VWVortex.com - midlife crisis and I'm not even 40 yet... i'm bored I think and need to get a car for a while to feel better LOL
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 132

    Thread: midlife crisis and I'm not even 40 yet... i'm bored I think and need to get a car for a while to feel better LOL

    1. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,995
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      09-07-2020 09:04 PM #1
      I'm itching to buy something with a manual, I don't commute anymore .. .I have space for 1 more car in the garage and I WANT something that I can enjoy during the summer months and for everything else there's the RS3. Plan is to buy something that won't depreciate or might even appreciate in the next 2 years when I decide to get the RS6 CPO/USED, I can't mentally accept to lose 30-40k in value in 2 years .. this enables me to keep the RS3 .

      So contenders I'm thinking sofar ... small list but ...

      lowest mileage 2004 R32 I can find, found a couple but I'm not paying 44k for an R32 ... IDGAF who or what
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo with a Manual ... I like this body style the best


      Budget, well .. I'd like to stay under $65k if possible but for the right car .. I'll spend a little more. I found a few in AZ, white and privately owned for $65-68k ... I'd ideally fly down and drive it back but this needs to happen in the next 4-5 weeks otherwise it's gonna have to be trailered and then stored until spring.

      So car guru's ... help me search, point me to something that I can scratch this itch.

      PS: If there's something else that you think would be a good buy and fun to drive ... LMK, and no .. I'm not getting a Miata .

      EDIT *** :

      I like this but not manual ..

      https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/d/...175159637.html
      Last edited by SCHWAB0; 09-07-2020 at 09:11 PM.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2006
      Posts
      4,416
      Vehicles
      Something Slow
      09-07-2020 09:12 PM #2
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      Paging Toaster29 I love 997s and it seems like it would fit your requirements perfectly.

      Regarding R32s - would you be open to buying one that needs work and going from there?

      What about 987 Cayman R specs or spyders? Well under your budget.
      Someday: Porsche
      Today: Subaru Longroof
      Bygone: S4, '87 GTI 16V, '91 GLI 16V, '91 Vanagon, a few e30s and Jeeps.

    4. 09-07-2020 09:15 PM #3
      Buy the cleanest s2000 you can find. In two years, it’ll probably be worth more than you paid, even with another 10-15k on it.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2014
      Location
      Corning, NY
      Posts
      3,173
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      09-07-2020 09:15 PM #4
      NSX

    6. Member Atl-Atl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      7,688
      Vehicles
      2018 Texas Dirt Taco 2016 HD cafe bike 1978 Chebby Blazer
      09-07-2020 09:17 PM #5
      Im with Hufeisen either 911 or the most rowdy Cayman that fits your budget. R32 is too close to everything youve already owned, including that exact thing.

    7. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,995
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      09-07-2020 09:18 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Paging Toaster29 I love 997s and it seems like it would fit your requirements perfectly.

      Regarding R32s - would you be open to buying one that needs work and going from there?

      What about 987 Cayman R specs or spyders? Well under your budget.
      I've talked to Toaster29 .. he's telling me to get a 911 T ... I dunno I'm partial to the 2007s ... he gave me a ****ton of advice (for free even ) .. .and before I pull the trigger it'll go through him for approval .

      Depends what needs to be done on the R32... I want to enjoy it for a while and then get rid of it for basically what I paid for or a little more ... I don't want to wrench on it myself, nor do I want to rebuild engines
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    8. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,995
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      09-07-2020 09:19 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Chiropractor JW View Post
      Buy the cleanest s2000 you can find. In two years, it’ll probably be worth more than you paid, even with another 10-15k on it.
      I tried man ... can't find **** that doesn't have 200k miles on it ..

