by BLK9GEN; 09-10-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Love one another

09-10-2020 09:24 AM #43
      The perennial H/K complaint is the suspension tuning. Initially, their cars were waaaay too soft. Then it went too far the other way, like nervous and twitchy, with poor damping like the outgoing Elantra. The shocks were totally shot in our '07 by 50k miles (and it even had a wishbone front end). It would wallow in turns and bottom out on undulations in the road (scraping the front undertray), then rebound a few times. The Sportage I mentioned was brand new and the suspension was absolutely terrible. Rear seat passengers were giving me static for driving aggressively when I was trying to be extra smooth -- there was no good way to go over speed bumps. Even creeping over them, it was stiff and bouncy the first bit of suspension travel, then it would push through and rebound off the bump stops. Boiiiiiing. Just not acceptable. I guess it's fine if you care more about features than solid engineering.

Our Corolla is as old as our Sonata when we decided to ditch it at 55k for feeling tired. The Corolla still feels/sounds/drives like it's new; the Sonata felt like a Honda with 250k on it, all loose and clunky.

By elegance I mean that the engineering makes sense, it isn't overly complicated, nothing is in the way of anything else under the hood, there are thoughtful mechanical design touches engineered by fanatical people instead of just checking off feature boxes etc etc etc. Not an extra slushy transmission or alcantara sunvisors. I was swayed by features a few times and won't be again.
      I'm truly wondering how many actual recent H/K/G vehicles you have first hand experience in because you seem to be so hung up on a vehicle that was engineered the better part of 2 decades ago. You bring it in every Hyundai post (twice in this thread alone) to the point where it seems more than a bit obsessive. I had horrible experiences with both my MKIV Golf and B5.5 Passat but I don't search out every VW thread to rehash the same garbage. The Hyundai you experienced was just weening itself of off crappy Mitsubishi developed engines. They didn't have a design language to speak of. And they certainly didn't sell on their merits the way a new Veloster N, Palisade/Telluride, G70/80/90, Stinger, etc. all do. They sold simply because of the price, warranty and 'new car' factor.

In reference specifically to vehicle tuning they didn't hire BMW engineers for nothing and it shows in the way every one of their new vehicles ride/handle compared to just 4-5 years ago.

Last edited by BLK9GEN; 09-10-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Love one another

09-10-2020 10:40 AM #44
      I'm truly wondering how many actual recent H/K/G vehicles you have first hand experience in because you seem to be so hung up on a vehicle that was engineered the better part of 2 decades ago. You bring it in every Hyundai post (twice in this thread alone) to the point where it seems more than a bit obsessive. I had horrible experiences with both my MKIV Golf and B5.5 Passat but I don't search out every VW thread to rehash the same garbage. The Hyundai you experienced was just weening itself of off crappy Mitsubishi developed engines. They didn't have a design language to speak of. And they certainly didn't sell on their merits the way a new Veloster N, Palisade/Telluride, G70/80/90, Stinger, etc. all do. They sold simply because of the price, warranty and 'new car' factor.

In reference specifically to vehicle tuning they didn't hire BMW engineers for nothing and it shows in the way every one of their new vehicles ride/handle compared to just 4-5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-10-2020 10:58 AM #45
      Didn't mean to trigger. I saw my choices in the rental lot at Christmas and enthusiastically took the Sportage since it had 6 miles on it and the other choices were a Kicks and a Kona. I hadn't driven any Hyundai products in a few years and was excited to see how a current model drove. Like I said, it was nicely equipped, the engine was smooth and strong and the transmission was competent — but it only got low 20s MPG in easy driving. And the suspension was just terrible, leaning and rolling around and rebounding off the bump stops with four people inside (maybe 550 lbs all together).

