VWVortex.com - Touareg Replace - Cross Sport
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Touareg Replace - Cross Sport

1. Junior Member
      09-06-2020 08:45 PM #1
      I am looking to replace my Touareg with a new vehicle. I would buy a new Touareg if VW would import to NA. Wondering if anyone has replaced a Touareg with a Cross Sport? If so, please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!
      Last edited by ChicagoT5; 09-06-2020 at 08:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      09-07-2020 08:33 AM #2
      Not exactly what your looking for. But, I have a good friend with one and I've driven it a good bit. The CS isn't the same. It's a good vehicle. I have SEL FWD v6 rline. But it's not the same. The Touareg was ahead of it's time in off-road tech. This is not. It's also massive compared to the Touareg. And no tdi which stinks in the CS. However, the CS has way better tech, saftey items, and room for gear and people in the back.

Otherwise, they aren't really the same. They handle very differently.

4. Junior Member
      09-08-2020 07:47 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoT5 View Post
      I am looking to replace my Touareg with a new vehicle. I would buy a new Touareg if VW would import to NA. Wondering if anyone has replaced a Touareg with a Cross Sport? If so, please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!
      look at the new land rover defender

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      09-09-2020 10:04 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by spike_africa View Post
      Not exactly what your looking for. But, I have a good friend with one and I've driven it a good bit. The CS isn't the same. It's a good vehicle. I have SEL FWD v6 rline. But it's not the same. The Touareg was ahead of it's time in off-road tech. This is not. It's also massive compared to the Touareg. And no tdi which stinks in the CS. However, the CS has way better tech, saftey items, and room for gear and people in the back.

Otherwise, they aren't really the same. They handle very differently.
      Thanks for the input. I don't need the off-road tech, but I do enjoy how well the TReg drives, especially on rough country roads. In particulate, I find the steering, brakes, and suspension much to my liking. Just wondering if the Atlas drives as well.

I should prolly just go drive one (ugh, I hate the dealership experience).

7. Junior Member
      09-09-2020 10:05 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by samwoo View Post
      look at the new land rover defender
      Interesting, I was not even aware of this vehicle. It is a contender. The one downside I see is that while the towing capacity is quite high (8,201), the "unbraked" limit is only 1,653 lbs. Certainly with a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 3.6 4Motion R-Line, 2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-09-2020 06:01 PM #6
      Thanks for the input. I don't need the off-road tech, but I do enjoy how well the TReg drives, especially on rough country roads. In particulate, I find the steering, brakes, and suspension much to my liking. Just wondering if the Atlas drives as well.

I should prolly just go drive one (ugh, I hate the dealership experience).
      Given what you like about your TReg, I think a Cayman (used or new, depending on your budget) or even a Q7 would be more similar to what you're used to, both in dynamics as well as refinement and premium feel.

Atlas drives just fine, but it's more like a supersized Golf than a true luxury/premium vehicle. That said, the Atlas gives you significant value for money (hence the one in my garage).

Like you said, best to drive one and see what you think.

Vehicles
      2014 Touareg, 2020 Atlas Cross Sport
      09-10-2020 03:13 AM #7

Thanks!
      I have both in my driveway. The '14 Treg is my brides car, we both love everything about it. She's not a fan of the Cross Sport says it's too big with too much tech. These are night and day different, in just about every aspect. The CS will not drive like the Treg, its much softer but more comfortable. It feels MUCH wider and it is bigger, rear passenger seating area is incredibly spacious.

Some say the Touareg is a poor man's Porsche Cayenne and these cars are very close in design/function. Some say the Cross Sport is a poor man's Audi Q8...designs are similar but i think it ends there.

Bottom line you will not find a vehicle as capable, stout, sure-footed and confidence inspiring on ANY road condition with a VW badge on it, other than a Touareg. The Cayenne, if Porsche still makes it, IS a direct replacement. An Audi Q7 is based on the same platform but with the chassis stretched (10.5"?) to allow for 3rd row seating.

Good luck in your searching and let us know what you come up with.
      Current - 2014 CGM Touareg 3.6L | 2020 PGM Atlas Cross Sport SEL 3.6L
      Past - 1966 Beetle | 1978 AW Scirocco CEII | 1997 TR Jetta GT | 2003 TR GTI VR6 | 2005.5 PGM New Jetta | 2013 DBP GTI | 2013 CW Tiguan | 2014 Blk Passat 1.8T | 2017 PW CC
      @fuelly

10. Junior Member
      09-12-2020 11:16 PM #8
      We are over an hour from the nearest VW dealer, but errands today took us near a high volume dealer. They had a car on the lot equipped exactly as I wold order, so we stopped in to take a look. The CS was exactly as described. I loved the electronics, front seats were comfy, and the engine and transmission solved all of the issues I have with my Touareg (poor throttle response, reluctance to downshift, holding gears way too long, etc). The steering was a little to quick and light, but otherwise, not bad. The brakes were okay, and the switches and knobs felt cheap. The overall ergonomics were good, and I liked the spaciousness and utility. The back seat, as mentioned above, is very spacious. My biggest complaint is the 60/40 seat: I really prefer a 40/20/40 rear seat. Overall, for the money, it is a great vehicle.

Just down the street was a Jaguar/LandRover dealer. They had almost no cars in stock! Did not have a Defender in stock. Said they can't keep them in stock. I drove a F-Pace S, which I really liked. However, the cost is 50% more than the Cross Sport.
      Last edited by ChicagoT5; 09-14-2020 at 12:27 PM.

11. Junior Member
      09-19-2020 08:20 PM #9
      After nearly purchasing a Jaguar F-Pace (very strange dealership experience), I ended up with a silver Cross Sport SEL Premium R-Line. So glad I did not waste a ton of money on the Jag. As a added bonus, I had a great dealership experience: super friendly, no pressure, no haggling, just really nice people. Why aren't all dealers like this?

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 3.6 4Motion R-Line, 2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      09-19-2020 09:55 PM #10
      Congrats! Hope it works out well for you.

Vehicles
      2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      09-20-2020 08:36 AM #11
      Nice! Don't forget to give us update on how it compares to the Touareg after you've gotten settled into it. We'd love to see what you think about the vehicles compared.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
      PREVIOUS: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT, 2012 VW Passat SEL Premium, 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T

14. 09-26-2020 09:06 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMcGoven View Post
      Nice! Don't forget to give us update on how it compares to the Touareg after you've gotten settled into it. We'd love to see what you think about the vehicles compared.
      Having a T-Reg 2 replaced with an Atlas 2018: Poor choice (Wife's choice). On the second Atlas (2021) now. The Atlas is not even close. It's more like an inflated Jetta.
      Cayenne or Q7. Hands down. That's the same platform. My wife didn't like either of them because they had too many buttons and cupholders were to small. Sigh...