      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      NSX
      I don't fit in that thing ... I liked everything about it until I TRIED to sit in it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Atl View Post
      Im with Hufeisen either 911 or the most rowdy Cayman that fits your budget. R32 is too close to everything youve already owned, including that exact thing.
      Not a fan of the Caymans ... it's the nostalgia with the R32 more than anything else ... it's "cheap" and sounds awesome, but I'm afraid that ship might have sailed already ..
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    9. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      34,192
      Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      09-07-2020 09:39 PM #8
      Sounds like an Aston Martin V8 Vantage would be a good fit? I can't imagine it would depreciate.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    10. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,995
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      09-07-2020 09:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Sounds like an Aston Martin V8 Vantage would be a good fit? I can't imagine it would depreciate.
      do I dare ask about maintenance on those? I like the idea .. never driven one ... I'll see what's available in the area to get a closer look.

      I'm thinking doing something stupid like this ... (these one being top of my search as far as R32s are concerned, but resale has me worried on both of these)

      https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=207421572

      or this

      https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=278917426
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2008
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      535
      Vehicles
      V60, Type-R
      09-07-2020 09:46 PM #10
      E46 m3?

    12. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      34,192
      Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      09-07-2020 09:48 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by SCHWAB0 View Post
      do I dare ask about maintenance on those? I like the idea .. never driven one ... I'll see what's available in the area to get a closer look.

      I'm thinking doing something stupid like this ... (these one being top of my search as far as R32s are concerned, but resale has me worried on both of these)

      https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=207421572

      or this

      https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=278917426
      I'm no expert on Aston maintenance costs, but if you're used to paying Audi prices it probably won't be too bad.

      As much as I love the Mk4 R32, how much of those cars is now NLA/obsolete? I don't mind spending weeks or months tracking down a difficult to find part, but it's not for everyone.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    13. Member Atl-Atl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 6th, 2006
      Location
      Phoenix
      Posts
      7,688
      Vehicles
      2018 Texas Dirt Taco 2016 HD cafe bike 1978 Chebby Blazer
      09-07-2020 09:58 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      As much as I love the Mk4 R32, how much of those cars is now NLA/obsolete? I don't mind spending weeks or months tracking down a difficult to find part, but it's not for everyone.
      The AWD system is shared with the MK1 TT and the rest of the car is just an MKIV Golf. No issue whatsoever sourcing parts, especially with places like ECS.

    14. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,995
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      09-07-2020 10:00 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by sandwich-chris View Post
      E46 m3?
      I like this idea, never owned an M3 before, I'm also looking for an E39 M5 as well if I'm going down the BMW route.

      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I'm no expert on Aston maintenance costs, but if you're used to paying Audi prices it probably won't be too bad.

      As much as I love the Mk4 R32, how much of those cars is now NLA/obsolete? I don't mind spending weeks or months tracking down a difficult to find part, but it's not for everyone.
      Well only one that stung me was the B5 S4 LOL ... the RS3 is flawless and prepaid until 50k for maintenance (hey i learned the hard way). I've had one in 2012, parts were readily available ... most of them are Golf/Jetta crayon parts
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    15. Member _FLASH_'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2016
      Posts
      490
      Vehicles
      '16 sti
      09-07-2020 10:04 PM #14
      Why not find a nice low mile E92 M3?
      You'll probably make money on it in a few years.


    16. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 9th, 2014
      Location
      Corning, NY
      Posts
      3,173
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      09-07-2020 10:10 PM #15
      If you want an amazing sound, consider tracking down a nice 6MT E60 M5/M6. They're rare and probably already appreciating now.

    17. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,995
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      09-07-2020 10:13 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by _FLASH_ View Post
      Why not find a nice low mile E92 M3?
      You'll probably make money on it in a few years.

      I like the idea of one .. but it doesn't really feel as special as the E46 to me ...
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 14th, 2003
      Posts
      6,340
      09-07-2020 10:39 PM #17
      M coupe
      S2000 (clean ones come up for sale on s2ki forum)
      Lotus Exige

      Probably couldn't lose a penny on either of those!

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 18th, 2016
      Posts
      3,933
      09-07-2020 10:40 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      If you want an amazing sound, consider tracking down a nice 6MT E60 M5/M6. They're rare and probably already appreciating now.
      If he wants to hang out at his mechanic shop then he shoudl get one of these, horrid reliability

      I see many for a bargain
      , no disrespect

    20. Senior Member JustinCSVT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 3rd, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      21,740
      Vehicles
      '17 GTI Sport
      09-07-2020 11:22 PM #19
      No suggestions for Corvette or Viper? Well I'm putting them out there.

      EDIT: Some of these GenV Viper prices are ridiculous.

    21. Member SCHWAB0's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2004
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      7,995
      Vehicles
      RS3, TTRS, R32
      09-08-2020 02:08 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by yip View Post
      M coupe
      S2000 (clean ones come up for sale on s2ki forum)
      Lotus Exige

      Probably couldn't lose a penny on either of those!
      I like the M coupe idea ...lotus i'm probably too fat to get into ... S2000 ... meh .. not my cup of tea I think.

      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      If he wants to hang out at his mechanic shop then he shoudl get one of these, horrid reliability

      I see many for a bargain
      , no disrespect
      LOL ... I like the idea of the newer M5/6's but not the repairs for the 1-2 years I'd hold onto it.

      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      No suggestions for Corvette or Viper? Well I'm putting them out there.

      EDIT: Some of these GenV Viper prices are ridiculous.
      Not a Corvette guy TBH and Viper is too flash IMHO.
      Previous: '95 Talon AWD 2.0T | '98 GTI 2.0 | '00 Jetta 2.0 | '02 GLI 2.8 | '07 GTI 2.0T | '09 GLI 2.0T | '00 A4 2.8 | '04 R32 3.2 | '12 R 2.0T | '01 S4 2.7TT | '14 ST 1.6T | '12 R 2.0T | '16 R 2.0T | '17 R 2.0T | '18 RS3 2.5T | '13 TTRS 2.5T | '04 R32 3.2 |
      VW/Audi Installation YT Vids: Schwabo

    22. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      12,343
      09-08-2020 09:26 AM #21
      911 is the default answer. Everything else will be more risk. 911 aren’t cheap to care for but they’re easy to find independent specialists to work on them and they’re easy to sell as there is strong global demand for them.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2010
      Location
      wilmington DE
      Posts
      4,244
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair spyder, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1998 bmw 328i, 2001 C5, 2001 X5 5spd
      09-08-2020 09:50 AM #22
      C7 corvette or a super nice C6 and pocket the change. drive one if you havent yet. they will change your mind on the "mid life crisis" stigma
      Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    24. Member burgerbob's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2020
      Location
      lower leftern PA
      Posts
      419
      Vehicles
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 2 VW's
      09-08-2020 10:01 AM #23
      What about a Mustang variation? Boss 302's can be had for 30-40K and will pretty much stay there. GT350 is in your range and will also stay there because of the name. Both are tons of fun in real life and are pretty good track weapons right out of the box if you do that kind of thing. Maintenance is also on the cheap because Ford.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

      ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x2 (atlas cross sport, tiguan)

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      Whitefish, MT
      Posts
      11,483
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i
      09-08-2020 10:02 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      NSX
      That was the winner until I saw you don't fit.



      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      C7 corvette or a super nice C6 and pocket the change. drive one if you havent yet. they will change your mind on the "mid life crisis" stigma

      Still depreciating. Plus would you want one over a 2007 911 Turbo?


      Hard to argue with the 911 Turbo or 911T plan.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 25th, 2010
      Location
      wilmington DE
      Posts
      4,244
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair spyder, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1998 bmw 328i, 2001 C5, 2001 X5 5spd
      09-08-2020 10:08 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Still depreciating. Plus would you want one over a 2007 911 Turbo?


      Hard to argue with the 911 Turbo or 911T plan.
      with his budget he can get the C6 ZR1 which i cant see depreciating a whole lot more or at all but i dont follow markets to closely. a 911 turbo is a nice car. i think if it was between those 2 it would boil down to what kind of driving is being done. super tight twisty back roads (911) or more open road cruising with some back road (ZR1). either one will be a good and fun option though
      Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

    Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.