I have also driven a 2018 Elantra which was too far in the opposite direction -- like too stiff/flinty/skittery without being sporty or fun (steering was slow and dead). But I haven't driven any Hyundais that are $30k+ and would not consider one when you can get a Toyota hybrid for that kind of money. Our Corolla feels like it has about a foot more suspension travel than the outgoing Elantra, just way more comfortable and composed.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-10-2020 11:10 AM #46
      I'm truly wondering how many actual recent H/K/G vehicles you have first hand experience in because you seem to be so hung up on a vehicle that was engineered the better part of 2 decades ago.
      He had one sonata which I believe was referred to as the NF generation (04-09). Dude makes it seem like Hyundai peed in his cheerios on the daily. But the reality is that few of his complaints are actually problems or failures. I own a newer Hyundai (previous gen Tucson with 153k miles) and have rented a few newer ones. Our vehicle is a 2011. It rattles---yes it does. None of my German cars were rattle-free at even 30k miles. That doesn't bother me. Is the car in the shop all the time or does it feel like it's falling apart? That's what I care about. It's been a great vehicle for its intended purpose. A drivers side power window switch and AC compressor have been the only thing that's failed on us. All of the fluids have been changed at least once and I'm fairly strict on the oil changes. Never had even a hiccup with the motor. I feel like I could get an easy 200k miles out of it. As long as it makes it to 175k miles though, we'll have gotten good use out of it.

It's not a perfect car. It's really slow and it's fairly boring to drive. But it's also about 3-4x nicer, even with 153k miles, than my wife's previous Saturn SC2 with just 100k miles. That car was embarrassingly horrible, particularly due to the automatic.

09-10-2020 05:31 PM #47
      https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/ne...-up-to-290-hp/

The new-generation Hyundai Tucson is just a few days out from its global debut and details about future N Line and N models have surfaced online.

It is understood that the Tucson N Line will come outfitted with a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine coupled to a hybrid system. This powertrain will reportedly pack a respectable 227 hp and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque, although it remains unclear if this variant will be front- or all-wheel drive.

South Korea’s Autospy adds that the flagship Tucson N will feature a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder that packs 286 hp and 311 lb-ft (421 Nm) of torque. This is the same engine that’s already available in the Kia K5 GT and is also set to power the Hyundai Sonata N-Line .

Up until this point, Hyundai’s full-blown N models like the i30 N and Veloster N have packed 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinders but, given the added size of the Tucson, it makes sense why it would pack a larger engine.

Beyond its powertrains, teaser images of the new Tucson have shown that it will adopt a radical new look. Up front, the new SUV will rock what Hyundai dubs a ‘jewel-like grille’ and incorporated within this grille will be unique geometric daytime running lights that will only be visible when turned on.

The interior of the new Tucson will also be dramatically different than the model that it replaces, sporting a four-spoke steering wheel, a digital instrument cluster and a large central touchscreen.

24. Member
      09-10-2020 05:46 PM #48

HAHA Great description my rental new Kia Rio a few years back felt like it had worn suspension even though it had 20k on it . Shocks constantly bottoming out felling wallowy

25. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      09-10-2020 06:20 PM #49
      I have also driven a 2018 Elantra which was too far in the opposite direction -- like too stiff/flinty/skittery without being sporty or fun (steering was slow and dead). But I haven't driven any Hyundais that are $30k+ and would not consider one when you can get a Toyota hybrid for that kind of money. Our Corolla feels like it has about a foot more suspension travel than the outgoing Elantra, just way more comfortable and composed.
      IDK, I've rented a few 17-18 Elantra and 2017-19 Corolla sedans like yours, and felt that yes, the Corolla is just a tad more composed, but they both were equally lethargic, and the Corolla SE that I also rented was slightly better, but only because of the 17 inch wheels. I could imagine the Elantra Sport having a much better suspension than any of these, and of course, better than my 09 XRS.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      09-10-2020 06:23 PM #50
      With regards to suspension tuning and refinement, Hyundai/Kia still have a lot of catching up to do. It seems they have stiff suspension as a way to address sportiness. I've had plenty of seat time with N-lines and VelNs and even Hyundai engineers will tell you the same thing. It makes for a busy ride that isn't necessarily sporty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast